I'm going to Atlanta next week, always spend a lot of money on roaming when traveling and the roaming data plans I get never last long, so I want to try to buy a pre paid plan for the days I'll be there, which companies won't work with the Passport bands so I don't make a mistake buying the wrong one, and is there a problem for a foreign visitor to get such a plan? In my country anyone could buy a pre paid chip and put it in the phone, I don't know if in the US would be the same.

Thanks for your help.
    11-03-14 09:08 PM
    You won't have any problems getting prepaid service, you just have to figure out which one to get.

Basically, there are two major GSM networks in the US--AT&T, and T-Mobile. They have their own branded and unbranded prepaid services, plus other carriers that piggyback off their network and sell service (called MVNOs.) You can take a look at some prepaid carriers/options here: Best Prepaid Phone Plans in the US (2014)

You have to stick with GSM carriers, so stay away from anything that uses the Sprint or Verizon networks.
    11-03-14 09:25 PM
    You can use a variety of them. I am on a post paid plan with T-Mobile and I get LTE with no issues. In your case it won't make a difference if you do a prepaid or not with them as the Passport will work fine.

AT&T prepaid will also work but TMO is cheaper - can't speak about either service providers coverage in Atlanta. Hope that helps.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 09:26 PM
    Go for T-Mobile, it's the cheapest and best quality option in Atlanta.

Posted via CB10
    robert_in_la likes this.
    11-03-14 09:31 PM
    Forgot to mention, you can also do zip code by zip code coverage check here, and see user-submitted coverage data: Unbiased Wireless Network Information. From people just like you - Sensorly
    11-03-14 09:47 PM
    Thank you all, I guess I'll go for a TMO, the 35 bucks plan in Walmart will do for my needs, I'm only staying for 5 days.
    11-04-14 08:58 AM
    Cricket will work. They use AT&T 's network now and my S/O's sister just bought a used AT&T Z10 to replace her busted up Samsung from the CDMA network they are in the process of killing. Works great and they offer 10GB for $60/mo.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 09:13 AM