11-14-17 05:14 PM
41 12
tools
    Okay Okay, searching some more, have now just found this actually helpful explanation.

This Is Why There Wasn?t An Android Version Of The BlackBerry Passport
    11-25-16 11:00 AM
    E
    I love Blackberry devices. I love OS10. The Hub. I had a z10. I have a Classic at work. I've actually lost count how many 'berries I've had. But I love the freedom of a choice of zillions of (cr)apps on Google Play.
    I did try shoe-horning them onto my Z10. It was just too much extra work and they frequently failed without warning.
    I moved to a Droid because of that problem.

Android OS is portable and supposedly free. If OS10 devices can run some android apps that means somewhere in them is a very unixy spice in the melange. and I'd bet there are very unixy hardware drivers for screens, keyboards, and GSM hardware.

Of course it would be no small effort -- but there must be a way to compile and load Android into a Passport.
    Certainly someone (acting independently) with BB10 devtools would stand a good chance.

I don't care which OS is better. I was a zealot once myself. That's not the point.
    The point is getting access to the Google Play mountain, seamlessly, but yet,
    still having a tough, durable, sexy phone with bigass screen and a fabulous keyboard.

I hope some tech-guru finds the time to tackle this challenge. Hell I'd even throw some money at it.
    With you all the way on this one. BB10 is peerless, proper BB phones are peerless. Quite possibly, the introduction of android was an easy way of killing off BB os in that once punters had been shown bb android phones with android apps, support for bb apps could be quietly withdrawn shepherding sales towards the commercially more available android system, sacrificing bb security, efficiency and accuracy in the process.
    11-27-16 01:40 PM
    After reading that article, I wonder what could have been if there was a 4:3 screen with a slider(or without) on a new passport. I love the form factor of the passport and I would love to see a new one.
    01-24-17 08:34 PM
    I wouldn't rule it out in the future of a possible passport type device with it running Android software. Even though some say it is not possible because of the screen ratio of the current blackberry passport, I think the future of smart phones will eventually go in the direction of this screen size 4:3 because of how much more information can be seen and utilized.

Blackberry Passport Silver
    01-24-17 09:37 PM
    I don't want passport using android os. But I just prefer to 4.4 or above for next version of blackberry 10.

 Passport Silver Edition SQW-100-4 / 10.3.3.2049
    01-25-17 12:03 AM
    BlackBerry may realize an Android device with many similarities to the Passport but it is impossible to install android on your passport. The ones you saw on YouTube were insider devices BlackBerry had to test their android OS before they released the Priv.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I dont think it's a yes answer for your question.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-17 01:37 AM
    I don't want passport using android os. But I just prefer to 4.4 or above for next version of blackberry 10.
    That will never happen.
    01-25-17 10:24 AM
    That will never happen.
    we don't know what happen... why? we are not God lol

Posted via CB10
    01-25-17 07:53 PM
    True, we are not God but porting the Android runtime to QNX^H^H^HBB10 appeared to be a non-trivial integration task with multiple source code repositories, both internal and external to BlackBerry (github, etc). These epic stories behind the BB10 ART are available if you google it.

I, as a developer, would also love that BB10 ART get updated to support 4.4 but, taking a pragmatic position here, there's not a business opportunity motivating the investment required for BlackBerry.

Should they ever release the source code for it, the community *might* be able to execute the work for 4.4 but don't hold your breath waiting for this to happen.

If you want better Android support, add a sidekick android phone to you BB10 device

Posted via CB10
    01-27-17 07:48 AM
  10. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    True, we are not God but porting the Android runtime to QNX^H^H^HBB10 appeared to be a non-trivial integration task with multiple source code repositories, both internal and external to BlackBerry (github, etc). These epic stories behind the BB10 ART are available if you google it.

I, as a developer, would also love that BB10 ART get updated to support 4.4 but, taking a pragmatic position here, there's not a business opportunity motivating the investment required for BlackBerry.

Should they ever release the source code for it, the community *might* be able to execute the work for 4.4 but don't hold your breath waiting for this to happen.

If you want better Android support, add a sidekick android phone to you BB10 device

Posted via CB10
    I hope I can get 4.4 or more, why? I want to play ps2 emulator -.-

 Passport Silver Edition SQW-100-4 / 10.3.3.2206
    01-30-17 10:36 PM
    You can hope all you want, but it's not going to happen.
    RoseBud68 likes this.
    01-31-17 07:26 AM
    i keep checking back at this thread in hopes that there's been some development. lol
    Me to. I got the KeyOne the day it was released, and don't get me wrong, it's a great phone. But there's something about the Passport that's perfect. I'd keep using it, but it's losing it's support with apps (ie. WhatsApp), by the end of year.

If BlackBerry were to do a android version Passport 2.0, I'd totally get it. Otherwise, I wish they'd do something about the apps :/.
    11-14-17 05:10 AM
    11-14-17 05:19 AM

 Passport Silver Edition SQW-100-4 / 10.3.3.2206
    Just use Retroarch.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-17 05:31 AM
    Just the unreasonably optimistic. Despite explanations and many warnings, some decided to expose them selves and their devices. None have Android running on a Passport, just issues.

Don't try it.
    11-14-17 04:38 PM
    That's not a solution, that's a scam.
    11-14-17 05:14 PM
41 12