It's funny you mention that, I was at my sisters house on Saturday and while talking to my niece and nephew, I asked them if they really used all the apps they have on their device and which ones they used the most?

I was surprised that the majority of the apps they use are the social apps like Facebook, Twitter, InstaGram and their banking apps. I proceeded to show them that all these where available on my BlackBerry and demonstrated each one on my passport.

They where amazed and never knew that BlackBerry even had a device on the market that can run android apps. I explained to them that most of the social apps are native ones and that they would probably only need to install their banking apps and that they would be good to go.

After going through all the demonstrations and so on, my niece went to a local T Mobile store to inquire about buying a Q10 and was told that BlackBerry is out of business and no one uses them anymore and she should buy a iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy!!!!!! WTF!!!

She came back home and called me about her experience and I told her to go to BlackBerry online where she ordered the new Classic and should have it on Friday. What really pisses me off are the folks in these stores who are passing misinformation to the consumer.

I actually thought about going to the store and let them know that BlackBerry is still in business and to stop spreading misinformation, but after thinking about it for a while, it would be like talking to a brick wall and it should be BlackBerry letting folks here know they are still around, not just the diehards like me.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    Just hope you were honest with her about some of the negatives of owning a BlackBerry in your exuberance.

I talked my daughter into a Z10 last year... huge mistake. As soon as her contract is up she is going to an iPhone.... so she can do what everyone else is capable of doing NOW.

As for marketing... I agree that marketing is the only way BlackBerry is going to attract consumers. But I don't agree that they have yet built anything that would excite consumers. Passport might have been a good start... if you believe that consumers want a QWERTY device that requires two hands and has an oddly shaped screen (1x1 in 2014?).

But the Classic and the Z3 Zombie are not anything to get consumers excited....
    A 2nd class Android experience is not anything to get consumers excited...

So if you don't have a unique and full featured platform, if you don't have state of the art hardware.... why bother spending money to advertise?
    early2bed, kbz1960 and Chrisy like this.
    12-29-14 08:19 AM
    Just hope you were honest with her about some of the negatives of owning a BlackBerry in your exuberance.

I talked my daughter into a Z10 last year... huge mistake. As soon as her contract is up she is going to an iPhone.... so she can do what everyone else is capable of doing NOW.

As for marketing... I agree that marketing is the only way BlackBerry is going to attract consumers. But I don't agree that they have yet built anything that would excite consumers. Passport might have been a good start... if you believe that consumers want a QWERTY device that requires two hands and has an oddly shaped screen (1x1 in 2014?).

But the Classic and the Z3 Zombie are not anything to get consumers excited....
    A 2nd class Android experience is not anything to get consumers excited...

So if you don't have a unique and full featured platform, if you don't have state of the art hardware.... why bother spending money to advertise?
    Very good points and I did explain the negatives with her in terms of support here in the USA and that she will probably cave in from peer pressure because all of her friends use iChat and Facetime, but she is serious about the Classic and she done her homework before she bought it, so only time will tell.

12-29-14 08:47 AM
    It's funny you mention that, I was at my sisters house on Saturday and while talking to my niece and nephew, I asked them if they really used all the apps they have on their device and which ones they used the most?

I was surprised that the majority of the apps they use are the social apps like Facebook, Twitter, InstaGram and their banking apps. I proceeded to show them that all these where available on my BlackBerry and demonstrated each one on my passport.

They where amazed and never knew that BlackBerry even had a device on the market that can run android apps. I explained to them that most of the social apps are native ones and that they would probably only need to install their banking apps and that they would be good to go.

After going through all the demonstrations and so on, my niece went to a local T Mobile store to inquire about buying a Q10 and was told that BlackBerry is out of business and no one uses them anymore and she should buy a iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy!!!!!! WTF!!!

She came back home and called me about her experience and I told her to go to BlackBerry online where she ordered the new Classic and should have it on Friday. What really pisses me off are the folks in these stores who are passing misinformation to the consumer.

I actually thought about going to the store and let them know that BlackBerry is still in business and to stop spreading misinformation, but after thinking about it for a while, it would be like talking to a brick wall and it should be BlackBerry letting folks here know they are still around, not just the diehards like me.

I have a theory on your niece's experience. It's been nearly a year since T-Mo and BB went their separate ways. I can imagine new, young reps misinterpreting the split. What really happened was T-Mobile would no longer sell BlackBerry phones, and reps might have interpreted it as "BlackBerry is no longer selling phones." I say this, because of an experience I had at Macy's one time. I'm a fragrance junkie, and I was at Macy's checking out their selection. I asked a rep about a certain fragrance I knew they once carried, and she told me it had been discontinued. I was fairly certain she was mistaken. I went home and did some research I confirmed the fragrance was still in production, but Macy's no longer carried it. The rep had misinterpreted the situation.
    12-29-14 10:59 AM
    I have a theory on your niece's experience. It's been nearly a year since T-Mo and BB went their separate ways. I can imagine new, young reps misinterpreting the split. What really happened was T-Mobile would no longer sell BlackBerry phones, and reps might have interpreted it as "BlackBerry is no longer selling phones." I say this, because of an experience I had at Macy's one time. I'm a fragrance junkie, and I was at Macy's checking out their selection. I asked a rep about a certain fragrance I knew they once carried, and she told me it had been discontinued. I was fairly certain she was mistaken. I went home and did some research I confirmed the fragrance was still in production, but Macy's no longer carried it. The rep had misinterpreted the situation.
    Very good point, but my concern is that all it takes is a few folks at these carriers spreading misinformation and pretty soon everyone thinks they are true. As a business person myself, I have found it to be easier to promote a new brand then trying to resurrect a brand that's been tarnished.

pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-29-14 11:17 AM
    Very good point, but my concern is that all it takes is a few folks at these carriers spreading misinformation and pretty soon everyone thinks they are true. As a business person myself, I have found it to be easier to promote a new brand then trying to resurrect a brand that's been tarnished.

Oh I completely agree, especially since misinformation like the stuff they're spreading can really snowball. Rep tells someone that BlackBerry is dead/doesn't sell phones, that person tells a group of friends that info when BlackBerry comes up in a conversation, those people tell their friends, etc.

When I was inquiring about the Z10 launch date a couple weeks before the rumored date (I was going to various T-Mo stores every few days at that point, lol) a rep told me that their manager had just been to a BlackBerry expo which showcased the Z10 and Q10 and the manager came away very impressed with the devices, and therefore the staff was excited as well. I didn't end up going to that particular store when I got my device, though. When I went to pick it up, I was the first one at that particular location to buy one. The staff watched intently as I set the Z10 up. I demonstrated the hub and the gestures I knew already from CB articles, reviews, etc because they didn't even have a demo device yet. I wondered if the managers from that store had attended the expo, and if they had, why didn't they train their staff about it? Or maybe they were trained a bit, but this was their first time seeing one in person.

From what I can tell from friends that are carrier reps, there are often reps from other manufacturers who go to individual carrier stores and make sure the staff is up to speed. I wish BlackBerry did more of this!! Or perhaps those type of reps were affected during the layoffs.
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-29-14 11:43 AM
    Oh I completely agree, especially since misinformation like the stuff they're spreading can really snowball. Rep tells someone that BlackBerry is dead/doesn't sell phones, that person tells a group of friends that info when BlackBerry comes up in a conversation, those people tell their friends, etc.

When I was inquiring about the Z10 launch date a couple weeks before the rumored date (I was going to various T-Mo stores every few days at that point, lol) a rep told me that their manager had just been to a BlackBerry expo which showcased the Z10 and Q10 and the manager came away very impressed with the devices, and therefore the staff was excited as well. I didn't end up going to that particular store when I got my device, though. When I went to pick it up, I was the first one at that particular location to buy one. The staff watched intently as I set the Z10 up. I demonstrated the hub and the gestures I knew already from CB articles, reviews, etc because they didn't even have a demo device yet. I wondered if the managers from that store had attended the expo, and if they had, why didn't they train their staff about it? Or maybe they were trained a bit, but this was their first time seeing one in person.

From what I can tell from friends that are carrier reps, there are often reps from other manufacturers who go to individual carrier stores and make sure the staff is up to speed. I wish BlackBerry did more of this!! Or perhaps those type of reps were affected during the layoffs.

I have been saying that for years, BlackBerry needs reps to train and familiarize the sales folks on how to use and how to sell their products. I would be happy to do the job for a decent salary.
    kbz1960 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    12-29-14 11:47 AM
    I have been saying that for years, BlackBerry needs reps to train and familiarize the sales folks on how to use and how to sell their products. I would be happy to do the job for a decent salary.
    Problem is how many reps would it take to cover a country like the US.... between a decent salary, travel expenses, benefits, taxes what would they cost the company? And what would the return be?

And you are totally forgetting that for the consumer market, maybe BlackBerry is dead.... for now.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-29-14 12:16 PM
    Yes, yes, YES!

BlackBerry are you listening? Or is your goal to fail in the hardware business?

Yah, I know... enterprise, enterprise, ENTERPRISE... in the hopes that hardware will somehow sell itself.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 12:26 PM
    Problem is how many reps would it take to cover a country like the US.... between a decent salary, travel expenses, benefits, taxes what would they cost the company? And what would the return be?

And you are totally forgetting that for the consumer market, maybe BlackBerry is dead.... for now.
    No pain no gain. To begin it would suffice to have one rep in NY, one in LA, etc. If nobody sells nobody buys.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 12:39 PM
    BB used to have (relatively small numbers of) these reps, who were actually contractors rather than employees. These contracts were discontinued last October or so. Several of those reps had posted here that their positions had been eliminated and the contract ended. BB simply could not afford the (significant) expense of keeping these reps in the field, especially with limited carrier support and no advertising to drive consumer demand.

It's not enough to just have one piece or another - you have to have the whole machine working together, or the money is just wasted, and BB does not have the money to do even one piece in an effective way, much less all of them, which is why they've abandoned the consumer market and are focusing on enterprise.

It's not as if BB doesn't know HOW to do those things - they've done them in the past. They simply can't afford to do them now.
    12-29-14 01:43 PM
    BB used to have (relatively small numbers of) these reps, who were actually contractors rather than employees. These contracts were discontinued last October or so. Several of those reps had posted here that their positions had been eliminated and the contract ended. BB simply could not afford the (significant) expense of keeping these reps in the field, especially with limited carrier support and no advertising to drive consumer demand.

It's not enough to just have one piece or another - you have to have the whole machine working together, or the money is just wasted, and BB does not have the money to do even one piece in an effective way, much less all of them, which is why they've abandoned the consumer market and are focusing on enterprise.

It's not as if BB doesn't know HOW to do those things - they've done them in the past. They simply can't afford to do them now.
    And if sales and revenues continue to fall... they'll have to cut in even more areas. As they have cut most everything already... Customer Support, BB10 Development, shutdown all device R&D and production and turn it all over to Foxconn, and might even have to streamline BBM and drop Channels if it isn't bringing in any cash at this point. It's very hard to take a large company and fit it into a small niche. Especially when that niche keeps getting smaller.

They really need hardware to support BES, or at least long enough for BES to grow enough to be a stable revenue source. Or for some of their other Service/Software to MAKE some money.
    12-29-14 03:57 PM
    ...Any advertising will only serve to refresh what most think they already know, and any millions spent will be instantly negated by one sarcastically-toned negative article on CNN, Fox, etc about its mediocre financial performance.
    Posted via CB10
    Couldn't agree more. If BB had a cash flow that allowed them to burn through money is one thing, but that's simply isn't the case . Advertising at this juncture is like going on an expensive vacation when you're struggling to put food on the table. It's just not a smart thing to do.

They have now, by necessity really, said to hell with these crummy partners and taken to sell it on their own.
    Posted via CB10
    Exactly!
    I think it was smart for BB to do so too! Otherwise, I would not have my beautiful Passport and Classic *in hand* right now. Clearly the US carriers are too much in bed with the other cell phone makers right now. If BB depended on carriers to cell units...they would likely be in even worse shape than they already are - (i.e. pre-sale sell outs would not have had a prayer of ever happening!)
    12-29-14 04:18 PM
    Have to disagree.

Many ex BlackBerry aficionados don't even know that BBRY even builds a touch screen phone. They never even knew about the Z10, let alone the Z30 or Passport. Believe me... if they knew there are hordes who would have tried it.

As long as BlackBerry refuse to advertise, they will continue to sell a few phones to geeks like us here on CB... but will continue their march toward extinction.

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't call them aficionados of anything lol

But it is true, whenever I talk about BlackBerry the widespread assumption is that they're dead. I always liken BlackBerry to Myspace as their predicaments were very similar...

Mass marketing costs a lot of money and it has to be done just right to where the message sticks instead of being blown away by one sarcastic joke from a talk show host. They don't have to have a traditional ad campaign. I can see them doing this successfully with a simple message gone viral. BlackBerry has never been about this, though, which is partially why they're struggling with their image.
    12-29-14 07:14 PM

I'm the same way with my iPad. I download some games, and other than Real Racing 3, Candy Crush Soda Saga and Words With Friends, I almost never use any other games. I'll go on Expedia to book stuff if I'm traveling, and watch HBO Go or Showtime Anytime, none of which I'd use on an iPhone or something smaller than my iPad.

Instagram isn't important enough to me to use iGrann, but I think if a native, official Instagram and Vine app came, and banking apps were ported as Android apps and available in BlackBerry World, a lot more people would consider a BlackBerry.

I'm sure there will always be the "I really like watching entire films on my phone" people, but I can't even pretend to understand what situation someone would be in where they didn't plan ahead and bring their laptop or tablet, and are left with no choice but to watch a movie on their phone.

Forget T-Mobile. I have them, and they're useless. I stay with them because the network is good where I live, and the plans give me more for less. But I haven't bought a phone from them since my Q10 the day it launched in June 2013, and I don't plan on buying one from them again since they don't sell BlackBerry devices anymore. Their reps are like my age and younger, and while I'm sure there are some informed and truly unbiased ones, I feel comfortable saying that most of these reps are just trying to rack up commission, which obviously can't be done if someone wants to buy a BlackBerry. They may know every little thing about the Samsungs and iPhones they're selling, but for them to knowingly or unknowingly mislead people about BlackBerry just shows their ignorance about the industry in which they work, and if I were a customer dealing with a rep, I'd also be concerned about the truthfulness of other information they give me.
    12-29-14 08:49 PM
64 123