Actually, I have to go with TechieAttorny on this. I rather would have a removable battery than a non-removable. Same for my Q10, I've got a a extra battery with charger. What happens if the Passport battery breaks? Send in your phone?
    DIY order battery and follow instructions to replace battery.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    07-26-14 12:50 AM
    You do realize that... you can replace the battery of the Z30 and Q5 even of its non removable...
    Uhhh, NO. I for one did not realize that; and while I don't doubt you, it's hard to see how I can replace something I can't remove. So, the Z30 battery is removable, but... not conveniently so?

Thumb-flicked from my Z30 via CB10
    Mo Cat likes this.
    07-26-14 01:13 AM
    DIY order battery and follow instructions to replace battery.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Thanks Dave for being the voice of reason, and calming the waves.

A small screw driver or a cheap "phone repair kit" with a plastic spudger out of the bargain bin will do it.

Pasted via CB chen
    07-26-14 01:14 AM
    Uhhh, NO. I for one did not realize that; and while I don't doubt you, it's hard to see how I can replace something I can't remove. So, the Z30 battery is removable, but... not conveniently so?

Thumb-flicked from my Z30 via CB10
    You can't do it without tools. It's very doable. Same way as some laptops.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Thunderbuck and David Tyler like this.
    07-26-14 01:15 AM
    You are not wrong, but please realize that degradation depends on use and I am one of the heaviest users I have ever seen. My Blackberry Q10 literally has the screen on more time during the day than is it off. Even with a Q10, the dark profile, etc., I am using two full batteries a day on average. That will be a lot of degradation.

In addition, please do not forget my other concerns, such as the amount of time it takes to charge (which could be longer because of the large battery), the lack of convenience of being able to change a battery anywhere and at any time, etc. I have more than one concern here. I have always used Blackberry, in part, for the convenience of changing batteries. There are many many other reasons I use Blackberry, but if this feature goes away, it will be one reason less. That does not mean I will switch platforms, because I still care about security and other things, but I will be closer to switching than I am now. Not much closer though because every other manufacturer is moving in the same direction will non-removable batteries. And no, the fact that other platforms have gone to non-removable batteries does not mean it is okay or works well. Other platforms have also done away with keyboards, and many Blackberry users still want their keyboards. Similarly, I still want removable batteries.
    I'm with you OP. For me the Passports non removable battery and the 3row kb is a dealbreaker too!!
    I hope the classic comes with a removable battery.

Posted via Q10Bold
    Mo Cat likes this.
    07-26-14 02:21 AM
    You can't do it without tools. It's very doable. Same way as some laptops.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Why not just put a removable in if it's so easy and my guess is that a removable is more easily swapped than a non-removable? Personally, it is 1 of my main prerequisites when buying a smartphone, always has been, never bought any device with non-removable battery. I just don't like it. Just my personal preference, that's all. Like OP and other people this non-removable battery is a deal breaker so if BlackBerry wants the Passport to hit big, they just should have put in a removable one and have everyone aboard. Not an optimal decision from BlackBerry in my humble opinion.
    Last edited by Mo Cat; 08-14-14 at 02:24 PM.
    TechieAttorney likes this.
    07-26-14 04:58 AM
    Thanks Dave for being the voice of reason, and calming the waves.

A small screw driver or a cheap "phone repair kit" with a plastic spudger out of the bargain bin will do it.

Pasted via CB chen
    A removable battery is still easier, no kits or screw drivers involved, why make stuff more complicated when it's not needed? And it has nothing to do with being the voice of reason, it does not make sense to make things more complicated. The procedure might be simple enough but it will never beat the easiness of a removable battery.
    Old Zen proverb : "Our lives are carried away by details. Simplify, simplify..." Same goes for a battery, no need to make things more complicated with screw drivers and kits.
    07-26-14 05:07 AM
    evodevo69, your "Bla Bla Bla" was a little rude and not of the civility expected by people in these forums. In any event, you are incorrect when you say that I could easily forget to bring your spare battery, or fall asleep without remembering to plug in your spare. Quite the contrary. I have an external charger on my desk at work (where it lives). I have another at home (where it lives). They stay plugged in and charged. So, I never need to remember to charge spare batteries. When my phone is dead, I swap. The dead instantly starts charging. Done. The only time I need to remember to carry a spare is when traveling or when an extremely long day will have be away from home and work all day.
    Mo Cat likes this.
    07-26-14 06:07 AM
    evodevo69, your "Bla Bla Bla" was a little rude and not of the civility expected by people in these forums. In any event, you are incorrect when you say that I could easily forget to bring your spare battery, or fall asleep without remembering to plug in your spare. Quite the contrary. I have an external charger on my desk at work (where it lives). I have another at home (where it lives). They stay plugged in and charged. So, I never need to remember to charge spare batteries. When my phone is dead, I swap. The dead instantly starts charging. Done. The only time I need to remember to carry a spare is when traveling or when an extremely long day will have be away from home and work all day.
    Sorry if it came off rude but any excuse you make for why you'd need a spare can be made for having a non removable.

Take for instance what you just wrote - you don't need to remember to bring a spare unless you are travelling, so there you are - you could forget to bring it or forget to charge it just as you claimed you could forget to charge the phone.

You have 2 chargers now, at work and at home - kind of excessive if you ask me. Anyway, you remember to swap batteries and charge it right. Are you telling me that you are anal enough to have two chargers plugged in and charging at all times but that you can't trust yourself to charge your phone each night before bed?

I might think that is really a behaviour issue and unnecessary "peace of mind" rather than a real need to have a spare battery around unless your phone is being used non-stop for 8 hours straight.

My z30 gets through a full work day and for the times when I go out afterwards and am out late, till 3 am, the battery still lasts although barely hangs on. You're never in a situation where you'd need to swap batteries bc you always make it to bedtime before charging for the next day.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-26-14 07:40 AM
    Since most contracts are 24 months and Canada had (has?) 3 year contracts, I doubt 18 months will result in any major degradation. I really think it's not as extreme as you believe.
    In Europe a lot of people buy it off contract and yes, there are still a fair amount of BB users in Europe. A non-removable battery was one of my personal reasons why I've never bought any Apple products.
    Last edited by Mo Cat; 07-26-14 at 07:59 AM.
    07-26-14 07:44 AM
    That is exactly what I am telling you and is very reasonable. We are creatures of routine. Ensuring two batteries are sitting in external chargers at all times (one at work and one at home) means I never need to remember to charge anything. You call this excessive while I call it efficient and secure. As I said in an earlier post, I use nearly to full Q10 batteries a day. Having a spare waiting for me, all charged up, at work and at home, is not excessive, but is smart, convenient, efficient, and cost effective (especially since given this heavy use I would be seeing battery degradation over time if I was not using three batteries).

That is a far cry from the conscience mind which is needed to plug in a phone at any time. David Diamond, a professor of molecular physiology at the University of South Florida, says "Memory is a machine and it is not flawless. Our conscious mind prioritizes things by importance, but on a cellular level, our memory does not." That is why we all use tricks to help us remember, from devices as simply as leaving ourselves notes, to more complicated things like carrying calendar and devices with reminder apps, etc. Look at the number of reminder and task apps in Blackberry world and you will begin to understand why having two batteries always waiting for you (one at home and one at work) is a way of removing a task from an already overloaded list while costing nothing because you were going to need the extra batteries (as the result of degradation) anyway.
    07-26-14 07:47 AM
    Do you also have a tooth brush waiting for you at work loll probably not. Because you brush in the morning right? Do you need to remember to brush in the morning before leaving for work?

I get what you're saying but i think charging your phone before bed isn't adding much and no different than remembering to brush your teeth.

Listen, if you use your phone such that it requires a charge during your day, all the more power to you and a removable battery.

But with a 3450mah battery, vast majority of people will not need to charge it during the day and the need to plug it in before bed is NOT a hassle, opening and closing the battery cover and ripping out the battery constantly is.

Posted via CB10 Right on Cue
    07-26-14 12:13 PM
    A funny comparison indeed. However, ironically, yes, I do have a toothbrush kit at work. One, some lunches give you bad breath and brushing works better than mints. Two, I am often in my office from a reasonable morning hour to a very early morning hour the following day. Not often, but happens. So yes, I have a toothbrush kit in my office.
    07-26-14 12:17 PM
    the passport is supposed to have wireless charging. all you have to do is to put it on the wireless charger pad. no cables and stuff. while you are at home, is your phone floating? if no, then when you put it down you can just as well put it on the charging pad instead of the table.
    07-26-14 12:51 PM
    If it has wireless charging that may go a long way to solving my problem. I could then put a wireless charger on my desk at work and every time I sit down thrown the phone on the charging pad. The reason I don't charge at my desk now is that I have to plug and unplug every time I run to a conference room, another attorney's office, etc. That is not efficient, but a throwing on a charging pad would be. That might help a lot and make me less reliant on swapping batteries. Nonetheless, I still wish it had a removable battery. I guess we will wait to launch to find out all the details.
    07-26-14 03:27 PM
    If it has wireless charging that may go a long way to solving my problem. I could then put a wireless charger on my desk at work and every time I sit down thrown the phone on the charging pad. The reason I don't charge at my desk now is that I have to plug and unplug every time I run to a conference room, another attorney's office, etc. That is not efficient, but a throwing on a charging pad would be. That might help a lot and make me less reliant on swapping batteries. Nonetheless, I still wish it had a removable battery. I guess we will wait to launch to find out all the details.
    That type of charging is likely going to lead to battery degradation, bringing you full circle to being able to replace the battery if it is removable.
    07-26-14 03:31 PM
    I connect my Q10 to bluetooth headset while I am riding my motorcycle. I want to make a full weekend with certainty, and if I get lost, I want to be sure that I can use the navigator.
    exactly. flexibility.

Posted via CB/Q10
    07-26-14 04:15 PM
    A lot of you seem to have been converted from removable to non-removable without a problem, so maybe I am making too big a deal about this. However, I still know many people with iPhones and other devices (phones and tablets, like iPads and Microsoft Surface tablets) experiencing the degrading power of batteries over time. That is a frustration I am really concerned with even if one charge could get me through the day.
    you cant compare iphone batteries with the passport battery they are not even on the same planet........................
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    07-26-14 04:21 PM
    I connect my Q10 to bluetooth headset while I am riding my motorcycle. I want to make a full weekend with certainty, and if I get lost, I want to be sure that I can use the navigator.
    You want to get 48 hours of use - are you going to be out riding on your bike the entire weekend without going to sleep?

Again, if you charge overnight and phone is unplugged in the morning it'll get you to bedtime ready to be charged again without worry of battery dying out during the day.

I can see how if it is the Q10 and your out about using maps and bluetooth all day, having a spare battery might be warranted at some point near the day's end, before you reach bedtime.

But with the passport this wouldn't be an issue because of battery size.

07-26-14 04:53 PM
    That type of charging is likely going to lead to battery degradation, bringing you full circle to being able to replace the battery if it is removable.
    That basically puts me back at the beginning, needing a removable battery.
    07-26-14 05:05 PM
    You want to get 48 hours of use - are you going to be out riding on your bike the entire weekend without going to sleep?
    Yes, I'm going to make refill on the go, like jets. XD

Joking aside, when you sleep in a tent, you don't always have a plug available...

Anyway, I am not against a non removable battery (I am, pretty much for the same reasons of reason, but I don't swap them).
    I'm against "3500 is enough".

I understand it's an extreme example, but the world is filled with extremes.
    07-26-14 05:12 PM

Again, if you charge overnight and phone is unplugged in the morning it'll get you to bedtime ready to be charged again without worry of battery dying out during the day.

I can see how if it is the Q10 and your out about using maps and bluetooth all day, having a spare battery might be warranted at some point near the day's end, before you reach bedtime.

But with the passport this wouldn't be an issue because of battery size.

you are assuming there is a plug near by or that he has his charger. also he said that he will be traveling using the nav and bluetooth. that would probably run the battery down quicker. if he gets lost or breaks down and becomes stranded, the swappable battery could be a life saver.

admit that replaceable batteries are more versatile...

Posted via CB/Q10
    BoldMaverick likes this.
    07-26-14 05:16 PM
    you are assuming there is a plug near by or that he has his charger. also he said that he will be traveling using the nav and bluetooth. that would probably run the battery down quicker. if he gets lost or breaks down and becomes stranded, the swappable battery could be a life saver.

Posted via CB/Q10
    Well said.
    BoldMaverick likes this.
    07-26-14 05:22 PM

Posted via CB/Q10
    Do you know what people used to do before cell phones loll. They had a compass and a map. I'd rely on that more than my phone if i was camping.

What do people do when they go camping for a full week and there's no electricity around?

Anyway this is getting silly but yes, I admit a removable battery does give you more freedom.

07-26-14 07:05 PM
    Do you know what people used to do before cell phones loll. They had a compass and a map. I'd rely on that more than my phone if i was camping.

What do people do when they go camping for a full week and there's no electricity around?

Anyway this is getting silly but yes, I admit a removable battery does give you more freedom.

I mentioned camping?

lol

Posted via CB/Q10
    07-26-14 07:08 PM
174 12345 ...