I understood, that although Passport is equipped with a gigatic battery, but for me the performance is not something which is blowing me out in terms of battery life. I am surprised to see that there is no "Auto Brightness" feature in Passport and neither i could find any battery saving mode.

Most of the time device monitor shows the main reason for battery drain is the display and for such a high resolution LCD display, i simply dont understand, why Blackberrry didnt give us the auto brightness adjustment. Also may be because of the huge battery blackberry thought a saving mode is not needed.

Very lame decision in my opinion. Irrespetive of whatever is mAh rating, i just drag a single day with my passport. I get over 60-70 emails work account, out of which 20 - 30 i respond from my blackberry itself. In addition to this, two personal email accounts, twitter, evernote synchronisation, few facebook notifications, atleast 2 teleconference calls lasting over 1-2 hours each and if i listen to some music , i am done by end of the day .. which is not what i expected... In short i cannot keep my macBook home and rely on the passport on roads...

Some battery saving mode, would have been useful for me to great extent ...

Do we know, if these features are going to come back ...?
    11-30-14 01:52 AM
    We spent a lot of time developing the "GLO" algorithm ("Garber Light Optimization", after the engineer who developed it) to automatically adjust the display backlight setting to provide the user with the same perceived brightness regardless of the ambient illumination level. The slider moves that auto-dimming curve up and down to match a user's preference.

http://m.crackberry.com/why-there-no...blackberry-z10

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    j21jam6 and southlander like this.
    11-30-14 01:58 AM
    Are you saying auto brightness adjustment exists and the slider under brightness setting is just a way for the user to control how much of autobrightness adjustment would effectively take place.. ?
    11-30-14 02:01 AM
    Are you saying auto brightness adjustment exists and the slider under brightness setting is just a way for the user to control how much of autobrightness adjustment would effectively take place.. ?
    Correct...implementation of traditional auto brightness in different way...in my opinion...bit better way...

Personally I don't have to worry about setting the brightness etc..I leave it at the default and let GLO do its bit of adjustments based on ambient light...

11-30-14 02:04 AM
    Correct...implementation of traditional auto brightness in different way...in my opinion...bit better way...

Personally I don't have to worry about setting the brightness etc..I leave it at the default and let GLO do its bit of adjustments based on ambient light...

This is very confusing and is not understood by the larger parts of media. Many media reviews have stated absence of auto brightness adjustment as a con for the device.
    11-30-14 02:06 AM
    This is very confusing and is not understood by the larger parts of media. Many media reviews have stated absence of auto brightness adjustment as a con for the device.
    Well now you know...those reviews are void of facts ...
    Simple test is to bring the device under bright light and then take it away from that towards less brighter area...you will see the display going bright and then less bright...how much brighter will depend on the slider setting you have set at...

11-30-14 02:10 AM
    So ideally, lets say I have a very sharp eyes and so if I keep the birightness slider at a lower setting, then it would hit low on my battery as well ?
    I still hope, that some battery saving mode do gets introduced. This display is a power hogger
    11-30-14 02:19 AM
    10.3.1 does have a battery saving mode.
    suvo and southlander like this.
    11-30-14 02:22 AM
    It does in 10.3.1 and as corrected you can set it to which ever % you wish to...

Power Saving Mode in Passport? Very annoyed indeed-img-20141130-wa000.jpg

Last edited by Suraj Jadhav; 11-30-14 at 03:33 AM.
    11-30-14 02:40 AM
    So ideally, lets say I have a very sharp eyes and so if I keep the birightness slider at a lower setting, then it would hit low on my battery as well ?
    I still hope, that some battery saving mode do gets introduced. This display is a power hogger
    Try various levels of slider and you will find the sweet spot soon...I do get 24 hours with default setting...to be honest...very happy with that when I compare.... (compare is what we shouldn't do as once out of box and in users hand - there are at least 100 variables which aren't same between two users standing next to each other with same devices. It gets further complex when devices aren't identical.)

j21jam6 likes this.
    11-30-14 02:54 AM
    It does in 10.3.1 but only kicks in when battery goes down to 20%...

Use the slider...

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 02:59 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20141130-WA000.jpg 
Views:	1683 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	317732

Configurable.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 03:05 AM
    I understood, that although Passport is equipped with a gigatic battery, but for me the performance is not something which is blowing me out in terms of battery life. I am surprised to see that there is no "Auto Brightness" feature in Passport and neither i could find any battery saving mode.

Most of the time device monitor shows the main reason for battery drain is the display and for such a high resolution LCD display, i simply dont understand, why Blackberrry didnt give us the auto brightness adjustment. Also may be because of the huge battery blackberry thought a saving mode is not needed.

Very lame decision in my opinion. Irrespetive of whatever is mAh rating, i just drag a single day with my passport. I get over 60-70 emails work account, out of which 20 - 30 i respond from my blackberry itself. In addition to this, two personal email accounts, twitter, evernote synchronisation, few facebook notifications, atleast 2 teleconference calls lasting over 1-2 hours each and if i listen to some music , i am done by end of the day .. which is not what i expected... In short i cannot keep my macBook home and rely on the passport on roads...

Some battery saving mode, would have been useful for me to great extent ...

Do we know, if these features are going to come back ...?
    I agree. Really hope auto brightness would have a toggle to turn it on or off. I sometimes hate it when it automatically dims at dark environments.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 03:13 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20141130-WA000.jpg 
Views:	1683 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	317732

Serious....
    Why do you think there is a slider?

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 03:15 AM
    Configurable.

Posted via CB10
    Yes I stand corrected...

11-30-14 03:31 AM
    This is what happens with Android 5.0 on my Nexus 5 as well, I think this actually makes a lot of sense if you think about it. It was normal to have an auto brightness button as well as a slider, but now its just a slider which I thought was odd, I always like to have my phones at 75% brightness, works inside and outside, but now set at 75% as usual, auto brightness is still active, but does't fall below what I've placed the slider on, yet increases in brightness to compensate for really bright sunlight when needed.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    11-30-14 03:51 AM
    Why this whole point of auto brightness and power savings become so important is, for all you do with your passport throughout the day, the display takes away the maximum battery power. This display is overpowered to some extent and therefore more optimization is needed.
    11-30-14 04:10 AM
    The display is the biggest battery drain on any phone. It's normal

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 05:56 AM
    Blend saves you power consumption.
    11-30-14 08:19 AM
    Well now you know...those reviews are void of facts ...
    Simple test is to bring the device under bright light and then take it away from that towards less brighter area...you will see the display going bright and then less bright...how much brighter will depend on the slider setting you have set at...

We have zenith days here in North Queensland right now (90 degree angle of sun at noon), the brightest and most intense the sun will ever get anywhere.

When I'm in the car, I notice this behavior when the sun hits the phone directly, and when I move it around and it's back in the shaded part under the roof. It turns to ultra bright when hit by the tropical sun, then it takes a second or two to get back to the low brightness, but even under these extreme conditions, it always remains legible. Couldn't say that about the Q10...

:-)

? ? ? Zzzzwipetyped from The Maskport - Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    Suraj Jadhav likes this.
    11-30-14 02:58 PM