On my Z30 I used bedside mode all the time. The back ground was jet black so all u saw was red clock. I don't use bedside on my Passport because the black background has white which turns bedside mode into a night light which lights up the bedroom. I don't understand why BlackBerry can't fix this?
    10-01-15 09:23 PM
    On my Z30 I used bedside mode all the time. The back ground was jet black so all u saw was red clock. I don't use bedside on my Passport because the black background has white which turns bedside mode into a night light which lights up the bedroom. I don't understand why BlackBerry can't fix this?
    LCD vs AMOLED, that's why.

Z30 has an AMOLED screen, so when a pixel is black it's actually turned off. Saves battery and isn't too bright.

Passport has a LCD screen, so a black pixel is still backlit. No change with battery, and is brighter than AMOLED; bad for when you're trying to use it as an alarm clock, good for when you're trying to use it outside on a sunny day.
    anon(55900) likes this.
    10-01-15 09:30 PM
    The blacks on the Z30 were nice due to the AMOLED screen and while the Passport obviously wont have the same black levels with it being LCD, I find it goes dimmer than the Z30 (in terms of the whites and overall brightness) so with the exception of bedside mode, I prefer the Passport minimum brightness. And on the flip side, the Passport is much, much brighter than the Z30 so much easier to read in direct sunlight (something the Z30 was completely useless with).
    10-02-15 09:17 AM