Does installing google play and all google services also mean google has access to all data store in the phone?

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 03:25 AM
    One negative thing - GP tries to enforce updates, so sometimes it just pops up when I don't want to do it.

Posted via CB10 from my Passport
    01-25-15 03:32 AM
    The Android runtime is decoupled from the rest of the OS. It never has full access to all data. But an app may request specific access to some certain data, as location. But Google can't monitor your device as it can do with genuine Android devices.
    Prem WatsApp and LoneStarRed like this.
    01-25-15 03:46 AM
    One negative thing - GP tries to enforce updates, so sometimes it just pops up when I don't want to do it.

Posted via CB10 from my Passport
    You can turn off auto update in the settings of Google Play store.

The app is great by the way, I still haven't tested in-app purchases. But if that would work then this app is one step closer to having full Android apps functionality.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 04:12 AM
    It does work, this is confirmed. I myself bought some in app content in Weather Pro and Miner.
    bBOLD723 likes this.
    01-25-15 04:36 AM
    The only negative at all with the Google Play Store is the impact on battery life. Android apps and ports from BlackBerry World are a Major drain.
    I have GP installed and there is no discernible effect on battery drain.
    01-25-15 05:15 AM
    in 10hrs I've used less than 1% it shows only 0.01%
    01-25-15 08:23 AM
    Con: You have 3 ugly icons that takes up your home screen, 2 are unusable after the initial set up.
    I included Play store in my Utilities Folder. I have a third screen where I put the unused stuff and Android app keys in one folder. I rarely go to that page, so it gets things out of sight most of the time.
    01-25-15 08:50 AM
    You can turn off auto update in the settings of Google Play store.

The app is great by the way, I still haven't tested in-app purchases. But if that would work then this app is one step closer to having full Android apps functionality.

Posted via CB10
    Yes it works! Tried it myself. Awesome.
    01-25-15 08:55 AM
    Well that's not a problem of the store. It just fetches the app. But just to be sure that updated apps work you should uninstall downloaded android apps from Blackberry world. They may have different signatures. Then download the pure android app from Google Play.
    What i am trying to say is:
    Suppose i have Chrome installed and if updated by just available version the latest version doesn't work.
    So one has to be bit cautious when updating applications. One possible reason is Android L compatibility.
    Any .APK file having L update seems not compatible with BB10.3 OS.
    01-25-15 09:05 AM
    I don't really see any cons to using Google Play over Snap. Snap is a Google Play client. Why use the fake thing when you can have the real? I guess us BB10 users have got used to everything 3rd party. If anything its more like an upgrade. If u don't like the icons, toss em in a folder.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    01-25-15 10:35 AM
    I don't really see any cons to using Google Play over Snap. Snap is a Google Play client. Why use the fake thing when you can have the real? I guess us BB10 users have got used to everything 3rd party. If anything its more like an upgrade. If u don't like the icons, toss em in a folder.

Posted via CB10
    It's not a fake. People prefer it because it's native meaning it's smoother, faster and uses less battery life.

Posted via CB10
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    01-25-15 11:01 AM
    Cobalt232, I usually do not ask for assistance with Android apps as I know very well my device is NOT an android. But, I use an app for Transit times here in Nova Scotia, the app is called Transit oddly enough " https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pp.droid&hl=en " and I have had to Lucky Patch it so that the Google Maps would display. When I use this Lucky Patched app with your files, ver1, 2 or 3, this app fails to launch at all saying Play Services died. If I remove the Play Services from Lucky Patch, the app complains that NO play services is installed and fails again. Do you know of any incompatibility between your Play Service and Lucky Patch Google service.

I would like to think that Play Services is Play Services, but from my results I have to conclude that is not the case.
    01-25-15 11:09 AM
    It's not a fake. People prefer it because it's native meaning it's smoother, faster and uses less battery life.

Posted via CB10
    Okay I'll give you that, It's native. Faster, smoother, less battery life; idk about all that. And it's fake. You can't deny that it's a 3rd party app for the play store. FYI I used snap for a while and it's a great client for downloading android apps. But having the official play store gives you even more access to things like paid apps.
    Pros and cons of sideloading Google Play store?-img_20150125_120657.png

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 11:11 AM
    Okay I'll give you that, It's native. Faster, smoother, less battery life; idk about all that. And it's fake. You can't deny that it's a 3rd party app for the play store. FYI I used snap for a while and it's a great client for downloading android apps. But having the official play store gives you even more access to things like paid apps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150125_120657.png 
Views:	930 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	329647

Posted via CB10
    You obviously don't understand what a third party app is. Let me explain. Think of Instagram (the android app) and Igrann (the 3rd party app on BlackBerry World) and also think of "app for Instagram" (the actual fake app).

So Igrann displays the same information as Instagram. It's a native app that doesn't use as much battery life as an android app (I'll explain that later in the post). This is a 3rd party app and NOT a fake app.

"App for Instagram" was an app on BlackBerry World that was removed a while ago. It did NOT display information from instagram, it was a Fake.

The difference is that Igrann does everything instagram does because it's using the info from instagram servers. App for instagram on the other hand is a fake app that steals your money.

----

Now the reason android apps use more battery life is because they're being sandboxed (for BlackBerry security reasons). That means that the app basically uses twice as much battery life because the app uses battery AND the sandboxing uses battery.

So android apps will always use around twice as much battery life over a native app (sometimes even more because if it does background checks, than the app will use battery life even after killed)

Posted via CB10
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    01-25-15 11:25 AM
    You obviously don't understand what a third party app is. Let me explain. Think of Instagram (the android app) and Igrann (the 3rd party app on BlackBerry World) and also think of "app for Instagram" (the actual fake app).

So Igrann displays the same information as Instagram. It's a native app that doesn't use as much battery life as an android app (I'll explain that later in the post). This is a 3rd party app and NOT a fake app.

"App for Instagram" was an app on BlackBerry World that was removed a while ago. It did NOT display information from instagram, it was a Fake.

The difference is that Igrann does everything instagram does because it's using the info from instagram servers. App for instagram on the other hand is a fake app that steals your money.

----

Now the reason android apps use more battery life is because they're being sandboxed (for BlackBerry security reasons). That means that the app basically uses twice as much battery life because the app uses battery AND the sandboxing uses battery.

So android apps will always use around twice as much battery life over a native app (sometimes even more because if it does background checks, than the app will use battery life even after killed)

Posted via CB10
    I fully understand what 3rd party means. But imitating someone or something regardless of how well your impersonation is is the definition of fake. But I'm done arguing over this. At the end of the day it's preference. I used snap for quite a while before cobalt's play store. Both work well, just one is the real deal with all the features and the other is native lacking some features.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 11:39 AM
    I fully understand what 3rd party means. But imitating someone or something regardless of how well your impersonation is is the definition of fake. But I'm done arguing over this. At the end of the day it's preference. I used snap for quite a while before cobalt's play store. Both work well, just one is the real deal with all the features and the other is native lacking some features.

Posted via CB10
    Snap is neither imitating nor impersonating. It's not trying to look like an app, It literally is the exact same app behind the looks. Looks are different only because it's a native app built by a different person.

As proof: login to Igrann and you'll see all your pics, your followers and who you're following because it's displaying data from the same source; the instagram servers

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 11:46 AM
    Cobalt232, I usually do not ask for assistance with Android apps as I know very well my device is NOT an android. But, I use an app for Transit times here in Nova Scotia, the app is called Transit oddly enough " https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pp.droid&hl=en " and I have had to Lucky Patch it so that the Google Maps would display. When I use this Lucky Patched app with your files, ver1, 2 or 3, this app fails to launch at all saying Play Services died. If I remove the Play Services from Lucky Patch, the app complains that NO play services is installed and fails again. Do you know of any incompatibility between your Play Service and Lucky Patch Google service.

I would like to think that Play Services is Play Services, but from my results I have to conclude that is not the case.
    I just patched that app with GMaps patcher. It uses Maps V2 API, so nothing special. Should also be patchable with Lucky Patcher. I then tried to run in and it works without any problems. Must say though, that I'm using Google Play services 6.5, which I did not release to the public. What version of GPlay Services are you using?
    01-25-15 12:37 PM
    I didn't even know you can load GP on BB 10OS I thought only snap and Amazon

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Check it out man. Its in the forums by cobalt. GP works! Im runnin it! Theres even a video on youtube by Agent Jucey
    01-25-15 12:39 PM
    I have GP installed and there is no discernible effect on battery drain.
    The battery drain or dip in battery life is discernible when using Droid apps or ports. Not from simply installing the Play Store.

Posted one-handed via Passport
    01-25-15 02:24 PM
    I have not been paying attention and just recently side loaded Snap. Do I do the same thing for GP? I am still running official OS 10.2.

Thanks for any insight

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 02:39 PM
    I have not been paying attention and just recently side loaded Snap. Do I do the same thing for GP? I am still running official OS 10.2.

Thanks for any insight

Posted via CB10
    Don't quite understand what you're asking.

Posted one-handed via Passport
    01-25-15 02:59 PM

Thanks for any insight

Posted via CB10
    If you are running OS 10.2 your first concern should be to update your device. After that, you can simply download and install Play Store from my thread. And please fully read post 1 of that thread before doing anything.
    01-25-15 03:13 PM
    just to make sure... just because you sideload google play store doesn't mean you'll be able to access google services... correct?
    01-25-15 03:40 PM
    Correct. But there are ways to patch those apps to get them running to some extent.
    01-25-15 03:43 PM
99 1234