Wow... I never knew the Passport was capable of such great shots! I always used mine as a quicky point and shoot with a not-so-steady hand.

Also, those insects are nightmare fuel!
    Radoslav Valkov likes this.
    10-06-18 11:11 AM
    You have some fantastic photos on here Radoslav! I absolutely love the side-on shot of the dragonfly on a stem and all of the moth pictures. I think I was lacking in both patience and technical know-how to appreciate the camera on my Passport. I agree about the 1:1 aspect ratio, it can be a real advantage for some compositions.
    I highly appreciate your feedback! That's why I created a separate topic about the camera (and keep it alive), as I strongly believe that the Passport is a fully functional creative tool. As expected, there are many people who own it, but have not really examined this particular strength of the device. Hope this topic may be interesting and inspiring for Passport fans!
    10-06-18 03:26 PM
    Wow... I never knew the Passport was capable of such great shots! I always used mine as a quicky point and shoot with a not-so-steady hand.

Also, those insects are nightmare fuel!
    Now we all know! That's exactly the exciting bit, to reveal the actual potential of this brilliant device!
    10-06-18 03:32 PM
    I've always said phone camera's long ago passed the point of good enough. Just last week I took my Z10 to a farm and after a bunch of shots, I got the most amazing image, it rivals those 'shot on iPhone' pictures advertisements (heck, I know, we have iPhone's in the household) . The weakness was never the camera, it's that thing operating it.

As for the Passport, I 'accidentally ' did a head-to-head shootout with my DSLR's and realized it handily beat a slightly older camera in all aspects, sharpness, detail, focus, colour rendition....it took the newer lower-mid range cameras to beat it. Is the Pixel 2 better? Maybe, but if you aren't taking good pictures with the Passport, it ain't the one holding you back!
    10-07-18 11:49 PM
    I've always said phone camera's long ago passed the point of good enough. Just last week I took my Z10 to a farm and after a bunch of shots, I got the most amazing image, it rivals those 'shot on iPhone' pictures advertisements (heck, I know, we have iPhone's in the household) . The weakness was never the camera, it's that thing operating it.

As for the Passport, I 'accidentally ' did a head-to-head shootout with my DSLR's and realized it handily beat a slightly older camera in all aspects, sharpness, detail, focus, colour rendition....it took the newer lower-mid range cameras to beat it. Is the Pixel 2 better? Maybe, but if you aren't taking good pictures with the Passport, it ain't the one holding you back!
    Which cameras did you compare with, EFats? I am really intrigued you did so, thought I was the only one!
    10-08-18 05:15 PM
    Another one. I like how Camera++ performs generally. Heard some complaints that Passport tends to overexpose. It also happened to me and it is an app-specific issue. With more time spent with the built-in app and Camera++ you will find out that manual ISO settings sometimes cause AE to get confused when using Camera++ and auto ISO fixes the problem. The built-in app tends to force metering to occur only within the green AF confirmation zone, that makes it hard to obtain optimal exposure if focus locked at its closest prior to shooting (especially close-ups). That's why I enjoy using both apps and EFats is right that Passport's hardware is capable enough to produce adequate results.
    Attached Thumbnails The power of Passport's camera!-img_20180921_134654549.jpg  
    YesAndNo likes this.
    10-08-18 05:31 PM
    Another one. I like how Camera++ performs generally. Heard some complaints that Passport tends to overexpose. It also happened to me and it is an app-specific issue. With more time spent with the built-in app and Camera++ you will find out that manual ISO settings sometimes cause AE to get confused when using Camera++ and auto ISO fixes the problem. The built-in app tends to force metering to occur only within the green AF confirmation zone, that makes it hard to obtain optimal exposure if focus locked at its closest prior to shooting (especially close-ups). That's why I enjoy using both apps and EFats is right that Passport's hardware is capable enough to produce adequate results.
    Hey...can u share link to this app? I tried searching camera++ and I get many apps with different names...downloaded one with exact name and it ant working too.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.3.3216
    10-09-18 02:54 AM
    Hey...can u share link to this app? I tried searching camera++ and I get many apps with different names...downloaded one with exact name and it ant working too.

You need the app from IN MobiSoft.
    10-09-18 03:37 AM
    10-09-18 03:39 AM
    Thank u

10-09-18 05:55 AM
    This is a good one, which app did you use?
    I used the app: Camera++
    10-11-18 06:21 PM
    Passport SE, Camera++:Attachment 440688[ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails The power of Passport's camera!-img_20180616_181412630.jpg  
    Last edited by YesAndNo; 10-11-18 at 11:16 PM.
    10-11-18 06:34 PM
    Passport SE native camera:
    Attachment 440699
    Attachment 440700
    [ATTACH]440701[
    Attached Thumbnails The power of Passport's camera!-img_20180608_105739.jpg  
    10-11-18 11:21 PM
    Incredible. Can iphones do this? I thought our cameras were bad.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-18 04:23 AM
    Incredible. Can iphones do this? I thought our cameras were bad.

Posted via CB10
    Now you know! Probably iPhones may be able to perform pretty much the same way, but I feel no urge to try an iPhone. I am not sure if iPhones are able to deliver such pleasant defocus without any software filters involved.
    Attached Thumbnails The power of Passport's camera!-img_20180922_180307434.jpg  
    10-15-18 03:14 PM
    Which cameras did you compare with, EFats? I am really intrigued you did so, thought I was the only one!
    A bunch, I had some point & shoots from Fuji & Canon, did not expect much from them that's why that market is declining.
    A Canon EOS 550? was completely outclassed, no lens could save that one, the Passport easily beat it in anything except focus speed.
    I also have EOS M (with the right lens, fantastic images, but the focus so slow), Pentax KS-2 and some other goodies. I collect for fun :-)
    I almost consider Passport as a cheap handy replacement for something like Ricoh GR or Fuji X-70 for when I don't want to carry a camera.

I'm not a pixel peeper normally, I just shoot what I enjoy, but I got curious because one day I dual carry the Passport and a Canon and wonder why my Passport images turned out better

Posted via CB10
    Radoslav Valkov and valer466 like this.
    10-16-18 05:38 PM
    It's not the camera, it's the guy behind the camera :-)

But we do have iPhones in the house and I always get comments why the pictures from my BlackBerry turn out better or more pleasing anyways.

It's hard to measure "better" sometimes. I have some Xperia's and they have much bigger sensors and 'famous' lenses, yet the images don't turn out better. They have a different look to them which doesn't match what I see with the naked eye.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-18 05:41 PM
    I have some Xperia's and they have much bigger sensors and 'famous' lenses, yet the images don't turn out better.
    I believe you. When I went out shopping for a new phone I ended up taking a bit of risk in terms of the capabilities of the Passport's camera. I purchased my Passport over ebay with no sufficient information about its camera (well this topic did not exist on this forum ). The reason I did not buy any Xperia was that I was not particularly fascinated by their macro capabilities in terms of focus distance. I thought Xperia were kind of 'photography optimised' mobiles. The Passport turned out a beautiful compact camera. My annoyance over this Xperia disappointment made me choose the Passport and I had luck with the camera, pretty much the same way with my Samsung I9000 (Galaxy S) back in 2011.
    10-20-18 03:11 PM
    ... another one ...
    Attached Thumbnails The power of Passport's camera!-img_20180922_171042234.jpg  
    10-20-18 03:57 PM
    ... another one ...
    Do you use the stock camera app with no special tricks to get these results?
    10-24-18 07:07 AM
    Do you use the stock camera app with no special tricks to get these results?
    I never use any filters or post processing, what you see is just the JPEG output untouched. That is actual purpose of the topic, to reveal how good its camera is. The most recent shots are with Camera++, the others are with the built-in app. For the most action macro shots, yes it is the built-in camera app.
    10-24-18 07:29 AM
    I never use any filters or post processing, what you see is just the JPEG output untouched. That is actual purpose of the topic, to reveal how good its camera is. The most recent shots are with Camera++, the others are with the built-in app. For the most action macro shots, yes it is the built-in camera app.
    Is bright sunlight conditions and micro shots the only way to get those results?
    10-24-18 07:57 AM
    am I the only person who is unable to post pictures from his passport using the crackberry app for os10??
    I click reply to thread and click attachment button, select the picture... nothing happens. wait and wait but still nothing.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-18 10:59 AM
    am I the only person who is unable to post pictures from his passport using the crackberry app for os10??
    I click reply to thread and click attachment button, select the picture... nothing happens. wait and wait but still nothing.

Posted via CB10
    Try the Android version of CB forums ?
    10-24-18 11:08 AM
    Is bright sunlight conditions and micro shots the only way to get those results?
    The Passport perfoms quite well under low light conditions (including at dusk). You cannot really rely on it for heavy night shooting, it simply lacks the quality of a large digital camera sensor and advanced optics. It does good job though. What I particularly like about the camera, is that it produces low level of chroma noise under low light conditions. You should refer back to the very first shots in this topic and you will see a building. It does not look fine, as I used night mode with the stock app. Having this in mind, you have to rely on the auto mode with the built-in camera app. The Passport does incredibly good job when fill flash used.

Generally speaking, its camera is relatively good for low light work, but it is really susceptible to camera shake. I have not explored the low light possibilities with Camera++. Since ISO can be manually set, I expect good results. For action macro work, yes you will have to rely on direct sunlight which allows the camera to be able to properly capture movement.

The only other way to do this is with high speed synchro for your flashes (the term is FP for me, I am from planet Nikon) but you will need a proper camera, not the Passport.
    Attached Thumbnails The power of Passport's camera!-img_20180517_223340.jpg   The power of Passport's camera!-img_20180604_182328.jpg   The power of Passport's camera!-img_20180817_183650.jpg  
    10-24-18 11:09 AM
353 ... 23456 ...