Seeing that the Scuderia Ferrari Championship Event was running again and there was a chance to win a free F1 car, I wanted to try again to make Real Racing 3 work on my Passport. (I had missed the Ferrari F14 T event the first time around on my iPad and I thought I would do the event on both devices.)

I knew I couldn't use my existing 74% complete iOS Game Center account or even do a cloud save from the Passport as it wouldn't login to Google+ but the prospect of at least one interesting car on the BlackBerry motivated me to try get it going.

The OS 10.3.1 update and the new screen size options finally made Clash of Clans playable (I had previously loaded it via Snap) which gave me hope.

I'm not sure if anything actually changed with 10.3.1 for Real Racing 3 as it still would seem to freeze when starting. However, this time I let it run (and run and run and run...).

It takes about 45 minutes to get Real Racing 3 to load. Then after you choose an event it usually takes about 15 minutes to start the race. After the race you can choose to Retry and the race starts in about 2 to 5 minutes. If you choose Continue it takes about 45 minutes to get back to the main screen.

The frame rates seem quite good almost all of the time. Rarely there are a number of freezes in a race that last for 3 - 10 seconds. They may result from some flash memory lag or something timing out, I don't know. The tilt sensor works great. The Rectangular screen size option shows everything. Recently I've been running it Zoomed out Full screen which chops the left and right edges including some of the heads up display but it makes it easier to see where you are going.

I've been leaving the phone on the charger and just letting it run to try get through the Ferrari event but I think being on Stage 7 of 12 with 4 days left in the time limit of the event that I may not have much of a hope of completing it in time.

Has anyone else been running the Google Play store version of Real Racing 3 on the Passport? Does anyone know why it takes so incredibly long to load? It's not a deficiency in RAM or processing power. Is it timing out on something? On first starting the game it wars that it requires Google Play Services to run but like other games it will continue to run anyway if you ignore the message. Is it trying to cloud save and waiting until it fails? I chose Download All Assets after I first ran it so that can't be the hold up. It did take a long time to load the 1.5 GB or whatever that was.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to speed up the game and event loading or whether it's futile to keep trying to slog through the Ferrari event. If it could get it to load in half the time I could stay on schedule for the event.

Beyond that, is the Google Play version ever going to get better on the Passport or is it a waste of time to establish an account that is just not viable to play on a daily basis? I would love to see even the BlackBerry World version available for the Passport but what I really want is an Amazon App Store version that is current with Google Play and that can do cloud backup and link friends.

Is this just a pipe dream?

Vincentz
    05-28-15 07:02 AM
    yes, yes it is
    Vincentz-21 likes this.
    05-28-15 07:55 AM
    You're waiting for 45 minutes for a game to load and 15 minutes for a race to start? The Passport is not running a full version of Android, it's just an Android runtime that allows for limited use of Android apps within the BB10 environment. Your game doesn't have a prayer of working at high performance in this way. This is why you waiting 45 minutes.

Honestly, that's absolutely nuts. It has been said many times in these threads that the Passport is a phone for work, and iOS/Android devices are media devices.

If you want to work, keep your Passport. If you want to phone game, sell it and get an iPhone or Android device.

I have never understood phone gaming personally. Small screens, limited controls. Why not just get a gaming PC or a console and hook it up to a TV? Bigger view, better controls.

-- Passport, Virgin Mobile (Toronto)
    Kris Simundson likes this.
    05-28-15 10:52 AM
    Honestly, that's absolutely nuts. It has been said many times in these threads that the Passport is a phone for work, and iOS/Android devices are media devices.

If you want to work, keep your Passport. If you want to phone game, sell it and get an iPhone or Android device.
    I agree...No matter how much I love my Berry - In the end of the day the truth is the truth and it hurts!

Always happy to help!
    05-28-15 11:03 AM
    D Ryan, what you wrote is probably the NOOBEST thing I read all day. If you don't know about the subject then you shouldn't type at all.

The BB Passport (or any 10.3.1 device for that matter) has a powerful android runtime.
    below is a screenshot I took after running the latest 3d mark benchmark tool downloaded through snap Real Racing 3 loaded via Snap runs on Passport if you are massively patient.Will it ever get better?-img_20150522_091401.jpg

The Samsung S5 runs native android, and has the same SOC (S5 is 2.5ghz compared to passport 2.2ghz), and scores around 18.000 points in the 3d mark benchmark.
    In conclusion; there is not a single hardware, or VM implementation reason why real racing 3 should load as slow as it does. The android runtime is comparable to the one used in native android, and the internal flash is extremely fast as well.

To answer the OP; maybe the game installed files to your external sd card? try to remove it if possible I guess. Also it could be the google play services trying to connect and timing out eventually. I will test it for you tomorrow as it's 1.22 AM over here.

There are instructions to put google play services on your passport maybe you can try that?
    Vincentz-21 likes this.
    05-28-15 06:22 PM
    D Ryan, what you wrote is probably the NOOBEST thing I read all day. If you don't know about the subject then you shouldn't type at all.

The BB Passport (or any 10.3.1 device for that matter) has a powerful android runtime.
    below is a screenshot I took after running the latest 3d mark benchmark tool downloaded through snap

The Samsung S5 runs native android, and has the same SOC (S5 is 2.5ghz compared to passport 2.2ghz), and scores around 18.000 points in the 3d mark benchmark.
    In conclusion; there is not a single hardware, or VM implementation reason why real racing 3 should load as slow as it does. The android runtime is comparable to the one used in native android, and the internal flash is extremely fast as well.
    Your ability to quote specs is impressive, as well as your ability to use non-existant words such as "noobest" in an attempt to insult me. I guess you didn't do very well in your special ed classes did you.

One piece of software giving you a momentary report does NOT represent how a piece of software will run over time. As a technician, I don't give a sh*t what a benchmarking program reports because that represents momentary hardware load. I need to know how long something will last over a long period of time, and that is only done through practical use, not a benchmark test.

Our office requires Autodesk for engineering and schematic editing and publication. We decided to try those apps out on BB seeing that the Android runtime was present now. On iOS and native Android, they worked great. They choked the BB devices. Drawings were taking minutes to load and save, the interface was stuttering, it was terrible. Autodesk is de facto software for 3d design and engineering yet the runtime could not handle it.

Can the runtime handle some apps well? Absolutely. It is reliable for apps that require significant processing power and system resources? No, not based on what I've seen personally. And if you look back through the CrackBerry forums, you'll see that this subject has been broached many times with the majority opinion that the Android runtime does not provide high performance.

This is practical use vs. benchmarking. You would do well to remember that benchmarking testing in the end provides you with capability results...but it's BURN-IN testing that tells you the real truth.

Or maybe the next time a customer calls with a software problem on their PC or mobile device, I should throw specs at them like you did here and see if that will shut them up. Oh right, it won't.
    Last edited by D Ryan; 05-29-15 at 09:14 PM.
    Kris Simundson likes this.
    05-28-15 08:36 PM
    One thing for sure, I admire OPs' patient...

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 09:26 PM
    One thing for sure, I admire OPs' patient...

Posted via CB10
    Indeed. We had to exercise similar patience when we tried running Autodesk apps on our Passports, something DeRedder just doesn't get. There is a difference between what specs and benchmarks say and what actually happens with practical use.

Just like how people have been having good and bad experiences with the devices as a whole...the runtime is the same. Your mileage may vary.

-- Passport, Virgin Mobile (Toronto)
    Last edited by D Ryan; 05-29-15 at 11:38 AM.
    05-28-15 10:52 PM
    I love Real Racing 3 and play it on my iPad all the time, but I can't imagine waiting all that time for a race to start or for the app itself to open!

You have a ton of patience.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 11:49 PM
    You're waiting for 45 minutes for a game to load and 15 minutes for a race to start? The Passport is not running a full version of Android, it's just an Android runtime that allows for limited use of Android apps within the BB10 environment. Your game doesn't have a prayer of working at high performance in this way. This is why you waiting 45 minutes.

I have never understood phone gaming personally. Small screens, limited controls. Why not just get a gaming PC or a console and hook it up to a TV? Bigger view, better controls.
    The interesting thing was that once a race started the frame rate and responsiveness were excellent (almost all the time). It felt like it was having no problem with the actual racing.

When retrying a race I've had it start in as little as a minute. This is comparable to an iOS device. I presume that retrying avoids loading track and opponent data from either flash or network and that's why it is so much quicker. It just doesn't make a bunch of sense why other loads are as brutally slow as they are, unless they are timing out on some attempted network connection.

As to why play on mobile.... well, because it is mobile. I can play in a waiting room somewhere or anywhere else I am killing time. In one specific scenario, there are times when I'm on site working on a computer in the middle of the night and waiting for an operation that is going to take somewhere between 5 minutes and an hour and I can't tell ahead of time how much so I have to sit there and be ready to go on to the next thing and there is no other work that I can do in the meantime. In that case I could browse the web on my phone or read email or play a game. The first two probably make a lot of sense to you. I respect your preferences on the latter but I'm willing to deal with a small screen in that scenario to play an interesting game.

As for replacing my Passport with iOS or Android, I lose this phone and wouldn't want to give it up. I'm willing to accept its limitations since what it is good at is much more important to me. Still, it shows the capability to be the best of both worlds some of the time. I expect as the Amazon app store grows this will be more and more the case.

With respect to Real Racing 3 and the Ferarri event, I gave up on it ever finishing on time and I'm giving up on it for now as viable game generally. Apart from trying to make it work though I'm curious as to the technical details as to why it doesn't work.
    06-01-15 12:55 AM
    To answer the OP; maybe the game installed files to your external sd card? try to remove it if possible I guess. Also it could be the google play services trying to connect and timing out eventually. I will test it for you tomorrow as it's 1.22 AM over here.

There are instructions to put google play services on your passport maybe you can try that?
    I tried running the game with my external SD removed and there was no change. Thanks for the suggestion though.

As for Google Play Services, it looked like I would be loading something from a third party whose credentials I haven't yet checked and it was unclear whether it would be any help for this app. Between those two things I haven't chosen to try it. Maybe I will give it a try when I understand more what they are doing when they are adding Google Play Services (with disclaimers that it doesn't work the same as real Google Play Services).
    06-01-15 03:34 AM
    Give it time. Look how much the android runtime has improved between10.1 - 1.3.1.
    I'm sure by 10.4 it's gonna be native quality.
    You'll catch them next year :P

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 03:54 AM
    OK so I tried it on my z10 running 10.3.2.281.. At first it didn't load or anything just stayed on the start screen. I had turned off the on screen back key but the space just turned blank. Anyways so I closed it and open it again this time the game took up the whole screen with the blank space from the back button gone. Within 5 mins it started downloading. Said it was 528mb. It took forever to download (1 hour 50 mins) and it actually downloaded 900mb. Anyways it downloaded ( it froze at 97.2 for a while tho) then the game started and I heard the intro music and everything. But then it froze or something cause the music stopped and the spinning icon stopped. So I closed it and I tried reopening it but it's taking very long to load and I've kinda grown impatient plus I have other stuff to do on my phone. I'll try again later tho and see if it plays. BTW when downloading it jumps to every percentage so it's not a smooth download really so if u see it not moving just wait and then you'll see it jump by a couple percentages.

33338F80
    06-04-15 02:11 PM
    OK so I decided to try again tight after I posted the last thing and it's been an hour and iv gotten only as far as a load screen and intro music playing repeatedly.

First it was on this screen for a long time

Real Racing 3 loaded via Snap runs on Passport if you are massively patient.Will it ever get better?-img_20150604_135045.png

Then I got this message
    Real Racing 3 loaded via Snap runs on Passport if you are massively patient.Will it ever get better?-img_20150604_142940.png

Clicked dismiss former then it just went to this screen and played the intro music forever

Real Racing 3 loaded via Snap runs on Passport if you are massively patient.Will it ever get better?-img_20150604_143044.png

33338F80
    06-04-15 03:14 PM
    My mistake that's the wrong screen shot for the first pic. Doesn't look like I screen shot it before the message. However it was on a load screen before the message for a long time

33338F80
    06-04-15 03:15 PM
    Had it installed on my Samsung Grand 2, and it runs smooth as sail. Heheh. Never knew this game and now I'm hooked! Thank you!
    06-04-15 06:52 PM
    You guys are crazy waiting that long on a game... if you're that motivated to play. Just use bluestacks android emulator on pc.. but waiting that kinda time is madness :P

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 02:16 AM
    Lol I have 4 months of summer. I have lots of time. Plus I was bored. ....and my pc ain't working but bluestacks is the way to go

33338F80
    06-05-15 07:03 AM
    Why bother?

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 12:49 PM