laptops/tablets degrade faster because people leave them plugged in 100% of the time even when it doesn't need to be. This corrodes the battery which happens on phones as well but much more slowly if you only charge 1 time a day.

And with that note...unplugs laptop.
    neoberry99 and BoldMaverick like this.
    07-24-14 08:18 PM
    It might work, but might not work. First, the battery would still degrade over time and might not last me a full day in two years. Second, a full day can be awfully long. I often work in my New York office or while in Court all day, then, at about 8:00 P.M., get on a flight to Europe, arriving at 8:00 a.m. I can turn off the phone on the plane, but if the plane has Wi-Fi, I am still working on e-mails much of the time. I arrive in the morning and work a whole day in Europe before sleeping. Now, two (maybe three) Q10 batteries get me through all that time, depending on use. When I finally crash, The bundle allows me to charge an external battery and the phone at the same time. So I am back up to 2 of 3 batteries charged. I wish I had the same possibility for the Passport.
    I hope you're not billing for client correspondence at your usual rate while writing emails that way. As much as I love my BlackBerry for the email, it's far more productive to type on a laptop or desktop keyboard. Okay, using a laptop creates confidentiality problems, but so does using a cellphone.

And don't worry about degradation. In a couple of years, at the next upgrade cycle, get a new phone. And if it's really an issue, the firm will just get you a new phone, I'm guessing it only amounts to about a billable hour, or maybe even less.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    07-24-14 11:23 PM
    It might work, but might not work. First, the battery would still degrade over time and might not last me a full day in two years. Second, a full day can be awfully long. I often work in my New York office or while in Court all day, then, at about 8:00 P.M., get on a flight to Europe, arriving at 8:00 a.m. I can turn off the phone on the plane, but if the plane has Wi-Fi, I am still working on e-mails much of the time. I arrive in the morning and work a whole day in Europe before sleeping. Now, two (maybe three) Q10 batteries get me through all that time, depending on use. When I finally crash, The bundle allows me to charge an external battery and the phone at the same time. So I am back up to 2 of 3 batteries charged. I wish I had the same possibility for the Passport.
    I've got a better solution. Work less- dang! #workaholic

Posted via CB10
    TechieAttorney likes this.
    07-25-14 12:37 AM
    OP I know u said u use 2 batteries a day with the Q10. It does seem like u are a heavy user so I believe you do have legit concerns.

I would like to remind u though that 1) The Passport has a much larger battery than the Q10. 3450 vs 2100. 2) 10.3 should bring more optimization to the OS to help increase battery life. 3) remember that the processor in the Q10 is nearly 3 years old. The Snapdragon 800 in the Passport is much more power efficient than the one in your Q10. This should help a lot as well.

I saw just wait for the reviews to confirms how the battery life of the device is. When it comes out, mayb u can give it a test drive. Most carriers have a window in which u can return a device if you don't like it

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 02:54 AM
    And with that note...unplugs laptop.
    No, unplug the battery... because you are still using the battery.

Other platforms have also done away with keyboards, and many Blackberry users still want their keyboards.
    Consider that, since you are typing so much, you could not like the Passport...
    If you are a heavy typer, it lacks shift and alt keys, also the keyboard is larger that means your finger will travel more across it.
    Probabily the Classic is better for you for this reason alone.
    07-25-14 03:46 AM
    As for billing, I assure you, I am ethical. Clients don't mind paying for e-mails typed out on mobile devices rather than laptops because it often means a faster response, which has added value.

Most of you seem to be satisfied with non-removable batteries. That surprises me, but also makes me less concerned about having a non-removable battery. On the same note, it does not sound like most of you are tremendously heavy users or tavelers. I wonder if that would change your opinions.
    07-25-14 07:46 AM
    Conclusion; let the phone be released first, then let's all give it a try for battery life. On paper it seems great, so we can all just confirm that once it gets released :]

Posted via CB10
    TechieAttorney likes this.
    07-25-14 08:15 AM
    Agreed. If it truly has outstanding battery life, I will be in okay shape, but not nearly as good shape as I am with the ability to swap batteries at any time.
    07-25-14 08:17 AM
    You are not wrong, but it still won't work well for me. No battery to swap. Slower charging from a smaller battery bundle. In addition, more hassle and less convenience. If I am running out the door on a low battery, I can't just switch it. If I use the external charging bundle it doesn't fit neatly in a holster. In addition, instead of my backup battery sitting on my desk and charging, it is with me charging my phone. This basically means I have two dead batteries at the end of that long day instead one. Finally, but not of less importance, the internal battery will degrade over time. When I am rotating batteries on my Q10, each battery is used only 1/3rd of the time. You do not see them degrade, but, even if you did, no problem, just swap out the battery again. The Passport just isn't going to fly for me, despite everything else. This is a deal breaker for me.
    Agree with everything except "Slower charging from a smaller battery bundle". Actually, the bundle charges very fast.
    07-25-14 08:33 AM
    The Passport doesn't have a removable battery but it has a massive 3450mAh battery, if that helps. Also, if you already have a charging bundle, there's nothing from stopping you using it to charge your Passport. Use battery from your Q10 in the charging bundle, plug it into the microUSB slot and tada! Charging on the go, if you need it. Exact same concept as what you're doing already, except you don't have a battery to swap.
    ...except you can't change the Passport's battery when it's health reduced to 50%
    07-25-14 08:37 AM
    so what if the battery last all day for most of you that are returning to bed in about 16 hrs. we get it, it works for you. some people's lifestyle require the freedom of swapping out batteries. the phone doesn't have to be released yet to see reviews of how great the battery is...the man needs a replaceable battery for those just in case moments and for some longevity.

some people were getting 24hrs out of their Q10, but for some reason or another they purchased the battery bundle...I wonder why.

Posted via CB/Q10
    07-25-14 11:04 AM
    some people were getting 24hrs out of their Q10, but for some reason or another they purchased the battery bundle...I wonder why.
    I connect my Q10 to bluetooth headset while I am riding my motorcycle. I want to make a full weekend with certainty, and if I get lost, I want to be sure that I can use the navigator.
    07-25-14 12:55 PM
    Buy a car charger then I'm sure you have a lighter plug on your motorcycle somewhere

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 01:20 PM
    Doesn't fit with the style. And what about trekking sessions?
    07-25-14 06:17 PM
    You are not wrong, but it still won't work well for me. No battery to swap. Slower charging from a smaller battery bundle. In addition, more hassle and less convenience. If I am running out the door on a low battery, I can't just switch it. If I use the external charging bundle it doesn't fit neatly in a holster. In addition, instead of my backup battery sitting on my desk and charging, it is with me charging my phone. This basically means I have two dead batteries at the end of that long day instead one. Finally, but not of less importance, the internal battery will degrade over time. When I am rotating batteries on my Q10, each battery is used only 1/3rd of the time. You do not see them degrade, but, even if you did, no problem, just swap out the battery again. The Passport just isn't going to fly for me, despite everything else. This is a deal breaker for me.
    I have the Z30 with a non removable battery, but it's 2800 mHa which lasts me a long time. I don't need a removable battery with the Z30. I suspect the Passport battery will last even longer. P.S. I too am a "techie attorney."

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    07-25-14 06:22 PM
    Most indications seem to point to the Passport having a non-removable battery. I would prefer the Passport to another model, but being able to switch batteries is a must for me. With my Q10, I never actually charge the device. I have one of Blackberry's charging bundles at work and another at home. The batteries charge without being in the device and I just swap the low battery in the device with a charged battery. Problem solved and no reason to be tethered to an outlet, ever. When traveling, I always have a spare with me. I do not want to lose this functionality.
    How much of an adjustment would it mean to you to carry a portable battery instead? I found with the Z30 I could plug the Q10's battery bundle in and get a pretty decent charge out of it, and it was reasonably easy to hold on to. It also has the benefit of not having to power the phone down to change the battery.

Other thing: the Passport has a MASSIVE battery...
    07-25-14 06:25 PM
    As for billing, I assure you, I am ethical. Clients don't mind paying for e-mails typed out on mobile devices rather than laptops because it often means a faster response, which has added value.

Most of you seem to be satisfied with non-removable batteries. That surprises me, but also makes me less concerned about having a non-removable battery. On the same note, it does not sound like most of you are tremendously heavy users or tavelers. I wonder if that would change your opinions.
    You have a great practice! It's always nice to not have to worry about client push-back on billing. Even deep-pocketed clients involved in very costly litigation with huge files sometimes do weird (and stupid) things to cut legal costs.

I do appreciate the need for battery life, because that is my single biggest frustration with the Z10. I only use this phone for personal use, but I've got 3 email accounts on push (I can't have Yahoo on push because they are weird and Marissa Mayer hates BlackBerry) because I have a strong urge for prompt replies. This comes from the early days of email after the frustration of waiting for a week for a simple reply. (Un?)fortunately, I don't use it for work, but that's another story.

I'm not surprised you may choose to forego the laptop with the power of the right remote access setup these days. Apparently even dictation and docketing can be done from a phone.

Last, it's awesome that you still manage to find time to visit CrackBerry!

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    07-25-14 07:17 PM
    Actually, I have to go with TechieAttorny on this. I rather would have a removable battery than a non-removable. Same for my Q10, I've got a a extra battery with charger. What happens if the Passport battery breaks? Send in your phone?
    07-25-14 07:24 PM
    I have to go with the OP as well. Removable battery for me. I agree with all about it likely lasting a day, or being able to charge on the go - but having a removeable battery means that in 1 minute (reboot time) you can be back to 100% with peace of mind. Any other use case means hoping it lasts. It might last an entire day - but I am not interested in that time when it doesn't and it takes an hour to recharge. That is for iphone users.

Looks like I am stuck with my Z10.
    07-25-14 07:33 PM
    A lot of you seem to have been converted from removable to non-removable without a problem... I still know many people with iPhones and other devices (phones and tablets, like iPads and Microsoft Surface tablets) experiencing the degrading power of batteries over time.
    Yep, Li-ion batteries degrade with time -- especially if you are running them dry on a daily basis. Look at how many BlackBerry aficionados have old BBOS devices they bust out now and again: The only reason they are able to do that for so many years is they can go get a new battery. You won't see that with the Z30s when they join their Bold brethren in the "sentimental favorites" drawer...

Thumb-flicked from my Z30 via CB10
    07-25-14 07:46 PM
    Just to be explicit: I also would strongly prefer a removable battery.

Thumb-flicked from my Z30 via CB10
    07-25-14 07:47 PM
    Sometimes having to battery pull and swap is not good.

You can always use an external charger like the one for the z30.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-25-14 08:07 PM
    All those who are saying the battery on the Passport may last for a long period are not totally wrong, but they are missing the point a little bit. With my Q10 and external battery chargers I never need my phone plugged in. Not for an hour, not for ten minutes, never. No matter how good the battery is on the Passport, I will need the phone tethered to an outlet for some time to charge it. Sure, I sleep from time to time, and that is a good time to charge. But what about when I fall asleep on the couch and never get it plugged in. What about when I make it to a hotel feeling like a Zombie and fall asleep before I plug in the phone. In all those circumstances, the removable batteries rock and non-removable batteries fail.
    Q10Bold and dmlis like this.
    07-25-14 09:48 PM
    All those who are saying the battery on the Passport may last for a long period are not totally wrong, but they are missing the point a little bit. With my Q10 and external battery chargers I never need my phone plugged in. Not for an hour, not for ten minutes, never. No matter how good the battery is on the Passport, I will need the phone tethered to an outlet for some time to charge it. Sure, I sleep from time to time, and that is a good time to charge. But what about when I fall asleep on the couch and never get it plugged in. What about when I make it to a hotel feeling like a Zombie and fall asleep before I plug in the phone. In all those circumstances, the removable batteries rock and non-removable batteries fail.
    That's what's so peculiar about your complaint - you need to charge your other battery right? So you must be charging something on a daily basis. Difference between you and people with no charger bundle is that you plug in your battery and they plug in their phones. Make note however, that z30 users and q10 users typically get through the day without needing to charge, so they're not tied to an out let. They charge overnight.

You can easily forget to bring your spare battery, or fall asleep without remembering to plug in your spare. Bla Bla Bla.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    DYLANHABKIRK and ediggity like this.
    07-26-14 12:43 AM
    You do realize that... you can replace the battery of the Z30 and Q5 even of its non removable... Passport will be the same deal. degradation will not be a problem period.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-26-14 12:49 AM
174 1234 ...