Ok, I'm seriously freaked out right now because I need my phone today. I just tried to open it, and it would not accept my picture password. I have successfully used the picture password MANY times over the past few weeks, including earlier this morning. Then it went to the enter password screen, which I have done. My password is simple, not possible for me to forget, and I have successfully used it previously.

It says when I fail to enter it correctly a few more times, my device will be erased. This is not good.

also, I've been having trouble with blackberry link, which just doesn't work, I think I might have one successful back up made a month ago, but all other attempts have failed.

What can I do? What happens when the blackberry is erased? will it be bricked? can I try to restore from the old backup? will it just be factory reset (will I lose all the amazon free apps I've downloaded?)

This is an unbelievable pain!!!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
    11-20-14 09:34 AM
    Everything is lost except for the SD's content, but whatever is tied to your account can be redownloaded free of charge, and you can restore your back up (provided you use the same BBID).

It's a factory reset that deletes your data, writes new useless data, then deletes that useless data; so the original information cannot be recovered by any means.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.1.1151
    11-20-14 09:39 AM
    Try using BlackBerry protect via the BlackBerry web site and change the password on the device there. Your login there will be your BlackBerryID and the password for BlackBerryID, not the phone password.

blackberry.com/protect
    11-20-14 09:47 AM
    Try using BlackBerry protect via the BlackBerry web site and change the password on the device there. Your login there will be your BlackBerryID and the password for BlackBerryID, not the phone password.

blackberry.com/protect
    It asks for your old password.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.1.1151
    11-20-14 09:51 AM
    I see. If it erases, will I then be able to make calls? surf the web, etc? just my address book, contacts, SMS messages, etc.. will be erased?
    11-20-14 10:01 AM
    The phone will be in the same state as it was when it was removed from the box, except there will be no change to the device os itself. All settings, user data will be deleted.
    11-20-14 10:04 AM
    Restart your device. I had a similar issue with my Passport last week. Took my device out of bed side mode, and entered my password and it wouldn't accept it (word password, not picture password). I tried 5 times, and it still wouldn't take it. I restarted the device, and it took the password after.
    11-20-14 10:05 AM
    I honestly think that BlackBerry picture password can glitch at times. I've had the same issue where I put it onthe correct spot the first time and it says that I'm wrong. I do it the second time and all is well. It could be user error. Just have to be more accurate.

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT on T-MO
    11-20-14 10:06 AM
    O.k, thanks. It's good to know that the phone will be useable when it erases stuff. Now here's the crazy thing...I just went to blackberry protect to try resetting the old password.

it says, "You must now set device password between 4 and 32 characters."

In the old password spot, I entered my old password which is a simple 4 character password, and it gives an error "The password you entered is too short."

This is so frustrating.

It clearly says that a 4 character password is o.k. I guess I'll have to erase my passport and start over....losing all my contacts, losing all my settings, *sighs* Thank you for your advice and information everyone.
    11-20-14 10:14 AM
    OMG! I just entered the passcode like 20 times, and every time it says "You have entered an incorrect password 5 times. After 10 unsuccessful attempts your device data will be erased" It's not even letting me erase the phone! What can I do now? this is CRAZY!

I tried finding a technical support # at blackberry, but they don't offer a technical support line? a phone company!? Surely there must be someone at blackberry I can call for help? I have no idea what to do now? I bought my phone from amazon. Do I need to call them and return it for warranty service? About at my wits end here.
    11-20-14 10:21 AM
    O.k, thanks. It's good to know that the phone will be useable when it erases stuff. Now here's the crazy thing...I just went to blackberry protect to try resetting the old password.

it says, "You must now set device password between 4 and 32 characters."

In the old password spot, I entered my old password which is a simple 4 character password, and it gives an error "The password you entered is too short."

This is so frustrating.

It clearly says that a 4 character password is o.k. I guess I'll have to erase my passport and start over....losing all my contacts, losing all my settings, *sighs* Thank you for your advice and information everyone.
    OMG! I just entered the passcode like 20 times, and every time it says "You have entered an incorrect password 5 times. After 10 unsuccessful attempts your device data will be erased" It's not even letting me erase the phone! What can I do now? this is CRAZY!

I tried finding a technical support # at blackberry, but they don't offer a technical support line? a phone company!? Surely there must be someone at blackberry I can call for help? I have no idea what to do now? I bought my phone from amazon. Do I need to call them and return it for warranty service? About at my wits end here.
    I'm not following this - you went to the Protect website to change your password... And put in the same one? Don't do that. It should be something different, because you can change it back once you gain access to the device. Try going back to the website, change it to something completely different, unlock your device, then set it to what you want.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 10:52 AM
    I finally got it to work with blackberry protect. whew! Thank you everyone for your assistance! I'm now happily using my awesome passport phone again.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    11-21-14 10:04 AM