BlackBerry simply does not have enough money to even consider embarking on such a re-indoctrination campaign. Any advertising will only serve to refresh what most think they already know, and any millions spent will be instantly negated by one sarcastically-toned negative article on CNN, Fox, etc about its mediocre financial performance.

There is literally nothing that conventional advertising targeted at mass consumers can do at this point.

And regarding the non-release of the Passport in the US. BlackBerry has done what they can by making it available on Amazon (not exactly an obscure retailer). It is completely up to AT&T whether they want to officially sell the device (easy) and provide support for it (not so easy).

Just a few years back you couldn't even buy BlackBerry devices from anything other than carrier stores in most places, mostly due to BlackBerry 's insistence on being a "good partner" and letting carriers make more money (by selling devices on contract). They have now, by necessity really, said to hell with these crummy partners and taken to sell it on their own.

To say that they have been somehow scared "to release their device" is completely misinformed. On the contrary, they have been bolder than ever in actually selling their devices (amazon, crazy sales, etc).

Posted via CB10
    Have to disagree.

Many ex BlackBerry aficionados don't even know that BBRY even builds a touch screen phone. They never even knew about the Z10, let alone the Z30 or Passport. Believe me... if they knew there are hordes who would have tried it.

As long as BlackBerry refuse to advertise, they will continue to sell a few phones to geeks like us here on CB... but will continue their march toward extinction.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 11:14 AM
    Have to disagree.

Many ex BlackBerry aficionados don't even know that BBRY even builds a touch screen phone. They never even knew about the Z10, let alone the Z30 or Passport. Believe me... if they knew there are hordes who would have tried it.

As long as BlackBerry refuse to advertise, they will continue to sell a few phones to geeks like us here on CB... but will continue their march toward extinction.

Posted via CB10
    I'm aware of that, but the issue is that there is such a deeply-seeded notion and "generally-accepted social knowledge" that BlackBerry is dead or still only making those old devices, that you would need a very broad and very persistent marketing campaign to do what you envision. They would have to be able to spend more than Samsung and Apple spend on marketing, while hoping Samsung and Apple stop spending any on their own,.. which will obviously never happen.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 11:39 AM
    You all miss the memo? Blackberry is making the transition to being a high margin software company. For now, hardware will be seen as a supplement to the software, not the other way around. Chen's goal for hardware is "break even." He's said so many times.
    The strategy is BES12 will manage anyone's hardware. Once people commit to BES12, then it will be advanced that BB12 plus a BB10 device is superior to Android and iOS. That's down the road. As more enterprise users pick up the BB10 hardware, then it may spread to the consumer arena. BB doesn't have the cash to push it now and may never have it. It must succeed in enterprise first, so that there is no more negativity surrounding the stock, which kills any positive messages the company could possibly offer today.
    illlya likes this.
    12-28-14 11:45 AM
    You cannot advertise a negative.... as this is the view of what BB is now... Advertising will actually have the reverse affect... Ridicule, indifference and attacks on the brand would be the order of the day... when you promote a negative brand you many time reenforce the perception not counter it......as much as the faithful believe... the rest do not and belief is a hard thing to foster... this is the principle reason that BB is fostering the Enterprise market.... there BB has a good reputation.... being threatened by competition but still security is king in that arena and BB still reigns there...... in this arena promotion is a good choice... but those in the consumer market will never see it......People complain nowadays that the Passport is not being promoted... if you look at the target market ( architects ... Doctors and the like ) why would they promote it to masses.,,.. The classic is a play for the enterprise upgrade cycle... trying to get enterprise to upgrade their old legacy devices for the classic..... which is why you see almost no consumer promotion for these devices......consumers simply are not their market any more and may never be again... sooner people realize this... the sooner we will stop having fans lamenting lack of advertising and promotion.....
    Barbareren likes this.
    12-28-14 12:35 PM
    When ya make a new kind of candy ya gotta tell people about it, or of course it will go stale because no one will even know to go into the store looking for it.

Posted via CB10
    This is exactly right. It's a new flavor but people still think it's that old flavor they hated.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    12-28-14 12:49 PM
    When Steve Jobs came back to Apple in 1997, he first worked at reorganizing the company and making them profitable.
    They did have some advertising but it wasn't until the early to mid 2000s that they really kicked advertising into high gear.

Of course the iPod helped their bottom line but it wasn't until 2007 and the combination of the Intel switch and the ''I'm a Mac'' ad campaign that the Mac platform really took off.

In Blackberry's specific case, they need a reimaging campaign similar to Dominoes pizza a few years back.

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-28-14 12:55 PM

Until BlackBerry can change the perception of the young generation who is the largest buyers of new devices here, its not going to improve any time soon.
    Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    It's not only the perception, but also a lack of the apps that most young people see as a necessity.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and Chrisy like this.
    12-28-14 01:46 PM
    maybe the OP wants to walk into an AT&T retailer and put hands on one? rather than drop $600 on something they can't touch, is it worth it? yes every penny, but words do little to match the WOW factor one gets when they actually touch and use it, would I buy one on contract? no, did I buy one without touching it first? yes, is it everything I expected? yes and then some, too the OP if you really Want one its best to buy outright, 2years is a long time to pay for a phone, and who knows if AT&T will actually release it, they might want you for 4 years

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 02:12 PM
    Obviously phone makers want their product to be pushed out and what better then carriers to help subsidize them. ATT is the big decision markers here and if anyone is to blame for the Passport it would be ATT management teams. Maybe they just don't get the whole work wide concept and instantly pass judgement the phone would be a flop. Sigh.
    12-28-14 02:26 PM
    ... if you look at the target market ( architects ... Doctors and the like ) why would they promote it to masses...
    In a way or another BlackBerry needs active promotion and sales activities. I have never heard about BlackBerry sellers going directly to architects, doctors, lawyers... nor to enterprises. How is then the business segment being approached?

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 04:10 PM
    It's not only the perception, but also a lack of the apps that most young people see as a necessity.

Posted via CB10
    It's not just young people. Smartphones run apps, that's just how or is. Most apps works better than the corresponding mobile site.

There's a lot of useful apps besides games and time wasters.

I don't think BlackBerry will make a comeback without having basic apps, which they don't. I suppose it's a Catch-22 at this point.
    12-28-14 04:36 PM
    It's not just young people. Smartphones run apps, that's just how or is. Most apps works better than the corresponding mobile site.

There's a lot of useful apps besides games and time wasters.

I don't think BlackBerry will make a comeback without having basic apps, which they don't. I suppose it's a Catch-22 at this point.
    Blackberry doesn't have basic apps? Not sure I understand that comment. Blackberry 10 apps, plus Android app, amount to a lot off Apps. And not all of them are basic!

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 05:22 PM
    Blackberry doesn't have basic apps? Not sure I understand that comment. Blackberry 10 apps, plus Android app, amount to a lot off Apps. And not all of them are basic!

Posted via CB10
    The Android apps I am using are pretty slow, if they run at all.

Here's some missing (for me) which seem pretty basic. And I'm not blaming BlackBerry. I know they're not the devs!

Bank of America
    Trip Advisor
    Amazon
    Insight Timer

I know there's a ton more, but I don't even use many apps. I also prefer the BlackBerry OS which is why I'm using it right now. But, unless you've used apps that are built well, you don't know what you're missing. Of course, some people use NO apps, and just want the phone for calls, text and email. I get that too. But that's not the majority.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 05:30 PM
    They are at a bit of the mercy of the cel provider schedule.
    Unless you have the volume that Apple does, where they can practically dictate terms to the provider, BB will have to be patient as all the rest of the cellphone manufacturers.

It's not that BB is worse, but is at the same point as the other makers.
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-28-14 08:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    To a lot of people, "basic apps" include their banking app, Instagram, Uber, and Google Maps.

I know there are workarounds, I use them, but most people would prefer to just download these directly from BlackBerry World.

I'm cool with Twitter For BlackBerry, BeWeather Pro or the stock weather app. But I've sideloaded Uber and my banking app, as well as Spotify because it's a newer version than the Amazon App Store version. Most people aren't going to want do deal with that, and that stands in the way of God only knows how many BlackBerry sales.
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-28-14 09:22 PM
    When Steve Jobs came back to Apple in 1997, he first worked at reorganizing the company and making them profitable.
    They did have some advertising but it wasn't until the early to mid 2000s that they really kicked advertising into high gear.
    Completely false. Jobs and Ives lead the creation of the iMac, which was announced in June 1998 and shipped in August 1998, with a huge advertising campaign.

Followed by the even bigger campaign for the colored iMacs:

These were both massive ad campaigns with billboards, print ads, and TV, and they were everywhere. Of course, they were advertising a product that was different than anything anyone else had seen at that point, and they were a huge success. It was very typical Steve Jobs - one product got all the focus.
    12-28-14 11:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    yes I agree with you................for me apps isn't a problem the only ppl who go on about apps are isheep users it seems as if it is the only thing that they can say .........
    12-29-14 01:05 AM
    Lol. For years folks have wished BlackBerry would sell direct to the public. Now they do. No more waiting on carriers. I think things are better not worse. Unless you're on Verizon and unwilling to move to say AT&T . Yeah.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-29-14 01:30 AM
    Lol. For years folks have wished BlackBerry would sell direct to the public. Now they do. No more waiting on carriers. I think things are better not worse. Unless you're on Verizon and unwilling to move to say AT&T . Yeah.

I think its great that you can buy direct ............I hate been tied to a carrier for two years and I have got a better deal buy getting a sim only deal
    12-29-14 01:39 AM
    I think its great that you can buy direct ............I hate been tied to a carrier for two years and I have got a better deal buy getting a sim only deal
    Yep. The Passport is my first phone I've bought unlocked. TMO is a little weak. But I can easily use AT&T for slightly more $$. Might do that and drop my main Verizon line.

Ideally I'd like to buy my phones unlocked from here on and use a GSM carrier.

12-29-14 01:56 AM
    yes I agree with you................for me apps isn't a problem the only ppl who go on about apps are isheep users it seems as if it is the only thing that they can say .........
    Some are really useful though, but I don't lose out on anything by not having some on my phone. For the most part, I don't like to clutter my phone with many apps anyways. I don't use it for music or for watching stuff, and the only games I have are BrickBreaker and Pac Man.

BlackBerry makes great apps like BlackBerry Traffic on legacy devices and BlackBerry Travel. To me, those types of apps are more useful and important than some game or Instagram or exercise tracker or whatever the must-have app of the hour is.

Posted via CB10
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-29-14 02:29 AM
    Where is the threat starter??

Q10 OS10.3.1.1154
    12-29-14 02:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    It's funny you mention that, I was at my sisters house on Saturday and while talking to my niece and nephew, I asked them if they really used all the apps they have on their device and which ones they used the most?

I was surprised that the majority of the apps they use are the social apps like Facebook, Twitter, InstaGram and their banking apps. I proceeded to show them that all these where available on my BlackBerry and demonstrated each one on my passport.

They where amazed and never knew that BlackBerry even had a device on the market that can run android apps. I explained to them that most of the social apps are native ones and that they would probably only need to install their banking apps and that they would be good to go.

After going through all the demonstrations and so on, my niece went to a local T Mobile store to inquire about buying a Q10 and was told that BlackBerry is out of business and no one uses them anymore and she should buy a iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy!!!!!! WTF!!!

She came back home and called me about her experience and I told her to go to BlackBerry online where she ordered the new Classic and should have it on Friday. What really pisses me off are the folks in these stores who are passing misinformation to the consumer.

I actually thought about going to the store and let them know that BlackBerry is still in business and to stop spreading misinformation, but after thinking about it for a while, it would be like talking to a brick wall and it should be BlackBerry letting folks here know they are still around, not just the diehards like me.

SK122387 and cbSwim like this.
    12-29-14 04:44 AM
    In the usa, and I live here. The Passport has been released from BlackBerry to amazon, shop BlackBerry, and At&t. AT&T has an exclusive on the passport. No other carry can/or will release it. It is in att to release not BlackBerry.

Can't blame BlackBerry that AT&T is sitting on it.

Posted via my Darkbeast Z30
    AT&T- like it or not, has not been in a hurry when it comes to BlackBerry since the 9000 Bold. But, I'm sure they are watching the Passport sales before launching. Regardless, any advertising would help(won't hurt) from BlackBerry....... especially after past comments on spending a substantial amount on R&D.

My new, old and still sexy Z30 on OS 1154 + Radio 1155 (~_*)
    12-29-14 05:34 AM
    It's funny you mention that, I was at my sisters house on Saturday and while talking to my niece and nephew, I asked them if they really used all the apps they have on their device and which ones they used the most?

I was surprised that the majority of the apps they use are the social apps like Facebook, Twitter, InstaGram and their banking apps. I proceeded to show them that all these where available on my BlackBerry and demonstrated each one on my passport.

They where amazed and never knew that BlackBerry even had a device on the market that can run android apps. I explained to them that most of the social apps are native ones and that they would probably only need to install their banking apps and that they would be good to go.

After going through all the demonstrations and so on, my niece went to a local T Mobile store to inquire about buying a Q10 and was told that BlackBerry is out of business and no one uses them anymore and she should buy a iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy!!!!!! WTF!!!

She came back home and called me about her experience and I told her to go to BlackBerry online where she ordered the new Classic and should have it on Friday. What really pisses me off are the folks in these stores who are passing misinformation to the consumer.

I actually thought about going to the store and let them know that BlackBerry is still in business and to stop spreading misinformation, but after thinking about it for a while, it would be like talking to a brick wall and it should be BlackBerry letting folks here know they are still around, not just the diehards like me.

This is exactly my point.

Nobody knows what BlackBerry is building these days and BlackBerry is completely missing the boat by not telling people.

I've had virtually the same experience over and over and over and over again.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 06:42 AM
64 123