I've seen several youtube videos of Passports SE running Android. How can I do it?
    Don R1 likes this.
    01-09-16 09:42 AM
    Sorry, but no. It's been discussed here many times. Android won't be available for any existing BB devices.
    01-09-16 10:04 AM
    How to explain these videos?

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 11:24 AM
    Android launchers
    01-09-16 12:37 PM
    How to explain these videos?

Posted via CB10
    99% of them are launchers. The 1% is the Oslo, an unreleased test device.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-09-16 01:06 PM
    Passport running in full Android OS is probably not an ideal phone:

(1) Passport's hardware specs are no longer top notch to run those Android apps / games that requires high specs hardware to run smoothly and effortless.

(2) Since there is no 'square' screen Android device exist (screen ratio of 1:1), there are no probably apps / games that were made for this screen ratio / size. So, there are Android apps / games that are not optimised for square screen.

(3) The death of BB10 OS will be speedy since, I personally believe, that the only reason right now, JC keeps promising that BB10 OS will be continually supported is because of Passport and other BB10 devices that are still available in the market. Giving an option to convert them to other OS such as Android, will eventually totally sealed the BB10 OS coffin.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 10:54 PM
    The android system would not be able to utilize the keyboard though. And a PP without that keyboard is not a PP anymore.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 05:03 AM
    BB10 is, by far, the best OS for phones. Period. I have tried iOS and Android and BB10 is much better in the user experience side.

Now, that is not enough. Users need apps.

And apps are what makes the system fail even when being superior.

No, some here say that the phone is not powerful enough to run some games that never considered a 1:1 factor. Yet power eating games are not the biggest problem. Apps for Google, Maps, Android Wear, that app related to that radio program, that other made by a customer... those are the blocking ones.

Now, compiling Android for PP should not be that hard. Most hardware inside the phone should have its own drivers. The only drivers that should surely be made "from scratch" are keyboard's (lots of keyboards for tablets exists) and Camera's.

The point here is that if BB puts its effort in compiling Android for Passport and the rest of BB10 devices, even if that is going to be a one and only unsupported version, they do automagically would have two things:

a) A complete portfolio of devices made in few weeks. Some of them unique in the market, such as Passport.
    b) A way to move their loyal customers into an Android only environment without expensive purchase of yet to be made phones.

And last, but not least, a way to train their BB10 experieced developers into their new area of expertise, Android.

I think that is the logical move to be made. Yet there are lots of logical moves that have not been done in phone industries.
    ShalokShalom likes this.
    01-12-16 06:53 AM
    Passport running in full Android OS is probably not an ideal phone:

(1) Passport's hardware specs are no longer top notch to run those Android apps / games that requires high specs hardware to run smoothly and effortless.

(2) Since there is no 'square' screen Android device exist (screen ratio of 1:1), there are no probably apps / games that were made for this screen ratio / size. So, there are Android apps / games that are not optimised for square screen.

(3) The death of BB10 OS will be speedy since, I personally believe, that the only reason right now, JC keeps promising that BB10 OS will be continually supported is because of Passport and other BB10 devices that are still available in the market. Giving an option to convert them to other OS such as Android, will eventually totally sealed the BB10 OS coffin.

Posted via CB10
    1) PP HW is same as Sony Z3, moto X, Lg G3 etc. They all are Marshmallow upgradable.

CB10 on PP SE in UK on 3
    01-12-16 07:05 AM
    The android system would not be able to utilize the keyboard though. And a PP without that keyboard is not a PP anymore.

Posted via CB10
    Ever heard about that device called PRIV?

CB10 on PP SE in UK on 3
    01-12-16 07:05 AM
    Instead of expecting an android os, why not BlackBerry make a deal with google for playstore on bb 10 os.

Even BlackBerry can take an option like selling Google play store services if it becomes costly to get it at free of cost.

The BlackBerry users who require android apps will buy it.
    01-31-16 02:02 PM
    Stop being delusional, better find the way to install BB10 on Priv. I will be first in queue.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-16 02:34 PM
    Sorry, but no. It's been discussed here many times. Android won't be available for any existing BB devices.
    Yet the Priv is an existing Blackberry Device with Android.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    01-31-16 02:45 PM
    Yet the Priv is an existing Blackberry Device with Android.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    That was not the OP's question -- as you probably know. If not, please re-read the title and first post.
    01-31-16 02:51 PM
    They tried too.

The silver Passport was to be that device.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-16 02:52 PM
    Stop being delusional
    way to install BB10 on Priv.
    Erm...
    01-31-16 02:54 PM
    i keep checking back at this thread in hopes that there's been some development. lol
    05-10-16 07:33 PM
    i keep checking back at this thread in hopes that there's been some development. lol
    lol, me too.
    Since there is great chance that a test device exists, I still think that there's a slim chance...
    05-10-16 09:27 PM
    Instead of expecting an android os, why not BlackBerry make a deal with google for playstore on bb 10 os.

Even BlackBerry can take an option like selling Google play store services if it becomes costly to get it at free of cost.

The BlackBerry users who require android apps will buy it.
    This is probably the most reasonable solution... Blackberry could propose to us BB10 users to pay a yearly fee to keep bb10 running smoothly and securely along with a full on google play store; I am not swimming in money but something like $50 USD a year sounds reasonable for many people around the world: not a ton of money but more than enough to keep it well funded and profitable; a free version without the google play store should also be offered to cater to those who swore off android. That way Blackberry doesn't become an abandonware company for its future products, which would be a red flag for investors...
    05-10-16 10:04 PM
    No. It is not possible. And why do you think Google will allow BlackBerry to install Android OS on already-sold devices? If Google don't permit, why do you think BlackBerry will pay Google so that already-sold devices will have the chance to run Android? Simply not possible in any way.

Posted via my beloved Passport solid black edition
    05-11-16 10:26 AM
    BlackBerry may realize an Android device with many similarities to the Passport but it is impossible to install android on your passport. The ones you saw on YouTube were insider devices BlackBerry had to test their android OS before they released the Priv.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-11-16 10:56 AM
    so is our BB passport device useless now? blackberry moved to android and we will not get relevant updates nor applications since the business model of blackberry already explained itself.
    07-26-16 03:13 PM
    Hell to the naw.

Posted via CB10
    DEV560 and thecaringkind like this.
    07-26-16 05:31 PM
    I love Blackberry devices. I love OS10. The Hub. I had a z10. I have a Classic at work. I've actually lost count how many 'berries I've had. But I love the freedom of a choice of zillions of (cr)apps on Google Play.
    I did try shoe-horning them onto my Z10. It was just too much extra work and they frequently failed without warning.
    I moved to a Droid because of that problem.

Android OS is portable and supposedly free. If OS10 devices can run some android apps that means somewhere in them is a very unixy spice in the melange. and I'd bet there are very unixy hardware drivers for screens, keyboards, and GSM hardware.

Of course it would be no small effort -- but there must be a way to compile and load Android into a Passport.
    Certainly someone (acting independently) with BB10 devtools would stand a good chance.

I don't care which OS is better. I was a zealot once myself. That's not the point.
    The point is getting access to the Google Play mountain, seamlessly, but yet,
    still having a tough, durable, sexy phone with bigass screen and a fabulous keyboard.

I hope some tech-guru finds the time to tackle this challenge. Hell I'd even throw some money at it.
    Last edited by Don R1; 11-10-16 at 03:50 PM. Reason: typos
    11-10-16 03:46 PM
    Face. Palm. Search... Ugh...
    11-10-16 04:30 PM
41 12