View Poll Results: Round Corner Passport or Tradional Style Passport

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Round Cornered Passport

83 52.53%
  • Straight Edged Passport

75 47.47%
    i dont mind either or but probably go with the square since it is a little smaller (shorter)
    01-07-15 08:05 PM
    I love it. Too bad I'm on TMobile.
    01-07-15 08:07 PM
    For me, it's not even about the rounded corners. That fugly AT&T logo on the back is enough of a dealbreaker to override any appeal the rounded corners might have.
    A nice case will take care of that.

Yup.... Plus the AT&T bloat and the fact that you will be waiting, and waiting, and waiting for AT&T to release firmware updates..

The logo
    The bloat
    The long wait for updates

All equal a big ole' pass on anything AT&T sells. I only buy unlocked versions these days and use them on AT&T..
    First leak will take care of all the AT&T boat load.
    Both non issues in my opinion.
    jmr1015 and chflower like this.
    01-07-15 08:09 PM
    [Poll] AT&T exclusive rounded Passport vs original Passport?-att-passport-compare-top.jpg

[Poll] AT&T exclusive rounded Passport vs original Passport?-att-passport-compare-buttons.jpg

There may be some weight to the 're-design opportunity' hypothesis here. You can tell the new metal band (which makes it a bit thicker at the outer perimeter) surrounds the screen edges much better. In fact, the screen's outer edges are tapered into the metal band creating a sort of wedge or crimp that may serve to secure the screen better than the current reliance on... glue.

: /
    howarmat and avt123 like this.
    01-07-15 08:17 PM
    I prefer the square version. It's much more AGGRESSIVE!!!!

Posted via CB10
    dmateo, neoberry99 and Thunderbuck like this.
    01-07-15 08:24 PM
    I'm just amazed BlackBerry did this just to accommodate ATT ....

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 08:38 PM
    Completely disagree. Blackberry needs traction in the US and that means that they need a serious carrier partner. If this minor cosmetic changes means that AT&T has an exclusive device, then they will push the passport in their store fronts. No doubt the redesign was part of a broader deal that comes with both companies putting a bit of skin in the game. I think this is a very good sign of better carrier relations to come.
    Verizon had an exclusive device in the Z30... How hard did they push the Z30 in their store fronts, and how much traction did BlackBerry get because of it?

Not saying this AT&T thing can't work out for the better, but I don't think it will be some miracle partnership, and I don't think AT&T is as invested in this as people would like to assume.
    01-07-15 08:58 PM
    Yup.... Plus the AT&T bloat and the fact that you will be waiting, and waiting, and waiting for AT&T to release firmware updates..

The logo
    The bloat
    The long wait for updates

All equal a big ole' pass on anything AT&T sells. I only buy unlocked versions these days and use them on AT&T..
    Load an autoloader or unlock and put a different SIM in. None of anything you said really applies to anyone here at all except for the logo maybe
    thedose, chflower and mkelley65 like this.
    01-07-15 09:12 PM
    I don't own one but if I had to choose I would go with the rounded corners version simply on aesthetics. The squared corners thou rugged in appeal I think that AT&T probably wanted to ensure a more broader market appeal and felt rounded would do just that.
    Sad thou that both versions were not part of the intro because I suspect a few peeps and female users may find it more appealing- as simply test (no scientific) conducted just now with 5 women around me showed all the women choosing the rounded version as preferred and then I looked at every device around me and realized they all were just that.. rounded - except 1 of my Dell displays.
    Attachment 325911
    After seeing this photo, I am surer than ever that I don't like the rounded version. It's not distinctive. It looks a normal generic device that got stretched out. If this is what had launched from the start I would have stuck with my Z30. The Passport made headlines like no other BB10 device, not simply because of it's width but because it's design was unique, even for Blackberry. Not only is there no competing smartphone that looks like it (Same could be said of the Q10) there's no otehr BlackBerry that looks like it. The DNA is still there but it screams "New Era" at you. This one is nondescript. It's just there. No risk, No edge.
    dejanh likes this.
    01-07-15 09:13 PM
    It's not distinctive. It looks a normal generic device that got stretched out. If this is what had launched from the start I would have stuck with my Z30. The Passport made headlines like no other BB10 device, not simply because of it's width but because it's design was unique, even for Blackberry. Not only is there no competing smartphone that looks like it (Same could be said of the Q10) there's no otehr BlackBerry that looks like it. The DNA is still there but it screams "New Era" at you. This one is nondescript. It's just there. No risk, No edge.
    Really?

Please post a picture of a smartphone that the redesigned Passport looks like since it's now generic looking as you put it.

Omnia>i3G>9630>9650>Droid Pro>9650>9930>i4S>i5>i5S>Passport
    01-07-15 09:16 PM
    I'm sure we'll be able to remove the AT&T logo by using nail polish remover like we did back in the Bold 9900 days.
    01-07-15 09:20 PM
    It's probably already been said but is there an expiration date on the exclusive rounded corners design? The fetters that come with a carrier make the overall package a negative to me.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    01-07-15 09:20 PM
    Fretting over rounded versus square corners is the very definition of a first world problem. Yawn

Posted via CB10
    GeoK, LoneStarRed and jopfet like this.
    01-07-15 09:25 PM
    I prefer the original but both are nice!

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 09:38 PM
    it's...rounded.
    01-07-15 09:41 PM
    I'm a fan of the original. While I like the look of the stainless steel band on the Classic, I find it doesn't work so well with the look of the Passport. It just reads like it's a more cheap design in my head. Some will disagree, but I know I'm certainly in no hurry to get rid of my current Passport in favour of the rounded one.

Hopefully it sells well and was worth the design cost to make it happen.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    01-07-15 09:42 PM
    The rounded just looks better to me. I've never been interested in the PP until I seen this "new" one. I just hope to see a lot of marketing soon!
    avt123 and jmr1015 like this.
    01-07-15 09:47 PM
    Original for sure. They certainly didn't need to add size by adding such a large space at the bottom of the device

Posted via my Classic Passport
    01-07-15 09:54 PM
    My nuts like the rounded corners
    mkelley65 and ponpiri like this.
    01-07-15 10:01 PM
    ^ O_o

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 and j21jam6 like this.
    01-07-15 10:10 PM
    Rounded one looks better. Looks more comfortable to hold, looks more pocketable and IMO looks more like a traditional BerryBerry and not a rectangle. There is a reason most smartphones have rounded corners. Looking at the pictures posted in post #129 in this thread, it also looks like it is more well made.

I honestly thought the original was really ugly, this new one has actually caught my attention.
    thedose and howarmat like this.
    01-07-15 10:43 PM
    Two words : Customer Focus

SQW100-1 I Rogers I 10.3.1.xxx
    01-07-15 11:04 PM
    A nice case will take care of that.
    First leak will take care of all the AT&T boat load.
    Both non issues in my opinion.
    Depending on the user. I've never been one to use a case, and I don't like messing around on my phone (so leaks, custom roms, etc.).

Conversely, a nice case could take care of the "sharp" corners of the original Passport anyway.
    01-07-15 11:21 PM
    I seem to recall that before the first passport was finalized there were renders that had rounded corners which most people here preferred. Does not BlackBerry do consumer testing ?
    The new Passport looks like the real thing where as the original and Z3 look like preproduction models. They should really consider adopting this design language for the new Rio. I like the idea of a sibling relationship between phones. The Z3 looked too much like a Sony and besides BlackBerry devices as a whole would benefit from having a common identity flowing forward from the 9000.
    Now can we please have a Passport mini just like this!
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-08-15 at 12:34 AM.
    01-07-15 11:33 PM
    Anything to make BlackBerry profitable and make people take notice is all good in my books. I also think that the new Passport with the rounded corners does not make it seem so big although they are identical in size. It might even make it more appealing to women also.

Posting WIDE with CB10 on the Blackberry Passport
    01-07-15 11:35 PM
283 ... 45678 ...