Hi everyone,

I have a Telus SQW100-1 with official Telus 10.3.2.2226 (Software Release) / 10.3.2.2339 (OS Version) that I updated OTA.

I updated the OS about 2 weeks ago, this issue started about 3-4 days ago so not sure if related.

When I plug in my Passport to charge, it detects that it is plugged in but eventually it stops charging and no longer shows on the icon that it is plugged in. I have to do a hard reset or power off the phone and back on to get it to charge again.

For example, last night I plugged it in on my bedside table and put in bedside mode. Everything was fine. This morning I woke up and the screen was off (not displaying the clock), which is what it does when in bedside mode but not plugged in to A/C power. It has done the same thing 5-6 times over the last 3-4 days.

Has this happened to anyone else? It is very frustrating as it seems like the only way to fully charge the battery is to a full power off and have the phone charge when it's off. Anytime I try to charge it when the phone is on, it will not get to 100% before failing to detect being plugged in...

What should I do?
    08-06-15 08:06 AM
    Sometimes that micro usb outlet on the bottom can become worn and loose. Two things: check your data cable and check the micro usb outlet on the bottom with another data cable. I've had a worn micro usb cable and just purchased a new one. Check hardware first before checking software.

Passport SQW100-1 / leak 10.3.2.2252 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB
    08-06-15 09:19 AM
    Very likely the cable is no good. Get a known good cable, usually if you go in store to Telus and ask them they might give you one for free.
    08-06-15 09:57 AM
    I guess my final question would be, which of the two feels better in the hands and in the pocket?
    08-06-15 02:04 PM
    I have tried several cables, to no avail. I also thought that it ruled out a bad cable when it suddenly starts to charge after a restart.

Any other ideas?
    08-06-15 06:21 PM
    You can always try to reload the OS through BlackBerry link... backup beforehand though and it might take some time. Don't reload your backup until you're sure the problem is resolved.
    Otherwise you'll need to contact Telus for a replacement
    nvestn likes this.
    08-06-15 09:11 PM
    Thanks. Will do that this evening.

I was given a message on my phone that the phone detected a surge on the USB and that it shutdown the port to avoid damage.

I have tried 3 different OEM chargers (passport charger, playbook charger and iphone cube charger with BlackBerry cable)... all do the same thing...

Anyway, will backup and wipe to see if it helps. Will report back!
    08-09-15 02:38 PM
    I had the same problem only after a couple of weeks. My plug was bad. Ordered a premier BlackBerry charger and use my USB just to connect to my PC.

Posted via Passport - 10.3.2.2339 
    08-09-15 02:45 PM
    Thanks. Will do that this evening.

I was given a message on my phone that the phone detected a surge on the USB and that it shutdown the port to avoid damage.

I have tried 3 different OEM chargers (passport charger, playbook charger and iphone cube charger with BlackBerry cable)... all do the same thing...

Anyway, will backup and wipe to see if it helps. Will report back!
    Hi! I am experiencing the exact same issue from today. Already tried two cables and the Passport would start charging only after a restart. I did not get any warning message however. Where did the warning message appeared in your case?

Cheers

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    08-10-15 06:51 AM
    Hi! I am experiencing the exact same issue from today. Already tried two cables and the Passport would start charging only after a restart. I did not get any warning message however. Where did the warning message appeared in your case?

Cheers

I got the warning message only once (that I saw, anyway) immediately after the phone was done booting up. Haven't had a chance to wipe and restore yet, hopefully that fixes it. Let me know if you find a fix and I will do the same!
    08-10-15 09:49 AM
    Im curious about this as I've never had this issue in all of the years using a BB device. However, my first passport had a defective charger cube. It became super hot one night and then just wouldn't charge anymore. I didn't process it as a warranty claim as I had a few in my collection anyhow.

Passport SQW100-1 / leak 10.3.2.2252 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB
    08-10-15 01:05 PM
    Well, I have used the original Passport charger for the last 6 months without issues and then this charging glitch started suddenly. I will try other Usb cables and another charger just in case. The fact that the phone charges only after a restart points to some software issue IMO.

08-10-15 07:00 PM
    Problem: I can't seem to do a wipe/restore since the USB connection is not stable (it keeps dropping and reconnecting the USB connection with my laptop)... Not sure what do here...
    08-10-15 08:08 PM
    Problem: I can't seem to do a wipe/restore since the USB connection is not stable (it keeps dropping and reconnecting the USB connection with my laptop)... Not sure what do here...
    Same situation here. Tried to connect to a mac using the original Usb cable, BlackBerry link won't connect. Browsing the net for hints but no luck so far.

08-11-15 10:08 AM
    One reason I would have preferred QI on my OG BlackBerry Passport as belt'n-suspenders... alas, no..

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 10:28 AM
    One reason I would have preferred QI on my OG BlackBerry Passport as belt'n-suspenders... alas, no..

Posted via CB10
    Sorry but I have no idea what you just said.
    08-11-15 11:20 AM
    Still haven't found a fix for this... As it is, I need to fully shut down the phone every night to charge it when I'm sleeping... It's an annoying workaround... Hoping the next OS will fix this garbage... Anybody find a way to fix this?
    08-17-15 10:40 AM
    Are you using OEM cable or a different one? I find I have this problem with most cables other than the one that came with the PP

 = ♥ | 8220, 8530, 9670, 9810, Q10, Passport
    08-17-15 11:35 AM
    Still haven't found a fix for this... As it is, I need to fully shut down the phone every night to charge it when I'm sleeping... It's an annoying workaround... Hoping the next OS will fix this garbage... Anybody find a way to fix this?
    Here too the situation has not changed. However a few times the Passport has charged normally after the battery dropped below 30%. No idea why and trying to replicate the conditions. Ordered some BlackBerry cables and a new charging pod just to eliminate causes (not arrived yet). Also cleaned the port as much as possible. This is getting a bit esoteric. To top all the independent BlackBerry repair shop here just tends to legacy phones, no OS10 models. :-(

08-18-15 12:45 AM
    If there is significant play in the USB port when you plug in, very likely the USB jack anchor joints have gone cold solder and a repair is in order.

No play or wiggle in the jack? Then it's likely your cable.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Red Edition
    08-18-15 03:53 AM
    It is definitely not a port or cable problem. The fact that phone instantly starts to charge as soon as it is turned off rules out any possibility of a bad port or cable. But to be sure, I've tried multiple cables. No change.
    08-18-15 08:40 AM
    I've suffered the same problem a couple of weeks ago. Have you found any solutions to this?

Hi everyone,

I have a Telus SQW100-1 with official Telus 10.3.2.2226 (Software Release) / 10.3.2.2339 (OS Version) that I updated OTA.

I updated the OS about 2 weeks ago, this issue started about 3-4 days ago so not sure if related.

When I plug in my Passport to charge, it detects that it is plugged in but eventually it stops charging and no longer shows on the icon that it is plugged in. I have to do a hard reset or power off the phone and back on to get it to charge again.

For example, last night I plugged it in on my bedside table and put in bedside mode. Everything was fine. This morning I woke up and the screen was off (not displaying the clock), which is what it does when in bedside mode but not plugged in to A/C power. It has done the same thing 5-6 times over the last 3-4 days.

Has this happened to anyone else? It is very frustrating as it seems like the only way to fully charge the battery is to a full power off and have the phone charge when it's off. Anytime I try to charge it when the phone is on, it will not get to 100% before failing to detect being plugged in...

What should I do?
    07-15-16 11:10 AM