I don't know how many of you watched the MWC keynote on the new BlackBerry KeyOne Android phone by BlackBerry Mobile, but if you did, I'm curious to know your reactions as one who owns and uses a BlackBerry Passport. Does it tempt you? I'm not gonna lie, it would be pretty nice to have all apps available to us and not have to worry about when our device might become obsolete. However for me (and of course we reserve the right to change our minds after using it), it made me thankful I have the Passport and really didn't tempt me at all.

Why? My main reasons (opinions) are #1 ) which is probably the most controversial is that Android just doesn't match up to BB10, it's really night and day. I have used several Android devices and even the Priv for a month. I would appreciate apps and a better camera, but BB10 is that good and Android is that inferior of an OS. I really do not like Android. If BBOS didn't exist, that would be different, but I so enjoy the fluid OS of BB10.

Also #2 ) that keyboard looks like it's going to let us down. From the surface it looks similar to the Classic, but the closer I look at it, I think it looks cramped and are those keys even beveled? It didn't look like it. Of course we'll have to try it to know, but the Passport's keyboard is unrivaled and I would not appreciate an inferior, cramped keyboard experience.

And #3 ) although the phone looks very well put together and even resembles BlackBerry phones of old, that form factor is a turnoff. Yes, most ot if is because I'd be coming from the Passport, but let's be honest, we've been spoiled by a wide and glorious screen, and the form factor of the Passport stands out from the pack. Whereas the KeyOne looks like all other smart phones on the market (except for the keyboard).

I'd love to know your initial thoughts. And hey if you disagree, great! I truly hope the KeyOne kills it and that BlackBerry Mobile is around for a long time. #LongLiveBlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    Agreed with everything you say. The phone is beautiful. But giving up a Passport for it....cant do it.

As for those concerned about BB10 support.....there are still people using BB7. May have to get a second Passport.
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    02-26-17 12:14 PM
    Nice phone but PP SE has better screen, better keyboard, premium build quality and better OS (if os has nothing to do with apps) for half price. If somebody has to switch from PP because of lack of app support, then it'd be considerable option. I stick with my beloved passport se for now, I have absolute zero temptation for new phone.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 12:23 PM
    Passport for KO: Nope
    BB10 for Android : Nope

Apps : I have 137Apps installed in my phone with only 1 Android from Google play store, so app is not my problem.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 12:38 PM
    If BlackBerry and TCL partnered I would trade in my beloved PPSE for the KeyOne if it was worth it in Canada.

BlackBerry Passport SE on OS 10.3.3.2205 Freedom Mobile after 7 yrs with Rogers
    02-26-17 12:46 PM
    I like Ky coz it's a blackberry and I trust the brand!!! It will be an addition to my passport and priv collection.

Posted via CB10
    Hehe you trust the brand??? Hahaha! Joke of the day!!!
    You know thats a TCL phone? You know what BB did with all its users?!?!...wont start to bash BB because its too easy hehe.

# soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    02-26-17 01:13 PM
    I'm disappointed. Really.
    1. It's ugly (in my opinion). A strange mixture of Passport SE and iPhone.
    2. Not real BB. The last REAL BB phone was Priv. This one is made by TCL.
    3. I'm not sure, but the keyboard looks uncomfortable. Flat keys vs beveled.
    4. The security game. Either security or Google services. Not both.
    The last OS version is a nice feature. Will the root (officially added feature since android 7.0) be available ?
    02-26-17 01:55 PM
    2. Not real BB. The last REAL BB phone was Priv. This one is made by TCL.
    The Priv was made by Winstron in Mexico.

Both the Priv and KEYone are BlackBerry designs.
    02-26-17 01:59 PM
    BlackBerry needs to make their own browser with a reader mode.

#workwide #OG Black
    02-26-17 02:47 PM
    The fact is, this may the easiest soft landing available for those considering eventually leaving a BB10 pkb device.
    This is basically how I feel. I still think the Passport is the best phone I've ever used, but the app gap is killing me. Not getting Facebook Messenger notifications is killing me. It'll need to be replaced eventually, and this looks like the best option if I want something with comparable battery life.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 02:50 PM
    Won't bother buying one. Aust pricing listed as $799 - crazily overpriced.

Love Passport, as piece of hardware it's fantastic device. But reality these days is that BB OS just doesn't cut it.

Some work done to get Android experience (apps) has been fantastic. I thank those people - without it I would not have persisted.

Alas it's too hard and I've purchased Xperia Z5 Compact off Ebay for $480 AUD. Which is about price the Keyone should have cost.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 02:51 PM
    BlackBerry needs to make their own browser with a reader mode.

#workwide #OG Black
    Chrome reader mode works pretty well.
    02-26-17 02:52 PM
    Yeah too bad Chrome BLOWS!

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 03:10 PM
    Use disa from playstore, you get fb messaging notifications.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 03:35 PM
    This is basically how I feel. I still think the Passport is the best phone I've ever used, but the app gap is killing me. Not getting Facebook Messenger notifications is killing me. It'll need to be replaced eventually, and this looks like the best option if I want something with comparable battery life.

Posted via CB10
    Why don't you get Facebook Messenger notifications? I have Messenger installed on my Passport and it works fine.
    As far as reg notifications from FB you could set up email notifications or install one of the third party apps in the BlackBerry store

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 03:48 PM
    Is this guy a troll? Selling chrome on a passport forum? This is the see no evil, hear no evil generation hey. Lol chrome.
    02-26-17 03:53 PM
    Is this guy a troll? Selling chrome on a passport forum? This is the see no evil, hear no evil generation hey. Lol chrome.
    Someone asked for an android browser with a reader mode.

Why so angry? Enjoy life.
    02-26-17 04:36 PM
    Someone asked for an android browser with a reader mode.

Why so angry? Enjoy life.
    No! Android sux! Lol

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 04:51 PM
    Honestly, it's not a bad looking phone. I do have my reservations about the keyboard. The keyboard on the "Classic"(and the Passport ) seem to me to be the benchmark. And the latest android versions are suspect in the physical form factor department, with the width of the device causing it to seem cramped, (but time will tell).
    But everything else seems to be in line with what BlackBerry10 Loyalists were asking for years ago, when the discussions of Q20 & Q30 devices hit the CrackBerry forums. We all remember the concepts, right. And many of them looked better. But BlackBerry just wouldn't build it featuring BB10. The concept is nothing revolutionary.
    So basically, it's very much of what we've been asking for, but not using the OS we loved. And those are the couple issues i have with it. With regards to Productivity, Security, and Price; BB10 , in my opinion is the better value.
    The most ironic part of it all is ; many those who seemed to have had issues with the traditional BlackBerry Form-factor in the past, won't have a problem buying this device,uhm?

A BlackBerry Fan!!!
    Last edited by KNEBB; 02-26-17 at 09:31 PM.
    02-26-17 05:11 PM
    only thing that really bothers me is that TCL is a chinese company, with the "recent" (last year) news of a different chinese phone maker leaving a backdoor in software

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/u...rity.html?_r=0

If I didn't mind that, and if I didn't have passport, I'd get the keyone. I do like the phone and have nothing against android itself.
    02-26-17 07:27 PM
    only thing that really bothers me is that TCL is a chinese company, with the "recent" (last year) news of a different chinese phone maker leaving a backdoor in software

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/u...rity.html?_r=0
    They are all Chinese companies making smart phones. You understand that BlackBerry still makes the software?
    02-26-17 07:28 PM
    Unfortunately, the form factor does not work for me. Like the width of the Passport and the comfortable keyboard. All others are too narrow for my thumbs.

BlackBerry VKB is very good so I will be ordering a Mate 9, sideloading everything with Colbalt's app manager

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 07:37 PM
    Unfortunately, the form factor does not work for me. Like the width of the Passport and the comfortable keyboard. All others are too narrow for my thumbs.

BlackBerry VKB is very good so I will be ordering a Mate 9, sideloading everything with Colbalt's app manager

Posted via CB10
    373 dpi. Yuck.

Although otherwise decent.
    Last edited by conite; 02-26-17 at 08:06 PM.
    02-26-17 07:44 PM
    Going back to the original question, is the KEYone a replacement for the Passport? I think not for the Passport but for the Classic, which my wife uses, then yes it lines up very well. Provided the performance checks out with the Snapdragon 625, every Classic (or prior) user out there ought to consider the KEYone unless devoted to the BlackBerry OS. Compared to the Classic's introductory price of $450, the KEYone's price point seems high, but there is no other PBK game in town (not counting the Priv), and at least the new dice looks more premium.

As far as the Passport is concerned, no candybar device can be a true successor IMO. BlackBerry spoiled us with a unique form factor that no narrow device can match. We really have to hope that the KEYone is such a success that BlackBerry Mobile might be brave enough to give us a Passport-like successor in the future: Android for sure and perhaps all touch, in which case a 4:3 ratio would still be enough to work wide.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 08:31 PM
    Going back to the original question, is the KEYone a replacement for the Passport? I think not for the Passport but for the Classic, which my wife uses, then yes it lines up very well. Provided the performance checks out with the Snapdragon 625, every Classic (or prior) user out there ought to consider the KEYone unless devoted to the BlackBerry OS. Compared to the Classic's introductory price of $450, the KEYone's price point seems high, but there is no other PBK game in town (not counting the Priv), and at least the new dice looks more premium.

As far as the Passport is concerned, no candybar device can be a true successor IMO. BlackBerry spoiled us with a unique form factor that no narrow device can match. We really have to hope that the KEYone is such a success that BlackBerry Mobile might be brave enough to give us a Passport-like successor in the future: Android for sure and perhaps all touch, in which case a 4:3 ratio would still be enough to work wide.

Posted via CB10
    Thissss!!!!! While I'm no fan of android on a mobile after being spoiled by the passport and BB10, I'm willing to consider this device you speak off. And yes, the keyone is no replacement for the passport, for me at least but should work for classic users and narrower form factor lovers.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 09:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well said!

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 09:23 PM
569 12345 ...