Interesting, quite a big difference in focal length! About the sharpness I would say that the key2 pics often look sharper, but if you go closer/magnify them, they tend to have quite some artifacts of oversharpening and less details. Passport picture use to show more details, not the least in darker areas of the picture, where key2 instead smudge those areas. Passport delivers near the Priv, in my opinion, which I think has the best BlackBerry mobile camera.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-20 04:21 PM
    What is great with PP camera is the focal length. It it shorter than most of the smartphones, which offers a reduced depth of field -> better bokeh, and it really makes a difference.
    You mean "longer " focal length?
    03-12-20 04:44 PM
    @guizmox Very interesting comparison! I see how Key2 performs better in regard to its HDR mode, it just looks better. It is also evident how the Passport quite often mishandles blue skies in non-HDR mode.
    03-12-20 04:45 PM
    You mean "longer " focal length?
    Right My mistake !

Posted via CB10
    Radoslav Valkov likes this.
    03-12-20 04:46 PM
    Interesting, quite a big difference in focal length! About the sharpness I would say that the key2 pics often look sharper, but if you go closer/magnify them, they tend to have quite some artifacts of oversharpening and less details. Passport picture use to show more details, not the least in darker areas of the picture, where key2 instead smudge those areas. Passport delivers near the Priv, in my opinion, which I think has the best BlackBerry mobile camera.

Posted via CB10
    That's right, K2 tends to oversharp. I still have my Priv, I'll do some comparison shots with it. It's the best camera BB produced for a device, I'm with you

Posted via CB10
    03-12-20 04:48 PM
    03-14-20 06:14 PM
    Good picture

BlackBerry Passport SE
    03-14-20 07:48 PM
    BlackBerry Passport SE
    03-14-20 07:50 PM
    Honestly wasn't expecting such great pics from this phone! Well done

Posted via CB10
    03-15-20 09:30 PM
    Snapped this one yesterday
    Attached Thumbnails The power of Passport's camera!-img_20200315_162352.jpg  
    03-16-20 05:23 AM
    Snapped this one yesterday
    Very nice shot... and frog.

Posted via CB10
    guizmox and Radoslav Valkov like this.
    03-16-20 06:14 AM
    Thank you very much !
    I did a new comparison test between the Passport, Key2 & Priv in extreme low-light conditions.

- Passport : Used Camera++ app, photo mode, ISO 100, WB 3500k, Scene : Night Mode (the shutter speed is auto-calculated and can be go down to 1.0s)
    - Key 2 : Used stock camera app, manual mode, ISO 100, WB 3500k, Shutter Speed : 0.3s (the lower usable value)
    - Priv : Used stock camera app, manual mode, ISO 100, WB 3500k, Shutter Speed : 0.3s (the lower usable value)

Pictures : Passport, Priv, Key2
    As you can see, the Passport is the only device that can take a decent picture because its shutter speed can reach 1.0s/ Other phones can't go below 0.3s, which makes a HUGE difference. I can increase picture luminosity on those shots and I'll be able to see some details, but Passport is definitively the best phone to use in a nearly dark environment (with some tweaking, of course : Camera++ is your friend ^^)
    Attached Thumbnails The power of Passport's camera!-passportll1s.jpg   The power of Passport's camera!-privll0.3s.jpg   The power of Passport's camera!-k2ll0.3s.jpg  
    03-17-20 12:07 PM
    I also did the same test, but with "auto mode", using the stock app from all the 3 devices.
    As you can see, the Passport, with its 1.0s shutter speed, performs really well.
    Attached Thumbnails The power of Passport's camera!-passportllauto.jpg   The power of Passport's camera!-privllauto.jpg   The power of Passport's camera!-k2llauto.jpg  
    03-17-20 12:11 PM
    The power of PP cam compromise!

Posted via CB10
    03-17-20 01:54 PM
    Thanks @guizmox, I love your comparisons! You have made some earlier and it's interesting to challenge one's owns ideas about things.
    Radoslav Valkov and guizmox like this.
    03-17-20 04:25 PM
    @guizmox Wow! What a nice technical comparison! I am happy you stopped here and offered your great examples! Very nice frog, here is a tiny lizard with fill flash and the stock camera app:

The power of Passport's camera!-img_20200304_132140.jpg
    mikael11, guizmox and dmlis like this.
    03-17-20 04:38 PM
    Thank you very much, will probably add more comparisons in various situations.
    Beautiful lizard. Focus is just perfect ! The use of the flash is a good idea here, it adds some extra light to his head
    03-18-20 02:48 AM
    Another test, a focal length comparison.
    I used the default camera software for the 3 devices, and activated the 3x3 grid as well, this way, I was able to perfectly match the distance between the camera and the paper (you can see that I drawed some markers on the paper)
    In order : Passport, Priv, K2.
    I added a yellow rectangle to show you the in-focus differences between the 3 devices. I of course used the closest focus from the lens I was able to achieve on the camera app.

We can observe that the in-focus zone is quite similar on all of those devices but the closest (from the lens) is coming from the Passport, that's why it's a better device for macro-shots.
    Attached Thumbnails The power of Passport's camera!-passportfocus.jpg   The power of Passport's camera!-privfocus.jpg   The power of Passport's camera!-k2focus.jpg  
    mikael11 and Radoslav Valkov like this.
    03-18-20 05:55 AM
    Here is a link to get the "raw" files if you're interested :
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjXwOsvc6am5i8YdmmqC1_tSx8s0pA
    03-18-20 06:24 AM
    Another test, a focal length comparison.
    I used the default camera software for the 3 devices, and activated the 3x3 grid as well, this way, I was able to perfectly match the distance between the camera and the paper (you can see that I drawed some markers on the paper)
    In order : Passport, Priv, K2.
    I added a yellow rectangle to show you the in-focus differences between the 3 devices. I of course used the closest focus from the lens I was able to achieve on the camera app.

We can observe that the in-focus zone is quite similar on all of those devices but the closest (from the lens) is coming from the Passport, that's why it's a better device for macro-shots.
    Cool! Pp also seem to have a a more accurate white balance.
    03-18-20 11:03 AM
    @guizmox Great post! I have always wanted to see such comparisons. Yes, like @mikael11 pointed out, WB seems to be the most accurate with the Passport. I am interested to know if this is the case. The Passport has some trouble with auto WB and I will provide examples in which cases that may be challenging for the device.
    03-18-20 11:20 AM
    In fact, the paper is orange none of the 3 devices accurately reproduced the color

Posted via CB10
    Radoslav Valkov and mikael11 like this.
    03-18-20 01:36 PM
    In fact, the paper is orange none of the 3 devices accurately reproduced the color

Posted via CB10
    This is why I asked if that was the case. See these two pictures:

The power of Passport's camera!-img_20200114_142750.jpg

The power of Passport's camera!-img_20200114_142940.jpg

I used PP's stock camera app for both photos. These yellow leaves were tricky for the AWB.
    guizmox likes this.
    03-18-20 01:45 PM
    Outch ! Fortunately we can manually set white balance by using Camera++

Posted via CB10
    03-18-20 01:47 PM
    I gave it up for only one reason - its burst mode, not convenient for my goals.
    03-18-20 01:52 PM
353 ... 1011121314 ...