View Poll Results: Should the Passport have HDMI port like current BB10 devices?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dedicated HDMI port with miracast support

33 73.33%
  • HDMI through USB

12 26.67%
    HOW MANY PEOPLE ACTUALLY USE HDMI ON THEIR BB10 devices? HDMI VIA USB SHOULD BE FINE.
    06-30-14 10:37 AM
    I had two friends really interested in Q5 phones, they were going to buy them until they realised that there wasn't a hdmi port. I think it's rather important and it's not exactly lacking the space to add one.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 10:44 AM
    One thing that I loved about my BB10 devices is HDMI out. I don't have money to shell out for 4 New HDTVs with miracast especially since that last one i bought was two years ago. Nor do I want to have to buy like 4-5 Miracast dongles at 50-100 dollars. Thats ridiculous. I love being able to view my content and not have the need to bring an adapter and a power supply with me everywhere I go. Id rather bring a HDMI to MicroHDMI cable.

What are your feelings about this?
    A single multi-purpose port gives a LOT of options for pods, chargers, and media stands.

If you're super keen on having a 'pure' HDMI out - you can get an MHL to HDMI connector for $9.99 from many sources.

Hey - for a little extra BlackBerry could include such an adapter in the package. SAMSUNG has already started delivering handsets with the MHL interface so that the market is already ready for BlackBerry to do the same.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-30-14 12:49 PM
    I'm with you, OP. I want separate micro HDMI and micro USB ports. These standards are well established and there's no 5-pin vs. 11-pin crap to worry about. Plus, I have yet to see a very highly rated MHL cable/system.
    06-30-14 01:07 PM
    HOW MANY PEOPLE ACTUALLY USE HDMI ON THEIR BB10 devices? HDMI VIA USB SHOULD BE FINE.
    I use it all the time. Perfect when traveling and you want to watch a movie on your hotel TV!
    06-30-14 01:45 PM
    Honestly, I don't really see a difference. I currently use an adapter to use the micro-HDMI port and I'll need an adapter to use the MHL (or SlimPort or whatever it will be). It will still allow me to plug into an HDMI TV or monitor or whatever the same as I can now, it will just use a slightly different adaptor. As far as I can tell the main difference will be one less port for me to clean pocket lint out of or break in some way. (My micro-HDMI on my Z10 currently only works on a certain angle.)

I don't get it. It will all work almost identically will it not? So what difference does it really make?
    06-30-14 01:55 PM
    How do I know if I have miracast support on my TV? I know stupid question but sometimes when I go to the setup screen or "input selection" screen on my TV I see my phone listed but I think it is just showing my home network connections since all of my internet-able devices are either hard wired with Cat5e or set up on the wireless.

I am also looking at buying a new TV because do not feel like hanging my 5plus year old Plasma TV above the fireplace. Too heavy. But hea the TV came with the house when I bought it so it isn't that bad.

Thanks
    06-30-14 01:56 PM
    One of the things I detest about Apple/iOS is their use of proprietary cables, adapters etc.... One of the things I like about BlackBerry is their incorporation of standards. USB, HDMI etc.... It is so easy to connect my Z10 to a hdmi supported display via the micro to standard whether at home, office or in a hotel room. Having to keep a bunch of adapters handy will be a negative. At least to me. Others will certainly disagree with my humble opinion.
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    06-30-14 01:59 PM
    One of the things I detest about Apple/iOS is their use of proprietary cables, adapters etc.... One of the things I like about BlackBerry is their incorporation of standards. USB, HDMI etc.... It is so easy to connect my Z10 to a hdmi supported display via the micro to standard whether at home, office or in a hotel room. Having to keep a bunch of adapters handy will be a negative. At least to me. Others will certainly disagree with my humble opinion.
    Standards are great, but micro HDMI cables are not really standard. The protocol is, but the port isn't. You still need to carry a special cable with you. So really there's no difference between carrying an MHL cable or a micro HDMI one. And MHL comes with some new features.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-30-14 02:11 PM
    A single multi-purpose port gives a LOT of options for pods, chargers, and media stands.

If you're super keen on having a 'pure' HDMI out - you can get an MHL to HDMI connector for $9.99 from many sources.
    Wrong, that is absolutely not "pure".
    You cannot charge your phone and output through HDMI port with that, doesn't solve the problem

Your "multi-purpose port" is USB. Do you know what USB stands for? UNIVERSAL serial bus.
    But you cannot use it for both video output and everything else (like before: charging).
    06-30-14 02:13 PM
    My Slimport adapter for my Nexus 7 says it charges during playback so don't see what the problem is. Also supports 1080p at 60hz which seems fine by me

Z30STA100-2/10.3.0.296
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-30-14 02:22 PM
    Wrong, that is absolutely not "pure".
    You cannot charge your phone and output through HDMI port with that, doesn't solve the problem

Your "multi-purpose port" is USB. Do you know what USB stands for? UNIVERSAL serial bus.
    But you cannot use it for both video output and everything else (like before: charging).
    I'm willing to bet that the Passport will come with an MHL cable for data, power, and HDMI.

I'm also willing to bet there will be a dock for the Passport with a single plug and both USB and HDMI out.
    06-30-14 02:23 PM
    Yeah its should BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 02:24 PM
    I'm willing to bet that the Passport will come with an MHL cable for data, power, and HDMI.

I'm also willing to bet there will be a dock for the Passport with a single plug and both USB and HDMI out.
    The dock would be nice without having to have some other form of "splitter adapter" if your display does not support charging over hdmi.
    06-30-14 02:47 PM
    The dock would be nice without having to have some other form of "splitter adapter" if your display does not support charging over hdmi.
    I get that this arrangement is a little inconvenient, but this whole thread is living proof of how BlackBerry just can't win.

When they adopt new technology, people complain that it won't work with legacy. When they hang back too long, people complain their specs aren't current.

They're replacing two ports with a single one that serves dual purposes. In the long run, this will actually make things easier as more devices come out with HDMI ports that provide charging.

In the meantime, it's worth noting that the Passport has a MASSIVE battery.
    MobileMadness002 and BCITMike like this.
    06-30-14 02:55 PM
    I won't call "massive" battery until you can use it for 3 days straight again.
    06-30-14 03:22 PM
    Please tell me that MHL adapter on the Passport doesn't require an external power source. I have this on my Samsung Tab 3 and I need to attach power via the micro usb port on the MHL adapter to get the HDMI to work. I'm definitely not impressed with that. However it's an MHL v1.2 I believe.

Posted via CB10
    You most likely will need an external power source for the adapter. MHL adapter is supposed to charge your device while streaming to your TV

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 03:23 PM
    Standards are great, but micro HDMI cables are not really standard. The protocol is, but the port isn't. You still need to carry a special cable with you. So really there's no difference between carrying an MHL cable or a micro HDMI one. And MHL comes with some new features.
    Good point about the protocol being standard, but not the port. However, I've seen GOOD (i.e. well rated) micro HDMI cables at decent prices ($5 and under,) but I haven't seen highly rated MHL adapters this cheap (before seeing this thread, I didn't know they had cables now, but it's still the same result.)

Go to Amazon, for example. Micro HDMI cables are rated ~4.5 stars, while MHL cables are ~3.7-3.8 stars. And I believe this is so because the extra power requirement for MHL.

It's the same beef I have with wireless charging. In principle, it sounds cool (forgetting that the pad itself is not wireless,) but you get ****ty amperage. It's not there yet.
    06-30-14 05:03 PM
    Interesting article on anandtech?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6499/h...d-vga-adapters
    Mr_F likes this.
    06-30-14 05:45 PM
    I agree. HDMI out is far better for presentations... and, well, anything critical. Depending on Miracast or anything wifi is asking for problems and lugging around an adapter is uncool, tool. There should he an HDMI out port.

Bit, I'm still buying a Passport on the day in is released!

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 07:38 PM
    Slimport is a bit new at the moment but for wire connection out it will hopefully become the new standard.
    There's not enough space to put all hdmi,Dp, vga... on a phone with slimport you buy an adapted for any/all of these and you can use any monitor.
    If you already have a hdmi cable you still use it with the adaptor. The adaptors should get cheaper they are a little pricey at the momemt.
    07-02-14 12:53 AM
    I'll help out here for the people not understanding.

From Wikipedia:

MHL 3.0 features

On August 20, 2013, MHL announced its 3.0 specification to address the latest consumer requirements for connecting a mobile device to displays, marking major advancements in the areas of audio and video transmission over an MHL link. The first devices to include the specification are the Sony Xperia Tablet Z2 and the Sony Xperia Z2. At Mobile World Congress 2014 Silicon Image demoed MHL 3.0 powered by its SiI8620 transmitter chip. Features of the MHL 3.0 specification include:�
    ##4K (Ultra HD): Support of 4K formats up to 3840 � 2160 at 30 Hz.
    ##Simultaneous high-speed data channel
    ##Improved Remote Control Protocol (RCP) with new commands
    ##HID support for peripherals such as a touch screen, keyboard and mouse
    ##Higher power charging up to 10 W
    ##Backward compatible with MHL 1 and MHL 2
    ##Latest HDCP 2.2 content protection
    ##Enhanced 7.1 surround sound with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD
    ##Connector agnostic � uses as few as five pins
    ##Support for simultaneous multiple displays
    07-02-14 01:16 AM
    So if it comes with MHL 3.0 it can output HDMI AND charge at the same time! Bejeebus man!that's one less useless port for those that don't use them! And more smooth material for your hands to grasp on!

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    brian4591 and Thunderbuck like this.
    07-02-14 01:27 AM
    So if it comes with MHL 3.0 it can output HDMI AND charge at the same time! Bejeebus man!that's one less useless port for those that don't use them! And more smooth material for your hands to grasp on!

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    See! You understand. Now everyone else just follow along

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    07-02-14 01:35 AM
    See! You understand. Now everyone else just follow along

Posted via CB10
    Sigh... people can't be bothered to read when links are posted... gota shove it in there face.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    07-02-14 01:41 AM
66 123