There is one thing I like about iOS. All compatible phones get software upgrades at the same time, carriers can't do a thing about it.
    And then when **** hits the fan (see 'iOS 7 lockscreen bypass flaw',) carriers can't do a thing about it.
    01-06-16 03:11 PM
    BlackBerry has made 1 Android phone. Post the articles where you all agree getting this BB10 discontinued information from.
    John Chen discusses BlackBerry's CES 2016 announcements, security and the smartphone market | CrackBerry.com

How about today's interview at CES with BB CEO John Chen, where when asked about BB's hardware business, he stated that BB will be releasing one non-phone device (perhaps a tablet?) and possibly one smartphone in 2016 - and that both devices would be running Android? That means no new BB10 smartphones in 2016. Do you still believe that they'll release a BB10 phone in 2017, after almost 2 years of non-development of the OS?

The writing is on the wall - you just have to read it.
    01-06-16 06:17 PM
    If you are senior enough, use your influence to stay with BB. Unless there is a special app, your BB should operate as effectively as an iPhone if you have Active Sync.

Moreover, if the company is NOT issuing you the phone, tell them to get "stuffed". If the company does not pay for the phone, and hold the contract, then it has no right to dictate the phone you use.

Best of luck.
    01-06-16 07:00 PM
    John Chen discusses BlackBerry's CES 2016 announcements, security and the smartphone market | CrackBerry.com

How about today's interview at CES with BB CEO John Chen, where when asked about BB's hardware business, he stated that BB will be releasing one non-phone device (perhaps a tablet?) and possibly one smartphone in 2016 - and that both devices would be running Android? That means no new BB10 smartphones in 2016. Do you still believe that they'll release a BB10 phone in 2017, after almost 2 years of non-development of the OS?

Wow. I did not have time to listen to the clip. However, as someone who has done turn arounds and restructuring, this, based on what you wrote, makes little sense. Ignore the fact Mr. Chen has made the decision to focus on a new product while alienating a much larger established customer base, the decision is made to perhaps NOT launch another Blandroid? While I do not have a crystal ball or inside intel, this seems a recipe for obscurity at best.
    01-06-16 07:06 PM

I listened to it 3 times but never heard that. Can you give a timestamp?
    01-06-16 07:16 PM
    Wow. I did not have time to listen to the clip. However, as someone who has done turn arounds and restructuring, this, based on what you wrote, makes little sense. Ignore the fact Mr. Chen has made the decision to focus on a new product while alienating a much larger established customer base, the decision is made to perhaps NOT launch another Blandroid? While I do not have a crystal ball or inside intel, this seems a recipe for obscurity at best.
    Blackberry has 0.3% of the market and Android has like 60% to 80% of the market. Who has a larger customer base?? BB10 is over.

Posted via CB10
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    01-06-16 07:22 PM
    Blackberry has 0.3% of the market and Android has like 60% to 80% of the market. Who has a larger customer base?? BB10 is over.

Posted via CB10
    I believe you misunderstood my comment: at the moment, still, BB OS users continue to be a far bigger customer base than is Blandroid. Indeed, the Android market is much larger than BB OS. However, BB has yet to sell enough of its Blandroid to displace the importance of the BB base. In time, it may be different, but it would appear the decision to deprecate BB OS is premature. It would, make more sense to continue to update, not just security patches, perhaps even one phone, while developing, securing and profiting from the Blandroid market.

Indeed, it would make sense to publish a road map or tease the market with the next phone - manage expectations to BB's benefit.
    01-06-16 07:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't think android will save blackberry. Plenty of other android device makers with even less market share with a more affordable product. Simply joining the pack won't make them leaders or even relevant . They give up with bb10 the only advantage they had.
    Vistaus likes this.
    01-06-16 07:26 PM
    Just curious, what does active sync cost a company to operate? I know that was some of the drawback to BBES, it cost for the server software then you had to pay for each device...
    01-06-16 08:09 PM
    playfoot, this is a good counterpoint to what everyone else says in knee jerk fashion. Also, their current BB10 users might be fairly sticky. Meaning they might be very loyal so that BB does not need a large investment to keep them around.
    01-06-16 08:46 PM
    I listened to it 3 times but never heard that. Can you give a timestamp?
    My bad. That was the wrong link (I was watching several videos of the interviews).

Here:

BlackBerry going all-in on Android phones - CNET
    01-06-16 09:57 PM
    Just curious, what does active sync cost a company to operate? I know that was some of the drawback to BBES, it cost for the server software then you had to pay for each device...
    Assuming they're already running Exchange servers (the most common way to have internal corporate email), it's free.
    01-06-16 10:12 PM
    I believe you misunderstood my comment: at the moment, still, BB OS users continue to be a far bigger customer base than is Blandroid. Indeed, the Android market is much larger than BB OS. However, BB has yet to sell enough of its Blandroid to displace the importance of the BB base. In time, it may be different, but it would appear the decision to deprecate BB OS is premature. It would, make more sense to continue to update, not just security patches, perhaps even one phone, while developing, securing and profiting from the Blandroid market.

Indeed, it would make sense to publish a road map or tease the market with the next phone - manage expectations to BB's benefit.
    But it doesn't make sense to keep pushing BB10. No one will buy it.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-06-16 10:29 PM
    Really feel sorry for you but this procession of leaving Blackberry and going to other platforms has been happening since many years . Blackberry in order to gain its lost glory has switched to Android in the hope that things will improve and I am sure they are in better position than before .. I am one of the .001 percent customer who loves BBRY10 devices. I have purchased my first ever android phone in Priv and have adopted the change . Passport SE will continue to be my first phone and I shall be using the Priv as back up . Here in UAE the carrier provides option of DUAL SIM CARDS or CLONE SIM cards for devices. I am using my same number on SE and the Priv . My experience with the Priv is so far so good . Cheers !!
    01-07-16 01:41 AM
    Is the bad news BlackBerry losing those 2% i.e. 20 phones?

Q10 \m/
    Damn I was sure 2% of 2000 was 40 !
    01-07-16 04:02 AM
    But it doesn't make sense to keep pushing BB10. No one will buy it.
    I'm not so sure that's true. Android folks might not buy it. But Blackberry fans sure will. At one point there were more Blackberry users than android so the goal would be to recapture some of them as well. Obviously the market is different now, we have more smartphone users by a long shot compared to back when Blackberry was on top. These new users likely went straight to android or iPhone and have no reason to switch to a new platform.
    Blackberry cant hope to compete with the android device maker veterans and should focus on repairing brand image with the loyalists and people on the fence first. If they regain any sort of market share they can become relevant again and the next generation of smart phone users might chose Blackberry first. They just have to offer an attractive product at an attractive price.
    01-07-16 07:04 AM
    Larger, established.... and shrinking BB10 customer base. Chen didn't need a crystal ball to see that BB10 was a dying platform, he could look at sales and active BB10 devices via their NOC. At this point I bet there are more than 800K BB10 users a quarter, moving away from the platform, remember the majority of BB10 devices sold were during that first year, many of which are now over two years old....

Maybe Android doesn't turn out to be the "solution", but it was clear that sticking to BB10 wasn't going anywhere.
    srzjumper and GadgetTravel like this.
    01-07-16 07:22 AM
    Larger, established.... and shrinking BB10 customer base. Chen didn't need a crystal ball to see that BB10 was a dying platform, he could look at sales and active BB10 devices via their NOC. At this point I bet there are more than 800K BB10 users a quarter, moving away from the platform, remember the majority of BB10 devices sold were during that first year, many of which are now over two years old....

Maybe Android doesn't turn out to be the "solution", but it was clear that sticking to BB10 wasn't going anywhere.
    And if the Priv doesn't outsell BB10 devices it proves it was not the fault of the OS.. its Blackberry
    01-07-16 08:41 AM
    Chen actually said that he hopes that Priv's selling will help to restore device's division and maybe to have another BB10 phone.

Stick to the writings on the wall.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-16 09:30 AM
    "Recipe for obscurity"

Chairman Chen's roadmap to the future.
    01-07-16 09:42 AM
    Looks like Samsung Edge is que'd up to be my next phone. I moved on from the BB qwerty keyboard long ago (though I loved it at the time before touch screen was fully developed) so no need for Priv.

For now and probably for next half year at least, really enjoying my Z30 and fully matured BB10 OS. If they ever manage to integrate BB10 OS using an app (maybe they already but I haven't looked into it) that would be nice.
    01-07-16 10:09 AM
    I'm not so sure that's true. Android folks might not buy it. But Blackberry fans sure will. At one point there were more Blackberry users than android so the goal would be to recapture some of them as well. Obviously the market is different now, we have more smartphone users by a long shot compared to back when Blackberry was on top. These new users likely went straight to android or iPhone and have no reason to switch to a new platform.
    Blackberry cant hope to compete with the android device maker veterans and should focus on repairing brand image with the loyalists and people on the fence first. If they regain any sort of market share they can become relevant again and the next generation of smart phone users might chose Blackberry first. They just have to offer an attractive product at an attractive price.
    And no ecosystem. BB10 is done, and don't forget the cost for adding a few things to Android has to be a lot less than having your own OS.
    01-07-16 11:01 AM
    And no ecosystem. BB10 is done, and don't forget the cost for adding a few things to Android has to be a lot less than having your own OS.
    The ecosystem excuse BS. The average android user has no clue what apps are available on what platform. Of the billions of consumers you think the majority are as informed as the average CBforum member?
    01-07-16 11:05 AM

I see the current BB10 hardware options as being rich and enough for now. I personally don't expect a new BB10 hardware till 2017. If I were in charge I would announce it and give the reason that there are enough options right now. Who wouldn't?

Thanks about the tablet news. I will for sure consider the Blackberry tablet and I will even accept a droid on the tablet only because there is no alternative.
    01-07-16 12:06 PM
    I only have the iPhone as an option in my company too. No Android due to security concerns and BlackBerry is being abandoned due to additional costs for BB services. It's kind of ridiculous, that way Apple is the only major player in the enterprise market.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-16 12:25 PM
67 123