I’m going to buy a bb passport in a week or so and was wondering if it’s still good to use on a day to day basis? Should I save money and go refurbished or get brand new? Only skeptical of refurb is because of the battery...

Any thoughts or opinions I’d love to hear them! Thanks!
    04-13-20 02:13 PM
    Should I save money and go refurbished or get brand new? Only skeptical of refurb is because of the battery...
    There are no 'new' Passports. No matter which you buy, you're going to get a battery that has been sitting around aging so it's a shot in the dark in regards to how well it will function.
    04-13-20 03:38 PM
    I have to agree that you are going to be gambling to an extent. However, a used passport in good overall condition should still give you a good run. My only concern is the BB10 OS having no support, but I've been successful thus far.

Posted via CB10 on my Passport SE
    Bla1ze likes this.
    04-13-20 03:45 PM
    There are no 'new' Passports. No matter which you buy, you're going to get a battery that has been sitting around aging so it's a shot in the dark in regards to how well it will function.
    I just meant new as in sealed box and never used lol. So refurbished is probably a better idea? I like the thought of an unused keyboard though!
    04-13-20 03:45 PM
    I just meant new as in sealed box and never used lol. So refurbished is probably a better idea? I like the thought of an unused keyboard though!
    I know what you meant, still doesn't change the condition of the battery. If it's 'new and sealed' that means it has been sitting around untouched for years. At least with a refurb, there's a CHANCE the battery may have been replaced. At the end of the day, it's still a 50/50 shot with what you'll end up with. Just go with whatever you prefer.
    Tylerr64 and Winnertrack like this.
    04-13-20 03:47 PM
    I know what you meant, still doesn't change the condition of the battery. If it's 'new and sealed' that means it has been sitting around untouched for years. At least with a refurb, there's a CHANCE the battery may have been replaced. At the end of the day, it's still a 50/50 shot with what you'll end up with. Just go with whatever you prefer.
    Thank you for the responses!

Cheers
    Bla1ze likes this.
    04-13-20 03:52 PM
    I have to agree that you are going to be gambling to an extent. However, a used passport in good overall condition should still give you a good run. My only concern is the BB10 OS having no support, but I've been successful thus far.

Posted via CB10 on my Passport SE
    I know bb10 OS is dead but I’ve heard many people still being able to use the passport as a daily driver and I want to as well.
    04-13-20 03:58 PM
    I know bb10 OS is dead but I’ve heard many people still being able to use the passport as a daily driver and I want to as well.
    If you require modern apps you need to be aware of the many limitations that BB10 has. It uses an ancient android runtime (4.3) which cannot handle many newer apps. Main use today are calls/texting/email with a few other great functions.
    Tylerr64 likes this.
    04-13-20 06:45 PM
    If you require modern apps you need to be aware of the many limitations that BB10 has. It uses an ancient android runtime (4.3) which cannot handle many newer apps. Main use today are calls/texting/email with a few other great functions.
    Yeah I knew it uses the runtime 4.3 lets just hope that these older phones last for years to come!
    04-13-20 07:33 PM
    Yeah I knew it uses the runtime 4.3 lets just hope that these older phones last for years to come!
    That's been said for so long around here that I'm afraid we're at tail end of "years to come" unfortunately for BB10 at least.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-20 08:15 PM
    I’m going to buy a bb passport in a week or so and was wondering if it’s still good to use on a day to day basis? Should I save money and go refurbished or get brand new? Only skeptical of refurb is because of the battery...

There are no refurbished or no new Passports online. Even if u get a refurbished one, it won't last. Lot of bad reviews about it on most online buy sites.
    2 options.
    Buy a used one.
    Or
    Buy something else, like key1 or key2.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-20 08:19 PM
    I purchased a new Passport OG open box from Ebay. Battery 97 percent health. Keyboard impeccable because basically a new phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-20 09:42 AM
    You can hope....

If the money for the phone is an after taught.. go for it. If it's a major purchase and you need this phone to really be your go to device for years... your taking a risk.

My guess.... stock is too cheap for someone not to buy it out. They won't have any interest in keeping any legacy smartphone support going. Only reason it hasn't happened is Prem owns too much, and it too far in the hole... but doesn't want to get any further in the hole. But if they start burning the little cash they have with the economic downturn... he'll have to.
    04-14-20 10:23 AM
    Sealed retail could be riskier because if a battery drops to zero it could brick itself and never charge. The Passport might not be quite old enough for that to happen yet but there is a chance.
    Tylerr64 likes this.
    04-15-20 10:54 AM
    Sealed retail could be riskier because if a battery drops to zero it could brick itself and never charge. The Passport might not be quite old enough for that to happen yet but there is a chance.
    Thanks for your help!
    04-15-20 04:01 PM
    I'd be VERY suspicious of a 'new,' (NOS) Passport. What you should be concerned with is how many cycles the battery has seen. Regardless of how it looks, it could have many battery cycles on it.

Case in point, I just bought a 'new looking' OG PP and it had 450 cycles on the battery. No worries thought, the, battery lasts 1.5 days and the price was right.

Sent from a Blackberry Passport
    05-27-20 06:49 AM
    I'd be VERY suspicious of a 'new,' (NOS) Passport. What you should be concerned with is how many cycles the battery has seen. Regardless of how it looks, it could have many battery cycles on it.

Case in point, I just bought a 'new looking' OG PP and it had 450 cycles on the battery. No worries thought, the, battery lasts 1.5 days and the price was right.

At cheap enough price it doesn’t matter. At this point, anyone purchasing one should consider it as purchasing a hobbyist device like Titan and only spend money you can afford to 100% lose. It’s one thing if using any BB10 hardware you purchased years ago new from official channels and buying one today
    05-27-20 03:33 PM
    At cheap enough price it doesn’t matter. At this point, anyone purchasing one should consider it as purchasing a hobbyist device like Titan and only spend money you can afford to 100% lose. It’s one thing if using any BB10 hardware you purchased years ago new from official channels and buying one today
    I wouldn't look at it in dollars a cents. What's $120? It's the time invested that matters to me the most. At some point the time wasted in tinkering to keep it running outweighs the nostagia. Not there yet...

05-27-20 10:49 PM
    I wouldn't look at it in dollars a cents. What's $120? It's the time invested that matters to me the most. At some point the time wasted in tinkering to keep it running outweighs the nostagia. Not there yet...

The actual $$$$ amount is different fo each person especially when you factor in location. While I agree that part of equation is tinkering, for me, I passed that figure of wasting time in 2015 when PRIV was introduced and I was already using Android/iOS hardware in dual carry status.

If you aren’t carrying or haven’t carried BB10 though by now, it wouldn’t be a good starting time.
    05-28-20 05:26 AM
    The actual $$$$ amount is different fo each person especially when you factor in location. While I agree that part of equation is tinkering, for me, I passed that figure of wasting time in 2015 when PRIV was introduced and I was already using Android/iOS hardware in dual carry status.

If you aren’t carrying or haven’t carried BB10 though by now, it wouldn’t be a good starting time.
    I use to reload the OS on my devices on a regular basis.... mostly because they needed it. Windows, Linux, BBOS, BB10, and even Android. But these days I'm kinda over having to tinker with things. Heck even when I upgraded the hard drives to SSD at the office a few years ago... I didn't bother doing a clean install, like I would have in the past.

Today, technology should just work.... and for the most part it does.
    05-28-20 10:52 AM
    I bought my first BlackBerry Passport back in December 2019. It was very gently used -- almost mint. The only issue it developed months later was the front camera stopped focusing. This does not always happen to Passports, but something to mention. I fixed mine, but would not recommend doing this unless you know the risks. The real problem to watch out for is the bad antenna. Be sure to ask the seller if the phone has problems connecting to a cellular network. If it does, run like lightning!!!! ⚡
    05-28-20 10:06 PM
    I still have my pp since new. I now play with it from time to time. Love this device!!!
    06-01-20 07:48 PM

If you have just some technical skills the battery is quite easy to change, so that's nothing to bother about (I use xlonger, good quality in my opinion) . Guides on YouTube!

Posted via CB10
    06-11-20 02:17 PM