I'm a former BB user who switched to Windows Phone a few years back, and now considering coming back to Blackberry.

Why?

I really really really miss the physical keyboard. I don't want Android, so I'm not interested in the Priv, but the Passport (Silver Edition) intrigues me. Other than using my phone as a phone (I know, it's a novel concept), I mostly use my phone for email, some light Excel and Word viewing and editing, and general browsing. A few years of on screen keyboards has really taken it's toll on me. Additionally, the extra screen real estate (and the keyboard not taking up half of it) would be a big plus.

I don't use a lot of apps, and have already checked and found ones that would work for most of what I need EXCEPT Audible. I listen to audio books from Audible daily, and not having a decent Audible app may be a deal breaker. I understand you can install the android version, but in searching the forums, I have found several posts indicating that the Audible app stopped working. Can someone confirm that Audible currently works on the Passport Silver Edition?
    11-08-15 07:49 PM
    Someone asked me about Audible for Android last weekend (I've almost convinced him to get a Passport) because he wants to be able to listen to Audible content in his car (he has already bought a lot of official Audible books from Amazon) ....

We searched on the Amazon App Store for 'Audible', 'Audible for Android', 'Audible Inc', and multiple Apps were returned by the searches, but I wasn't able to verify which App was actually the official one.... Therefore I didn't install any on my Passport (I've got the original Passport, not the SE, but assume that they will work exactly the same).

I DO have some mp3's of non-Audible audio-books on my Passport, so we sat in the kitchen and listened to some 'Eagle of the Ninth' and 'James Bond' - we then sat in his car, and confirmed that the audio played ok his car stereo too (eg Passport Bluetooth -> car stereo).

IF someone can confirm to me which is the official App for 'Audible for Android' then I am happy to test it out on my Passport.

PS Just get a Passport, it's fantastic, and you no longer need to carry an accompanying tablet/laptop to check out spreadsheets and other documents on the go..... (I'm probably more than a little biased!).
    11-08-15 09:05 PM
    How strange, Audible is an Amazon company but I can't find the app in the Amazon app store.

I just installed the Audible app from the Google Play Store and it seems to work fine. I don't have an account or anything so I can't test, but everything loads.

Question from one considering a passport (se).-img_20151108_222138.png

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2474 // Cricket Wireless
    11-08-15 11:21 PM
    11-09-15 12:04 PM
    I just want to chime in regarding the keyboard on the Passport. It's the main reason I got the Passport.
    The keyboard is very good. I also use the keyboard for scroll up down and left right. I also used the keyboard to edit text. Double tap on it to bring up the cursor bubble, then swipe left or write to move the cursor. OR hold down the up (shift) arrow then swipe left or right to select text.
    The screen is very good. When set the brightness to zero (move the slider all the way to the left), the Passport screen is brighter than the Priv. **I have my Passport brightness set all the way to the left to prolong the battery life.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    11-09-15 12:53 PM
    Also, USB on the go works, when connected directly or through a cable, with the Passport.
    the Passport also supports FM radio so you can listen with a plug-in headset.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    11-09-15 12:56 PM
    Thank you all. I think I'll pick one up and try the app Lauriecad posted. I supposed if that one doesn't work, I can leave my old phone in the car to use as an Audible player.

Off to find a deal on a Passport.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    11-09-15 12:58 PM
    Thank you all. I think I'll pick one up....

Off to find a deal on a Passport.
    Good choice!
    11-09-15 01:00 PM
    I also chime in to recommend you to get one... I don't use my passport to listen podcats etc but for the other things you mention I think this device will suit your needs right on spot... and, as you, the reason I got a passport was to type on a pkb again and man, this pkb is very very good... especially the SE which is softer than the OG black, which I also have... not very different but softer... anyway, good luck!

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 01:12 PM
    I also chime in to recommend you to get one... I don't use my passport to listen podcats etc but for the other things you mention I think this device will suit your needs right on spot... and, as you, the reason I got a passport was to type on a pkb again and man, this pkb is very very good... especially the SE which is softer than the OG black, which I also have... not very different but softer... anyway, good luck!

Posted via CB10
    I beg time differ, the keyboard is not good, it is simply THAT good, period The more I use it the more I want to type, swipe to scroll, edit, select, delete, do all those things that the capacitive pkb invites me to do. The team at  that invented these mind blowing features deserve a serious pay raise. I have rather small hands but phone size has never been an issue.

From Canada with love.

Sent from the pure awesomeness of my  Passport SE
    11-09-15 07:21 PM
    I just recently restored my z30 and hadn't downloaded audible again. I did a search and it wasn't there, but I was able to download it from the cloud as I've had it before. I've logged in and it's working ok. If you can't download it via the phone, do it directly from the Amazon store. As long as it is in the cloud as an app you own, you should be able to get to it.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 07:35 PM
    I read this earlier today on BBM Channels.

http://utbblogs.com/audible-anonymous/

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    11-09-15 07:50 PM
    If you have a lot of audiobooks, I can recommend running them through a DRM stripper (dependent on OS) and then using the Android Listen Audiobook player - works perfectly on my Q10 and passport SE
    11-09-15 08:41 PM
    Audible works well on my Passport I downloaded it from the Google Play Store via Snap. I use it all the time with no issues.

Also the Passport SE keyboard is amazing. Loving using this phone on a daily basis.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 09:14 PM
    My Passport SE arrived today. Haven't had much time to do much oth than set up email as m work account was giving me fits, but I already love it. I'll try to get Audible on it tomorrow and report back.
    moody likes this.
    11-17-15 10:09 PM
    Right now I installed from Google store by Snap because I didn't find it in Amazon store...I'm testing and works very well!

Question from one considering a passport (se).-img_20151117_222619.png

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 10:31 PM
    Got Audible installed and running (seemingly) well using the link Lauriecad posted in post #4. Took only about 3 minutes.
    11-18-15 06:05 AM
    Edges are sharp, and it�s a bit heavy. But solid yes, and a looker. People keep on asking me what it is.

Posted via CB10
    moody likes this.
    11-18-15 06:59 AM
    I'm a former BB user who switched to Windows Phone a few years back, and now considering coming back to Blackberry.

Why?

I really really really miss the physical keyboard. I don't want Android, so I'm not interested in the Priv, but the Passport (Silver Edition) intrigues me. Other than using my phone as a phone (I know, it's a novel concept), I mostly use my phone for email, some light Excel and Word viewing and editing, and general browsing. A few years of on screen keyboards has really taken it's toll on me. Additionally, the extra screen real estate (and the keyboard not taking up half of it) would be a big plus.

I don't use a lot of apps, and have already checked and found ones that would work for most of what I need EXCEPT Audible. I listen to audio books from Audible daily, and not having a decent Audible app may be a deal breaker. I understand you can install the android version, but in searching the forums, I have found several posts indicating that the Audible app stopped working. Can someone confirm that Audible currently works on the Passport Silver Edition?
    How long will Blackberry support BB10? 1 OR 2 YEARS? I belive development has stopped and only updates will be issued. Dying O.S. I wanted to get the Passport but passed because of BB new direction and OS losing support.
    11-18-15 09:35 PM
    How long will Blackberry support BB10? 1 OR 2 YEARS? I belive development has stopped and only updates will be issued. Dying O.S. I wanted to get the Passport but passed because of BB new direction and OS losing support.
    Perhaps, but I loathe ios and dislike Android. The only other option is Windows Phone which seems to be dying as well. AND as mentioned in the post you quoted, I wanted a physical keyboard again. What other option is there.

For the record, I am really enjoying the passport in my second day of ownership.
    moody likes this.
    11-18-15 09:57 PM
    I absolutely love my Passport and I believe BlackBerry will continue to support the OS, keeping it updated and functional. Though I don't anticipate any new OS's I'm ok w/ that as long as what I have works.
    Jay Wright2 likes this.
    11-18-15 10:39 PM
    Perhaps, but I loathe ios and dislike Android. The only other option is Windows Phone which seems to be dying as well. AND as mentioned in the post you quoted, I wanted a physical keyboard again. What other option is there.

For the record, I am really enjoying the passport in my second day of ownership.
    Enjoy the PP. Just saying...you will have to move on one day.
    11-19-15 07:31 AM
    Enjoy the PP. Just saying...you will have to move on one day.
    If it's in two years that's the average life span of a phone anyway. No big loss. That's why I'm keeping my current Z10.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 06:21 PM
    Yep, and if BB is full Android then I'll look elsewhere for something that suits me. I'll cross that bridge in a few years if I have to.
    11-19-15 06:26 PM
    Hi bpgui

Well I got my Passport a couple of days ago, too, having decided that I am not yet ready for Android. As long as the phone continues to work, I shall enjoy BB10 and all those APK files that can load as many apps as I need – and more!
    moody and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    11-20-15 12:12 PM
26 12