Hello fellow Crackberry friends,

I've been thinking about purchasing the Passport for a while due to the keyboard nostalgia (the design looks awesome too), and the shop.blackberry sale seems very tempting. I just had a few questions I was hoping fellow passport owners could answer :

- Shop Blackberry seems to have a 30 day return policy on the passport. How good is their customer service / accordance with this statement, should I need to return or exchange the device? Are the double typing / screen lifting issues common?

- I know there is a bit of elbow grease involved with getting certain apps and functionalities to work properly. What percent of android apps would most of you say would work at or close to native functionality (disregarding the obvious differences in screen ratios)?

- I realize snapchat is currently only viable through Caspar, however I do also heavily use Google Drive / Dropbox, Facebook / Facebook messenger, Instagram, Play Books, CamScanner (or any camera scanner application), Whatsapp, WeChat, MyfitnessPal, and a few NBA & NBA fantasy applications (#DUBNATION). Do most of the native android applications that I've listed run well?

- Not very big on games, but should the next Flappy Bird pandemic ensue how well do most of the android games transition on to Blackberrys / the Passport screen?

Thanks so much for the help and sorry for the long read!
    06-10-15 06:50 PM
    - Shop Blackberry seems to have a 30 day return policy on the passport. How good is their customer service / accordance with this statement, should I need to return or exchange the device? Are the double typing / screen lifting issues common?

- I know there is a bit of elbow grease involved with getting certain apps and functionalities to work properly. What percent of android apps would most of you say would work at or close to native functionality (disregarding the obvious differences in screen ratios)?

- I realize snapchat is currently only viable through Caspar, however I do also heavily use Google Drive / Dropbox, Facebook / Facebook messenger, Instagram, Play Books, CamScanner (or any camera scanner application), Whatsapp, WeChat, MyfitnessPal, and a few NBA & NBA fantasy applications (#DUBNATION). Do most of the native android applications that I've listed run well?

- Not very big on games, but should the next Flappy Bird pandemic ensue how well do most of the android games transition on to Blackberrys / the Passport screen?

Thanks so much for the help and sorry for the long read!
    Shop BlackBerry CS is a hit or miss, some would tell you is a bad joke, some would tell you it's great, I myself had mixed experiences with them going from the worst nightmare to the greatest experience.
    Re: screen lifting, I am on my 4th passport due to this issue since November, so make of that what you want.

Many of the apps you mention have native versions or 3rd party solutions, Google Drive is a no go unless you're willing to use a third party paid app.

Android apps work well overall is just the 1:1 ratio that confuses you for a minute or two, once you get used to it is not an issue, plus the passport gives you options to zoom in, out or use 16:9 aspect ratio for Android apps.
    laximus likes this.
    06-10-15 07:17 PM
    Buy from Amazon. Give the phone a good run. If like, keep. No like, return for full refund. Done deal.

BlackBerryaholic by choice.
    emanuel0ss0 and laximus like this.
    06-11-15 01:43 AM
    I've purchased a couple of phones from shopblackberry previously.
    The Z30s I ordered, I got the receipt then the shipping receipt, then an approximate date of arrival. But I never received a tracking code so had no idea where the parcel was.
    I never had any issues with my phones so I never had to talk to the Digital River Group. But I heard some horrible stories and some great stories about DR group.

I've had the Passport for only a week, and I have a few Android apps running with no issues.
    The BB10 release software come with Amazon appstore and BlackBerry proprietary app store. I also loaded 1Mobile appstore easily.

Post from my Passport or my Z30 or my Playbook
    laximus likes this.
    06-11-15 02:04 AM
    Thanks everyone. Sounds really promising!

Has anyone else had the screen lifting issue? I'm hoping i won't have to return it at all.
    06-11-15 03:00 AM
    Buy from Amazon. Give the phone a good run. If like, keep. No like, return for full refund. Done deal.

It's not really a full refund because there is a $153 restocking fee if you return the device.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 04:07 AM
    It's not really a full refund because there is a $153 restocking fee if you return the device.

Posted via CB10
    Never even heard of a restocking fee on anything from Amazon (USA). I've probably bought around 8 phones from them (BlackBerry's, Galaxy's,) and TONS of other stuff (car stereos, sound bars, shoes, tablets, etc, etc, etc) and never has there been a "restocking fee" for a return. Unless a "restocking fee" is exclusive to the BlackBerry Passport, it's new to me.

dmateo likes this.
    06-11-15 06:24 AM
    When I ordered my Passport, I got the confirmation emails and shipping detail emails, but they never charged my card (despite the email telling me they did). A week later, my Passport arrived and I had it for a further two days before they billed my card. I called BB the day my phone arrived and asked them about it, but I got two different Filipina women on the phone and they weren't helpful. They gave me different conflicting BS "answers" that didn't answer anything. That's been my only experience with BB Customer Service so far.

As for the quality of the phone, I've been fairly impressed. The keyboard is exceptionally stiff on the unlocked International model. I cannot overstate how difficult it is to use for the first few days. However, it appears from my personal experience and other users' notes that there is a break-in period, as the keys have become more pliable and better at accepting presses in the past few days. Keep that in mind when you order - you will likely hate the PKB for the first several days, but after that it will break in and become comfortable, like a new pair of kicks.

As for games, I was surprised to see that Words with Friends, which would seem to be perfect for the square screen, actually has issues on the Passport, no matter which screen size you select from the drop down. It is either too zoomed out with sidebars on the left and right at the default size, or it doesn't work at all on the other two options. It's serviceable, but it's a far cry from what I'm used to on 16:9 phones and tablets, and I don't know why.

I also loaded up the Iron Man 3 game so I could fly around as Shellhead. It's a decent game, visually, and I enjoyed it for a bit on the GF's iPad Mini 2. It's apparent though, like many games that start on iOS and get ported to Android that they dumbed down the visuals and didn't put a lot of focus on the finer details. Examples include low res textures, texture seams, shader differences. We saw this same BS in the Asphalt series, where the screenshots in the Play store were the iOS version and the Android version was very, very gimped. Overall, Iron Man 3 looks good, but it's not as good as the iOS version. One thing that gets me is that at the start of levels the game lags for about 2-3 seconds, but then it gets smooth. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the BlackBerry running the game or if it's yet another sign of a **** port. Given the overall drop in quality plus many instances of this in other big games, I suspect it's the latter.
    laximus likes this.
    06-11-15 12:51 PM
    Thanks for everyone who took the time to answer my questions! Will be joining the passport club very soon
    cbosdell likes this.
    06-12-15 01:00 AM
    Keyboard is a little stiff but opens up after a few days of use. I love the action of the keyboard, even if I was a diehard 4-row 9900/Q10 user!

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 06:24 AM
    In lieu of apps, consider also just making shortcuts if these are websites. The Passports browser does a nice job with this in most cases (unlike almost all other phones)
    06-12-15 07:54 AM
    Amazon is a safer bet if your on the fence and might return it.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 08:29 AM
    Amazon is a safer bet if your on the fence and might return it.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. I had to return my Passport due to a faulty Bluetooth. I called Amazon and my replacement phone was shipped that day going Next Day. Can't beat that for service.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport.
    06-12-15 08:45 AM
    Amazon's customer service is simply impressive.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 11:30 AM
    Never even heard of a restocking fee on anything from Amazon (USA). I've probably bought around 8 phones from them (BlackBerry's, Galaxy's,) and TONS of other stuff (car stereos, sound bars, shoes, tablets, etc, etc, etc) and never has there been a "restocking fee" for a return. Unless a "restocking fee" is exclusive to the BlackBerry Passport, it's new to me.

I've only ever returned one thing I've purchased over the years, a textbook, but I did have a restocking fee.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 12:19 PM
    I've only ever returned one thing I've purchased over the years, a textbook, but I did have a restocking fee.

Posted via CB10
    No restocking fee on my returned Passport.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport.
    06-12-15 12:25 PM