I was on N4BB and I saw a render for an all-touch Passport. At first I thought it was a horrible idea because it negates the entire touch-enabled keyboard. Then reading the comments I realized it's a brilliant idea and BlackBerry should jump on it before Android or Apple does with their touchscreen offerings.

Think of a 5.2" Passport Touch. It would have BlackBerry's fantastic virtual keyboard which with its swiping feature on letters beats any on the market in terms of intuition. It would take advantage of the wide screen but also have a tall display and best of all - still fit in a pocket!! The Keyboard can be the original Passport one or have an option to use the z30 keyboard for one handed use for lefties or righties by not having it stretch the entire width.

But the best feature that will attract hordes more over to BB10 would be the ability to rotate the phone to landscape to watch and experience media. Best of both worlds in terms of viewing PDFs, documents, browsing the Web (all in Portrait) and also the best for playing games and watching videos in a 16:9 aspect ratio!!! Smack on an amazing display, speakers, and battery and it's a done deal!!!

This way BlackBerry let's the consumer decide which version of the Passport they want without limitations. And the tech reviewers have nothing to complain about.
    This would have the potentiality for BlackBerry to gain more marketshare in the touchscreen arena where there is less differentiation between phones.

And the popularity and instant recognition will have been paved by the predecessor Passport! What do you guys think about this Best of Both Worlds idea?

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 10:37 AM
    Soooooo........ basically an all touch device.

Or a bigger phablet......

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 10:48 AM
    Yeah I'd like to see a prototype device to make sure I'd like it. I love the idea, but would need to see how a VKB would work on a screen that wide. It would be a full touch phablet at that point.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    10-14-14 10:53 AM
    I must admit, I had the exact same thought when I had the Passport in my hands. I am a Q10 user, the physical keyboard is more important to me than the larger screen but there is something about the shape of the passport that makes me think the virtual keyboard version would be amazing. Especially if the keyboard was able to still be used as a trackpad.
    10-14-14 11:16 AM
    Yep I could go for that. Best spec all touch BlackBerry ever. Yep that sounds good.
    10-14-14 11:26 AM
    WORK WIDE... LONGER!

Posted via CB10
    Niro Sri and mikegcox like this.
    10-14-14 11:30 AM
    Already been done by LG (see the Vu series). No thank you. I hope BlackBerry never does this.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 11:44 AM
    I, myself, am waiting for a Z30 style improvement. I really like the passport for its targeted audience, but for the touch screen people you need media to show full screen landscape. All touch passport would not fit my wants.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 11:48 AM
    I, myself, am waiting for a Z30 style improvement. I really like the passport for its targeted audience, but for the touch screen people you need media to show full screen landscape. All touch passport would not fit my wants.

Posted via CB10
    Half of the media I watch is in 4x3, not 16x9. So let's gimp the phone just for watching crappy youtube videos? Some people still want to "work wide". An iPhone-shaped all-touch Passport would be such a waste of effort. BlackBerry is trailblazing, here.

Just to make this clear, I think an all-touch Passport is a cool idea if it maintains the shape of the current Passport (ie not 16x9).
    Posted via CB10
    mikegcox likes this.
    10-14-14 12:27 PM
    If they make the aspect ratio enjoyable to watch media and to play games, then there should be no reason why it wouldn't sell. Especially because fighting in the dog pile of candybar phones won't do them any good. (I still want them to make a Z30 super successor). Options are good and that's why BlackBerry stands out from Apple.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 03:17 PM