Works great, thank you for the tip.
    06-01-15 07:57 AM
    Great find thank you so much!!

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    06-01-15 08:10 AM
    I guess we're not understanding each other. When I say "pressing the shutter", I mean tapping and releasing not tapping and holding. I know that the pic is not taken before the finger is removed. However if you tap the shutter button (not tap and hold) before the camera is finished focusing there will be a slight delay between the moment you tap and release and the moment actual picture is taken. The picture will be taken when the camera white square turns green to indicate that it's focused.

Try it.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think it works this way. If it did, we would not have so many blurry photos. Pics are snapped before focus locks.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 08:12 AM
    Wow. This is a great tip. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 08:18 AM
    You can also press and hold anywhere only the screen to lock the focus on an object before you tap the shutter button to take the pic. (a little lock will appear on the focus box to indicate that the focus is now fixed)

Posted via CB10
    You're correct. Still, the 'press and hold then release' sequence is faster. Your (regular) one is better to target a specific focus though.
    06-01-15 08:39 AM
    Thanks for OP, learning something new today !!

so far it works great. I don't have a passport, but I have a Z10 and Z30, and I almost think the Z10 focus is better , but now I realize this the proper way of using the camera.... lol
    06-01-15 08:42 AM
    I carry the sin of deviating from the thread! Can you please let me know how I can update my Z3 to the latest Beta OS release? The invite is pending fruition. Since Q5 and Z3 both have 8 GB of internal storage, the question looks appropriate. I tried a secure wipe and the update still demands 400 MB of additional free space. I tried updation through Link to no results. How did you manage this Magic?? Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 08:43 AM
    I don't think it works this way. If it did, we would not have so many blurry photos. Pics are snapped before focus locks.

Posted via CB10
    It does work that way at least it attempts to work that way. That's why the white square turns to green before the pic is focused and the picture is taken. Haven't you tried it and looked at what happens after you tap the button and the square turns green? The reason for so many blurry pics is that the autofocus misses what we want it to focus on much too often on the BlackBerry Passport. It has improved over the course of OS updates but it's still not perfect especially when dealing with near objects. Using fixed focus/focus lock either by doing it the way the OP has reported or by tapping and holding the focus box itself can help a lot as the many positive reports here would suggest. I think it's still only a workaround for the Passport not automatically focusing on the correct objects inside the white square which is what it should be doing. It really has trouble when it comes to stuff that's near to the lens. I would like you to try this lawguyman. Open the camera, then tap an area or object in the screen then immediately tap the shutter button without waiting for it to focus. After the picture is taken tap a different spot and repeat. You should notice the varying delay between the between the tap and when the snapshot is actually taken and you should also notice most times that the snapshot is actually taken at the the moment the white square turns green.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CyberMan2013; 06-01-15 at 10:27 AM.
    06-01-15 08:50 AM
    The point of touch is the point of focus and all auto norms adapt accordingly. Amazing. If one could let me know how to attach photos, I could well illustrate my statement.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 08:50 AM
    I carry the sin of deviating from the thread! Can you please let me know how I can update my Z3 to the latest Beta OS release? The invite is pending fruition. Since Q5 and Z3 both have 8 GB of internal storage, the question looks appropriate. I tried a secure wipe and the update still demands 400 MB of additional free space. I tried updation through Link to no results. How did you manage this Magic?? Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    Use an autoloader. It will wipe your device though.

Link to Thurask's archive:
    https://drive.bitcasa.com/send/6tMMp...Fqp5HIb2K3xoQ/

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    06-01-15 08:51 AM
    I would like you to try this lawguyman. Open the camera, then tap an area or object in the screen then immediately tap the shutter button without waiting for it to focus. After the picture is taken tap a different spot and repeat. You should notice the varying delay between the between the tap and when the snapshot is actually taken and you should also notice most times that the snapshot is actually taken atheist the moment the white square turns green.

Posted via CB10
    I tried it. When I did, the box never turned green and I got two blurry pics.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 09:06 AM
    I tried it. When I did, the box never turned green and I got two blurry pics. Pics were snapped immediately or close to it.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 09:07 AM
    I think the issue for most people is that focus does not hold. If you move the camera slightly or if the object moves, the focus readjusts. Holding the button forces the focus to complete and then holds it. The result is sharp pics!

I tried this at my daughter's soccer game yesterday and got some great sharp pics of people in motion. Not every pic was worth keeping but I got many nice ones.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8050899) likes this.
    06-01-15 09:18 AM
    I tried it. When I did, the box never turned green and I got two blurry pics.

Posted via CB10
    I really meant for you to repeat it a bit more than once with different objects in the shot so the camera would attempt to focus on the different objects. Sorry if my language wasn't so clear. I don't doubt you but it's strange to me that you've never observed this behaviour. I guess maybe something might be lost in translation here. Am I the only person here who notices that the phone delays the snapping of the picture until after it tries to get what it "thinks" is a proper focus? To me it's quite clear and easy to demonstrate and it's not only on my Passport.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 10:37 AM
    Lol Ivan, no one said I was smarter, just thought it was common knowledge is all lol

Posted via my Passport
    Next time, learn to share and don't be selfish.
    06-01-15 10:44 AM
    Thanks OP for sharing!
    06-01-15 10:45 AM
    I really meant for you to repeat it a bit more than once with different objects in the shot so the camera would attempt to focus on the different objects. Sorry if my language wasn't so clear. I don't doubt you but it's strange to me that you've never observed this behaviour. I guess maybe something might be lost in translation here. Am I the only person here who notices that the phone delays the snapping of the picture until after it tries to get what it "thinks" is a proper focus? To me it's quite clear and easy to demonstrate and it's not only on my Passport.

Posted via CB10
    The point is that the AI on the camera gives up too quickly and takes the shot before proper focus is obtained. By holding down the shutter button, it completes the task. Then you release to take the shot.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    06-01-15 10:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    Which OS are you on? I'm on 10.3.2. There may be differences. But from what I see, if you simply point and shoot, the shot will be captured before focus is complete.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 12:16 PM
    This is still a bug, and the behavior of the "workaround" is spotty. Most of the time it works, however sometimes the focus is still not obtained. Using physical buttons becomes useless, since they don't behave the same. Also, pressing and holding the on-screen button will in some instances result in multiple pictures being snapped (sort of like burst mode, but unintended). The focus is also terribly slow still.
    06-01-15 12:55 PM
    Which OS are you on? I'm on 10.3.2. There may be differences. But from what I see, if you simply point and shoot, the shot will be captured before focus is complete.

Posted via CB10
    I'm using a Passport on 10.3.2.680 and I've been closely following the developments in the Camera software since 10.0 on my Z10. If I simply point and shoot, the camera would take a good picture most of the time. Sometimes it wouldn't. Before 10.3.1.2744 it would take a blurry picture much more often than after that OS update. It all depends on where the subject is and the characteristics of the subject. It seems to have a more difficult time with very close subjects.

What I was debating with you before wasn't if the camera was taking properly focused shots or not you know. I was just wondering if you were getting to see the white square turn green at all and if you ever observed the automatic delay to allow the camera to focus before the shot is taken. If your white square is not turning green (which indicates a focus on some object) at all then you could have bigger issues with the camera on your phone. It could be dirty or defective. I am also not saying that once the square turns green you will get a clear focused shot though because it could focus on the wrong object. In my experience though, I've had very good results just pointing and shooting and making sure my hand is still of course since updating to 10.3.1.2744 and beyond.

If you read this old thread you will see that reference is made to making changes in the BlackBerry software to have the camera attempt to focus first before taking a snapshot as opposed to taking the shot immediately whether the user waited until the square turned green before pressing the shutter button. There are other threads about it but they're so old that I can't find them.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ra-app-800159/

Edit: I just tried just pointing and shooting and once the focus box is off the screen it snaps immediately. So you are right in that sense. If you just point and shoot there's no guarantee that the image you shoot will be in focus. What I have noticed is there's a slight delay between when you open the camera and when the focus box appears. During that window you can snap immediate shots with no change in the focus. It also happens in between shots. It took me so long to understand because I normally wait until I see the focus box and also normally wait until it turns green before I snap my pics.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CyberMan2013; 06-01-15 at 02:18 PM.
    06-01-15 12:56 PM
    This is still a bug, and the behavior of the "workaround" is spotty. Most of the time it works, however sometimes the focus is still not obtained. Using physical buttons becomes useless, since they don't behave the same. Also, pressing and holding the on-screen button will in some instances result in multiple pictures being snapped (sort of like burst mode, but unintended). The focus is also terribly slow still.
    Mr. Cheery weighs in.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 01:53 PM
    I'm using a Passport on 10.3.2.680 and I've been closely following the developments in the Camera software since 10.0 on my Z10. If I simply point and shoot, the camera would take a good picture most of the time. Sometimes it wouldn't. Before 10.3.1.2744 it would take a blurry picture much more often than after that OS update. It all depends on where the subject is and the characteristics of the subject. It seems to have a more difficult time with very close subjects.

What I was debating with you before wasn't if the camera was taking properly focused shots or not you know. I was just wondering if you were getting to see the white square turn green at all and if you ever observed the automatic delay to allow the camera to focus before the shot is taken. If your white square is not turning green (which indicates a focus on some object) at all then you could have bigger issues with the camera on your phone. It could be dirty or defective. I am also not saying that once the square turns green you will get a clear focused shot though because it could focus on the wrong object. In my experience though, I've had very good results just pointing and shooting and making sure my hand is still of course since updating to 10.3.1.2744 and beyond.

If you read this old thread you will see that reference is made to making changes in the BlackBerry software to have the camera attempt to focus first before taking a snapshot as opposed to taking the shot immediately whether the user waited until the square turned green before pressing the shutter button. There are other threads about it but they're so old that I can't find them.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ra-app-800159/

Edit: I just tried just pointing and shooting and once the focus box is off the screen it snaps immediately. So you are right in that sense. If you just point and shoot there's no guarantee that the image you shoot will be in focus. What I have noticed is there's a slight delay between than you open the camera and when the focus box appears. During that window you can snap immediate shots with no change in the focus. It also happens in between shots. It took me so long to understand because I normally wait until I see the focus box and also normally wait until it turns green before I snap my pics.

Posted via CB10
    In the circumstance I described, the white square never turns green.

I think the reason for so many problems is not that you can't find focus. It is that you can't keep focus. The issue is that the slightest amount of movement by the photographer or the subject will trigger a refocus. Just hold the camera and move it around slightly. It constantly focuses!

I think it refocus more with objects up close because those things occupy a large area of the screen and the movement triggering a refocus is more apparent.

The camera can find focus pretty quickly but that does you no good if it is refocusing when you snap the pic.

I can go from tapping the camera icon to opening the camera to snapping a focused pic in 3 to 4 seconds. That's pretty good, IMO but I'm sure other phones could be faster.

I am a new Passport owner. I have not seen how the software developed. I was initially shocked by how bad my pictures were and I was looking for an answer. I couldn't believe that BlackBerry would release such a bad camera. But, failing to provide proper instructions? That's classic BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 02:10 PM
    In the circumstance I described, the white square never turns green.

I think the reason for so many problems is not that you can't find focus. It is that you can't keep focus. The issue is that the slightest amount of movement by the photographer or the subject will trigger a refocus. Just hold the camera and move it around slightly. It constantly focuses!

I think it refocus more with objects up close because those things occupy a large area of the screen and the movement triggering a refocus is more apparent.

The camera can find focus pretty quickly but that does you no good if it is refocusing when you snap the pic.

I can go from tapping the camera icon to opening the camera to snapping a focused pic in 3 to 4 seconds. That's pretty good, IMO but I'm sure other phones could be faster.

I am a new Passport owner. I have not seen how the software developed. I was initially shocked by how bad my pictures were and I was looking for an answer. I couldn't believe that BlackBerry would release such a bad camera. But, failing to provide proper instructions? That's classic BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Coming from a Z10 to the Passport the deficiency in the camera software was very apparent. Especially on the Passport launch OS. 10.3.1.2744 is when things started to improve but they've still not perfect. It's so strange and silly when the you hold an object like a circuit board or your thumb close to the phone and you see it go past optimal focus then come back and pass optimal focus again before stopping on a blurry setting. That happens a lot still. The Z10 can focus on objects which are closer with no trouble. The sad thing to me is that it artificially limits the phone's Macro ability. If it couldn't get a focus at all then I would say that's the limit but the autofocus actually misses and doesn't lock on the optimal focal point for very near objects. They have improved tremendously since launch though so I'll give BlackBerry credit for that.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 02:24 PM
    Small objects close up take some work but it can be done. Here is a paperclip. You reach the limits of the lens's ability to focus.
    Possilbe Solution to Passport Camera Focus Issues-img_20150601_153449.jpg

Posted via CB10
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    06-01-15 02:36 PM
    oki thanks for the tip.
    06-01-15 03:13 PM
105 12345