Thanks, I'd forgotten about that. Does it back up the apps? That's all I'm really bothered about.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, it does a full backup.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-19 02:52 PM
    Yes, it does a full backup.

Posted via CB10
    Cheers! I'll give it a go.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-19 03:01 PM
    Regarding the autoloader not working for you. You need the Blackberry drivers on your PC to go forwards.

To get this you'll need to download Blackberry Link from Blackberry's website. This will give you the choice to install one, two or three bits of software: Driver's, Link and Blend.

You must install the driver's so that your BB can use the autoloader and so it appears as a drive when plugged in to the computer. The other two are your choice.

Link is the backup program (and other stuff like sync). If you do install it it is pretty likely not to work. One thing you must do to have it work is to temporarily re-enable SMB 1.0 on your Windows OS. I say temporarily because apparently it is insecure to leave it on these days. Press Start, type "features", select "Turn Windows Features on or off". I've done battle many times with Link and failed. I can't make it work past connecting, syncing and giving a bar chart of data types. Good luck!

Attachment 446049

Blend is brilliant and still works but is no longer supported. It brings lots of your phone to your desktop.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks! This was the missing link for me, I didn't know that I had to do that step prior to following conite's instructions. After I installed the driver's, I had to restart, and then I ran the autoloader and it worked, in addition to that I had to be connected to the internet, which I was surprised since I thought that huge local file would suffice, but I guess it had to validate something, who knows... Any how, thanks to your post, you made it work for me, thanks!

Btw, after running the above autoloader I now have:

Software Release:

and

OS Version:

Got confused with the numbers above as it was discussed earlier, but presumably I now have the latest build?
    09-02-19 03:58 PM
    Software Release:

and

OS Version:

Got confused with the numbers above as it was discussed earlier, but presumably I now have the latest build?
    Yes.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-19 04:08 PM
    Good news. Well done.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-19 04:30 PM
    Thanks guys!

Now on to phase 2... apps...

#2 Trusted App stores... conite posted Yalp, which is what I'll work on next... I also hear a lot about fdroid too... do you guys trust both?
    09-03-19 12:42 PM
    Thanks guys!

Now on to phase 2... apps...

#2 Trusted App stores... conite posted Yalp, which is what I'll work on next... I also hear a lot about fdroid too... do you guys trust both?
    A BIG yes to both. F-Droid for FOSS apps that do NOT depend on Google Services and are apps that I particularly love to use. Too bad there are so few of them.

FWIW I have Yalp (fork) , Telegram , DroidShows , Currency and sometimes use NewPipe Legacy (YouTube) , and Fennec F-Droid (Firefox browser).
    09-03-19 01:39 PM
    Both good for Android apps.

Just manage your expectations on performance of Android apps on our phones! If you can, avoid them and try to use work around in the browser (haha, almost a joke statement I know!) where you can.

Posted via CB10
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    09-03-19 03:31 PM
    A BIG yes to both. F-Droid for FOSS apps that do NOT depend on Google Services and are apps that I particularly love to use. Too bad there are so few of them.

FWIW I have Yalp (fork) , Telegram , DroidShows , Currency and sometimes use NewPipe Legacy (YouTube) , and Fennec F-Droid (Firefox browser).
    Forgive me for asking, but as a newbie, what are FOSS apps? Care to mention some of the apps that you recommend? (I'm going to be looking for VLC player, a secure browser, and maybe a youtube playing app if one exists for now at least.)

Also you mentioned a Yalp fork, as a fork I'm assuming it might be different than the one that conite posted?

Last question... do you guys have trusted links/sources to the said fdroid and yalp(if different from the one that conite posted) stores?
    09-05-19 06:35 PM
    what are FOSS apps?
    Free and open-source software. I mentioned above a decent browser in Fennec (available in F-Droid app store) but Kiwi browser is slightly better imo and available from the Yalp Store.

Conite has, I believe, given the link to the Yalp (fork) store above, so no, It is not different from my recommendation. If you download and install the F-Droid store from here: https://f-droid.org/ you can then find a good link to the Yalp store from within F-Droid along with other apps I mentioned, including the YouTube app NewPipe Legacy.
    09-05-19 06:45 PM
    I'm going to be looking for VLC player
    I wouldn't put VLC on a BB10 device. What's wrong with the default player? If you have to use Star Player (in BBW) or get KalemSoft media player from: KalemSoft - Store which you have to pay for (used to be in BBW).
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    09-05-19 06:56 PM
    I wouldn't put VLC on a BB10 device. What's wrong with the default player? If you have to use Star Player (in BBW) or get KalemSoft media player from: KalemSoft - Store which you have to pay for (used to be in BBW).
    First, I wanted to say super thanks for all the info you posted. As for VLC, it's just because it's capable of playing everything, nearly every codec you can imagine(.ogg, opus, etc.), I haven't tested the default player's capabilities but I just assumed it wasn't nearly as extensive as VLC.

I'm guessing VLC doesn't run well on a BB10 device? (overheating issues?/laggy?)
    09-06-19 02:18 PM
    First, I wanted to say super thanks for all the info you posted. As for VLC, it's just because it's capable of playing everything, nearly every codec you can imagine(.ogg, opus, etc.), I haven't tested the default player's capabilities but I just assumed it wasn't nearly as extensive as VLC.

I'm guessing VLC doesn't run well on a BB10 device? (overheating issues?/laggy?)
    If you come across a file that the native Videos or Star player cannot play, then check into Kalemsoft Media Player. I have yet to find a file that it won't play. And yes, VLC is not that great on a BB10 device and the fewer android apps on your device, the better, especially if you don't have a Passport. I think you would be hard-pressed to find anyone here on CB that uses VLC on a BB10 device. I have tried it just out of curiosity and rejected it simply because it's not required. One of the absolute best apps on my Passport and Z10 is Kalemsoft. Unfortunately it was a paid app and therefore is no longer available for you through BBW. You can still get it at the above link though.
    09-06-19 02:45 PM
    If you come across a file that the native Videos or Star player cannot play, then check into Kalemsoft Media Player. I have yet to find a file that it won't play. And yes, VLC is not that great on a BB10 device and the fewer android apps on your device, the better, especially if you don't have a Passport. I think you would be hard-pressed to find anyone here on CB that uses VLC on a BB10 device. I have tried it just out of curiosity and rejected it simply because it's not required. One of the absolute best apps on my Passport and Z10 is Kalemsoft. Unfortunately it was a paid app and therefore is no longer available for you through BBW. You can still get it at the above link though.
    Ah I see, gotcha, thanks. I have both fdroid and yalp(fork) on the device now. Something funny though is how it requests access to pictures, media files, music, remote storage files, etc. While fdroid requires location in addition to all access of files. Is this normal?
    Last edited by BBlegacy; 09-06-19 at 03:16 PM.
    09-06-19 03:00 PM
    Ah I see, gotcha, thanks. I have both fdroid and yalp(fork) on the device now. Something funny though is how it requests access to pictures, media files, music, remote storage files, etc. While fdroid requires location in addition to all access of files. Is this normal?
    Yes, completely normal.
    09-06-19 03:25 PM
    Thanks brookie229 for all your posts. I spent some time playing around with apps yesterday. Saw how some apps would not work and some apps worked fine but was a bit laggy and other apps just made the phone really hot.

I can see why many would deter from using Android apps if possible. The biggest annoyance for me personally is how Android apps invade privacy without the option to opt out.

Is it possible to "sideload" Blackberry native apps(yes I know Blackberry World still works..)? Is there a repository for those?
    09-07-19 02:21 PM
    Thanks brookie229 for all your posts. I spent some time playing around with apps yesterday. Saw how some apps would not work and some apps worked fine but was a bit laggy and other apps just made the phone really hot.

I can see why many would deter from using Android apps if possible. The biggest annoyance for me personally is how Android apps invade privacy without the option to opt out.

Is it possible to "sideload" Blackberry native apps(yes I know Blackberry World still works..)? Is there a repository for those?
    It is possible to sideload native (bar) files with computer programs (one is Sachesi and the other is DDBT) both of which can be found with a simple search. The problem is that the native apps are only available through the BBW app store unless you can get the .bar from the developer. As of now only a few devs will do this. A couple of individuals are attempting to get some sort of repository for these apps but nothing concrete has happened and may never happen.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-19 02:55 PM
    It is possible to sideload native (bar) files with computer programs (one is Sachesi and the other is DDBT) both of which can be found with a simple search. The problem is that the native apps are only available through the BBW app store unless you can get the .bar from the developer. As of now only a few devs will do this. A couple of individuals are attempting to get some sort of repository for these apps but nothing concrete has happened and may never happen.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks again brookie229, that answers a whole lot. I often see "Sachesi" being talked about here on the forum, but wasn't sure about it's distinction. That would be awesome if the community got together to have a repository for trusted .bar files to continue Blackberry's legacy.
    09-09-19 11:45 AM
    Thanks again brookie229, that answers a whole lot. I often see "Sachesi" being talked about here on the forum, but wasn't sure about it's distinction. That would be awesome if the community got together to have a repository for trusted .bar files to continue Blackberry's legacy.
    Hey BBlegacy,

First, welcome to Blackberry 10! It's a great OS and very smooth even today for many use cases.

Second, as far as trusted app stores: I would suggest looking through Blackberry World for native apps that serve your needs, as they tend to run much more smoothly than Android apps. A few to start you off:

eBooks: playePub eBook Reader. Very solid, supports tons of formats.

Link: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ode=US&lang=en

Podcasts: bPod Podcast Manager. Extremely fluid and responsive.

Link: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=US

Media Player: I highly recommend Kalemsoft as well, but Neutron Media Player is another option. You'll have to sideload this one; let me know if you'd like a how-to on doing that.

Link: https://mega.nz/#!A5IlBYgB!HHJG_OKXz...tMVyf-pmnhU96w

Let us know if you need anything else! Odds are we can get it sorted.
    09-09-19 09:24 PM
    Hey BBlegacy,

First, welcome to Blackberry 10! It's a great OS and very smooth even today for many use cases.

Second, as far as trusted app stores: I would suggest looking through Blackberry World for native apps that serve your needs, as they tend to run much more smoothly than Android apps. A few to start you off:

Media Player: I highly recommend Kalemsoft as well, but Neutron Media Player is another option. You'll have to sideload this one; let me know if you'd like a how-to on doing that.

Isn’t BBW really made up of small number of native BB10 and larger number of Android ports? I remember there used to be a distinction with a symbol or logo to differentiate within BBW listings.
    09-10-19 07:28 AM
    Isn’t BBW really made up of small number of native BB10 and larger number of Android ports? I remember there used to be a distinction with a symbol or logo to differentiate within BBW listings.
    Yes, but, like all app stores, 99% of the apps are useless crap for most people. Back when.i used apps from BBW, I mostly used the "Built for BB10" apps. Certainly there were a lot of Android ports, but most of those that used APIs are dysfunctional now.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-10-19 09:09 AM
    Hey BBlegacy,

Thanks TrumpetTiger, your post helped a lot, especially mentioning Neutron player!

I agree, BB OS 10 is great, very fluid and responsive with native apps, they're great phones.
    09-10-19 05:12 PM
    Thanks TrumpetTiger, your post helped a lot, especially mentioning Neutron player!

I agree, BB OS 10 is great, very fluid and responsive with native apps, they're great phones.
    You're quite welcome BBlegacy! Just let me know if you need any other app thoughts or BB10 assistance in general.
    09-10-19 06:05 PM
    On the contrary, while there are certainly some Android ports and arguably "junk" apps, there are a great many native apps that are pretty awesome.

You may be thinking of the "Built For Blackberry" logo, which indeed indicates quality apps that Blackberry Limited themselves agree are particularly fluid and smooth, but there are many native apps that were built before that qualification or otherwise just did not apply for it that are quite solid.
    09-10-19 06:06 PM
    On the contrary, while there are certainly some Android ports and arguably "junk" apps, there are a great many native apps that are pretty awesome.

You may be thinking of the "Built For Blackberry" logo, which indeed indicates quality apps that Blackberry Limited themselves agree are particularly fluid and smooth, but there are many native apps that were built before that qualification or otherwise just did not apply for it that are quite solid.
    The native or Built for BB10 was the initial development phase gold standard designation to reward developers for their effort. The Android ports were some kind of compromise when BB was in desperate need of BB10 ecosystem and port-o-thon contests. I remember some company porting over ridiculous number of Android version apps that were sheer manipulation of the contest.

Sometime after that and the introduction of the Amazon store apps
    the BBW native distinction went away.

How would one distinguish native or port at this point?
    09-10-19 06:14 PM
65 123