...eventually forego the tablet? I mean if you are fortunate enough to be using the Passport as an enterprise device, do you see yourself requiring a laptop (ultrabook hopefully) a tablet and a Passport? I know there is significant convenience with portability when it comes to tablets but I just can't see any <real> reason to continue using one. I recently told upper management at the firm I work with that I have no use for my tablet. I hope they replace my laptop with an ultrabook soon enough. Couple that with a BB Passport, and I'm good to go. Do you think that part of BlackBerry's positioning for the Passport (and future like devices) will be to steer enterprise users away from the need to use a tablet?
    10-13-14 10:46 PM
    I would say it depends on your requirements. Passport will do most of what a tablet will do but of course it's smaller. I personally use a laptop and the passport but don't really need a tablet for work.

An ultrabook and tablet are not that dissimilar in size so not sure the advantages of having both.

If I were looking for portability and power I would use a Surface pro 3 and the passport and that's it. I am a 17" laptop guy so ultrabook are not for me

Posted with my awesome Blackberry Passport
    10-13-14 10:53 PM
    my preference, if not clear earlier is ultrabook instead of a traditional laptop....lighter, thinner, just as fast, if not faster (especially if equipped with solid state memory....

like you, I have no need for a tablet, and my iPad (provided by my employer) is collecting dust on my bookshelf...
    10-13-14 10:57 PM
    I was thinking so until I was introduced to Blend. Now blending via my ipad is pretty damn cool! Although I would prefer to be blending via BlackBerry ecosystem on a follow-up of the Playbook

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    10-13-14 11:10 PM
    ^ Blend. Yes forgot to mention this is an excellent method to tether your BlackBerry to your tablet or laptop and have access to all emails, texts and bbms while not keeping any data on the other device.
    Very ingenious software that will empower enterprise users.

Posted with my awesome Blackberry Passport
    10-13-14 11:18 PM
    I believe that once I get the Passport this week, my tablet will go to someone who can use it. I have to see for sure, but I'm assuming that having Blend along with Passport really cuts out the need for a middle man.

"BB POWERED" C001C1D66
    10-13-14 11:33 PM
    If you mean a tablet like an iPad, then yes, but I don't think that's a good example. A surface Pro is a little more versatile. I wouldn't use a table for work purposes in any event. The Passport is good, but won't replace real computing power when you need it. What I like about docs to go is the ability to dynamically expand and contract world documents so they stay readable within the secret size and sentences don't get truncated. Also Excel worksheets that have frozen columns are preserved when expanding and contracting. Good stuff. You can edit reasonably well too in a pinch. I wound't sub that for a computer though. At least not for me.
    10-13-14 11:45 PM
    I bought the Passport to replace my Z30, my Playbook and my Linux laptop on the road.
    I have been experimenting with that over the last week.
    I have already dropped the Z30 (except for the calendar which does not work well on the passport) .
    I am now leaving my Playbook at home and only use it for watching TV in the kitchen while doing other things.
    I still need my laptop for X11 forwarding and work at home but I can leave it at home while travelling.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 12:23 AM
    The passport as device is great but the OS is not refined and buggy. Many apps are not optimize for it and the developers don't seem to be moving quickly enough to make the needed updates to there apps. Crackberry is good example of this.

I am very disappointed in how BlackBerry is doing beta testing because they are missing many issues that should never make it to production especially on a flagship device as the passport.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 01:21 AM
    The passport as device is great but the OS is not refined and buggy. Many apps are not optimize for it and the developers don't seem to be moving quickly enough to make the needed updates to there apps. Crackberry is good example of this.

I am very disappointed in how BlackBerry is doing beta testing because they are missing many issues that should never make it to production especially on a flagship device as the passport.

Posted via CB10
    I don't really have an issue with the CB App. Blaq on the other hand is a mess!

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    10-14-14 01:33 AM
    Absolutely. In the IT sector it is important to have access to computing power and a real keyboard. I am a big fan of Lenovo there, currently using an X1. Carrying a passport will enable me to take up most tasks that require a bigger screen and the keyboard adds to the convenience when typing out e-mails. We don't need to talk about the HUB and all the other tools on BlackBerry that make us so much more efficient.

Having said this, I would really say that it depends on the industry you're in and of course on your position. I can imagine, for example, that someone in marketing could certainly be equipped with an iPad (or similar) to show off to customers.

But to answer your original question. Yes, personally I would definitely skip a tablet for a passport. And by the way, I think BlackBerry should not get back into the tablet business, at least not at this point.
    10-14-14 01:38 AM
    I stopped using my tablet when I got my Passport. With the screen size I find I just don't need it.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 01:57 AM
    ...eventually forego the tablet? I mean if you are fortunate enough to be using the Passport as an enterprise device, do you see yourself requiring a laptop (ultrabook hopefully) a tablet and a Passport? I know there is significant convenience with portability when it comes to tablets but I just can't see any <real> reason to continue using one. I recently told upper management at the firm I work with that I have no use for my tablet. I hope they replace my laptop with an ultrabook soon enough. Couple that with a BB Passport, and I'm good to go. Do you think that part of BlackBerry's positioning for the Passport (and future like devices) will be to steer enterprise users away from the need to use a tablet?
    There will ALWAYS BE A NEED For a computer when we have smartphones or tablets. It's simply because these devices are conceived and designed from the ground up to be companion devices, just like PDA's are and thud why applications have been designed with exactly that in mind.

Where is a really powerful PhotoShop application, Wolfram Mathematica, programing application that could build and debug your code, license and deploy it ALL from your smartphone? Modelling software, 3D software, a full database software that runs in a contained environment such as not to mess with the core os or software on your phone.

Until such powerful and rich applications are created and tested for smartphones then they'll remain as companions.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    10-14-14 02:16 AM
    You help make my point. I believe, as I have eluded to, most <power> users are served best by a solid laptop/ultrabook and the PassPort. No need for a tablet here. IMO....
    10-14-14 02:50 PM
    Since I had the Z30 i had completely abandoned my tablet, however a lap top is always necessary for a number of works.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    10-15-14 01:56 PM