Works on my Z30 and Z10 great find Thanks
    05-31-15 02:36 PM
    great tip thanks
    05-31-15 02:47 PM
    OMG thank you. Why isn't this on the Inside BlackBerry blog? Maybe CB can do a quick post, it's so simple.
    05-31-15 02:51 PM
    To be clear - keep you finger on until you see the green box? Then release?

So there is a delay on the Passport autofocus that may or may not be present on other smartphones. This "fix" won't help the delay if it exists.

Example - Passport and iPhone 6 take the same photo just now. Both photos come out great and the same. Mine takes about 2-3 seconds longer bc I'm using Passport.

Right?

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 02:55 PM
    Really???? This is a find for people? I figured that out the first day i got my passport.

This was taken at Ripley's aquarium in Toronto last week.

Possilbe Solution to Passport Camera Focus Issues-img_20150526_152111.jpg

Posted via my Passport
    05-31-15 03:04 PM
    We're not all as smart as you, Mercury...
    05-31-15 03:08 PM
    Lol Ivan, no one said I was smarter, just thought it was common knowledge is all lol

Posted via my Passport
    anon(153966) likes this.
    05-31-15 03:16 PM
    This was possible since the early days with the tap anywhere to take pic camera software. I used to use it to avoid nudging the phone with my tap at the exact moment the picture was snapped.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 03:49 PM
    The problem all along was not focusing. It focuses fine. The problem is the controls are not intuitive for a point and click camera.

The initial press on the shutter initiates a focus. Letting go of the button snaps the picture. Everyone's pics were snapped mid focus because everyone assumes that just pressing the shutter takes the pic - but it doesn't.

This is fine to do it this way but if there is no explanation, you will never take a good pic!

Posted via CB10
    Pressing the shutter does take the pic. The phone just waits till the image is in focus before the shot is actually taken. Hence the reason why if you tap the shutter you would see the phone focus first, then the box will turn green, then it will take the shot. This behaviour was introduced early in BlackBerry 10. When I first got my Z10, it used to take shots as soon as you tapped the shutter button whether you waited for it to be in focus or not. Many times people ended up with blurred photos so BlackBerry implemented a delay which will take the pics after it's finished attempting to autofocus. Sometimes it gets the autofocus all wrong and you still end up with a blurry pic, those are the times when you never see the box turn green before it snaps. Other times it focuses on the wrong part of the image, often focusing on the background when you would like it to focus on an object in the foreground.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CyberMan2013; 06-01-15 at 06:23 AM.
    05-31-15 03:59 PM
    Thanks! Works on my z30.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 04:00 PM
    Forgive my camera jargon ignorance but is the shutter the square that focuses or the camera button?

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 04:15 PM
    Forgive my camera jargon ignorance but is the shutter the square that focuses or the camera button?

Posted via CB10
    The camera button.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 04:20 PM
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 04:22 PM
    Pressing the shutter does take the pic.

Posted via CB10
    Nope. I can keep my finger on the shutter forever, slide it off, and no pic is ever taken. The pic is taken when you remove your finger from the button.

Try it.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    05-31-15 04:23 PM
    And sometimes the fix is so simple that you just don't think about it. I come from iPhone and on iOS it's basically frame the shot and tap the icon. If I were to press and hold it would automatically go into burst mode as long as I held my finger on the screen.
    05-31-15 04:36 PM
    Brilliant, it works!

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 05:11 PM
    As they say, if all else fails, you can always read the instructions: Taking pictures and recording videos - BlackBerry Passport - 10.3.1
    05-31-15 05:14 PM
    As they say, if all else fails, you can always read the instructions: Taking pictures and recording videos - BlackBerry Passport - 10.3.1
    Reading said instructions, I'm seeing a lot of "TAP" being used. NOT touch and hold, lol.
    05-31-15 05:23 PM
    This is for sure correct. Continuously holding the autofocus will bring the box and a lock. Well done op, you are wise!

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 06:08 PM
    Like many people, I have had trouble keeping things in focus with the Passport Camera. Then I did some digging. I believe that the Passport's autofocus mode is "Continuous." See here.

Sony Global - Digital Imaging - Basic knowledge

Reading that in Continuous mode, the shutter button needs to be held down in order to focus properly, I tried that on Passport. Guess what? Holding the shutter button down keeps the image in focus! Just let go of the shutter button to snap a pic. Slide you finger off the button if you don't want to take a pic.

This solves the issue of the focus darting around non-stop. I have not taken many pictures using it so far so I don't know how dramatic the change will be but I THINK, this solves most of the issues.

Post if this works for you (or if it doesn't).

Assuming this is the way the camera is supposed to work, it is crazy that Blackberry never explains it anywhere.
    There are many guys who told that this rule can be applied to any BlackBerry smartphone.

I am  Z3 user and there is no separate button as camera shutter button. We use some time volume up physical button as camera shutter button and we have software camera button.

When I press the volume up button as shutter key it automatically takes picture.

Now what I understand is : first of all open the camera after that shift the focus point (rectangular one) on which object I want to focus and after that press the volume up button (it will take a picture but that doesn't matter ) until the focus icon (rectangular one ) become green then release your finger from that volume up button and again press the volume up button to take picture.

Now I want to know that am I correct or not?

 Z3 STJ100-1 ~10.3.1.2576 ~
    05-31-15 06:12 PM
    Like many people, I have had trouble keeping things in focus with the Passport Camera. Then I did some digging. I believe that the Passport's autofocus mode is "Continuous." See here.

Sony Global - Digital Imaging - Basic knowledge

Reading that in Continuous mode, the shutter button needs to be held down in order to focus properly, I tried that on Passport. Guess what? Holding the shutter button down keeps the image in focus! Just let go of the shutter button to snap a pic. Slide you finger off the button if you don't want to take a pic.

This solves the issue of the focus darting around non-stop. I have not taken many pictures using it so far so I don't know how dramatic the change will be but I THINK, this solves most of the issues.

Post if this works for you (or if it doesn't).

Assuming this is the way the camera is supposed to work, it is crazy that Blackberry never explains it anywhere.
    Excellent find, TWO thumbs up.

Posted via CB10 Canadian Passport
    05-31-15 06:44 PM
    Nope. I can keep my finger on the shutter forever, slide it off, and no pic is ever taken. The pic is taken when you remove your finger from the button.

Try it.

Posted via CB10
    You done a good thing, you have my appreciation as well as many others, lol. I don't think of myself as being stupid but it never occurred to me to try this so thank you for posting!
    05-31-15 07:07 PM
    This is simply excellent and I call for a sticky !
    Bellow are two pics, the blurry one done 'as is' and the sharp one with your method.
    I've choosed a close and tricky perspective (dirty!) subject for the POC.

Bravo!

Possilbe Solution to Passport Camera Focus Issues-img_20150601_121426.jpg
    ^ Tap on shutter (onscreen cam. icon)
    Possilbe Solution to Passport Camera Focus Issues-img_20150601_121433.jpg
    ^ Press and hold shutter until fine focus then release.

P.S: I'm 10.3.2.**** official beta.
    anon(153966) and mkiiw like this.
    06-01-15 05:17 AM

Try it.

Posted via CB10
    I guess we're not understanding each other. When I say "pressing the shutter", I mean tapping and releasing not tapping and holding. I know that the pic is not taken before the finger is removed. However if you tap the shutter button (not tap and hold) before the camera is finished focusing there will be a slight delay between the moment you tap and release and the moment actual picture is taken. The picture will be taken when the camera white square turns green to indicate that it's focused.

Try it.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 06:19 AM
    You can also press and hold anywhere only the screen to lock the focus on an object before you tap the shutter button to take the pic. (a little lock will appear on the focus box to indicate that the focus is now fixed)

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-01-15 06:27 AM
105 1234 ...