Happened to be timed perfectly as I moved from Sprint to Verizon for the original Storm (still remains my favorite phone of all time), then from Verizon to AT&T for the Passport. I clearly needed some GSM phones. To my luck, BlackBerry decided to put them up for sale.

A red Q5 would have also been included if the red Passport didn't leak. Was trying to justify the Q5, but will now just add a red Passport. Last I checked shopblackberry had 8 red ones left. Probably sold out now, thankfully as I know I would have grabbed one for $159.

Decided to change things up this time. Here is my new Passport with a white hard shell, oreo Z10, and oreo Z30 (with the Zs in the leather pocket pouches I had leftover from Verizon).

Pictures aren't the best and had to edit the brightness, but they all look great and compliment each other well with the black and white theme. Here goes:
    11-11-14 06:23 PM
    I picked up a white hardshell for mine as well. Adds a little something to it I think.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 10:04 PM
    Bought a Passport switched to AT&T and then spent 24 hours with awful service to zero service in my home. Got Microcell Tower, didn't help. Passport was amazing, so disappointed by returned it to ShopBlackBerry/Digital River. Back to Verizon and will settle for the Classic when it's available.
    11-11-14 10:14 PM
    I picked up a white hardshell for mine as well. Adds a little something to it I think.

Posted via CB10
    Same here. Started with a black hard shell, ended up ordering the white one after the shopblackberry sale since I was doing the whole "oreo" thing. I really like the white hard shell on the black Passport by itself as well. I like the way it looks with the design and of course the BB logo on the back. Definitely more interesting than the black. Much more premium looking than the TPU I had on it for a short time. That goes for either hard shell.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 12:26 AM
    Bought a Passport switched to AT&T and then spent 24 hours with awful service to zero service in my home. Got Microcell Tower, didn't help. Passport was amazing, so disappointed by returned it to ShopBlackBerry/Digital River. Back to Verizon and will settle for the Classic when it's available.
    Wow, that sucks! The Passport blows away the Z10/Z30. I'm saying this and I just bought the GSM Zs. I figured Verizon and AT&T had similar service in the US. Not sure where you are, but in the northeast I get LTE from all four carriers in my basement lol. Luckily they are phasing out CDMA, but will take some time. At least you tried; that's all you can do. More than a lot of people that are just complaining about the lack of a CDMA model did! Give you props for trying!

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 12:34 AM
    Wow, that sucks! The Passport blows away the Z10/Z30. I'm saying this and I just bought the GSM Zs. I figured Verizon and AT&T had similar service in the US. Not sure where you are, but in the northeast I get LTE from all four carriers in my basement lol. Luckily they are phasing out CDMA, but will take some time. At least you tried; that's all you can do. More than a lot of people that are just complaining about the lack of a CDMA model did! Give you props for trying!

Posted via CB10
    I'm legitimately right outside Philly in the burbs. AT&T service is great on my porch. But it was like a force field blocking AT&T in my house. It was ridiculous. Said NO SERVICE. Went outside and had 3 new voicemails come through. In my line of work I'm on call so that's unacceptable.
    11-12-14 02:28 AM

I'm legitimately right outside Philly in the burbs. AT&T service is great on my porch. But it was like a force field blocking AT&T in my house. It was ridiculous. Said NO SERVICE. Went outside and had 3 new voicemails come through. In my line of work I'm on call so that's unacceptable.
    I am confused. Those microcell towers are supposed to allow the phone to connect via your wireless signal. They do not connect to the data or cell service at all. So I am completely unsure how you could have had no service with a microcell tower.
    11-12-14 07:49 AM
    I am confused. Those microcell towers are supposed to allow the phone to connect via your wireless signal. They do not connect to the data or cell service at all. So I am completely unsure how you could have had no service with a microcell tower.
    The Tower gets connected to your router or modem. The router/modem needs to be in an area that gets a GPS/911 signal to be used as Microcell and capture AT&T signal.

My modem is in my office in the basement with my router connected to it. basement/office. Thus, I get WiFi throughout the house. Problem is when you plug in Tower you get the data connection but not the cellular because it won't catch the GPS signal cause it's in the basement.
    11-12-14 08:57 AM
    No it won't get a signal in a weak area in the basement. I have 4 bars in my house and 2 bars in my basement. Why would you put a device designed to capture a signal, that was already weak to begin with, in the basement? I have no idea why they are required to have GPS connection for 911 services on a device that is connected to your broadband. Wouldn't the IP of the internet connection tell 911 where you are located?
    Last edited by power5; 11-12-14 at 02:58 PM.
    11-12-14 09:58 AM
    There are boosters you can buy to boost signal from outside to inside a house. This doesn't sound like the Microcel tower you described. I haven't checked into them recently, for LTE, but if you have a strong signal outside where the receiver goes, then a strong signal inside is possible. However, it all costs money! I'm on call and my choice of network provider is important as well. Reliability is critical, but I see buildings where Telus doesn't penetrate, or Rogers has low signal...Too bad Verizon didn't phase out CDMA sooner, like has been done in Canada.

Rockin a Passport with my Awesome Z30! Two great devices are better than 1!
    11-12-14 02:25 PM
    I'm outside of philly as well. That def sucks that you couldn't keep the Passport. Like I said, at least you tried. There may have been a better way from reading the posts here, but shouldn't have to go through any extra effort for service.

I'm really surprised that you did not have service, even in the basement since you are right around philly. I need the phone as well for work, but AT&T seems to work fine for me. I will say though that the penetration in buildings is much poorer than Verizon. One unit, I get LTE, the one next door, I'm on E.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 02:50 PM
    I'm outside of philly as well. That def sucks that you couldn't keep the Passport. Like I said, at least you tried. There may have been a better way from reading the posts here, but shouldn't have to go through any extra effort for service.

I'm really surprised that you did not have service, even in the basement since you are right around philly. I need the phone as well for work, but AT&T seems to work fine for me. I will say though that the penetration in buildings is much poorer than Verizon. One unit, I get LTE, the one next door, I'm on E.

Posted via CB10
    I think what I like the most about the Passport wasn't even the amazing keyboard, unique layout shape, etc. I really like the feel of it. Just felt strong, felt like the 99xx you know. I'm sticking with Verizon so hoping the Classic has that same metal tough feel to it. Liked my black and white Q10's but they always kind felt plastic and less strong than the Bold 99xx series.
    11-12-14 08:44 PM