If you ask me my top 3 important apps, 1 will aways be the Maps for me. I love Google maps and Apple's Maps but have not been pleased with my BlackBerry q10's map app. From poor route choices involving strange u-turns to delayed updates when the route has changed.

From my understanding, there are two Pp maps apps to work with. BlackBerry maps which may or may not be better/updated?
    And side loading an android app to use Google maps.

Are they worthy Map apps and choices? When I think of side loading an app, I think laggy and buggy.
    Any information would be appreciated.

Bonus question for those who read my whole post: with the screen, is there any word on full screen movies that could be had to utilize the big screen?
    Does youtube and video apps use the full screen?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 04:22 PM
    BlackBerry's map app takes care of most of my needs reliably. It has located new addresses that Apple's maps hasn't. (I have an iPhone as well). Another that I use frequently, BeMaps Pro works great on the Passport. Gogle maps (Android via Snap) works well, though you can't sign in to see saved locations, etc.)

Movies? Movies and streaming video tend to be offered in 16:9, not the 4:3 or 1:1 that would look best on the Passport. That said, while waiting at an appointment this morning, I watched almost half an hour of a movie on my Passport with no issues. But this is rare for me. I grabbed the Passport for reasons other than watching movies.
    10-02-14 04:45 PM
    Although you have to side load it with Snap or something Google Maps seems to work just fine. No lag no bugs. Haven't tried navigating with it although.

I believe the closest you'll get to filling the screen with video is with something that is in 4:3. Almost everything nowadays is 16:9 so you'd be looking at old TV shows and the likes. Also, there is an option to make the video fill the screen. It doesn't work with YouTube. Netflix stretches the video. And, the native video player zooms cutting off part.
    10-02-14 04:52 PM
    Google maps is AMAZING, but I wish I could scroll around on the map with the keyboard.

Since it's a side-load work around, I'm guessing this isn't going to happen unless blackberry sneaks it into their runtime somehow.

Passport || Fido
    10-03-14 12:55 AM
    Use navfree or waze

I think those are the best.

Blackberry maps works well in some countries. Like mine.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 12:59 AM
    My other side loads work fine with the keyboard scrolling. Not sure why Maps doesn't.
    10-03-14 01:00 AM
    Google Maps is great and runs fast but you can't sign into Google services so you can't save favorites or your home location which is a pain.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 01:08 AM
    I use Google Maps on my Q10 and it runs well. I imagine it works better on 10.3.

Posted on my Q10
    10-03-14 01:12 AM
    Google maps works well, but limited. BB maps has been horrible for me, barely use it.
    10-03-14 01:18 AM
    Google Map works well, but only if you have solid and free data connection.
    On the road, I like Mireo Don't Panic. Big clear maps and directions and voice. Plus no roaming data fees with its off-line maps, which can be stored on the SD card.
    10-03-14 01:39 AM
    You do realise that the PP is for getting things done and not for fun, so watching movies on your new PP are banned by BlackBerry. Sowwie!

; )

Z10.......er......BlackDroid in action!
    10-03-14 01:47 AM
    I use BlackBerry maps on my Q10. Its been very good. Old BlackBerry maps on the legacy OS was useless.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 04:04 AM
    Google Maps is great and runs fast but you can't sign into Google services so you can't save favorites or your home location which is a pain.

Posted via CB10
    This is the biggest shortfall with sideloading, and I think this is why sideloading will never trully fill the gap.

It's nice having Google Maps. Works great for searching and such. But if I want to go to my actual account and see all my favorites, no dice. So frustrating! I was really hoping this was going to be fixed with the latest runtime.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 07:08 AM
    You do realise that the PP is for getting things done and not for fun, so watching movies on your new PP are banned by BlackBerry. Sowwie!

; )

Z10.......er......BlackDroid in action!
    Actually, you made the assumption that the videos were Netflix or watching bloopers on Youtube. Videos can be for productivity purposes just as easily as other applications. Use it if you got it.
    10-04-14 10:37 AM
    This is the biggest shortfall with sideloading, and I think this is why sideloading will never trully fill the gap.

It's nice having Google Maps. Works great for searching and such. But if I want to go to my actual account and see all my favorites, no dice. So frustrating! I was really hoping this was going to be fixed with the latest runtime.

Posted via CB10

A potential deal breaker for me.
    10-04-14 10:38 AM
    I am aware that favorites or logging in doesn't work, I don't use those features anyway so I really don't care about them, however...

Could someone please verify that the latest version of Google Maps (I think it's 3.2.1) works flawlessly on the PP as well as the navigation feature?

Thanks!
    10-13-14 10:21 AM
    Mireo works very well for me especially for traveling in roaming areas since you can load the maps on your SD card. The Passport display is very good for displaying the maps and the speakers are very loud for hearing instructions. One thing I would like though is the ability to rotate the display (on Mireo) so the power cord doesn't get in the way (resting this on dash of rental car).

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 10:55 AM
    I use BlackBerry maps. Hasn't given me any major problems. Only once it told me to go straight and make a left, left and a right instead of just turning left at the next light lol (which i figured out by myself and didn't follow the instructions)

But honestly, for a mapping app that has only been out for a year and a half it is really good. At least it doesn't give me directions to the airport by driving through the runway like one apple customer did with their device

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 10:59 AM