Hi everyone, I'm not really new here, just newly registered. Currently I am not a BB user but I used to have a Bold 9700 before switching to android. I currently have an HTC ONE M7 and in order to get through a day, I have to switch WIFI off when not in use (to stop it hunting for a signal) , screen brightness to 50% or even 25 at times, GPS off and sync (besides Facebook and Gmail) turned off. My phone is off the charger by 5-6am and by 10-1030pm I am at 14%. I know this is laughable by blackberry means but I'm currently the envy of iPhone users in around, lol.

My question is about the battery life being 25-30 hours for passport. Are you guys switching off data /WiFi when not needed and other tricks, or is that without using any battery saving techniques?

I will be a passport owner around January, and very excited about my return to BB. I think the phone is amazing, and the OS is leaps and bounds over what OS6 and 7 were.
    divakar likes this.
    11-17-14 07:19 AM
    Well I can tell you my experience with my Q5. I never switch off data services or location services or sync or anything. Brightness is at minimum (it's enough for me) I switch on Wifi only when I use it since I don't use it that often. Easily get 14-16 hours. Obviously it will vary as per use.

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    divakar likes this.
    11-17-14 07:24 AM
    My passport battery is comparable to yours now. My brightness is all the way down, WiFi off, but I have 4 email accounts and facebook syncing on. Plus twitter running all the time. I'm sure if I knock down the sync times and quit twitter when not in use I'd get better battery life, but need my email sync on.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    divakar likes this.
    11-17-14 07:25 AM
    I have 3 push email accounts and leave wifi on all day. When I am outside wifi, I switch data on. Bluetooth on in the car, or when I need it. Brightness is around 50% - doesn't need to be any brighter. Off the charger around 6 ish and when I get home from work, the pp is still between 75-80%.

An evening of browsing/game playing brings it down to about 30%. I need to sleep, so I basically can't flatten this thing

It is an awesome battery.

Posted via CB10
    divakar likes this.
    11-17-14 07:30 AM
    Is there a headless app that allows you to customize profiles? For example, I want wifi to automatically turn off during the hours I'm at work.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 07:33 AM
    I fully admit I'm not what might be called a "power user" but I do use the phone a great deal throughout the day. I never turn anything off and after a particularly heavier use day (including playing the sound track of Frozen for my grandkids) my battery reads 50% or better. I take my phone off its charger between 6:30 am and 7:00 am. I think the battery is awesome!

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    divakar likes this.
    11-17-14 07:35 AM
    I keep brightness at about 75%, with the slider just past the 's' in "settings". I keep WiFi on most of the time, since I have WiFi at home and at work, and at the gym, but I turn it off as a matter of common sense if I'm going to be away from those places most of the day. Then again, even then I often forget to turn it off.

I generally turn GPS off when I don't need it, but it really doesn't matter. One of the nice things about BlackBerry is that it shows you when the GPS radio is in use -- a little icon comes on in the status bar. You'll see that when you're not using it, it stays off most of the time. As with WiFi, there are times when I forget to turn it off, and there's no noticeable change in battery life.

Obviously, there are certain kinds of uses of the phone that chew up the battery, such as extended video watching or navigation. That's to be expected. But without being overly careful, I get 20 hours easily.
    divakar likes this.
    11-17-14 07:38 AM
    Here is the last 48 hours. Off the charger by about 6am, email, calls, browsing at work. Get home, playstation games (retroarch), browser, videos. Dinner, then streaming TV from my pvr, more games and browsing. I used to use a laptop - not anymore.

Ps I don't do this every night I do have a life, but sometimes I just have a quiet night and browse/play while my wife watches telly. Bottom line is you don't have to worry about battery life.

Question to those who try to extend battery life-img_20141117_234027.png

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 07:47 AM
    Forgot to add that even at full tilt, the system says 4 hours from 38%. So maximum usage would give about 10 hours. In other words, I could play games and/or surf the net/ watch videos for at least 10 hours straight!

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 07:50 AM
    OK, I switch consequently off what I don't need. wifi, Bluethooth, NFC, BB Link, GPS, diagnostic messages are normally off. And I close the cellular data connection over night. Normally I get 3.5 days with this.
    RexdaleNap likes this.
    11-17-14 07:57 AM
    Sounds great everyone. I really try to conserve battery life as best I can, so I'm just trying to gauge if I can go a day and a half on a charge, and I suspect I'll be able to with no trouble. I've gotten used to manually updating things instead of having the convenience of syncing accounts, etc. Oh the horrors of these all touch smartphones and their dismal battery life. I'll continue browsing these forums for answers to various things, and I look forward to contributing when I actually have a BB again.
    RexdaleNap likes this.
    11-17-14 07:57 AM
    My battery typically goes 22hrs

5 email accounts -- 1 is getting emails all day, the others not so much
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Linkedin

Bluetooth always on
    Wifi always on -- and almost always connected (home, work)
    Screen at 75%

I mostly just browse the web, fb, instagram, twitter. Watch the odd video on YouTube. I am making a ton of phone calls though, email, txt.

Battery is amazing. Off the charger at 6:30 and when I plug in around 0:30 I've still got some juice left.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 08:45 AM
    Do you guys (and gals) wait for your battery to reach 0 before you charge?

"May I see your Passport please?"
    11-17-14 09:28 AM
    Is there a headless app that allows you to customize profiles? For example, I want wifi to automatically turn off during the hours I'm at work.

Posted via CB10
    Some people use an NFC sticker to do this for them. I don't know if there is an app, but you don't actually need one if you use an NFC sticker.
    SoCalRedbird likes this.
    11-17-14 09:34 AM
    Another thing that makes a huge difference to battery life is turning off LTE. Obviously, if you consume a lot of media or do a ton of browsing, this may not be an option but for me personally, the difference isn't huge.
    11-17-14 10:09 AM
    Hi everyone, I'm not really new here, just newly registered. Currently I am not a BB user but I used to have a Bold 9700 before switching to android. I currently have an HTC ONE M7 and in order to get through a day, I have to switch WIFI off when not in use (to stop it hunting for a signal) , screen brightness to 50% or even 25 at times, GPS off and sync (besides Facebook and Gmail) turned off. My phone is off the charger by 5-6am and by 10-1030pm I am at 14%. I know this is laughable by blackberry means but I'm currently the envy of iPhone users in around, lol.

My question is about the battery life being 25-30 hours for passport. Are you guys switching off data /WiFi when not needed and other tricks, or is that without using any battery saving techniques?

I will be a passport owner around January, and very excited about my return to BB. I think the phone is amazing, and the OS is leaps and bounds over what OS6 and 7 were.
    NO none of that is necessary!!! After a days usage of having Bluetooth turned on, wifi turned on, and location turned on and all of the push email and apps Im averaging 50-55% battery remaining by about bedtime. But what really helps and will dramatically improve battery life is reducing the brightness of the screen. Just custom set it to the most comfortable darker setting.
    Last edited by cellphonejunkey; 11-17-14 at 06:31 PM.
    11-17-14 10:17 AM
    This.
    You don't need to turn off things. They don't consume any battery when not used. This is common misconception here.
    Someone started this switching off story couple of years ago and then people just keep repeating the same stuff without using their brains.
    I've been measuring every possible setting for an impact to battery life. I mean proper measurements with number of Watts consumed by the battery.
    You can leave Wifi on all the time. GPS leave on. Active frames left opened mostly have no impact. BB link doesn't matter for battery life. Diagnostic info when I had it on for a week didn't consume any power. I'm in Europe though so that could be different if you're in US or Canada. BB protect on - zero impact. Exchange Active sync email -on all time- no impact.
    Now NFC uses juice even when idle. I never checked bluetooth as never use it.
    Last edited by wojt7; 11-17-14 at 04:52 PM.
    11-17-14 10:41 AM
    A few things give me amazing battery life.

Email - sync once an hour
    Location services - disabled
    Brightness - 30% (a habit. as was on all the smartphones I've ever owned)
    NFC - disabled
    CB10 app - notifications disabled, no sync
    Twitter - no sync
    WiFi on the other hand I don't usually turn off, depends on the percentage my battery is running off of. Same goes for bluetooth.

People here know I'm on the forums a lot. Here's my battery usage SINCE LAST CHARGE

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    Attachment 315069
    chinmay007 likes this.
    11-17-14 10:45 AM
    This.
    You don't need to turn off things. They don't consume any battery when not used. This is common misconception here.
    Whilst theoretically correct (no battery when they are not used), that is incorrect for normal use. Leaving data on and going into a poor reception area will continually attempt to connect which in turn uses a lot of power. Bluetooth and wifi also aren't dormant when not being used. You absolutely will get better battery life by turning off some features (I used a Z10 before the PP - was a master at this). The thing is that the PP has enough juice to not really bother. If you want impressive times like 3.5 days (muellerto) then you have to conserve battery life. If you are like me and recharge every day, then use what you want - you shouldn't be able to break the battery in a day.

To answer pixstar, you don't need to let the battery get to 0 - in fact Lithium batteries don't have a memory effect as NiCd did. If you ever let a lithuim battery completely discharge, it is dead - can't be revived. In fact, to dispose, you normally put it in a bucket of salt water. When it stops bubbling it is dead, and can be thrown out safely.
    11-17-14 05:24 PM
    Been getting 15 hours average for the past three weeks.

WIFI always on
    LTE always on
    Bletooth always on and paired to my Pebble Steel.
    NFC off.
    GPS always on.
    Hotpot on for ave of 30 mins per day.
    3 email accounts - 2 on push and 1 sync every 30 mins.
    I get ave of 200 emails per day on all three accounts.
    Viber always on.
    Yahoo Messenger on.
    BBM on.
    Facebook syncing in Hub.
    Twitter syncing.
    Foursquare syncing.
    Contacts sync but every 24 hours.
    Schedule syncs but every 6 hours.
    Blend I use sporadically.
    Games, I play one hour per day.
    Video streaming (when there's an NBA game of my team)

I was satisfied with my battery life, but then I did a hard reset just to be sure.

Past two days battery life has been 22-24 hours. My problem is when I sleep at night my battery is still above 20% ( around 35-40%). So I don't want to recharge unless it hits 20%. I also don't want to let it drain all the way down to zero. Eventually, I'll figure out a routine for charging.

On hindsight, I didn't watch NBA the past two days. Maybe that contributed to the increased battery life the past two days.

The point is, you can comfortable use the phone the whole day and charge at night without turning anything off. That's already a big plus for me coming from an iphone5s which I had to charge twice within the day using a power pack. Either that or turn everything off, which defeats the purpose of these features especially if you are using them.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 06:10 PM
    It's not good idea to reach battery 0%, it may create major problem sometime. Many users have reported dead device particularly z30, not booting up after it had gone 0% battery. Be careful.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 06:21 PM
    Whilst theoretically correct (no battery when they are not used), that is incorrect for normal use. Leaving data on and going into a poor reception area will continually attempt to connect which in turn uses a lot of power.
    Correct. That's why I don't say anything about leaving data on as it could be a big hit to battery.
    However being in poor reception area isn't what I would call a normal use anyway. In normal use with normal signal strength I have both Wifi and data on. The phone uses data plan when travelling and Wifi when in office or at home. The IDLE power drain in both cases is minimal.
    I could probably squeeze out an hour or two more of battery life when both set to off but then what's the point of having a phone. I get 36-40 hrs comfortably. 2 hrs more will not save me, but technically you are correct it will reduce power drain even more.
    Last edited by wojt7; 11-17-14 at 09:09 PM.
    11-17-14 08:47 PM
    Again, thanks everyone. Appreciate all the info. I've been following the development of the passport since Windermere was a rumour, and now that the phone's out and user reviews have been great, I just can't wait till I get one for myself. Damn the holiday season, or I'd have one right now. Anyway, congrats to all who's bought one, I'll be among you shortly.
    11-17-14 09:34 PM
    This. You don't need to turn off things. They don't consume any battery when not used.
    This is not my opinion. If you have wifi always on it will try to find a wifi network all the time, especially if it can't connect to one. And probably it will find several networks, you are mostly surrounded by wifi networks. And if it finds networks it starts to communicate with them, probably not much because they are closed, but a bit, all the day long. Surely this will cost energy. Active Frames are another topic. I found several headless apps showing a significant difference in energy consumption between having their Active Frame open or not. - After all I would never say "You don't need to turn off things." This is much too simple. You have to proof everything.
    11-18-14 02:06 AM
    Yep. I proved it to myself and am sharing here. Nobody have to agree. Everybody is welcome to check out things for themselves. Just install Basa and be consistent with your measurements.
    As I said in the second post if you want to shave off 1-2 hours more off your 40 hrs plus of battery life feel free to turn Wifi and data off. Then ask yourself what did you buy a smartphone for. For me it is insignificant saving.
    As per active frames as I said before most the apps will not use energy when open but there could be ones that will no doubt.
    My active frames always opened are as follows and they don't cause any drain:
    1. Basa
    2. Remember
    3. Enpass
    4. Phone app
    5. Camera
    6. Calendar
    7. Whatsup
    Last edited by wojt7; 11-18-14 at 03:53 AM.
    11-18-14 03:38 AM
32 12