Hey guys,

I'm seriously loving the new Blackberry Passport. I was a dedicated Blackberry user up until 2 years ago when I sold my 9700 and opted for an iPhone 5.

I only have a few questions:

Will spotify and Instagram work on the new Passport and what range of apps can we expect with the new phone.

Really excited about this phone.
    08-26-14 09:37 AM
    Everything works with android 4.3 runtime!

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 09:41 AM
    Igrann is native in BlackBerry World (native instagram client) already available. Amazon will come preloaded on the new PassPort as well. Also the updated 4.3 runtime is reported to be working very well.

Phone should be a complete beast based on the spec's circulating

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    08-26-14 09:45 AM
    Everything works with android 4.3 runtime!

Posted via CB10
    except the stuff that doesnt ... deezer is a disaster still, and honestly this new notification system is worse. quitting android apps now takes a lot of extra steps as they dont quit if you just close them from the active frames, also the android notifications makes the phone vibrate even though they wouldnt on an android phone, making quite a few apps literally useless as they turn your phone into a vibrator... for example vuze, utorrent or bittorrent as they update their notification almost every second

edit: and to be clear im not trying to be ungrateful, im just correcting you that we are still not there yet
    08-26-14 10:06 AM
    I was a 10+ year BlackBerry user but left primarily because I couldn't get access to sub-folders in email as a BIS user. I went with the Palm Pre, Android, WP8, and even with the iPhone (which I use now). But the Passport is winning me back. After seeing all the pics and specs I SO want this BlackBerry.
    08-26-14 02:43 PM
    I have spotify and Instagram both on my Z30 which is OS 10.2.1 and has an older android simulator than the passport will have.

So yes they will work.

White Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925 = heaven.
    08-26-14 02:47 PM
    I'm still waiting for some more business-minded apps to arrive like OneNote. Seems many Android apps have 75% functionality of true Android. Not sure if we'll ever get there due to Google Roadblocks (dependence on Google Play Services)
    08-26-14 03:32 PM
    Looking forward to seeing more photos and videos over the coming weeks. Will probably wait until after the iPhone 6 release and some more detailed videos of the phone itself. (I highly doubt the iPhone 6 will surprise / impress me as much as the Passport though) Never got to try Blackberry 10 since i switched to Apple after the 9700 but I'm definitely seeing myself coming back!
    08-26-14 03:39 PM
    I'm still waiting for some more business-minded apps to arrive like OneNote. Seems many Android apps have 75% functionality of true Android. Not sure if we'll ever get there due to Google Roadblocks (dependence on Google Play Services)
    EverNote has excellent integration with BB10. Good alternative to OneNote.
    08-26-14 03:54 PM
    another quick question. Done a bit of researching on the Android 4.3 runtime that's going to be in the Passport..

Am I right in saying that all Android based apps installed on the device will not send notifications? I would need to use iGrann for this?

Also, will the silly bar on the bottom of some apps be present with 4.3 runtime? And can we expect the apps to scale as they should?
    08-26-14 04:39 PM
    Aren't we all?
    08-27-14 01:54 AM
    also the android notifications makes the phone vibrate even though they wouldnt on an android phone, making quite a few apps literally useless as they turn your phone into a vibrator...
    That can actually come quite handy in some situations! Lol

Posted via CB10
    jackielio likes this.
    08-27-14 06:07 AM
    except the stuff that doesnt ... deezer is a disaster still, and honestly this new notification system is worse. quitting android apps now takes a lot of extra steps as they dont quit if you just close them from the active frames, also the android notifications makes the phone vibrate even though they wouldnt on an android phone, making quite a few apps literally useless as they turn your phone into a vibrator... for example vuze, utorrent or bittorrent as they update their notification almost every second

edit: and to be clear im not trying to be ungrateful, im just correcting you that we are still not there yet
    Thank you. The misconception that the Android runtime integration is somehow perfect or even good is driving me nuts. A very large number of prominent applications don't run on the current or upcoming runtime. Here is a list of just a few...

OpenTable
    Groupon
    Vivino
    PhotoshopExpress
    PS Touch
    Microsoft Office
    OneNote

As more apps get upgraded to Android L standards, the issue will become worse as the dependence on Google Services increases.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-14 09:23 PM
    I currently flip my SIM card between a Z10 and a cheap Android phone. I'm totally down for buying the Passport, but I'm very worried it'll have the double typing issue the Q10 and Bold 9900 keyboards had. Not sure if I should risk it and get the Passport or get an android phone instead (either the upcoming Moto X+1 or the HTC One M8).

Posted via CB10

EDIT: Totally posted in the wrong thread. But yeah, android apps are steaming garbage on the Z10. Tons of apps have a lot of slowdown or don't work.
    08-27-14 09:41 PM
    Spotify is pretty wonky on 10.2.1, and no better on my 10.3 leak. I hate the Android runtime.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 07:52 AM