I think alot of it has to do with me showing a photo on the Passport. I've taken pics and shown friends who honestly believe that the pics look better than the ones they just took with their iPhone, Sammy etc. It really boils down to a full-screen square (unique to them) shot. I've never had anyone exclaim "what a weird shaped photo!" . I've had nothing but compliments and I also prefer to see my screen completely filled as opposed to black bars with the 4:3. It's all personal preference I guess.
    And, like I said, if you don't share pics, and always plan to keep them on your 1:1 phone (although I don't know what that would be after the Passport), then that makes better sense.
    Radoslav Valkov likes this.
    01-14-20 03:20 PM
    if you don't share pics
    Not often I do that - but good point - others would probably not care for a square shot on a 16:9 or otherwise screen.
    01-14-20 03:23 PM
    It's all personal preference I guess.
    This is the final result, the personal preference. The actual matter we are more interested in is how this preference is shaped. I think it is related to the perceptive mechanism which 1:1 triggers. From an artistic perspective, in my opinion, 1:1 is somehow more easily 'digested' and does not invoke complex thought about composition and spatial arrangement of all details that appear in a photo. For example, central composition is sometimes considered not particularly intriguing. With 1:1 central composition provides more straightforward interpretation and the ratio actually exhibits good ability to emphasize.
    brookie229 likes this.
    01-14-20 03:29 PM
    This is the final result, the personal preference. The actual matter we are more interested in is how this preference is shaped. I think it is related to the perceptive mechanism which 1:1 triggers. From an artistic perspective, in my opinion, 1:1 is somehow more easily 'digested' and does not invoke complex thought about composition and spatial arrangement of all details that appear in a photo. For example, central composition is sometimes considered not particularly intriguing. With 1:1 central composition provides more straightforward interpretation and the ratio actually exhibits good ability to emphasize.
    Except, how long will you have a Passport? Your photo will last forever.
    01-14-20 04:11 PM
    My Passport could die tomorrow and I may even end up not being able to repair it. There is only one option I can think of, namely purchasing a 1:1 computer screen that will allow me to contemplate all my square work to date...
    conite likes this.
    01-14-20 04:23 PM
    +1 who knew! We have to admit it, the square screen makes us think that this is the best mode by default. It would have been a really, really weird piece of a smartphone camera capable of 1:1 ratio by default!
    ... we HAVE a really really weird peace of smartphone and I love it for this.

... maybe the square lover's feel the symmetry of the 1:1 ratio. I love symmetry and it looks like a peace oft art to me to look on a symmetrical and optimal taken 1:1 picture .

... but ... I will have a look on the 4:3 ratio and see if I am able to take even better photos. But I am pretty sure I will prefer the 1:1

... and I also think. I am to lazy to keep a double collection. My favourite one-to-one and a in this case "original" 4to3.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-20 12:17 AM
    ... we HAVE a really really weird peace of smartphone and I love it for this.

... maybe the square lover's feel the symmetry of the 1:1 ratio. I love symmetry and it looks like a peace oft art to me to look on a symmetrical and optimal taken 1:1 picture .

... but ... I will have a look on the 4:3 ratio and see if I am able to take even better photos. But I am pretty sure I will prefer the 1:1

... and I also think. I am to lazy to keep a double collection. My favourite one-to-one and a in this case "original" 4to3.

Posted via CB10
    Just keep in mind that you won't always have your Passport for viewing photos.
    01-15-20 12:23 AM
    I keep this in mind ... but ... If I really like one of my photos, I even print it out ... one-to-one ... and hang it on my wall. In a big scale, one meter to one meter. This has really impact and is a great and unusual affect for the viewer. Right because of its ratio. Beside that I seldom scroll through big digital galleries.

... and I know. I could change a 4:3 picture but than I "feel" it no longer as my original "shot of the moment".

Thank you very much for your indication Conite :-) .
    If a take photos for someone else I will consider now to use the 4:3.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-20 12:48 AM
    The tip today is a note on flash use with the native camera app

Quite often a mobile phone flash is not a preferred option as it introduces unwanted reflections, red eye or other non-artistic issues arising from flash use. One of the most challenging bit in photography is to produce your own light and mix it with ambient light to achieve adequate exposure and artistic impact.

In order to keep things as much closer to reality as possible, I need to say that flash performance of the Passport is poor and the evident lack of any manual override of flash output makes things worse, metering also tells the flash to overexpose at close distances which the autofocus system is perfectly capable of. That may be one of the reasons many people could be discouraged from using flash on the Passport. However, when shooting with the Passport there is still a good opportunity to make use of fill flash.

‎Here are two photos without any significant differences, except the fact that flash is used for the second photo:

The power of Passport's camera!-img_20200114_144812.jpg

The power of Passport's camera!-img_20200114_144823.jpg

As you can see from the photos, there is a pattern: bright areas in the background (in this occasion the details behind the Rosehip fruit) are underexposed by less than -0.3 EV if flash is switched on. I will investigate this further but my overall impression is that the brighter the details in the background, the more the negative exposure compensation applied. Just keep this in mind when capturing your scene. I will do my best to provide further details on this matter on Sunday when I would be able to test the above-mentioned AE behaviour for various scene types.
    anon(10387168) and dmlis like this.
    01-15-20 03:53 AM
    Following my post above, here is an example where this pattern is even more detectable:

Regular shot (AE and AF locked)

The power of Passport's camera!-img_20200115_133336.jpg

Fill flash (AE and AF locked)

The power of Passport's camera!-img_20200115_133332.jpg

It should be noted that when focus and AE are locked, WB can still fluctuate if you reframe. I cannot confirm if there is any WB compensation when flash is on. Will update you soon on this matter and if flash could allow extra exposure and WB flexibility for landscapes.
    dmlis likes this.
    01-15-20 11:11 AM
    A quick note on WB accuracy under cloudy conditions using the native camera app

The power of Passport's camera!-img_20200116_114107.jpg

I am fairly satisfied with colour reproduction in this particular occasion and this output looks neutral and very close to the actual scene colour temperature.
    01-16-20 11:28 AM
    And why is that exactly? I still have old Symbian Nokia and Sony Ericsson phones that work today, and there's actually pics and videos stored there that can be accessed any time.
    01-16-20 11:39 AM
    And why is that exactly? I still have old Symbian Nokia and Sony Ericsson phones that work today, and there's actually pics and videos stored there that can be accessed any time.
    Following your post, I have a wonderful EIZO photographic screen bought in 2006, still works with zero dead pixels and has never undergone any maintenance. The issue with battery replacement compromises the whole concept of extending your device longevity. I still dream of Nokia E72 as a backup phone!
    saint300 likes this.
    01-16-20 11:45 AM
    You want to fire up old phones to look at pictures?

Don't you keep a digital repository of all of your photos on a hard drive or server somewhere?

In 30 years from now are you going to need to find a Passport to look at all of your 1:1 images?
    01-16-20 11:47 AM

Don't you keep a digital repository of all of your photos on a hard drive or server somewhere?

In 30 years from now are you going to need to find a Passport to look at all of your 1:1 images?
    Actually, no I don't need to fire up old phones just to look at pictures, and yes, I do have all pictures I want stored. I was merely saying that most devices, Passport included, can be used indefinitely.....well, maybe in the not so distant future not so fully, but still.
    01-16-20 12:00 PM
    Actually, no I don't need to fire up old phones just to look at pictures, and yes, I do have all pictures I want stored. I was merely saying that most devices, Passport included, can be used indefinitely.....well, maybe in the not so distant future not so fully, but still.
    Sure, but photos last a full lifetime. If you frame everything to look great on a screen with a unique aspect ratio, then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.
    01-16-20 12:02 PM
    Following your post, I have a wonderful EIZO photographic screen bought in 2006, still works with zero dead pixels and has never undergone any maintenance. The issue with battery replacement compromises the whole concept of extending your device longevity. I still dream of Nokia E72 as a backup phone!
    I believe replacement batteries for this Nokia can still be found on Ebay; mainly from China, but that;s not an issue. Also, brand new, or refurbished Nokias from there too!
    01-16-20 12:03 PM

Still looks good on any computerThe power of Passport's camera!-capture.jpg
    01-16-20 12:03 PM
    Still looks good on any computer
    Of course some will. I do a lot of post-processing and re-framing on pictures I take that I want to keep, and some do in fact end up at approx. 1:1. All I'm saying is that the criteria should be the subject - not the aspect ratio of your current device.
    01-16-20 12:05 PM
    Sure, but photos last a full lifetime.
    A lifetime is a relative thing now, isn't it? And I forgot to answer to what you said above about 30 years on. So, in 30 years from now I will be 88 years old, exactly my dad's age today! I don't know if I will make it, but I doubt that if I do, my priorities will have anything to do with smartphones of the past, or the then- present....
    01-16-20 12:07 PM
    A lifetime is a relative thing now, isn't it? And I forgot to answer what you said above about 30 years on. So, in 30 years from now I will be 88 years old, exactly my dad's age today! I don't know if I will make it, but I doubt that if I do, my priorities will have anything to do with smartphones of the past, or the then- present....
    Your priorities won't be smartphones, but I bet they will certainly be looking at old photos!

If they are all framed at 1:1 out of respect for the device at the time, instead of the subject material, then I would say that's not good.
    01-16-20 12:08 PM
    Your priorities won't be smartphones, but I bet they will certainly be looking at old photos!

If they are all framed at 1:1 out of respect for the device at the time, instead of the subject material, then I would say that's not good.
    Which I can still do anytime since they are stored on my NAS and on DropBox and Box and OneDrive and also on dedicated USB devices. They view just fine (for my purposes) on any of my devices including 3 computers, PlayBook, Windows 10 Lenovo tablet etc etc etc.
    01-16-20 12:13 PM
    Which I can still do anytime since they are stored on my NAS and on DropBox and Box and OneDrive and also on dedicated USB devices. They view just fine (for my purposes) on any of my devices including 3 computers, PlayBook, Windows 10 Lenovo tablet etc etc etc.
    Yes, but if you knew you would be viewing all of these pics for 30 years on widescreens, would it change how you wish to frame the pictures today - assuming you will only be using the Passport another year or two?

Alternatively, do you take your DSLR camera and force 1:1 instead of 4:3 via settings or a mask?
    01-16-20 12:15 PM
    So I did try a few shots in 4:3 and the pics are good. That being said, I did switch back to 1:1 as that's how I prefer to look at them. For me it is like pics of my childhood, most are square, black & white or faded colour. In 10, 30 or even a 100 years, the aspect ratio will still be pleasing and nostalgic.
    Radoslav Valkov and saint300 like this.
    01-16-20 12:22 PM
    I have my E72 left. Photos are surprisingly detailed, sharp and well exposed. It has only 5mpx sensor but I guess that the camera lens is of a very good quality. Nice phone overall, by the way!
    01-16-20 12:23 PM
353 ... 89101112 ...