05-08-15 10:47 PM
28 12
tools
    Out of all of the BlackBerry devices that I've had, starting with my trusty BlackBerry 8700, I've never had to replace any before it was time to upgrade (~2 years). Within about 30 days of receiving my white BlackBerry Passport, I had to send it back because there was a discoloration on the screen.

On to Passport #2 - The sim card cover didn't sit flush with the metal bezel, and the keys on the keyboard did not sit even with one another. I thought maybe the keys were slanted for ergonomic purposes, but they don't follow a pattern - some slant right, others left, and some perfectly flat. Neither of these issues really bugged me - I just figure it gave my phone some character. What DID bug me, however, is that the proximity sensor wasn't working so the screen would turn itself off/on at inopportune times.

On to Passport #3 - I just received my replacement in the mail. The keyboard is fine, but the sim card cover still doesn't sit flush. Also, the 'volume up' key rattles. Again, I can live with these issues, as long as all the hardware components function properly, but should I really have to? Shouldn't everything just be the way its supposed to?

Maybe I've just gotten some bad luck, but it's a little worrisome that all 3 phones have had very noticeable issues. Am I the only one?
    04-21-15 12:30 PM
    Looks like it...we have 4 Passports in our family and no problems whatsoever.
    04-21-15 12:43 PM
    Sounds like wherever you are getting them from got a shipment of a bad run.
    04-21-15 12:47 PM
    Sounds like wherever you are getting them from got a shipment of a bad run.
    Digital River?
    04-21-15 12:54 PM
    Or you were given refurbished ones, ie. rejects. Did they look like new and unopened? From whom did you purchase?
    04-21-15 12:55 PM
    The first one was new from Amazon, and then the 2 replacements were from BlackBerry's RMA department. As far as I know, they only send out brand new devices.
    04-21-15 01:04 PM
    I have the AT&T version and it seems well built to me. I have always found blackberries to be well built I have never had a bad one.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by o4liberty; 04-21-15 at 02:32 PM.
    04-21-15 02:11 PM
    I am enjoying my Passport four months ago, and believe me, this is a terrific machine ( in a good sense... ) well designed, built and with the most fluid OS I ever have had... all in all the best smartphone ever....

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 03:52 PM
    Our family has a black Passport from launch, a red Passport from black Friday sale, and a newly added AT&T Passport. The build quality on all are rock solid.

I do believe that the AT&T version doesn't have the screen lifting that very few have had and is structurally more solid. The only hardware issue from all three is the black from launch has a loose volume up key that is only noticeable if you wiggle it. Two from shopblackberry, one from AT&T. Definitely feels solid to me. Sorry that you have had issues though.

For some reason it seems if you return a device you end up with something wrong with the next then the next etc. That's just an observation from the few posts on hardware issues I've seen on here. Weird.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 04:03 PM
    OP you must have some bad luck. Also your complaint about the keys being slanted is false. Some keys are slanted depending on where they are located on the keyboard. Ones on the left of the spacebar slant to the left and the ones on the right of it slant to the right...

With that said I think the Passport is the best built phone ever.

Posted via International Passport
    04-21-15 05:02 PM
    Man bad luck for you I have my white PP and no issues, and am very pleased with this phone

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 05:36 PM
    My Passport is extremely tough and has survived some unfortunate mishandling that has spelled sure death for some other phones I know of. Even with damage it's still rock solid! I hope you find a good one soon!

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 07:46 PM
    OP is correct here unfortunately. Im at passport #3 and unfortunately it's unmistakable that there are some quality control issues.
    The device itself is fine, but it has flaws that I wouldn't expect:
    Right side of screen/sim cover sit higher than the top metal bezel. The left side sits flush (all 3 were like this)
    Keyboard frets on the right-side sit more elevated than on the left side (all 3 were this way)
    Stain around the BlackBerry logo (all are like this)

Other than that everything functions well. But I'd expect perfect symmetry for a device of this caliber. Though I can't imagine it's easy to do. I assume the 'made in canada' gold version must be symmetrical though!
    04-21-15 10:10 PM
    My white Passport is flawless. I agree you've somehow ended up sourcing from a bad batch.

Got mine from DR.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 10:11 PM
    Have a white passport none of those problems, thank god.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 12:23 AM
    BlackBerry's quality control is abysmal. I got a Passport and a replacement with the original shipment via Digital River and had all of the issues you described with both handsets.

I returned and bought again with Amazon, much better, but I never received a non-defective device.

That's just BlackBerry. Their build quality has issues, and I feel it's gotten worse. Even worse than that, they're engineering has become poor.

The Passport is inherently flawed. The steel frame is the weak point and can lead to bending and screen popping. This is true of every single og Passport. I'd say twisting of the frame is inevitable.

The Classic is basically glued together. Almost impossible to disassemble yourself. Compare that to the beautifully constructed Q10 (which had other issues).

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 12:36 AM
    In my experience BlackBerry has pretty solid built devices, but is suffering from bad quality control - if that even exists at all. During my 15 years of owning mobile phones from a range of different manufacturers, BlackBerry certainly was the worst. Everytime I order one I am already mentally prepared sending it back.

9900: Trackpad sunken in deeply, replaced the device. Second one the rep in the store got me also had this. They opened up all four left units and virtually all of them had a sunken trackpad. I settled with the one which was barely acceptable.

Q10: Double-typing started after about six months, decided to claim warranty after about 15 months.

Passport: Dent in the top of the steelframe, also the device was pretty prone to reboots. The replacement had a slightly misaligned bottom - settled with that because I was tired doing the gambling of getting a good device again.

Classic: Light bleed on the top keyboard row, slightly misaligned SD-tray but otherwise good. Until it started creaking like it was abused for two years already after just about two months of use. Will send it back.

Maybe I expect too much or am too nit-picky, but if BlackBerry wouldn't be the only company left producing phones I really like, I would've stopped buying their stuff already.
    On the other side I know a guy who needed to exchange his iPhone 5 five times before finally getting a good device and another who needed to get his homebutton fixed on all his iPhone every six to nine months.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    04-22-15 04:32 AM
  18. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Rock solid since late September launch... hope your latest is good....

From my awesome Passport
    Tokyo

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 04:55 AM
    I don't blame you guys. Anyone personally experienced the same unfortunate series of events, will eventually end up having bad and poor quality perception with BlackBerry.

I just only wish that somehow BlackBerry is monitoring this kind of complaint and do some improvements about it since it will have negative impact even on their upcoming devices.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 04:56 AM
    My bold 9900 was poor wifi signal hardware damage. Now my passport has a jerky camera focus. I'm so unfortunate in BlackBerry products. And the worst part of it, I cannot return my phones because I live where no BlackBerry store exist. We have no support here in the philippines.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 05:10 AM
    I have an early non-ATT PP. I have two white spots on the screen. Camera has issues focusing. Probably will not send it back because I am afraid of a worse production.

I still like the overall build quality and design with the metal I frame. When you drop it the I frame takes the hit in the corners.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 08:00 AM
    To date, I have purchased 22 Passports for my company. Not a single one has been perfect. The ones I purchased originally, when it was first released, all had the issue of the screen becoming loose. Clothes pegs and about a dozen hot charge cycles with the pegs in place almost sorted the issue, but not satisfactorily as the screens would always start to lift again.

Some had loose sim / sd covers that would not come off, but rattle freely and not fit flush against the metal frame.

I bought one for my CTO last week and have not had any feedback - as is only used for international travel and he has not been on a flight since.

I gave my one - which after months of clothes pegs, and bending etc, was almost perfect ( had to use a hard shell case to disguise the fact that there is a design fault that makes the strip of plastic at the bottom of the keys bow, so as to show a bit of the "I-beam" at either end) to another employee as there were none in the shops in the area.

My replacement arrived today from Carphonewarehouse and feel quite honoured that they hired Stevie Wonder to put it together...

Within an hour, I could see the top right hand corner of the screen was already higher than the rest of the screen (all 22 have been line this to start with) - but this one has frets that are raised too high, has light bleed above the "R" key thet spreads to the screen and aldo has severe light bleed on the left of the Q key and the right of the "P" and "backspace " keys.

This will be returned tomorrow.

Whilst I'm at it, I purchased a classic for my wife a few weeks back. When the staff in Carphone warehouse unboxed it they immediately noticed it had not been put together properly - the slide in and out bits for the sim and micro sd card did not fit and stick out at an angle by a mile, so they sent it back to Stevie and ordered a replacement.

How the hell is it that:

1) Blackberry have such poor design of their screens (Z30 was fine, screen was clearly designed by an engineer, not an art student)

2) They only employ blind people in the manufacture and QA departments.

Do I have to wait for Porsche to bring out their variant of the Passport - which is a great phone, if you ever find one without a fault.
    Last edited by ChrisBP; 05-08-15 at 01:37 AM.
    05-08-15 01:17 AM
    You are not too picky. its BlackBerry. Their quality control is terrible and the only BB10 devices whit screens that don't fall off are the Z10 (but that is a vile and horrible thing bade from recycled toilet seats - and the Z30, which is now out of date.

I mean, is it too much to ask that they actually get someone to design a screen for the Passport than is mechanically held in position instead of using the adhesive from post-it notes?

PS, just to forewarn any mentally ill fan boys - I wont reply to any of your posts if you try to say that I'm the exception, or I'm too fussy. the fact of the matter is, the issue is to do with the inability of BlackBerry to actually manufacture their products properly.

Mr Chen, if you are reading this.. it will cost you just a few tens of thousands to sort these problems. All the other manufacturers - EVEN Samsung - have got the idea now, its about time you did.
    05-08-15 01:32 AM
    You are not too picky. its BlackBerry. Their quality control is terrible and the only BB10 devices whit screens that don't fall off are the Z10 (but that is a vile and horrible thing bade from recycled toilet seats - and the Z30, which is now out of date.

I mean, is it too much to ask that they actually get someone to design a screen for the Passport than is mechanically held in position instead of using the adhesive from post-it notes?

PS, just to forewarn any mentally ill fan boys - I wont reply to any of your posts if you try to say that I'm the exception, or I'm too fussy. the fact of the matter is, the issue is to do with the inability of BlackBerry to actually manufacture their products properly.

Mr Chen, if you are reading this.. it will cost you just a few tens of thousands to sort these problems. All the other manufacturers - EVEN Samsung - have got the idea now, its about time you did.
    You are right. All the 9900 or Q10 got screws to hold the screen.
    The Passport with its massive screen is glued together :/
    The same with the Classic- everything glued together....
    Dear foxconn chen- please design your units a little better!! Screws are better. Adhesive tape is good for notes, packages but not for screens.

Posted via Q10Bold
    05-08-15 02:15 AM
    Well said. Time BlackBerry fixed this next mess.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 02:21 PM
28 12