For last ~2 months my Passport voice reception has not been good. Similar to being in a poor signal area - caller's voice breaking up, etc.

My software release is 10.3.3.1435.

Could that be the problem...I've not updated in quite a while... because it wasn't broke & I saw no need to "fix it"?

I've had the Passport from new in 2015.
    Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-21 02:16 PM
    For last ~2 months my Passport voice reception has not been good. Similar to being in a poor signal area - caller's voice breaking up, etc.

My software release is 10.3.3.1435.

Could that be the problem...I've not updated in quite a while... because it wasn't broke & I saw no need to "fix it"?

I've had the Passport from new in 2015.
    Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    Who’s your carrier?
    03-02-21 04:46 PM
    ATT - San Diego

Posted via CB10
    03-02-21 11:58 PM
    ATT - San Diego

Posted via CB10
    I wonder if you’ve lost some 3G towers in the process of the phaseout.
    03-03-21 06:22 AM
    Depending on which Passport he has, he should have all the current AT&T bands.
    03-03-21 03:09 PM
    Depending on which Passport he has, he should have all the current AT&T bands.
    When AT&T did 5G upgrades around here last year, it seems like my 3G coverage dropped. As if the migration is being done checkerboard style. On T-Mobile side, I’ve noticed similar pattern with Band 4 and Band 66 too. Since both carriers have longer in-force sharing agreements of GSM on 3G, I suppose, T-Mobile earlier migration is affecting both carriers in certain areas.
    03-03-21 03:23 PM
    When AT&T did 5G upgrades around here last year, it seems like my 3G coverage dropped. As if the migration is being done checkerboard style. On T-Mobile side, I’ve noticed similar pattern with Band 4 and Band 66 too. Since both carriers have longer in-force sharing agreements of GSM on 3G, I suppose, T-Mobile earlier migration is affecting both carriers in certain areas.
    The issue was more software at the tower level. They installed software that bounces non support phones (AT&T). Then had to try to roll it back. It was one of the reasons after 25 plus with AT&T we moved 250 plus phones to T Mobile. The service with AT&T went down hill. WOOF
    bh7171 likes this.
    03-04-21 09:28 AM
    I will stop by the AT&T local store today to see what they may know (or not know).
    Sadly, in any case, I am prolly going to have to retire my PP early.
    What to go to in the interim? ...until the new 2021 BlackBerry comes out?

Any suggestions?
    ...I have three primary email accounts; I don't care how pretty the photos may be. Don't care about Apps (I have the horrible iPhone X Max S for Apps).

What say you? ...the Pixel? Motorola?
    Thx

Posted via CB10
    03-06-21 02:00 PM
    I will stop by the AT&T local store today to see what they may know (or not know).
    I STOPPED BY the local San Diego corporate AT&T store this afternoon where a Southern California manager-type happened to be visiting. He had more knowledge than a regular sales person type.

He said that AT&T did indeed terminate their 2X and 3X sites over the last 4 months, which he believes probably affected my BlackBerry Passport's ability to get clean, strong voice reception.

He noted that this is being done throughout the State and the Nation on a phased basis. He said San Diego was the first because of the "sophistication" of their devices - more San Diegans use the most contemporary of AT&T devices than other areas of the State; and, thus, fewer people would be affected by the phase out of 2X and 3X.

He said that SoCal will be completely phased out by 2022.

He understood my favoring the BlackBerry Passport (he used to use it), and was looking forward to the new Onward Mobility BlackBerry, which he believes will be released between May and the end of July.
    (how he knows this, he did not say).

In the meantime he suggested I transfer my BlackBerry Tel # to my iPhone, which he said should work just fine carrying two lines
    (his iPhone has two lines...and has no issues whatsoever).

Posted via CB10
    The_Disembodied likes this.
    03-06-21 06:50 PM
    I STOPPED BY the local San Diego corporate AT&T store this afternoon where a Southern California manager-type happened to be visiting. He had more knowledge than a regular sales person type.

He said that AT&T did indeed terminate their 2X and 3X sites over the last 4 months, which he believes probably affected my BlackBerry Passport's ability to get clean, strong voice reception.

He noted that this is being done throughout the State and the Nation on a phased basis. He said San Diego was the first because of the "sophistication" of their devices - more San Diegans use the most contemporary of AT&T devices than other areas of the State; and, thus, fewer people would be affected by the phase out of 2X and 3X.

He said that SoCal will be completely phased out by 2022.

He understood my favoring the BlackBerry Passport (he used to use it), and was looking forward to the new Onward Mobility BlackBerry, which he believes will be released between May and the end of July.
    (how he knows this, he did not say).

In the meantime he suggested I transfer my BlackBerry Tel # to my iPhone, which he said should work just fine carrying two lines
    (his iPhone has two lines...and has no issues whatsoever).

Posted via CB10
    I used physical SIM and eSIM on my iPhone XR and I love the feature. The only problem is that it's harder to use the phone while talking on it. Eventually I went back to dualcarry for that reason. I did a LG V30 now Pixel 3a for my Android fix.

I doubt we'll ever see OM device, however, I would expect certification to leak by July 1 to see a release by 1 year OM announcement. If not, I believe it's dead.
    03-07-21 12:15 PM
    I doubt we'll ever see OM device, however, I would expect certification to leak by July 1 to see a release by 1 year OM announcement. If not, I believe it's dead.
    Hmmm.... Why do you believe we won't ever see the OM BlackBerry device?

I thought that "Chen BlackBerry" blew it back in the day, when he did not enhance the then BlackBerry OS 10 devices to compete with the iPhone and Samsung products. ...However, Chen by that time may have already decided to get out of the hardware market, thus stifling any Team incentive to expand at that time.

OM, on the the hand, presumably was excited to offer "the" new, resuscitated BlackBerry device.
    'T'wasn't helpful that the Virus took everyone's Plans & lives into disarray.

Is it that OM questions whether any real market exists out there for the new BlackBerry? Is OM willing to roll up its sleeves and give an all out marketing program a chance?

It would seem to me that a nucleus of ecstatic interest must be created ... via Social Media and the MSM.
    That seems to have worked well in today's political arenas.

Just saying....
    What's your basis?

Posted via CB10
    03-08-21 12:32 PM

I thought that "Chen BlackBerry" blew it back in the day, when he did not enhance the then BlackBerry OS 10 devices to compete with the iPhone and Samsung products. ...However, Chen by that time may have already decided to get out of the hardware market, thus stifling any Team incentive to expand at that time.

OM, on the the hand, presumably was excited to offer "the" new, resuscitated BlackBerry device.

Is it that OM questions whether any real market exists out there for the new BlackBerry? Is OM willing to roll up its sleeves and give an all out marketing program a chance?

It would seem to me that a nucleus of ecstatic interest must be created ... via Social Media and the MSM.

Just saying....
    What's your basis?

Posted via CB10
    OM's device is designed entirely around a specific application at Bank of America. It may not be the phone you think it will be.

The consumer market for a pkb device is a dead-end apart from enthusiasts and nostalgia buffs.

But deadlines are being missed and OM executives are either holding on to other jobs, or taking new jobs - so the situation seems odd.
    03-08-21 01:08 PM
    OM's device is designed entirely around a specific application at Bank of America. It may not be the phone you think it will be.

The consumer market for a pkb device is a dead-end apart from enthusiasts and nostalgia buffs.

But deadlines are being missed and OM executives are either holding on to other jobs, or taking new jobs - so the situation seems odd.
    How do you know this?

"OM's device is designed entirely around a specific application at Bank of America. It may not be the phone you think it will be."

Where has this been stated or a design rendered or is this conjecture based on John's Chen's tongue in cheek comments from the old town hall with BofA CEO and friend?

All I recall from OM CEO was that the device would be a 5G QWERTY PKB Blackberry for enterprise and consumer with high end specs and camera.
    03-08-21 01:20 PM
    How do you know this?

"OM's device is designed entirely around a specific application at Bank of America. It may not be the phone you think it will be."

Where has this been stated or a design rendered or is this conjecture based on John's Chen's tongue in cheek comments from the old town hall with BofA CEO and friend?

All I recall from OM CEO was that the device would be a 5G QWERTY PKB Blackberry for enterprise and consumer with high end specs and camera.
    Inside knowledge back in August that was confirmed by Peter when interviewed in November.
    03-08-21 01:27 PM

Just saying....
    What's your basis?

Posted via CB10
    The lack of anything beyond some press release infomercials and staged podcast infomercials. The lack of the very social media campaign type behavior you mentioned.

OM should have kept quiet until lining up the economic resources. Look at Essential a couple of years ago. Look at Nothing recently. Ironically, Nothing's just acquired Essential's failed assets.

Look at Unihertz and their press commentary release behavior. It's obviously a side project of people with regular jobs.

If you're a Kickstarter company that wants to seem bigger and more reliable than Unihertz, you have to behave the part. The saying "fake it till you make it" comes to mind.
    03-08-21 01:30 PM
    FAREWELL (for the moment?)

Today will prolly be my last day using the BlackBerry Passport (or any current BlackBerry).

With the demise of 2X and 3X service in the San Diego area of Southern California, as I noted at the very Top, I can no longer get clear voice reception.

Sad to lose the Passport.
    Best to all of you!

Special thanks to those of you who contribute your time and efforts to support this site!! Especially Chuck Finley...TY!
    Thank you all.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-21 01:28 AM
    FAREWELL (for the moment?)

Today will prolly be my last day using the BlackBerry Passport (or any current BlackBerry).

With the demise of 2X and 3X service in the San Diego area of Southern California, as I noted at the very Top, I can no longer get clear voice reception.

Sad to lose the Passport.
    Best to all of you!

Special thanks to those of you who contribute your time and efforts to support this site!! Especially Chuck Finley...TY!
    Thank you all.

Posted via CB10
    Or just switch to T-Mobile and keep using your Passport.
    03-09-21 01:58 AM
    Sorry to derail the thread and the OP, I am wondering how it will work with roaming clients on these American networks?

In Canada I don't believe 3G is being shut down for a few years and in Europe they will hold onto 3G maybe even a little longer.

Would we really expect some of these devices that were sold in 2018/19 and not carrier branded phones to work when traveling to the US?

I understand the need for the carriers to make revenue on new devices and to refarm some of the spectrum to 5G. I'm just wondering if there will be a behind the scenes section where devices that are capable of VoLTE like the Key series and other devices, BB or not, will be allowed to work for roaming purposes?

Am I over thinking this? I know that Apple and Samsung devices really rule the market in a lot of places but there are literally billions of devices that are Android and not top tier manufacturers but have VoLTE ability. Roaming is also very profitable for carriers in every country.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-21 05:35 PM