It is a bummer that most devices are switching to non-removable batteries, including some laptops. The reason I purchased a Dell Venue 11 Pro (i5) over the Microsoft Surface Pro 2 was, in part, because it has a removable battery (although I must admit LTE and a better keyboard played a role as well).
    I never understood that decision from Microsoft they are asking for a premium but won't even include a removable battery. Gratz on the Dell venue what a great device

I've found the surface pro 3 very tempting till I've found out about the removable battery and the home button placement is really of on that one
    09-08-14 03:43 AM
    Do you have 3 spare batteries? I find it hard to believe that you feel it's easier to plug in and charge 3 batteries and change out 3 batteries versus charging 1 phone if necessary. If your phone stays in a holster most of the time you should get 2 days use out of one charge on the Passport. Well anyways as you have convinced yourself that you can't buy a Passport enjoy your Q10.

Z10 STL-100-3 OS 10.3.296 Bell
    Have you ever tried using your phone as a GPS on Waze. I bet it won't last for more than a day. And then what do you do, use another battery to charge your so-called portable device. Please!!

Posted via CB10
    Mack Gans likes this.
    09-08-14 05:22 PM
    Have you ever tried using your phone as a GPS on Waze. I bet it won't last for more than a day. And then what do you do, use another battery to charge your so-called portable device. Please!!
    Yes, that certainly sucks up battery life. That's why you stop by any drugstore or grocery store and pick up a $7 cigarette-lighter to USB outlet to keep your phone charged while you are using it as a GPS.
    mkelley65 likes this.
    09-15-14 06:50 PM
    Removable battery on passports plz I hate when u purchase a product and have battery problem pretty much have to buy a new one

Posted via cb10 Www.youtube.com/spookyentertainment
    09-15-14 07:44 PM
    ^ already confirmed that isn't happening

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 07:58 PM
    I have unlimited data including tethering (corporate plan) on my Z10

I beat the living crap out of my batteries as I leave them on charge while on hotspot...dammed thing gets hot. Nice data speeds though, also use about 100-200 GB/mth through the phone

I Always liked the option of using my "All day" battery then my "All night on charge with hotspot" battery.

Still getting the Passport, hell I can replace the battery once in a while. Its not hard on the Z30...how hard can this one be?
    09-15-14 08:00 PM
    The biggest issue with non-removable battery for me is that software freezes up, and removing the battery fixes it. This is BIG! I'm sorry people don't get it.
    09-27-14 12:43 AM
    Have you ever used BB10? I don't think I've had the software freeze up once! This is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

? Posted via CB10 on my ??Z30
    09-27-14 01:32 AM
    It seems everyone is more focused on the battery longevity and not security. Point being is that manufacturers and ahem...the NSA are counting on you doing just that. When it comes down to it, a phone is nothing more than a radio that receives and transmits and the only true way to cut off that communication link is to remove the battery and wait for the capacitor to fully discharge (a few seconds to minutes) You may think you are closing comm when phone is off, but technology can make the phone appear to be off, when actually still quite busy sending audio and video to an unknown collector at the other end. If Blackberry expects to keep my business they better start working on another model that offers a removable battery.
    hlg8888 likes this.
    01-02-15 06:28 PM
    The Passport doesn't have a removable battery but it has a massive 3450mAh battery, if that helps. Also, if you already have a charging bundle, there's nothing from stopping you using it to charge your Passport. Use battery from your Q10 in the charging bundle, plug it into the microUSB slot and tada! Charging on the go, if you need it. Exact same concept as what you're doing already, except you don't have a battery to swap.
    Didn't think about that. But I also haven't had the need to do this yet on my passport because it gets me through the day no problem. I will keep this in mind nonetheless.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 06:34 PM
    Year after year with countless phones I never EVER had to replace a removable battery, why the concern with the passport that is equipped with a big battery.

Passport/CB10 on WIND
    01-02-15 07:34 PM
    I agree with the OP, a replacement battery is more inline with the "Power Professional" BlackBerry is targeting. Think of Government and Medical folks as well, with the latter working 12+ hour shifts.

It was a concern moving to the Passport from a Q10 for me. As a pilot, I see firsthand what traveling does to battery life. My wife works in the medical field and she is plugging in her iPhone 5 by the lunch break. Got her a Z30 on BlackBerry's latest promotion. Really hope it makes a difference for her.

It was a sacrifice I made, and have found solutions for. I carry a 10000 MaH external battery in my flight kit that has a rapid charge port. Not ideal for many professionals, but standard practice in our industry where tablets are replacing 35lb flight bags. Experience tells us get the highest MaH capacity in a battery, to help it charge faster and repeatedly. I think of it as the "pressure" behind the charge, though many units are chipped so as to not overcharge a device.

Another solution is BlackBerry Blend, which I believe coupled with a bluetooth could be the solution needed for office/desktime. Instead of holstering it, why not plug it into your work charging station and run all your messaging through your computer and voice through bluetooth? A change in habit, yes. But not a terrible one. I would also venture that even while holstered the Passport's battery would last if the display is sleeping. Seems BlackBerry OS 10.3 will arrive for the Q10 before the Passport will for most US Carriers. That will give you a chance to test out that theory before upgrading. I hope BlackBerry Blend really lives up to its potential. Its a great feature to have baked into the OS.

My experience the three biggest draws are the display, Android apps (especially Amazon and Skype), and LTE. All of which are critical items for me to maintain. I get a full days use 90% of the time, but any day longer than 12 hours on duty and I'm plugging in. These were similar to the timeframes I swapped batteries on the Q10.

I can understamd that this is a deal breaker for some, and hope BlackBerry considers this for future models. They ventured out with the Z30, and did some great tech stuff to make that 2800 MaH Battery last. But they also made some Spec sacrifices for battery life where many look at it as outdated/lowspec. Now with the Qla99ic and Passport, power users are having to find solutions, even if they beat out the competition in battery life.

I am glad to hear the battery is easy to reinstall with a simple tech screwdriver kit. My concerns over battery degradation are nil now.

Expectations are paramount, and after years of the Apple experience all I can say is my BlackBerry is a breath of fresh air. Even without the swap able battery.

 PassPosted via CB Chen 
    Mack Gans likes this.
    01-02-15 08:40 PM
    If you insist on removing your Passport battery here is how... https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-i...fer?_mSplash=1

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 09:47 PM
    It seems everyone is more focused on the battery longevity and not security. Point being is that manufacturers and ahem...the NSA are counting on you doing just that. When it comes down to it, a phone is nothing more than a radio that receives and transmits and the only true way to cut off that communication link is to remove the battery and wait for the capacitor to fully discharge (a few seconds to minutes) You may think you are closing comm when phone is off, but technology can make the phone appear to be off, when actually still quite busy sending audio and video to an unknown collector at the other end. If Blackberry expects to keep my business they better start working on another model that offers a removable battery.
    If you are that worried, you are better off investing in cheap prepaids and smashing them apart and throwing them away after you use them like the way gangsters in movies do. Even if taking the battery out would make your phone completely untraceable, they would find your signal the second you power it up again. Either way, I think you should try to find a different strain of ganja... this one has you way too paranoid that 'they' are out to get you.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    01-02-15 09:50 PM
    Well, maybe he's a tad paranoid, but it is understandable considering what has been revealed the past couple of years. If you are someone who the ones in power might consider an extremist and a threat; i.e. someone who is publicly open about certain political standpoints which might not be acceptable by the corporate elite (government)., it might be wise trying to stay a little under the radar. Especially these days when 'terrorist threats' are flourishing all over the western world, and everyone is a potential 'terrorist'. It could just be someone who is strongly anti-government/state and is vocal about it. Personally, I use a SIM-card under a false name. You know, just in case
    Last edited by Barbareren; 01-02-15 at 10:53 PM.
    01-02-15 10:33 PM
    Well, maybe he's a tad paranoid, but it is understandable considering what has been revealed the past couple of years. If you are someone who the ones in power might consider an extremist and a threat; i.e. someone who is publicly open about certain political standpoints which might not be acceptable by the corporate elite (government)., it might be wise trying to stay a little under the radar. Especially these days when 'terrorist threats' are flourishing all over the western world, and everyone is a potential 'terrorist'. It could just be someone who is strongly anti-government/state and is vocal about it. Personally, I use a SIM-card under a false name. You know, just in case
    Haha... I understand. I like to go by Turd Ferguson myself. I just highly doubt that the reasons he has for wanting a removable battery have anything whatsoever to do with BlackBerry's decision on whether or not to include them on any given device. BlackBerry has always been concerned with security but I don't think it's to the extreme of not being able to be traced by government agencies. It's more to cater to those agency types who would be doing the tracing and preventing the confidential information on their device from being compromised. And either way, someone who is on a forum complaining about why a battery should or should not be removable, obviously has too much time on their hands for anyone to actually be after them. The biggest threat they face are people like me poking fun at the ridiculousness of it all. No offense to anyone. If you don't want government agencies able to find you, don't use a smart phone with GPS built into it, removable battery or not.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    01-02-15 11:27 PM
    Without disclosing where I work. I am only enlightening those who do not know these things. If you do not mind "potential" eyes and ears with you at all times be cavalier, but security systems can be hacked no matter what brand name you are carrying, even BlackPhone from Silent Circle is not completely safe, but is by far the safest to date. Look at Sony for one example, they just found out the hard way. Many folks these days do banking on their phone, some even think their passwords are safely stored on their phones in files. All I am saying is that there may come a time when you may need to have a discussion that may or may not be under surveillance, possibly by some bored Edward Snowden type.
    hlg8888 likes this.
    01-02-15 11:55 PM
    The removable battery thing is NOT a paranoid or delusion induced security privacy thing. It's an Operational bent which means, what in Hell are your options when the computer freezes? At least someone has posted a link which purports Passport battery removal. Well, some one has also indicated removing battery in phones while on and frozen, makes the software, the working phone, when it works again, UNSTABLE. So, the whole thing appears jacked, to me. All of this phone stuff. Untenable. The world and stuff in it, is NOT perfect. Still no update to 10.3.1, and NO word on Passport/Classic's availability on VZW! Damn shame. So many Verizon customers, there for so long, just won't quit for a phone. Sorry. Brand loyalty usurped to Carrier Strangle-Hold. *sigh*
    02-27-15 11:23 PM
    This initially bothered me but after using the xperia z ultra and z2 (now passport) I think you'll do just fine without a removable battery as far as the battery is large and has a good quality

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 11:35 PM
    I don't miss yanking the battery at all. You can always shut the phone done completely or restart if needed.
    02-27-15 11:50 PM
    After nearly six months I am finally getting used to not having a removable battery.

My main reason for wanting a removable battery before the Passport was for ease of charging. Whenever my phone would need a charge, I would just swap in a new battery and throw the hold one in a charger. I have gotten used to being plugged in for a couple hours a day now. Not ideal, but meh, still worth having a Passport!

Posted via the BlackBerry Passport. Follow me on Twitter @BlaisKL
    02-28-15 08:57 AM
    The biggest problem I have with NOT having a changeable battery is that the battery is the one component in the device that is guaranteed to fail. It's only a matter of how long before it happens. I hate to have a dying battery dictate when I will have to change devices.

For example, I have a perfectly good Jabra BT3030 headset, the unique design of which suits my needs perfectly. Unfortunately, it has been discontinued, and nobody makes anything similar. I already wore out the battery on my first BT3030, and I can't replace this one when it expires.
    dmlis likes this.
    03-05-15 05:14 PM
    Techie, I totally agree, I have excessively long days that keep me working horrible hours. I'm lucky enough if my Passport Q10 will last 9-10 So I end up charging if I have any desk time plug it in. I've tried the backup batteries but they make my phone SO HOT. It burns my hand no matter which one I've tried. I want a changeable battery for my Passport Q10! I hate running out of Battery time.
    11-19-18 11:14 PM
    Hi guys, Can someone tell me how to access the linked in full Web site on my passport? I can still use facebook as it redirects me but what about linked in? This is an important site for many business people.. thanks, Craig

Posted via CB10
    11-20-18 11:20 AM
174 ... 567