Too few Passports? They are still trying to get rid of it after they released 4 other device not including excluding the Passports revisited.
    Please read what I wrote again.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 03:55 PM
    I don't know. See how easy that is to say? I don't know. You don't know. None of us know. We can make guesses perhaps, but they would be wild guesses. How much do you know about Jakarta, for example?

Were they left with vast amounts of unsold inventory on any phones other than the Z10? Did they sell any phones at a loss? Which ones?

We don't know. Android fans have a habit of thinking they know things they don't.

Posted via CB10
    They did a single, small run of Passport SE devices that took over 2 years to sell out.

You can do the math in as many interesting ways as you like, but in the end, when you take the billion dollar losses on BB10, there is no magic formula to make ANY device profitable.
    03-17-17 05:42 PM
    They did a single, small run of Passport SE devices that took over 2 years to sell out.

You can do the math in as many interesting ways as you like, but in the end, when you take the billion dollar losses on BB10, there is no magic formula to make ANY device profitable.
    I bought a passport white and I never even knew of the passport SE. And even when looking for the passport, there was no mention of the passport se anywhere, anddd I consider myself to be abreast of technology. The existence of the SE was only known to me on crackberry. I hope you see where I'm going with this.... the SE was a marketing failure, and that's why people who see the passport with me are shocked by it as they've never seen this beauty before!

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 05:51 PM
    I bought a passport white and I never even knew of the passport SE. And even when looking for the passport, there was no mention of the passport se anywhere, anddd I consider myself to be abreast of technology. The existence of the SE was only known to me on crackberry. I hope you see where I'm going with this.... the SE was a marketing failure, and that's why people who see the passport with me are shocked by it as they've never seen this beauty before!

Posted via CB10
    The question was, did any BB10 device make money. The answer is, not even remotely close.
    03-17-17 05:56 PM
    Did blackberry sold more passport than dtek50 and 60 combined? Just curious.
    03-17-17 06:30 PM
    The question was, did any BB10 device make money. The answer is, not even remotely close.
    I don't know wyy we even try with this guy. He said in another thread that he made an android Passport with something called "Rick's Tools"
    Attached Thumbnails Reactions to the KeyOne from Passport users...-58089.jpg  
    03-17-17 06:35 PM
    I don't know wyy we even try with this guy. He said in another thread that he made an android Passport with something called "Rick's Tools"
    But did you try it?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-17-17 07:33 PM
    My Passport, bought on day of launch, has been good but the keyboard is harder to type on than the older BlackBerry phones and now that the Hub has had time to mature on Android I'm not overly concerned about losing any productivity in messaging. I haven't felt deprived by lack of apps but that's because I value BB10. Once the apps are there I will definitely be taking advantage of them.

I will have the KEYone and I will like it. Or else!

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 07:36 PM
    My Passport, bought on day of launch, has been good but the keyboard is harder to type on than the older BlackBerry phones and now that the Hub has had time to mature on Android I'm not overly concerned about losing any productivity in messaging. I haven't felt deprived by lack of apps but that's because I value BB10. Once the apps are there I will definitely be taking advantage of them.

I will have the KEYone and I will like it. Or else!

Posted via CB10
    Im still trying to get that Docs to Go style of feel onto the Priv. Is there an all in one app that can handle that or do I physically need Excel, Word, etc?

Overall I feel like I'm just slightly slower on my Priv productively than I was on my Passport.

I'm kind of looking forward to the K1. I can't wait to get the classic style and keyboard. The PKB on the Priv is serviceable, but not quite tactile enough for me.
    03-17-17 09:10 PM
    But did you try it?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Send me the link to the magical and probably non existent tools, and I'll check it out.

Seeing as there has only been ONE android powered Passport and that came from BlackBerry themselves, please excuse the fact that I am HIGHLY skeptical.
    03-17-17 09:12 PM
    No BB10 device was ever profitable.

Posted via CB10
    Do you have individual phone sales and cost data or are you just speculating?

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 09:40 PM
    Again,
    Do you have numbers to prove, especially for the devices that were issued AFTER the z10 billion was written off?
    Also, do not forget the two billions "written off" by Chen on android and his software acquisitions which haven't brought any profits for three years and counting.
    Those two billions were not spent on bb10 development. They were spent SINCE Chen joined.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 09:47 PM
    Again,
    Do you have numbers to prove, especially for the devices that were issued AFTER the z10 billion was written off?
    Also, do not forget the two billions "written off" by Chen on android and his software acquisitions which haven't brought any profits for three years and counting.
    Those two billions were not spent on bb10 development. They were spent SINCE Chen joined.

Posted via CB10
    There is no definitive data because BlackBerry didn't release phone sales if I'm not mistaken. Think about this for second, if bb10 was profitable and making money for BlackBerry, do you think that would've changed to Android to help their fortunes?

Hardware wasn't making any money for BlackBerry for a long time and that's the reason they had to move forward with these license agreements.

BlackBerry wasn't making money on their own OS and wasn't making any money going android and designing their own phones.
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-17-17 10:01 PM
    I don't know. See how easy that is to say? <i>I don't know.</i> You don't know. None of us know. We can make guesses perhaps, but they would be wild guesses. How much do you know about Jakarta, for example?

Were they left with vast amounts of unsold inventory on any phones other than the Z10? Did they sell any phones at a loss? Which ones?

We don't know. Android fans have a habit of thinking they know things they don't.

Posted via CB10
    Has nothing to do with Android fans or not. I own at least one model of every BB10 device model produced. That's eight (8) hardware devices. I've used BlackBerry devices since 2001 and I've purchased at least fifteen (15) BlackBerry devices since 2004. Their last profitable device was the last BBOS7 device produced, either 9900 or 9780 since those devices required a BIS plan and put money in BlackBerry every month.

Get real, BB10 software and BB10 hardware together or separately never did and never would have ever been profitable unless it was rolled out 2008-2009 era with something generating BIS type monthly recurring subscription revenue.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 11:59 PM
    Im still trying to get that Docs to Go style of feel onto the Priv. Is there an all in one app that can handle that or do I physically need Excel, Word, etc?

Overall I feel like I'm just slightly slower on my Priv productively than I was on my Passport.

I'm kind of looking forward to the K1. I can't wait to get the classic style and keyboard. The PKB on the Priv is serviceable, but not quite tactile enough for me.
    Exactly how I feel. Just sold my Priv in anticipation of the KEYone. I'm a big office user and the individual apps for word, excel are really good. They don't feel like individual apps because typically I would use the Onedrive app as a base and launch documents from there which would automatically launch the right app for the job. Office lens is also an indispensable app to me. Excel has it's own keyboard that you can download and I switch to that if i'm doing a lot of work in Excel. I also have OfficeSuite pro as I found that really useful on the pp. I got that from Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-17 05:22 AM
    Exactly how I feel. Just sold my Priv in anticipation of the KEYone. I'm a big office user and the individual apps for word, excel are really good. They don't feel like individual apps because typically I would use the Onedrive app as a base and launch documents from there which would automatically launch the right app for the job. Office lens is also an indispensable app to me. Excel has it's own keyboard that you can download and I switch to that if i'm doing a lot of work in Excel. I also have OfficeSuite pro as I found that really useful on the pp. I got that from Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    So did you download all the individual apps and just use the files in onedrive to open them, or can I download onedrive and use that like docs-to-go on bb10?

 Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2876 
    03-18-17 01:50 PM
    I can't and I won't mess with it. If it had blackberry 10 then yes I would

Posted via CB10
    03-18-17 09:22 PM
    Has nothing to do with Android fans or not. I own at least one model of every BB10 device model produced. That's eight (8) hardware devices. I've used BlackBerry devices since 2001 and I've purchased at least fifteen (15) BlackBerry devices since 2004. Their last profitable device was the last BBOS7 device produced, either 9900 or 9780 since those devices required a BIS plan and put money in BlackBerry every month.

Get real, BB10 software and BB10 hardware together or separately never did and never would have ever been profitable unless it was rolled out 2008-2009 era with something generating BIS type monthly recurring subscription revenue.

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree. When blackberry chose to release BB10 without BIS that shot BB10 in the gut, because there was a disconnect between the hardware and the services. OS7 devices were still outselling the BB10 Devices. Why? Because OS7 had a better ecosystem

Posted via CB10
    03-18-17 09:30 PM
    There is no definitive data because BlackBerry didn't release phone sales if I'm not mistaken. Think about this for second, if bb10 was profitable and making money for BlackBerry, do you think that would've changed to Android to help their fortunes?

Hardware wasn't making any money for BlackBerry for a long time and that's the reason they had to move forward with these license agreements.

BlackBerry wasn't making money on their own OS and wasn't making any money going android and designing their own phones.
    I think we have different interpretations of what it means for a phone to be profitable.

Once the development cost of bb10 was written off, I find it hard to believe that Chen was so stupid to charge less for a Classic and a Passport than their production and development cost. The price of both the Passport and the Classic was held high for two years until they sold out.

If he did, then all those who keep applauding him here and cheering his transition to android (even less successful since he didn't even have to pay for OS and ecosystem development) are contradicting themselves.

Chen had to pay for all his software development and acquisitions that aren't making money. He did that out of bis and bb10 phone sales.
    That's why he kept them alive for more than three years after deciding to kill BB10 phones in late 2013.
    He just couldn't survive without that revenue. He couldn't pay the salaries of the software developers that he acquired or kept for his transition to a software company.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-17 11:55 PM
    I think we have different interpretations of what it means for a phone to be profitable.

Once the development cost of bb10 was written off, I find it hard to believe that Chen was so stupid to charge less for a Classic and a Passport than their production and development cost. The price of both the Passport and the Classic was held high for two years until they sold out.

If he did, then all those who keep applauding him here and cheering his transition to android (even less successful since he didn't even have to pay for OS and ecosystem development) are contradicting themselves.

Posted via CB10
    What do you mean we have different ideas of what it means to be profitable???? Profit is simple math. If the phone didn't generate more than it cost to make it didn't generate profit. If BB10 was a profitable venture for BlackBerry, it would still be in active development today.

Developmental cost can't be written off as the OS has to constantly change. You can't just leave an OS as is and expect it to survive.

If he did charge less than cost, it was to get rid of inventory and lessen the losses. The demand for the phone wasn't there and they were left with inventory. Better to sell them off for whatever you can get than for them to sit on a shelf indefinitely.

We can debate this all you want, but bb10 had to have done nothing or even less than nothing for BlackBerry for them to decide to go android.

03-19-17 12:10 AM
    What do you mean we have different ideas of what it means to be profitable???? Profit is simple math. If the phone didn't generate more than it cost to make it didn't generate profit. If BB10 was a profitable venture for BlackBerry, it would still be in active development today.

Developmental cost can't be written off as the OS has to constantly change. You can't just leave an OS as is and expect it to survive.

If he did charge less than cost, it was to get rid of inventory and lessen the losses. The demand for the phone wasn't there and they were left with inventory. Better to sell them off for whatever you can get than for them to sit on a shelf indefinitely.

We can debate this all you want, but bb10 had to have done nothing or even less than nothing for BlackBerry for them to decide to go android.

It's not about profitability, its about what's easier. It's easier to slap your brand on android that Google has developed and given for free and then license it for a fee.

BB10 might not have been generating the kind of profit blackberry wanted, and they forecasted that it might be wiser to kill it off as they envisioned zero profitability in the future. I'm saying that forecast was both wrong and right. Wrong because bb10 can provide max profitability if properly marketed and developed, and right because blackberry still has its eyes on the past and can't fathom what consumers want.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-17 12:41 AM
    You forget that whatsapp is encrypted and many people loved whatsapp before it was bought by facebook because it refused to go mainstream by not selling ads? And snapchat had lots of users because of its promise of security due to its "disappearing pics" which was easily explained to teens???

Posted via CB10
    At the time WhatsApp was bought by Facebook, WhatsApp was getting a lot of profits. It was not billions, but they were making a lot, more than $200 millions net profit a year. For consumers, WhatsApp cost $1/year.

Only after Facebook bought it, it was decided to make it completely free.
    03-19-17 03:00 AM
    So did you download all the individual apps and just use the files in onedrive to open them, or can I download onedrive and use that like docs-to-go on bb10?

Yes, on older versions of Android, you could download the office app and that had all three apps under one hood but on the current versions you need to download all the office components individually such as Excel, word, etc. Then download Onedrive.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-17 03:42 AM
    It's not about profitability, its about what's easier. It's easier to slap your brand on android that Google has developed and given for free and then license it for a fee.

BB10 might not have been generating the kind of profit blackberry wanted, and they forecasted that it might be wiser to kill it off as they envisioned zero profitability in the future. I'm saying that forecast was both wrong and right. Wrong because bb10 can provide max profitability if properly marketed and developed, and right because blackberry still has its eyes on the past and can't fathom what consumers want.

Posted via CB10
    Do you even proof read what you write before you hit send? BlackBerry is a public company. It's reason for existence is to make money for the people who have stock in the company. It's 100% about profitability. They couldn't hold up BB10 anymore. We could argue all day if it was marketing but the fact remains that BB10 didn't draw any money for BlackBerry no matter how many phones and different form factors they had. I

I still think BB10 has a place in the marketplace, but that place is shrinking fast. They don't have the money to expand on two different OS's. They had to choose one.

If they couldn't make money on handsets, they had to get out of it. It business sense. I feel like you are making emotional sense, not business sense.
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-19-17 08:01 AM
    BlackBerry blew their opportunity years ago. They never innovated and thought they could rest on past successes as the world was changing all around them. They were on the titanic but didn't realize it. If in 2007 Mike and Jim changed course quickly, the tech world would look a whole lot different now. Imagine if they realized the need for a robust app ecosystem then! Look what android did after apple unveiled their glass slab. Do we remember their first smartphone attempt? What a joke! But they quickly restrategized and put their resources in the right places and boom. Now they are a juggernaut that is isn't going anywhere. There was no reason BB couldn't have been a player too. Imagine if BB10 were fully baked and apps galore. Passport in 2010? Wow! What a killer it would have really been.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-17 08:56 AM
569 ... 1314151617 ...