View Poll Results: Do you believe right now that the Keyboard as a trackpad is a game changer?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 48.78%
  • No

21 51.22%
    No - And I am not overly optimistic for sales for the Passport. I may get one if offered at AT&T only because I have three upgrades track and I am curious about it The track pad would be nice, but not a selling feature for me. But, I can't see myself using it as an everyday device. I think it is going to be too wide rendering it unwieldy for me at least.
    08-08-14 08:43 AM
    I do think it's a game changer. I have no idea what it will mean for sales but people will notice it, they will want it. They may not want it more than the other thing but many will wish their platform did it too. Some will switch, others will not. Let's hope a lot do.
    08-08-14 08:51 AM
    Did you forget the word "bad" in your last sentence?
    Because that's my opinion of the runtime, since quite some time.
    It was and still is detrimental for the native ecosystem.
    Totally disagree and don't know why people keep persisting on this. Haven't four years of Windows Phone taught us that this doesn't work at all and that you need to shove your platform down people's throats against their will with billions of dollars for several years only to find 3% market share globally, mainly driven by dirt cheap devices in emerging markets? Only today WP is slowly taking off and are still pretty much ignored by developers when they introduce new apps. That wouldn't have helped native development at all, it would have made the platform as a whole even weaker than it is today.

It was the only right decision and the goal should be to further and further improve the runtime up to a point where it's barely if not at all distinguishable from native Android.
    sjwpenney and spikesolie like this.
    08-08-14 09:23 AM
    Totally disagree and don't know why people keep persisting on this. Haven't four years of Windows Phone taught us that this doesn't work at all and that you need to shove your platform down people's throats against their will with billions of dollars for several years only to find 3% market share globally, mainly driven by dirt cheap devices in emerging markets? Only today WP is slowly taking off and are still pretty much ignored by developers when they introduce new apps. That wouldn't have helped native development at all, it would have made the platform as a whole even weaker than it is today.

It was the only right decision and the goal should be to further and further improve the runtime up to a point where it's barely if not at all distinguishable from native Android.
    I'd argue that WP8 is in a much better place than BB10 currently because of its native base. Not by much, but MSFT is cobbling together an ecosystem surely but surely.

One could argue that BBRY was leaching money and had to make a move (and Microsoft has a bigger war chest and is more diversified), and I personally think the runtime is/was a great idea on paper, but I doubt that BBRY would do it again, knowing what they know now.
    08-08-14 10:01 AM
    The older BB launched a trackpad on the phone and market exploded. The trackpad to this day is an amazing piece of technology.

At this moment do you understand that the keyboard is now a trackpad and that this will cause an explosion in sales on this feature alone?
    I doubt it will cause an "explosion" in sales. I'd be happy to see sales pick up a little bit. One baby step at a time. It still carries the name "BlackBerry" that is still perceived to be "uncool." Had they printed "Samsung" on the device, then it might sell well, because it's in fashion to own a Samsung now. I see so many people who boast about having a Samsung, but when I ask them what features they like or what are the specs, they have no clue. It's just "cool" because it's a Samsung... Samsung is the new Apple... But at least their specs are actually pretty good.

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    08-08-14 10:17 AM
    I doubt it will cause an "explosion" in sales. I'd be happy to see sales pick up a little bit. One baby step at a time. It still carries the name "BlackBerry" that is still perceived to be "uncool." Had they printed "Samsung" on the device, then it might sell well, because it's in fashion to own a Samsung now. I see so many people who boast about having a Samsung, but when I ask them what features they like or what are the specs, they have no clue. It's just "cool" because it's a Samsung... Samsung is the new Apple... But at least their specs are actually pretty good.

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    No kidding. Samsung is the new Apple.. you either buy apple for fashion (or apps which makes sense) or buy Samsung because everyone else is getting one (people who buy it for spec makes sense) but majority Samsung i see these days are owned by chicks..and not the nerdy types that understand specs

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 01:21 PM
    I'd argue that WP8 is in a much better place than BB10 currently because of its native base. Not by much, but MSFT is cobbling together an ecosystem surely but surely.
    Yes don't get me wrong, I totally agree with that. But keep in mind that it took 4 years, MSFTs deep pockets and Nokia to even come this far. Let's be honest: BBRY was in no position to do the same.
    08-08-14 04:20 PM
    My point is that for BBRY's purposes, some might consider it a Frankenstein that didn't work. At this point, that's a tough point for reasonable people to argue. It's more important to have run one ecosystem/platform well rather than a proclaimed ability to do multiples. IMHO.
    No way a Frankenstein anything. Look at Vmwares stock. NOW there is alot of software in the world doing important things that can cost tens of thousands to replace running on old MS OS versions. Do you really think people who run old XP software in a virtual environment think its BS?
    Do you think the whole Hype From Intel about their CPUs running virtual environments in the average persons computer is Hokey Pokey ?
    NO WAY DUDE! You either bend and be the water or Lose!
    08-08-14 08:17 PM
    I don't know about an explosion but it seems that there is more pre-launch interest in the Passport from the general population than for BB10. Of course, talking is cheap and may not translate into sales.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    08-08-14 08:58 PM
    No way a Frankenstein anything. Look at Vmwares stock. NOW there is alot of software in the world doing important things that can cost tens of thousands to replace running on old MS OS versions. Do you really think people who run old XP software in a virtual environment think its BS?
    Do you think the whole Hype From Intel about their CPUs running virtual environments in the average persons computer is Hokey Pokey ?
    NO WAY DUDE! You either bend and be the water or Lose!
    I don't know if BBRY (or its investors) would agree.

As noted, the runtime is a cool achievement. On paper, it was a phenomenal idea IMHO.

In terms of doing its job -- giving BB10 a chance to compete and helping the company to survive -- it's been more of a monster, I think

While people who run XP in a virtual environment might be excited being words, I suspect folks from Prem Watsa on down might be less enthused by the runtime.
    Yes don't get me wrong, I totally agree with that. But keep in mind that it took 4 years, MSFTs deep pockets and Nokia to even come this far. Let's be honest: BBRY was in no position to do the same.
    I can't disagree.
36 12