It may add some extra life to my Blackberry, but not much. My Blackberry spends most of its time in the holster on my belt (when I am not directly using it). Of course, the holster has the magnetic feature putting into standby mode. Also, unless Blackberry put an LED on the back, in addition to the front, I am not sure I would want it flipped over.
    08-15-14 08:42 PM
    It may add some extra life to my Blackberry, but not much. My Blackberry spends most of its time in the holster on my belt (when I am not directly using it). Of course, the holster has the magnetic feature putting into standby mode. Also, unless Blackberry put an LED on the back, in addition to the front, I am not sure I would want it flipped over.
    Well, if you are a heavy user the display is the heaviest user of power no if nor buts. Face down or in a proper holster will extend your usage correspondingly. I can't say much more given that we have been told that the Passport will not have a removable battery. Full stop

Z10 STL-103 OS 10.3.296
    08-15-14 08:58 PM
    Ooo... I should have been paying closer attention. I was getting all pumped for the Passport. But not having a removable battery is a big deal.
    3450 mah or not, people are still going to want to swap a fresh one in.
    The external charger and spare battery combo is a great set up. Never having to be connected to a charger is awesome! I don't know if I could make the switch right now to a non removable battery....

Scribbled on my Note 3 then magically translated into readable words using Tapatalk
    08-16-14 08:49 AM
    So much misinformation about modern lithium polymer batteries. Yes, they will discharge. The reason blackberry uses integrated batteries is they can get more capacity out of them. I think they have a "soft shell" that expands slightly with heat and makes them unsuited for constant replacing. In any case, the battery on the passport should be connected by a tiny cord with a plug to the phone under it, so this means it is replaceable, just not the sort of thing you want to do very much.

Ideally to make a lithium battery last as long as possible one would only use it from about 80% capacity to 40% or so, and recharge it as often as possible to prevent it dipping too far from the steady value. However each recharge cycle should last a minute or so, probably at least 2 to be safe. Charging for a few seconds at a time is suboptimal.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 09:24 AM
    Why is Blackberry switching from removable batteries to non-removable? Is it to get more power in the device? Is it to save money? Is it to make it more reliable? Is it to force people to upgrade more often? Does anyone know?
    08-16-14 11:39 AM
    Why is Blackberry switching from removable batteries to non-removable? Is it to get more power in the device? Is it to save money? Is it to make it more reliable? Is it to force people to upgrade more often? Does anyone know?
    Probably to stop people from doing battery pulls to reset their phones....

Z10 STL-100-3 OS 10.3.296 Bell
    08-16-14 07:00 PM
    I disagree. I got the Q10 the day Verizon made it available. I am not upgrading again until (at least) the Passport or Classic is available. The Q10 was first available in June 2013. When will the Passport be out, perhaps November? That is nearly 18 months. If I was only using 1 battery, I would already be experiencing degradation. I would be charging at least once per day, and on many days at least twice. I would certainly see a reduction by now.
    I also got the Q10 when it came out, and it still gets about the same run time that I got when it was new...if charged properly you should easily get the phones life cycle out of the original battery...has been my experience with the several BlackBerry's I have owned...and most rechargeable batteries I have owned over the years...come to think about it, I have been charging some batteries (Pure Energy) going on twenty years now...and they were only given a five year cycle from the manufacturer...

Posted via CB10
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    08-16-14 08:00 PM
    Did you know that in 10.3 blackberry introduces "Advanced Interactions " that allow you to set the phone to turn off the screen immediately when putting it face down? Of course picking it up turns it back on but this feature certainly will add to extra time between charges.
    That's bull****, and power consuming*...
    It's much better to use the holster...

*And screen scratching, and led hiding.

I don't know how they decided to spend time on this ****, and "marketing" it too. Although "marketing" is a strong word.
    They always had the best system to reduce power consumption, never telling users about that... and now they are working on a method that keeps monitored movement sensors...
    08-17-14 03:01 AM
    No removable battery is definitely a deal breaker for me. History has showed us that the battery is the first thing to go on a smartphone.

A non-removable battery would hamper my productivity.

Posted by Meedia Moogulz via Z10
    08-17-14 04:50 AM
    Probably to stop people from doing battery pulls to reset their phones....
    Aren't battery pulls a good thing? How do you do a full reset without a battery pull?
    08-17-14 08:40 AM
    Aren't battery pulls a good thing? How do you do a full reset without a battery pull?
    Hold power button... if you really need to (hint: you should not).
    08-17-14 10:35 AM
    The Classic should come with a removable battery, because its a BlackBerry CLASSIC!!!

Posted via Q10Bold
    08-17-14 11:59 AM
    If the Classic comes with a removable battery that would be good, but then there is not much reason to switch from my Q10. It does not add any specs that are much better or any features that I really want beyond that which the Q10 already has.
    08-17-14 12:03 PM
    Non removal is a non issue for me now.
    With my 30 I don't think I have ever had my phone go dead.
    Charger in both vehicles, my work bag, beside my bed, and an extra for traveling, and I am good.
    Did I want a removable battery? Yes. Do I really need one? No.

Z30 user and lover.
    08-17-14 12:44 PM
    If the Classic comes with a removable battery that would be good, but then there is not much reason to switch from my Q10. It does not add any specs that are much better or any features that I really want beyond that which the Q10 already has.
    If the Classic comes with a removable battery there is one more reason to upgrade my Q10 for the Classic.
    If there is a nonremovable + battery door like in Z10 I really dont know why someone should upgrade? They gave us the toolbelt, but took the removable battery + glasswave door away.
    Why wont they do a perfect phone? I hope the Classic will be the perfect one...

Posted via Q10Bold
    08-17-14 01:00 PM
    The most convincing argument that I have heard regarding this is that only a small minority of users ever buy a spare battery or even replace their removable battery during the lifetime of the device. In the past, features that weren't used very much would simply be left on the device, however, the more modern thinking is that unused features need to be regularly removed for simplicity's sake.
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    08-17-14 01:23 PM
    5minuts ago I've changed my battery. After a reboot I am 100 % full again. Thats why I love this option!!

P.S. The reboot took ca. 1min. with 10.2.2

Removable Battery-img_20140817_202819.jpg

Posted via Q10Bold
    Last edited by Q10Bold; 08-17-14 at 03:06 PM.
    08-17-14 01:29 PM
    5minuts ago I've changed my battery. After a reboot I am 100 % full again. Thats why I love this option!!

Posted via Q10Bold
    Exactly! High speed, low drag! Ain't no body got time to do that charging thing!

Scribbled on my Note 3 then magically translated into readable words using Tapatalk
    Q10Bold and TechieAttorney like this.
    08-17-14 02:10 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140817_202819.jpg 
Views:	1260 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	291367

Posted via Q10Bold
    That is one beast of a charger, can't live without it.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold and TechieAttorney like this.
    08-17-14 02:11 PM
    That is one beast of a charger, can't live without it.
    Said perfectly. I have three. One lives on my desk at work. One lives on a shelf at home. The other is carried in my bag. I NEVER plug my phone in. I just keep changing batteries. Too bad I will not be able to upgrade to the Passport.
    Q10Bold and hlg8888 like this.
    08-17-14 02:47 PM
    Said perfectly. I have three. One lives on my desk at work. One lives on a shelf at home. The other is carried in my bag. I NEVER plug my phone in. I just keep changing batteries. Too bad I will not be able to upgrade to the Passport.
    Do you have 3 spare batteries? I find it hard to believe that you feel it's easier to plug in and charge 3 batteries and change out 3 batteries versus charging 1 phone if necessary. If your phone stays in a holster most of the time you should get 2 days use out of one charge on the Passport. Well anyways as you have convinced yourself that you can't buy a Passport enjoy your Q10.

DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    08-17-14 06:30 PM
    Like it or not, the trend is clearly for non-removable batteries. It's cheaper as far as the manufacturing process. And at the risk of sounding like some whacked out conspiracy theorist, certain 3-letter government agencies appreciate that you can never truly disable your phone if you cannot remove the battery. A second battery for those long trips or just plain long days is a great feature. Sadly, we're losing that option one device at a time.
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    08-17-14 07:30 PM
    Do you have 3 spare batteries? I find it hard to believe that you feel it's easier to plug in and charge 3 batteries and change out 3 batteries versus charging 1 phone if necessary.
    Yes, I have three spares. And yes, it is easier to have three spares than to charge one phone. I have a charging bundle on my desk at work. It stays plugged in all the time. I have another on a shelf at home. It is stays plugged in all the time. A third is in my bag. When I leave the house, I check the battery. If it is low, I switch the one in the phone with the one in the charger. The same thing when I leave the office. If I am having a marathon day, I may to use the one in my bag. I will switch that with the one in my phone, and the next time I am in my office or at home, I will switch the charge in my bag with the one my desk or shelf. Simply said, having a fully charged battery waiting at home and another at the office is much easier than ever plugging in the phone. I do not have to "plug in and charge" the bundles. They stay plugged in. When I switch batteries, my phone is instantly at 100% and the low battery starts charging instantly. It will be fully charged by the next time I need it. Very convenient indeed.
    vpblaze, Q10Bold and eldrover like this.
    08-17-14 08:01 PM
    Great if that works for you. Enjoy your Q10.

08-17-14 08:15 PM
    Like it or not, the trend is clearly for non-removable batteries. . . . A second battery for those long trips or just plain long days is a great feature. Sadly, we're losing that option one device at a time.
    It is a bummer that most devices are switching to non-removable batteries, including some laptops. The reason I purchased a Dell Venue 11 Pro (i5) over the Microsoft Surface Pro 2 was, in part, because it has a removable battery (although I must admit LTE and a better keyboard played a role as well).
    hlg8888, dmlis and Carrtman like this.
    08-17-14 08:24 PM
174 ... 4567