Hey everyone,

My brand new White Blackberry Passport should be arriving in the mail tomorrow. But I've got a couple of questions for the photographers out there.

First of all, is the Passport able to open and edit RAW image files? I'm coming from Android so excuse me if it sounds like a stupid question. I always shoot in RAW on my DSLR.

Secondly, I've read that its possible to connect a external SD card reader to the passport via the micro USB port. I assume that this would also work with a CF card reader (which my Canon 50D uses), but I'm not 100% sure. If not, its not the end of the world to load to my laptop and then bring them over to the Passport, but if I can skip the Laptop it makes the whole process a bit easier.

Thanks guys & gals!

Posted with a White/Bamboo 2014 Moto X...Soon to be a White BB Passport
    06-08-15 08:14 PM
    The BlackBerry Passport has a slimport which allows USB on the go. If you've got a USB based card reader then odds are good you will be able to transfer your RAW files.

As to the editing of RAW files, I am not sure if there is native software for this. (a quick search of BlackBerry world didn't find). BlackBerry 10 does however have an android player that allows for the running of android applications, which means you could possibly stick with whatever current app you are using.

P.

Posted via CB10
    CanuckRS likes this.
    06-08-15 08:25 PM
    Thanks so much for the quick response. Awesome. I already have the SD/CF reader, so I'll just order a USB adapter so I can get it hooked up to the passport. I think Camera++ is capable of shooting in RAW, so I'm hoping it should be able to make small adjustments to the files I import. I'll report back tomorrow or the next day and see how it goes!

06-08-15 08:32 PM
    You'll want to pick up a USB OTG cable then.

Looking forward to hearing your results.

P.

Posted via CB10
    CanuckRS likes this.
    06-08-15 08:38 PM
    Ordered the OTG cable on Amazon. Won't be here until Thursday, so I'll try just emailing over a RAW image and opening it in Camera++ once I've got the passport and see what happens.

06-08-15 08:48 PM
    I don't understand why you would want to edit a raw photo on a such a small screen. You need to edit your pictures on a 15" or larger screen.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 08:54 PM
    Or you can learn how to get the correct exposure in camera. I personally Don't like the quality of any camera phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 08:56 PM
    Yeah, its more of a convenience thing rather than a perfect outcome. Sometimes I don't have my big clunker laptop with me, and of course, my cellphone is always on me. So as a quick and dirty means of getting the photos off of the SLR and onto the web, its a nice idea. Of course if you want to get the photos perfect you need to be at a computer with a full suite of software and a proper screen.

06-08-15 09:01 PM
    Another option for USB OTG cable...
    Attachment 356648
    06-08-15 10:23 PM
    I think for those time you need to be that quick, shoot RAW+jpeg. That way you still have your RAW files.
    I couldn't imagine trying to edit on such a small screen.
    Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 10:42 PM
    Ordered the OTG cable on Amazon. Won't be here until Thursday, so I'll try just emailing over a RAW image and opening it in Camera++ once I've got the passport and see what happens.

You cannot open images in Camera++ app, it's an app to capture pics. And currently it doesn't support RAW shooting (well it actually does in alpha version which is not available for public)
    06-09-15 04:36 AM