158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Round Cornered Passport

83 52.53%
  • Straight Edged Passport

75 47.47%
05-01-15 05:07 PM
283 ... 23456 ...
tools
    The square is the original. The rounded one looks weird. Too bad this is what BlackBerry had to do to get on an American carrier.

What next John? An Apple logo?

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 04:45 PM
    Here is the comparison shot of both:

[Poll] AT&T exclusive rounded Passport vs original Passport?-att-passport-compare-front.jpeg

Omnia>i3G>9630>9650>Droid Pro>9650>9930>i4S>i5>i5S>Passport
    01-07-15 04:52 PM
    I don't blame Blackberry for doing what they had to do to get on a US carrier. I would not buy the rounded version because I don't think it looks good, it's $50 more, it will have an ugly AT&T logo on it and it will have a ton of AT&T bloat on it..

I guess if someone does not have the funds to purchase an unlocked version at full price and needs to take advantage of the AT&T upgrade on contract price or the AT&T payment plan then I can see getting it. Other than that, no thanks AT&T..
    01-07-15 04:53 PM
    My passports only a week old. Oh well

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 04:53 PM
    How is possible that BlackBerry change the design so quickly. Hopefully they won't add another row in keyboard.

Passport
    01-07-15 04:56 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry would have done this blindly without profit in sight

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 05:03 PM
    I love my Passport and the round corners is OK but I like mine with metalic etc much better but my wife likes the redesign.
    01-07-15 05:09 PM
    The original square design has grown on me, I wouldn't switch.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-07-15 05:10 PM
    Omg the round one looks so fugly. It looks like a kids toy especially with the grey keyboard it takes away the professional trait from the original Passport. Hands down the square Passport for me because the design is much cleaner, sharper and more professional.
    raqball and tomsobon like this.
    01-07-15 05:11 PM
    At least we have the choice: think about iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus...

We have Passport squared and Passport rounded...

:-P
    thymaster and Umaima_B_Dia like this.
    01-07-15 05:15 PM
    It looks like an enlarged Q5

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 05:19 PM
    You **** off some people that just bought the device and now you take on more manufacturing costs
    I agree but, from the sounds of it, ATT wasn't going to pick it up unless it had a slight redesign. I guess you have to choose to spend more money on manufacturing costs or choose to not have a US carrier on board?
    01-07-15 05:24 PM
    It looks like an enlarged Q5

Posted via CB10
    Please. The Q5 wishes it could look this sexy.
    01-07-15 05:26 PM
    You **** off some people that just bought the device and now you take on more manufacturing costs
    I just purchased an unlocked Passport and I'm not in the least bit upset over this. I'm on AT&T but I only buy unlocked phones for a few reasons. 1) No ugly AT&T logo on them. 2) No AT&T bloat on them.

As far as the cost goes, looks like AT&T customers are paying it as the AT&T version is $50 more than the unlocked one..

I'm not really diggin' the rounded version anyway so for me the unlocked version is a win-win.
    thymaster likes this.
    01-07-15 05:28 PM
    Maybe they want to see how the round form factor is selling in terms of their design of passport two!

I bet they'll bring back the fourth row of keyboard since everybody misses it!

We'll know more at MWC Barcelona at the beginning of March!

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    01-07-15 05:29 PM
    Passport - to round or not to round...

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=11237800

Right, Bla1ze, my fault, didn't check the Passport section first before creating thread...

:-D

Edit:
    Are we getting a poll on the CB home page now, Bla1ze?
    Polite request...

  A berry good start and God's blessing to all in 2015 ...  
    The round one has lost a lot of appeal,
    and gained only little by adopting the "Classic" family face...

  A berry good start and God's blessing to all in 2015 ...  
    01-07-15 05:31 PM
    This redesign could be more than skin deep. Perhaps the new rounded frame addresses corkscrew twisting issues, and maybe the screen is now attached in a more secure fashion. This could be Passport v1.2. An update to fix problems, but not a successor. I'd be interested to see a tear down comparison with the original PP.

This rounded version might be AT&T exclusive for now, but if it is a complete redesign to address design issues with the original PP and not just reskinned at AT&T's request, I think it's possible once the current stock of square devices are sold out globally, this round redesign would pop in for restocking and completely replace the old v1.0 device for unlocked sales and other carriers around the world.
    01-07-15 05:42 PM
    On September 25, my black Passport arrived on my doorstep, and I live in California.

So no, John Chen was not lying.

at&t is its own company, blame at&t for dragging their feet after announcing that they'd carry the device.
    Look... I bought from Amazon too. Don't try to obfuscate the facts.

Chen stood in front of the world on 24 Sep 2014 and told the world that AT&T would offer the device he was holding in his hands on exclusive contract by end of that year.

Bald faced lie... nothing else. He obviously knew at the time it wasn't true.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 05:44 PM
    Look... I bought from Amazon too. Don't try to obfuscate the facts.

Chen stood in front of the world on 24 Sep 2014 and told the world that AT&T would offer the device he was holding in his hands on exclusive contract by end of that year.

Bald faced lie... nothing else. He obviously knew at the time it wasn't true.

Posted via CB10
    I doubt he meant AT&T would sell that phone in his hand. That wouldn't be much business... to sell one pre-owned device.

Posted via CB10
    raqball, iBelieveInBB and SK122387 like this.
    01-07-15 05:49 PM
    To be honest, I need to hold an AT&T Passport in my hand, next to my BlackBerry unlocked one. Then I can truly comment. Having said that, I showed my missus images of the AT&T version. She prefers mine, and stated that AT&T were trying to make their version like an iPhone or Samsung device.

Hmm...

The Poll should have another option, "I'll decide when I hold the AT&T version next to my current model"
    01-07-15 06:15 PM
    I'm liking the rounded Passport. Guess it pays to wait.
    mkelley65 likes this.
    01-07-15 06:21 PM
    I personally wouldn't mind trying one out. I'd be curious to see if the larger bottom bezel/chin would help the ergonomics.

I wouldn't be surprised either if this is an attempt to fix/improve on the original design and just use AT&T's request as being the excuse to deflect that they made some design mistakes with the first version. If the fully square version eventually disappears in a few months and the only version left is the curved one, that would be one way to know. Afterall, it would seem more efficient and cost effective to produce only one model and if the curved one has broader appeal, that would be the better choice.
    thedose and bbvj like this.
    01-07-15 06:40 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised either if this is an attempt to fix/improve on the original design and just use AT&T's request as being the excuse to deflect that they made some design mistakes with the first version. If the fully square version eventually disappears in a few months and the only version left is the curved one, that would be one way to know. Afterall, it would seem more efficient and cost effective to produce only one model and if the curved one has broader appeal, that would be the better choice.
    I'm thinking the same thing. I say this after noticing that for me personally, when typing for an extended period of time, my hands begin hurting and I have to give my passport a break. The chin could very well be what was missing initially, and after all those reports of screen lifting and corkscrew twists, this new design could be the fix they were going to implement without drawing attention to themselves (Blackberry).

I mean, how bad would it look for a company to design and release a product, and then later say "oh, we made a better version so we're going to push that and d/c the original"--it would be much easier to play it off as ATT's request...

I can't wait to get mine!!!

Omnia>i3G>9630>9650>Droid Pro>9650>9930>i4S>i5>i5S>Passport
    bbvj likes this.
    01-07-15 06:49 PM
    Are your passports rounded?

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    01-07-15 06:52 PM
    For Chen it is all about the bottom line, as it should be given Blackberry's recent past.

I don't think JC is going to repeat the sins of the past and overproduce.

A bunch of PPs are sold, unlocked and at full price, on Amazon and ShopBB, people take them to Sprint or ATT (speaking of the US here...), ATT takes notice...and strikes a deal.

As for those who have purchased a PP already, we'll get over our feelings of betrayal and buy the new one, just like we've bought varying color versions after the black was first brought out.

Good for Blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 07:24 PM
283 ... 23456 ...