The point is moot. The Passport does not have a removable battery. Time to move on...

Z10 STL-103 OS 10.3.296
    DYLANHABKIRK, pboud_01 and bob_tn like this.
    08-10-14 08:40 PM
    Sounds like its going to need a case with an additional built in battery.
    08-10-14 09:39 PM
    This is where you said it. You seem to think "[a]nyone willing to abandon a BlackBerry with [an] amazing Blackberry... is no loyal BlackBerry user." That is not right.
    You are mistaking your interpretation for what was actually stated, and then clarified for your benefit.

I was not intending to reply, but another misconception has warranted one last attempt.

First, loyalty is about providing me what I need and me exchanging my business and professional recommendation is return. Loyalty is not about blinding sticking to a company even when they remove a feature you find critical to daily productivity. Just because the feature we are discussing is more important to me than to you does not mean you are right and I am wrong.
    I never said you were wrong. I feel sorry that you see my statements in the wrong light - again, it's your interpretation, but I never said you were wrong for your opinions. Never.

I am not abandoning anyone. This is about the consumer. I love BlackBerry and want to stick with them, but know this, I don't owe the company anything, not even loyalty. I am a consumer. I get what I pay for.
    I'm glad you can share your position as a share holder, and consumer - but that may be best done to the company - not where it won't be heard by who matters most. I'm also glad you are very into your BlackBerry - it shows in your committed comments.

Truth be told, if we want to play the equities, with the way the stock has performed, the company may owe me. Of course it doesn't, but I just want to be clear. I owe Blackberry nothing, not even loyalty.
    I agree - nobody owes BlackBerry anything. Loyalty is a choice.

So stop accusing people of being disloyal as if loyalty has some reasonable place is this conversation.
    I don't think I need to remind you that you are the one who brought loyalty into the conversation in the first place. I never accused you of being "disloyal." Not once.

A removable battery is something that has kept many of us loyal to Blackberry.
    I can tell you feel defensive, and that I am personally attacking you with my comments. That is not the case. and they aren't intended as condescending - that's your interpretation, given that they were never intended as such. If that is your opinion towards me, then I apologize. Nothing was intended as personal slander.

I am simply correcting the mistakes you have accused me of making, while not accusing you of anything other than such.

I have no interest in starting a 'war' by any means. My intentions are purely to set the record straight about what I have said.

I appreciate your opinion - don't get that wrong. I understand your concern, and it's one held by many who have not made the transition to a built in battery - and it's a valid one to many.

Take this comment for example:
    using a non-removable battery means an increase in battery life as more space can be dedicated to the battery as opposed to the battery mount
    This is absolutely true. You can increase the battery capacity, while maintaining a modern design. Thus removing the need to constantly swap batteries, given that the devices can last at an advertised 25 hours. (Which holds much truth, despite seeming like a marketing gimmick)

or this one:
    The Z30 has ended the stress involved with charging multiple batteries though, and I can't wait to try the Passport based on these initial impressions. I charge my device once a day now, versus charging two batteries for the Z10.
    Again, very true. Larger battery = more time out of your device. If you sleep, it shouldn't be an inconvenience to charge your device. Overnight.

Being a Passport owner, as-well-as a Z30 owner, I can firmly state that the need for a removable battery has absolutely dissipated. Of course all of this is subject to opinion, and usage. This is my opinion.

I used to share your opinion that having a removable battery was absolutely essential. This was due to me not owning a device with such capabilities. The phrase: "you won't know until you try" is a perfect example.

It will be truly hard for you to understand the differences, until you own one of these new devices and are able to gauge the use for yourself - but I sincerely hope you have the opportunity to upgrade to one of said devices. You truly wouldn't regret it.
    08-10-14 09:44 PM
    Truce? Or else shut this down.

Z10 STL-103 OS 10.3.296
    BoldMaverick and jimpilot like this.
    08-10-14 09:48 PM
    I hear what you are saying. Everytime I swap batteries on the Q10, I feel like a boss. No silly case, no silly dangling thing. Just up and running.

But... I am willing to get past it. I've seen some issues with removable batteries I think sometimes they don't fit right and cause random reboots. I can't prove it, so it is just my opinion. So, if a non-removable battery gets past that issue, then so be it. And, if it helps sell more passports via a lower cost, okay.

But my "dream" device, yes, would have a removable battery.
    08-11-14 04:28 AM
    Beautifully said.
    08-11-14 08:10 AM
    Guys...I don't know if anyone commented from this point of view before but here's my story:

I'm often having my GF sit in my lap and you know those walks in the park when you end up making out on a bench or in the grass etc...in other words sometimes my phone is being pressured whether I like it or not. So after an year of usage my Q10's back panel is doing fine however I can notice that the battery has been a bit damaged -basically the back itself has scratched it a bit because of all the pressure on it in those moments I already mentioned. Now that this is present when I push the back of the phone with my finger or just put it on the table you can hear the noise of the back panel "squeeking" because it's no longer that tight...I believe this wouldn't happen if the Q10 had a non-removable battery -the panel would've been all tight and well sealed then...

Excuse me for my English I hope my story makes sense and you understand what I mean...so my point is that as an average user I make the Q10 last 2 full days...thats' day + a night + day...then I charge it and get it off the charger in the morning so I get another 2x daylights....etc...from my XP with Note2 (My old phone) I'll be getting like 3x full days from the Passport...that would be 1 day with heavy usage(12 hrs)...that must be really have usage tho so I think that's more than enough.

What I want to say is that just like some of you want to be able to swap their batteries for various reasons...just like that I'd prefer my phone to be with non-removable battery because I believe that improves the built quality by a lot and I think that the device is much stronger(physically) like that -does anyone else share this point of view with me ?

Mind you that I'm perfectly happy with Q10's battery life and I believe the Passport will be doing even better.

Peace.
    08-11-14 09:52 AM
    It might work, but might not work. First, the battery would still degrade over time and might not last me a full day in two years. Second, a full day can be awfully long. I often work in my New York office or while in Court all day, then, at about 8:00 P.M., get on a flight to Europe, arriving at 8:00 a.m. I can turn off the phone on the plane, but if the plane has Wi-Fi, I am still working on e-mails much of the time. I arrive in the morning and work a whole day in Europe before sleeping. Now, two (maybe three) Q10 batteries get me through all that time, depending on use. When I finally crash, The bundle allows me to charge an external battery and the phone at the same time. So I am back up to 2 of 3 batteries charged. I wish I had the same possibility for the Passport.
    Plug in while on the plane. Even many economy international seats have outlets.

I bought the Z30 and had to get used to the idea of not being able to swap a battery. It's not as hard as you'd think with a high capacity battery (as is on the Z30 & will be on the Passport). I also have (just in case), a high capacity solar battery that can charge my Z30 2.5 times when fully charged. Here's a link to it: Amazon.com: Poweradd™ Apollo 7200mAh Solar Portable Charger Backup External Battery Pack for iPhone 5S 5C 5 4S, iPods, iPad Mini Retina(Apple Adapters not Included), Samsung Galaxy Note 3 2, Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Android Smartphones and More Other 5V US
    08-11-14 11:11 AM
    Truce? Or else shut this down.

Z10 STL-103 OS 10.3.296

Move along if you don't want to follow/read this discussion.
    Last edited by Mo Cat; 08-12-14 at 02:03 PM. Reason: typo
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    08-11-14 12:13 PM
    It MUST have a removable battery.
    You need to think of bigger and better reasons

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    08-12-14 12:32 AM
    Can a BlackBerry Z30 mirror to the TV screen...can someone help?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 12:41 AM
    Bad move IMO with the no removable battery. The Passport seemed like a perfect candidate.

The amount of thickness they shave off. As I understand this is the intent in doing so. Is in reality minuscule.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    hlg8888 likes this.
    08-12-14 12:46 AM
    Bad move IMO with the no removable battery. The Passport seemed like a perfect candidate.

The amount of thickness they shave off. As I understand this is the intent in doing so. Is in reality minuscule.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    Yeah, the Z10 is one mm thinner than the Q10...they should have used the extra space for a bigger battery.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    08-12-14 08:51 AM
    Can a BlackBerry Z30 mirror to the TV screen...can someone help?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, through a hdmi cable or through miracast Wrong section to ask anyway!
    08-12-14 09:11 AM

Posted with X10 via CB10
    The intent is to cram a huge battery in it. Thinness is just an added benefit.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 09:43 AM
    Just this morning, a colleague and myself successfully completed a 38hr troubleshooting marathon from across the globe. His Z30 did an admirable job for about 12 hrs of pretty solid voice but he eventually gave up on keeping it tethered and resorted to using the plant's land line via cordless. A batterypack equipped Uniden of some kind. He was able to let his Z charge while using the land line and during 5 minute powernaps while my 99 rebooted after battery swaps but he was never able to restore voice communications over his Z for much more than about an hr at a shot. He ultimately just stuck with the plant phone for voice and his Z for text and photos. He was crawling inside live control cabinets tracing with a DMM, etc. Needless to say, tethering was NOT an option.

I, on the other hand, was traveling, in cabs, dining at restaurant tables, fumbling among wiring diagrams etc, also unable to grab suitable tether time. Nor sleep time. Two 3600ma aftermarket batts plus several BB batts kept my 99 on the job throughout that marathon. My colleague had some choice words about the fixed batt in his 30.

I plan to get a PassPort but must plan to relegate it to mostly desktop service. Q20's fixed batt is a deal killer for myself and possibly quite a few 24/7 professionals. Just hoping that BBRY some day see's fit to offer the swappable battpack feature again.
    TechieAttorney and hlg8888 like this.
    08-13-14 07:17 PM
    It is good to hear there are others who occasionally have to run these marathons. Thanks for contributing.
    08-13-14 08:41 PM
    Isn't it funny that the only other smartphone that I know of with a removable battery are the Samsung Galaxy series (which I would consider if BlackBerry stop making these)? On the other hand if you hear about the long working hours Korean professionals regularly make, it is actually quite understandable where this is coming from. Not everybody has a regular lifestyle and judging by the way the global marketplace is changing, we all will have to get used to the new normal.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 07:11 AM
    I think it is amazing that Samsung is advertising all day battery life with power saving modes on the phone and Blackberry is not hitting back. This is where Blackberry could show the benefit of removable batteries. Eventually, whether after two years of battery degradation, simply forgetting to charge, or a marathon day, those Samsung users will end up hugging the wall near a power outlet. Those of us using Blackberry devices with removable batteries, simply swap batteries.

I also want to clarify the charging aspect. Some people seem to think that swappable batteries just mean more to charge. That is not true. The charging bundles allow you to charge the phone and an external battery at the same time. No additional chargers need to be carried and charging does not take any longer.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    08-14-14 07:50 AM
    Dats good for removable we can carry spare battery
    08-15-14 03:40 AM
    I can only see benefits of a non-removable battery: slimness of phone, better insulation, higher capacity. Maybe BB plans to make this model also water & dust-resistant like Sony phones. You know, it's easier to rinse the phone under tap water to remove the bacteria, than wipe it clean with a soft tissue.
    As for the attorney who never sleeps & wants his phone to behave the same: do you plan to reach 40? Either you won't or you're not human, no offence intended.
    08-15-14 07:06 AM
    There is no need to have a non-removable battery to make a phone water and dust resistant. Samsung did that with the S5 and it has a removable batter.

I have a few years before I hit forty, but not too many. I will make it though. My family keeps me moving and my practice keeps me working. Together they offer a fairly full life.
    08-15-14 08:11 AM
    Another thing to consider: if you are a long term user, removable battery is better as years go by, that battery will degrade. When you feel the battery is not in tip top condition anymore, just buy a new one instead of sending it in for repair.

Removable battery is one of the reasons I have been using BB10 devices instead of iPhones and yes, the Z30. Tried it for a month, returned it, it has a few quirks other than having non removeable battery.

Posted via CB10
    TechieAttorney and hlg8888 like this.
    08-15-14 10:53 AM
    As for the attorney who never sleeps & wants his phone to behave the same: do you plan to reach 40? Either you won't or you're not human, no offence intended.
    All the lawyers I know who work super hard are truly human, and amazing people too. I'd like to think that their firm attracts the brightest, but nicest people.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    TechieAttorney likes this.
    08-15-14 03:56 PM
    I think it is amazing that Samsung is advertising all day battery life with power saving modes on the phone and Blackberry is not hitting back.
    Did you know that in 10.3 blackberry introduces "Advanced Interactions " that allow you to set the phone to turn off the screen immediately when putting it face down? Of course picking it up turns it back on but this feature certainly will add to extra time between charges.

Z10 STL-103 OS 10.3.296
    08-15-14 07:10 PM
174 ... 34567