Hi,

the proximity-sensor on my blackberry passport is driving me mad.

When i initiate a call and hold the device next to my ear, the screen goes dark, everything is fine.
    But as soon as the other party picks up, the screen gets bright again and i press various keys with my cheek.

So stupid, in more than 50%, the active call is put on hold and a new number is dialed.
    Anyone else with these symptoms?
    02-18-15 08:00 AM
    No, what OS are you running? Have you tried the BlackBerry app that tests sensors? Sorry forgotten the name of it

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 08:46 AM
    No, what OS are you running? Have you tried the BlackBerry app that tests sensors? Sorry forgotten the name of it

Posted via CB10
    BBVE aka BlackBerry Virtual Expert

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 09:01 AM
    I run 10.3.0.14xx (the latest official one) and yes, BBVE telle me the sensors are fine.

If i test it during a phone call, it is truly working, only Problem is when the other side accepts the call.
    02-18-15 09:02 AM
    Check your advanced interactions settings
    They mess things up most of the time. Turn them all off and test proximity again.
    02-18-15 09:04 AM
    Hi,

checked the advanced interactions Settings - they were turned off.

Any more hints?
    02-18-15 09:23 AM
    FYI: BBVE and the phone app does not use same values for proximity sensor. BlackBerry is aware of it and might change the values used in BBVE.

I doubt it is a sensor issue as it happens when the other party answers the call. More likely a software issue.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 09:56 AM
    Yes I have the same symptoms. They are rare but annoying.
    Z30, 10.2.1.3062

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 10:07 AM
    mine happen from time to time when the proximity sensor goes crazy... and when that happen my keyboard light won't light up in dark places making me typing almost impossible. I've tried reset by holding the up and down volume, which actually solve the issue for a while but will come back after sometime. I've been resetting like once or twice everyday.

I've sent my passport back to the service center and now waiting for them to come back.
    06-07-15 09:36 PM
    After re-installing the official OS and the problem still exist, it is more likely a hardware related problem...

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 11:28 PM
    that or you should remove your screen protector
    06-08-15 01:00 AM
    Ditto for me with the proximity sensor and light sensor. Also, when I hard reboot, it goes into a reboot loop until I let go of the volume rockers.

Passport/Z30-5 10.3.2.798, Z10-3 10.3.2.158
    06-08-15 04:16 AM
    Dear all those who have a problem with proximity sensor: Please learn to live with it. At times it appears to be a hardware issue and at times you can attribute it to some software issue. I have accepted the problem and that I am now careful when speaking to others. I keep the phone slightly away from my ear and also keep a watch over it. I have now learnt to live with it and am being careful whenever is dial up a call.

Posted via CB10
    Larry Harper likes this.
    06-08-15 05:16 AM
    Ditto for me with the proximity sensor and light sensor. Also, when I hard reboot, it goes into a reboot loop until I let go of the volume rockers.

You only need to hold the volume rockers until the screen goes black in order to do a hard reset. No need to hold them any longer than that.

Posted via CB10
    Trauma Surgeon likes this.
    06-08-15 06:22 AM
    That is strange..... I never noticed it before. Probably explains after I hung up my phone being in some random place in the phone a couple of times ...

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 06:43 AM
    Hi,

the proximity-sensor on my blackberry passport is driving me mad.

When i initiate a call and hold the device next to my ear, the screen goes dark, everything is fine.
    But as soon as the other party picks up, the screen gets bright again and i press various keys with my cheek.

So stupid, in more than 50%, the active call is put on hold and a new number is dialed.
    Anyone else with these symptoms?
    Yes I had the same issue! I did a complete restore of my phone. After installing apps, I revoked access to the phone and so far I don't have the issue! I think it was definitely one of my android apps, not a hardware issue.
    06-08-15 10:29 AM

YES! Let go off the volume rocker switches!

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 10:58 AM
    You only need to hold the volume rockers until the screen goes black in order to do a hard reset. No need to hold them any longer than that.

Posted via CB10
    Ok. I remember reading that I have to hold them until the load screen starts. I guess not for the Passport. Thanks.

06-08-15 01:19 PM
    Dear all those who have a problem with proximity sensor: Please learn to live with it. At times it appears to be a hardware issue and at times you can attribute it to some software issue. I have accepted the problem and that I am now careful when speaking to others. I keep the phone slightly away from my ear and also keep a watch over it. I have now learnt to live with it and am being careful whenever is dial up a call.

Posted via CB10
    Oh really? Did you get yours for free? Deal with it? So, if you buy a new car and it stalls every 2 miles that you drive, you just deal with it and not try to fix it?

The Passport is a premium device. None of us should have to "deal with it." Except for you obviously. I have accepted that. Now let the rest of us try to figure out a fix. Can you "learnt" to live with that? SMH

06-08-15 01:23 PM
    I had this problem with my Q10 when I first got it. The proximity sensor never worked correctly when I was on a call.

Updating to a newer software fixed the problem for me.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    06-09-15 10:15 AM
    Oh really? Did you get yours for free? Deal with it? So, if you buy a new car and it stalls every 2 miles that you drive, you just deal with it and not try to fix it?

The Passport is a premium device. None of us should have to "deal with it." Except for you obviously. I have accepted that. Now let the rest of us try to figure out a fix. Can you "learnt" to live with that? SMH

Preach Brother! I didn't pay over $600 bucks for my AT&T Passport to 'Live' with some defect... Pardon my language, but? &@$ that!

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 10:40 AM
    My passport and my wifes have been doing this since day one. Very frustrating.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-08-15 11:59 PM
    Mine does this very rarely, and I never associated this problem with the other party picking up the call. I tend to mute the phone with my cheek. I will try to hold the phone away from my ear while it's dialing, and bring it to the ear only after the other party picks up.

I bet the screen activates when another call comes in during a conversation.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    08-09-15 12:12 AM