Just edit the post and remove some.
    Thanks, just did it.
    Radoslav Valkov likes this.
    01-14-20 09:49 AM
    Another tip is to change the camera mode to 4:3 so you're using the full sensor.

And don't forget to take your photos in landscape mode unless there is an unusual requirement to use portrait in a given shot.
    The 4:3 tip is great but I do not get the landscape mode bit.
    01-14-20 01:15 PM
    Some people emailed me to congratulate me on the scans, although obviously these were only pictures.
    I am not surprised because I use it as a document scanner quite often!
    01-14-20 01:18 PM
    The 4:3 tip is great but I do not get the landscape mode bit.
    Take a look at any photo album, or watch a series of photos on a big screen TV and you'll have the answer to your question. In the absence of a phone, landscape is a more natural way to look at the world. There is a reason why Hollywood movies aren't shown in portrait mode too.

When people from the future look back at this ten year time span, they will laugh at all of the portrait pics and vids associated with phones of this era.
    01-14-20 01:19 PM
    Ah, right, sure, now I get your valid point but this is more about how things happen in film industry and the underlying practical reasons for avoiding portrait orientation. I did not instantly get your point due to a simple routine - I have a photographic screen which rotates in portrait mode depending on my specific need.
    01-14-20 01:40 PM
    Take a look at any photo album, or watch a series of photos on a big screen TV and you'll have the answer to your question. In the absence of a phone, landscape is a more natural way to look at the world. There is a reason why Hollywood movies aren't shown in portrait mode too.

When people from the future look back at this ten year time span, they will laugh at all of the portrait pics and vids associated with phones of this era.
    This is all true but for some reason I still like to look at those 1:1 pics! I've known about the 4:3 since the beginning but personal preference is still to be different.
    Radoslav Valkov and saint300 like this.
    01-14-20 01:45 PM
    This is all true but for some reason I still like to look at those 1:1 pics! I've known about the 4:3 since the beginning but personal preference is still to be different.
    But you're cropping before even taking the picture, and wasting 1/4 of your sensor.
    01-14-20 01:47 PM
    Ah, right, sure, now I get your valid point but this is more about how things happen in film industry and the underlying practical reasons for avoiding portrait orientation. I did not instantly get your point due to a simple routine - I have a photographic screen which rotates in portrait mode depending on my specific need.
    Our own eyes are lined up in landscape mode on our faces. This is how we see the world too. There is a reason why the photo and film industries matched our biology.
    01-14-20 01:50 PM
    But you're cropping before even taking the picture, and not using 1/4 of your sensor.
    Again true and I know but they still look better in my eyes. I've taken pics both ways and always end up choosing the 1:1. It's a part of my brain liking a pic format that few others will ever take I guess. Who knows?
    01-14-20 01:51 PM
    But you're cropping before even taking the picture, and wasting 1/4 of your sensor.
    The obvious advantage of using the 1:1 mode - this is the built-in crop functionality that increases magnification to improve macro photography shooting. This reminds me of the reason why many photographers decided to use OLYMPUS E system shortly after its introduction - the 4/3 system had a 2x crop factor which was the highest amongst any other camera brand. In regard to the personal preference, no doubt 1:1 is appropriate for many sorts of photographic occasions and I understand why @brookie229 wants to stress on this aspect ratio.
    01-14-20 02:01 PM
    The obvious advantage of using the 1:1 mode - this is the built-in crop functionality that increases magnification to improve macro photography shooting. This reminds me of the reason why many photographers decided to use OLYMPUS E system shortly after its introduction - the 4/3 system had a 2x crop factor which was the highest amongst any other camera brand. In regard to the personal preference, no doubt 1:1 is appropriate for many sorts of photographic occasions and I understand why @brookie229 wants to stress on this aspect ratio.
    There would be no difference with regard to macro mode. No shooting characteristics change. 4:3 shooting simply contains 33% more information.

If for some reason you want to end up with a 1:1 image, you can just crop it after. But you'll still have the complete picture in case you want to crop it again differently later.

I just object to getting rid of information before I absolutely need to. You can never get it back.
    01-14-20 02:02 PM
    There would be no difference with regard to macro mode. No shooting characteristics change. 4:3 shooting simply contains 33% more information.

If for some reason you want to end up with a 1:1 image, you can just crop it after. But you'll still have the complete picture in case you want to crop it again differently later.

I just object to getting rid of information before I absolutely need to. You can never get it back.
    This is an essential principle, no doubt about it but we are talking convenience at the moment of capture with a mobile phone camera. Some people though would be keen to post-process mobile phone photography and apply the rule you mentioned, others may not deem it necessary. In order to confirm the validity of your post, I will provide a personal example: my best photographic achievement to date is exactly a 1:1 photo. When taken, it was of course a RAW data, 2:3 ratio, i.e. the "golden rectangle", then I cropped it to 1:1. Generally speaking, the Passport provides adequate output even after the loss in 1:1 mode.
    01-14-20 02:38 PM
    This is an essential principle, no doubt about it but we are talking convenience at the moment of capture with a mobile phone camera. Some people though would be keen to post-process mobile phone photography and apply the rule you mentioned, others may not deem it necessary. In order to confirm the validity of your post, I will provide a personal example: my best photographic achievement to date is exactly a 1:1 photo. When taken, it was of course a RAW data, 2:3 ratio, i.e. the "golden rectangle", then I cropped it to 1:1. Generally speaking, the Passport provides adequate output even after the loss in 1:1 mode.
    In your example, there would be no loss, assuming you framed the shot perfectly on your Passport beforehand, and had no need to revisit the full sensor view at a later date.

I just feel more comfortable making that decision later when the results aren't permanent.
    01-14-20 02:45 PM
    The 2 ratios:The power of Passport's camera!-img_20200114_154159.jpgThe power of Passport's camera!-img_20200114_154217.jpg

I realize that info is lost but of these 2 photos which would you choose? Both are taken in an identical distance from the TV.
    01-14-20 02:49 PM
    Some people though would be keen to post-process mobile phone photography and apply the rule you mentioned, others may not deem it necessary.
    I am DEFINITELY not one of those people who will spend seconds/minutes/hours to crop/edit pictures from a smartphone camera. I get conite's point but I still would rather look at the 1:1, lol. ymmv
    01-14-20 02:52 PM
    The 2 ratios:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200114_154159.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	447321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200114_154217.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	447322

I realize that info is lost but of these 2 photos which would you choose? Both are taken in an identical distance from the TV.
    Yes, but my point is that you can crop later for the same picture - but you'll still have the whole pic available in case you want to adjust the framing a bit.

If you are viewing all of your photos on your Passport, always will, and don't share them, then I can understand better why you just shoot in 1:1.
    01-14-20 02:54 PM
    Another tip is to change the camera mode to 4:3 so you're using the full sensor.

And don't forget to take your photos in landscape mode unless there is an unusual requirement to use portrait in a given shot.
    Was not aware that the sensor is restricted in 1:1. 4:3 it is! Just seemed natural to shoot to the screen aspect ratio. Who knew! Thanks,
    01-14-20 02:55 PM
    Yes, but my point is that you can crop later for the same picture - but you'll still have the whole pic available in case you want to adjust the framing a bit.
    I know - not arguing that fact - no time for cropping or adjusting. EVER!
    saint300 and Radoslav Valkov like this.
    01-14-20 02:57 PM
    Who knew!
    I knew.
    01-14-20 03:00 PM
    In your example, there would be no loss, assuming you framed the shot perfectly on your Passport beforehand, and had no need to revisit the full sensor view at a later date.

I just feel more comfortable making that decision later when the results aren't permanent.
    Not all of my Passport output is perfectly orchestrated but in most cases it is all there and does not need further revision. What I can confidently label as 'excellent' is just a small percentage of the many tests and photos already taken with the Passport.

I like portrait ratio, the actual device we talk about here is in portrait orientation by default!
    01-14-20 03:02 PM
    I know - not arguing that fact - no time for cropping or adjusting. EVER!
    You're a mover and a shaker! No time when the big boys play!
    01-14-20 03:06 PM
    Was not aware that the sensor is restricted in 1:1. 4:3 it is! Just seemed natural to shoot to the screen aspect ratio. Who knew! Thanks,
    And don't forget to hold your Passport sideways when talking pictures.
    01-14-20 03:09 PM
    I knew.
    +1 who knew! We have to admit it, the square screen makes us think that this is the best mode by default. It would have been a really, really weird piece of a smartphone camera capable of 1:1 ratio by default!
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    01-14-20 03:10 PM
    And don't forget to hold your Passport sideways when talking pictures.
    I find it truly convenient to hold it with the right hand rotated at 90 degrees CCW and use the space bar to release. OMG, what if I shoot at 4:3 this way...
    01-14-20 03:14 PM
    +1 who knew! We have to admit it, the square screen makes us think that this is the best mode by default. It would have been a really, really weird piece of a smartphone camera capable of 1:1 ratio by default!
    I think alot of it has to do with me showing a photo on the Passport. I've taken pics and shown friends who honestly believe that the pics look better than the ones they just took with their iPhone, Sammy etc. It really boils down to a full-screen square (unique to them) shot. I've never had anyone exclaim "what a weird shaped photo!" . I've had nothing but compliments and I also prefer to see my screen completely filled as opposed to black bars with the 4:3. It's all personal preference I guess.
    01-14-20 03:17 PM
353 ... 7891011 ...