Visited the Telus store today in regards to the Passport.

Mind you, this isn't a nitty gritty review, but i will say that I saw a lot of great things while using the phone.

The size of the phone isn't as big as people make it out to be. Compare it against the Note or Samsung Galaxy and it's well sized. I've found that people blow things out of proportion, especially when they haven't seen it in person. A few cool things i did while I was there. They had a demo unit which I tinkered around with, but I more or less wanted to see how it was in both a shirt and jeans pocket. Both fit fine. The shirt pocket it fit in perfectly. Width is perfectly fine with a tad or room left over. The pants pocket was fine too. I have a Z10 and you see an outline of it as it is, this would be the same thing for the Passport.

I would have to say the screen was gorgeous. It was vibrant and full of colours when watching video as well as using the phone with the programs currently installed. I read canoe.ca on the device and felt it was "just right" when reading text. I even enjoyed typing in MS word and practicing the delete swipe from the keyboard. the feature of the virtual 4th row for punctuation was really neat as well.

The weight of the device is fine as well. Not heavy at all. If you can't lift a 1 pound weight then you shouldn't be using a cell phone at all.

I for one am one of those cell phone users who uses a phone for talk, text and emailing. There's a handful of applications that I use, but I'm not one of those people who considers the applications a make or break when purchasing. The preinstalled apps are fine for anyone. There's also apps you can download from the app store or can even sideload.

All in all, the product is really great. If you're looking for a phone in the blackberry lineup, this is the one I would definitely recommend.
    09-25-14 11:12 PM
    Thanks for the review, regular Joe!
    09-25-14 11:27 PM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Nice... "love st First Touch "

Posted via CB10
    D3C0D3R and JottyT like this.
    09-25-14 11:51 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts down!
    JottyT likes this.
    09-25-14 11:57 PM
    I agree. The device was not as big as I thought too. In John Chen's hand it does look larger. Then you look at Crackberry's un-boxing video and you see a Giants hand with the device. You really have to handle it yourself before making a judgement.

Big Brother Hoards Your Data, stop the hoarding.
    09-26-14 12:02 AM
    Does the back material feel like the playbook's?

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    09-26-14 12:05 AM
    anytime my friend
    Thanks for the review, regular Joe!
    09-26-14 12:08 AM
    I agree. The device was not as big as I thought too. In John Chen's hand it does look larger. Then you look at Crackberry's un-boxing video and you see a Giants hand with the device. You really have to handle it yourself before making a judgement.

Exactly. Jon Chen is a smaller guy mind you. I found that when I compared my Z10 to it, it really wasn't a far stretch of what people make it out to be. It's actually funny the smack talk I've read on here. I think it goes back to human nature and not liking change. It's a decent product with great features.

If you've had a Z10, Galaxy, NOte, etc, you'll be pleasantly surprised with this phone. I just wish Telus would have cut me more of a deal on buying out of my contract to get into this one. Sigh.

09-26-14 12:14 AM
    Never had a playbook unfortunately. The back isn't slick or would slip out of your hand from what I felt.
    09-26-14 12:15 AM
    Thanks for the review regular Joe. How was it typing with the 3 rows of keys, instead of the usual 4? How was navigating the screen using the touch sensitive keyboard? I know this phone most likely isn't a one-handed device, but did you happen to try and use the phone with only one-hand?
    09-26-14 12:20 AM

I honestly think this is different for everyone. When I saw the phone in person it looked big, probably because I have smaller hands than all the hands that have thus far been in pictures with the phone. Plus I had my small purse which I'd just finished putting my Z10 in (it barely fits) my second thought that immediately came to mind was that I'd have to buy a bigger purse.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 12:23 AM
    I have to agree with the regular Joe review here, I also took a minute to head to a Telus store to play with one and see how it performs. It's fast, that's for sure, and the look of it definitely grows on ya, but I won't be giving up my Z30 any time soon... unless it either goes through a serious price drop (which is unlikely) or I have a sudden increase in money lol

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    09-26-14 01:35 AM
    Let me know your thoughts on when your receive the phone. You're getting yours today, right?
    09-26-14 11:40 AM
    I would say pricing is a variable for sure. When speaking with Telus they said they would drop my buy out price down to $200; however, when you add in the device cost of $200 you're up to $400.
    09-26-14 11:42 AM
    Another quick tip in regards to Telus, Rogers or any carrier (US / CND), you can still purchase the phone for $200 on an existing plan you have as long as the plan amounts to $70 before taxes.

My plan is $65 so technically i just need to add on a simple feature and will be good to go; however, budget for the buy out piece as well. As mentioned in a reply above, I would have to pay $200 (buy out of current contract) + $200 for device + $10 (new Sin nano card) = $410 plus tax.

I definitely want to purchase one; however, I'm also thinking of waiting to pay down my device balance and seeing if Virgin mobile will offer this device and what their plans look like. Currently, you can get a plan for $45+ tax. May as well save some money in your pocket. Long term it's worth the wait.

What do you guys think?
    09-26-14 11:49 AM
    Thanks for the review regular Joe. How was it typing with the 3 rows of keys, instead of the usual 4? How was navigating the screen using the touch sensitive keyboard? I know this phone most likely isn't a one-handed device, but did you happen to try and use the phone with only one-hand?
    No problem sxchan. The typing was interesting. I can give you a lil bit of background and some contrast on my experiences. So, I've had a curve, bold 9900 and now currently on a Z10. Changing from a physical keyboard to a touch screen took a little bit to adjust to. Having the Z10 for a year and a half I've been able to plug through messages no problem; however, I'm still partial to a keyboard for all the reasons regarding proficiency.

In regards to my experience the other day, working with the 3 rows instead of the 4 wasn't anything of a huge difference when you specifically go from 3 to 4 rows - remind you, i've been away from a physical keyboard for such a long time. At first it took a little getting used to because you're actually "pressing" a button to enter information onto the device. I tried typing with one hand which I can do due to having a larger hand; however, when using my left hand to type in a letter at the opposite site of the keyboard could be a little bit of a challenge; however, even on my toucheless keyboard on the Z10 I always use two hands regardless of it being present or virtual. It's defintely going to be a two handed device for typing out an email or lengthly text / bbm; however, all in all it's nothing i would be too concerned about. I would recommend going to a store to get the feel of it personally. The reason I say that is because we all have our own perceptions of what is good or not.

navigating the screen was pretty easy. It through me off (in a good way) that you can have more than 4 windows open at a time in the background. Unless you have gumby fingers to stretch over to the opposite side of the screen you might have to hold / position the phone in a particular way to close the application - still, depends on the hold, positioning and so on. Blackberry is more known for a productivity device vs phones (I may be stereotyping) such as iphone and android where it's one finger / thumb presses.

For anything else I did on the device it was pretty straight forward with a one hand. So far I'm pretty impressed. Now if the stock would go up then I'd be even more happier.
    09-26-14 12:30 PM
    Does the back material feel like the playbook's?

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    Yes pretty similar, I have a PlayBook and played with a passport on launch day and didn't feel that the phone will slip out if your hands easily.

Posted via CB10
    JottyT likes this.
    09-26-14 12:39 PM