03-11-17 11:10 AM
53 123
tools
    I may be getting a Passport tomorrow.I ve really been admiring that device for quite sometime now. My major concern is about how long will the android 4.3 runtime survive from 2017. and also one major reason is Whatsapp. I dont care whether its the native or android version. so far as i can get it working on the passport , am good. Taking a look at the android versions distribution numbers , android 4.3 doesn't look like its gonna survive for long. If google pulls the plug, then we done. and also a major app like Whatsapp can just kill android 4.3 support easily. Please advice me whether to go in for the passport or make another choice. Thanks.
    03-01-17 05:55 PM
    If you're concerned about apps, getting the passport might be frustrating for you in the long run. Better get a phone that'll support the type of app you need in the future and there are tons out there. The keyone looks like it can be a replacement for the passport if you desire a physical keyboard and android suite of apps.

With that said, I personally love the passport for its efficiency in providing basic tasks such as reading on the wide screen, note taking, email, and the fact that I can access both the android suite of apps and blackberry world. My passport is going to outstay whatsapp as no app maker can force my hand when it comes to what I find efficient, and when it comes to efficiency and ease of use, the passport shines and there's something very fashionable and high end about the passport. Goodluck with your choice of phone.

Posted via CB10
    kwartey and ratfinkstooley like this.
    03-01-17 06:05 PM
    As far as the 4.3 runtime you don't have to worry anytime soon it will be supported for a couple more years at least. Only apps you need to worry about are apps that require Google Play Services and even then some can be made to work using Cobalt's work around.

WhatsApp has a work around also just search for any thread with "WhatsApp 2017" I it and you will find your answer
    kwartey and wuqiangni68 like this.
    03-01-17 06:22 PM
    If it's that important to you, move along. No sense hobbling yourself.
    03-01-17 06:25 PM
    Understand that many people on CrackBerry got their Passports either awhile back or dirt cheap recently, maybe both. Whatsapp support maybe there for awhile or it may disappear shortly. Passport is a fun device, however, I have a PRIV as one device and keep a cheap Android backup for my second line Passport in case I have problems with some apps moving to ART 4.4 or higher now. Unfortunately, no one really knows any company's real intentions regarding future app upgrades. As long as you can afford to risk the money on Passport as short term device, it's fun, go for it.
    kwartey likes this.
    03-01-17 06:33 PM
    thanks guys for the replies, but seriously am still on the fence. hehehe
    03-01-17 07:31 PM
    If it's the keyboard you want you could wait a bit for the KEYone, since that runs Android 7 you're set for the life of the device when it comes to apps.
    kwartey likes this.
    03-01-17 07:33 PM
    But the KEYONE still does not have the full functionality of the Passport. Like when in a webpage or app you can hit the "T" or the "B" to go to the top or the bottom of the page instantly. If your tech savvy get the Passport but if you not and are coming from an iPhone just get the KEYone.

Posted via CB10
    kwartey likes this.
    03-01-17 07:38 PM
    Nobody can honestly answer that question for you as nobody knows how long either solution would work.

If that's a huge concern than you're best to go with a current android device.

Posted via CB10
    kwartey likes this.
    03-01-17 07:38 PM
    If you value apps then the Passport and BB10 as a whole aren't for you.

 Posted via my Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.3.2163  pin:2C09CE92
    kwartey likes this.
    03-01-17 08:20 PM
    Get the passport for all sorts of basic communication and native BB10 experience, except for the android apps. Whatsapp would not remove support for android 4.3 soon. They have just removed support for android 2.x.x recently. But that said, the android app situation is getting worse each and every day.

Posted via CB10
    kwartey likes this.
    03-01-17 08:57 PM
    If you want/need to have certain apps, don't get the passport. I love my passport but I know that my app selection is limited even if I can sideload or download apks, some of the apps just aren't compatible. The Priv is a good option if you want a keyboard and apps, not to mention it's selling for around the same price as the Passport on Amazon right now. Basically if apps are deal breaker, don't get it.
    kwartey likes this.
    03-01-17 09:14 PM
    In all seriousness, it's really about knowing the limitations of the phone before you drop money on it and what your needs are out of a phone.

If you want a bigger viewing space for emails, Web pages, and books and your needs and expectations communication wise aren't more than just texts, emails, and calls, the Passport is good.

If you're dependent or want the latest and greatest apps, the Passport IS NOT FOR YOU!

 Posted via my Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.3.2163  pin:2C09CE92
    kwartey likes this.
    03-01-17 09:24 PM
    There's enough of a work around with the passport. If you are willing to tinker with it, then you should be happy. Otherwise get another phone.

Posted via CB10
    kwartey likes this.
    03-01-17 09:27 PM
    The Passport issue the best handset I've ever used. Certainly the best for getting things done/email/messaging/calls and managing files/cloud storage. Even one of the best video watching devices for YouTube and other videos online...surprisingly so.

It's a truly classic piece of consumer electronics history. But it's end-of-life, and even I am considering another handset. Either the KeyONE or the iPhone 8 or the Surface Phone in 2018/19/never.

Posted via CB10
    kwartey and ratfinkstooley like this.
    03-01-17 10:49 PM
    The Passport issue the best handset I've ever used. Certainly the best for getting things done/email/messaging/calls and managing files/cloud storage. Even one of the best video watching devices for YouTube and other videos online...surprisingly so.

It's a truly classic piece of consumer electronics history. But it's end-of-life, and even I am considering another handset. Either the KeyONE or the iPhone 8 or the Surface Phone in 2018/19/never.

Posted via CB10
    You're not going to have a much better app choice with the surface than you do with BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    kwartey likes this.
    03-02-17 12:20 AM
    Yeah and one thing too, I will actually use the Passport as my secondary device . My primary device will be an android. I just want the What'sapp to stay working as long as possible on the passport whether it's the native or the android version because I use both of my lines for whatsapp. Am not so much into app on the passport since the android phone can cater for that.
    03-02-17 12:35 AM
    Yeah and one thing too, I will actually use the Passport as my secondary device . My primary device will be an android. I just want the What'sapp to stay working as long as possible on the passport whether it's the native or the android version because I use both of my lines for whatsapp. Am not so much into app on the passport since the android phone can cater for that.
    03-02-17 01:01 AM
    You're not going to have a much better app choice with the surface than you do with BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    I care very little for apps. Most of em just rot your brain. Though that's easy to say when BB10 came with the most powerful default apps on the market.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-17 03:50 PM
    As for now, WhatsApp for BB10 will work until end of June 2017. Let's hope for a longer period. Otherwise, we have to install the Android version. If you use Passport as mails driver, keep it.

Posted through my  Z30
    kwartey likes this.
    03-02-17 04:49 PM
    Get the PP.

BB10 will last for some time, but not too long. I got the PP SE like two months ago. It is clear that android is here to stay so no real rush there... On the other hand I know that at some point in the future I'll look at my PP, and be happy to have been part of the -very- small group who enjoyed the experience of it.

There won't be another device quite like it.

CB10 on my PP SE
    kwartey and eckl like this.
    03-02-17 05:24 PM
    Get the PP.

BB10 will last for some time, but not too long. I got the PP SE like two months ago. It is clear that android is here to stay so no real rush there... On the other hand I know that at some point in the future I'll look at my PP, and be happy to have been part of the -very- small group who enjoyed the experience of it.

There won't be another device quite like it.

CB10 on my PP SE
    Very nicely said. We all do love our passports.

Posted via CB10
    kwartey likes this.
    03-02-17 05:43 PM
    I agree

I bought my Passport for what it can do now. Not what it can't do later

Sent from my ⑩ Passport SE; not running Android.
    kwartey likes this.
    03-02-17 07:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    03-03-17 08:23 AM
    I got mine last week for£75 used, messenger10 and BlackBerry facebook works fine, what's app may not work in mid 2017, but I don't care, there's always an alternative if people want to get hold of you. At this sort of price you're not really loosing out as a new phone will loose more money as soon as you open the box..
    03-03-17 10:15 AM
53 123