Hi everyone,

Out of interest for the platform and because I liked the look of it, I purchased a second-hand Blackberry Passport SE last week.

The device was wiped by the previous owner, and so the first time I turned it on it asked what language I wanted to use, the SIM code, and those sorts of things. Then -- you guessed it -- it asked for a Blackberry ID username and password. I am unable to get past this. Apparently the previous owner had activated the anti-theft protection feature and the Blackberry tells me to "Please sign in with the Blackberry ID that was used to set up this device".

Now, this shouldn't be a problem, because he kindly gave me his username, password, and security question. However, these are not accepted on the device. Mind you, they do work on the BB website, but not on the phone itself.

I'm worried now; I do hope I don't have a brickberry in my hands. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    Jeroen
    11-15-17 09:32 AM
    Hi everyone,

Out of interest for the platform and because I liked the look of it, I purchased a second-hand Blackberry Passport SE last week.

The device was wiped by the previous owner, and so the first time I turned it on it asked what language I wanted to use, the SIM code, and those sorts of things. Then -- you guessed it -- it asked for a Blackberry ID username and password. I am unable to get past this. Apparently the previous owner had activated the anti-theft protection feature and the Blackberry tells me to "Please sign in with the Blackberry ID that was used to set up this device".

Now, this shouldn't be a problem, because he kindly gave me his username, password, and security question. However, these are not accepted on the device. Mind you, they do work on the BB website, but not on the phone itself.

I'm worried now; I do hope I don't have a brickberry in my hands. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    Jeroen
    If you can return it, do so. Someone suggested it might be a stolen/lost device. Good luck.
    11-15-17 08:51 PM
    Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance
    Jeroen
    The device is using another BBID, OR the original BBID was deleted online and a new one was created using the identical credentials. Even if the latter, BlackBerry deems them not the same - which is worse because the original one you need no longer exists.

So either way, (I hate to say it) enjoy your new paperweight.
    11-15-17 09:30 PM
    Send it back this is not your problem.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    B1aize likes this.
    11-16-17 12:03 PM
    Try going online on the blackberry ID theft protection website and login using his credentials, then it should show that there is that PassPort as a protected device, so remove it. Then wait a few mins, and try to log in again with same credentials, eventually it should let you in. Once you're in, go to settings and disable the anti theft, it will ask for the credentials again of course. Once that's done, factory wipe the device but on the last screen make sure it doesnt say "anti theft protection on" , it should only have the main data loss warning with yellow triangle. If it's the case, wipe it and enjoy your new phone

I just had that happen to me on a used Classic I received yesterday
    11-21-17 01:20 AM
    OP..
    Go online and input all the info the seller gave you then change password online or change password and reuse same password.
    I have been saying this for a few weeks now....something going on with BB id password.
    11-21-17 10:04 AM