Picture these 2 scenarios
    Picture these 2 scenarios -

1. I go to bed (or sit down to watch some TV) and plug my phone in to charge it. As I get message notifications, I pick up phone with cord attached. If it's something I want to address, I unplug it to start typing/answer call/read messages because the cord is annoying me. Then I plug it back in. Repeat for next occurrences.
    2. I go to bed (or sit down to watch some TV) and plop my phone down on my wireless charger (I have one in both locations). As I get message notifications, I pick up phone and happily conduct my business without annoying cord attached. When finished, I plop the phone back down on the wireless charger.

Have you ever had one? I had no idea until I got my Z30 how very nice this is. I want it on all my future phones now.
    Also, in case you are wondering, I do silence my phone at night, but I also do pick it up when I see the light flashing if it's not too late yet and I'm not feeling particularly sleepy. I find the cord particularly annoying when trying to use the phone in bed.
    08-24-14 06:10 AM
    Personally having "wireless" charging on a smartphone isn't really an incentive for me to buy something. This whole wireless charging thing to me seems unnecessary

Standard Charger: "oh my passport needs charging, walks over to wall socket plugs phones in

"Wireless charger": "oh my passport needs charging, walks over to charging port and puts phone on pad"

I don't see how plugging the phone in is such a massive hassle and time consuming and how placing the phone on a pad is sooo much easier and quicker? You still have to plug in the "wireless charger"

Just my opinion don't flame me lol

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 SQR100-2
    Never understood this as well. Also, through wireless charging, some power is lost. It wouldn't charge nearly as fast as a standard charger.
    08-24-14 06:30 AM
    While I am in interested in the device there are two things that would keep me from buying it.

- not alt/shift as physical keys

can't see me typing correctly at a good speed like I can on my Q10.

- size

I am against the trend of bigger equals better when it comes to smartphones. I don't watch videos or browse the web for hours on my cellphone. An acceptable size is when the phone fits comfortable in my pocket, which the Z30 already doesn't.

Too bad since the whole idea of the trackpad keyboard is really interesting and I could see myself enjoying using this device just not having to carry it around.

Sent from my Q10
    08-24-14 06:55 AM
    How's the lag when scrolling using the keyboard? Looks bad on most videos posted, hope its improved by release.
    08-24-14 11:48 AM
    I can see the usefulness of wireless charging in the above circumstances and for many who use their phone differently than I do. There are many times when I need to charge while say watching a movie, or while writing and this is not possible with wifi charging, so I would still need both. Still easier for me (not necessarily anyone else) to have the cable. But I certainly can see it would be nice to just set the phone down and have it charge. But I would need 3 or 4 of them, as I do cabled chargers, so I can have the phone near where I am (office, outside, kitchen, living room). I currently use 4 chargers, 2 of which are hi amp fast chargers. Slower charging, especially on a huge battery like the Passport, is trouble for me because my phone doesn't sit on the charger long before I need it again. And this includes at night. But the option for others to use wireless charging could be very useful to them. Maybe because of the size of the battery this is not that practical as it might take 10-12 hours to charge?

Z30 Rocks!
    08-24-14 12:11 PM

1. I go to bed (or sit down to watch some TV) and plug my phone in to charge it. As I get message notifications, I pick up phone with cord attached. If it's something I want to address, I unplug it to start typing/answer call/read messages because the cord is annoying me. Then I plug it back in. Repeat for next occurrences.
    2. I go to bed (or sit down to watch some TV) and plop my phone down on my wireless charger (I have one in both locations). As I get message notifications, I pick up phone and happily conduct my business without annoying cord attached. When finished, I plop the phone back down on the wireless charger.

Have you ever had one? I had no idea until I got my Z30 how very nice this is. I want it on all my future phones now.
    Also, in case you are wondering, I do silence my phone at night, but I also do pick it up when I see the light flashing if it's not too late yet and I'm not feeling particularly sleepy. I find the cord particularly annoying when trying to use the phone in bed.
    Loaded story. It's easy to type without unplugging the lead. With wireless charging your phone dies mid sentence if it's on its last legs ( which, for me, it often is when I first put it down to charge).

Also. What if you want to browse the Internet while it's charging?

"Wireless" (it's not wireless) charging is a gimmick.
    08-24-14 12:23 PM
    Both situations can be addressed by a USB extension cable. Sure, it won't look as pretty, but 1) it will charge the phone faster than a wireless charger, with 1a) more efficient charging, 2) keeps charging while you use the phone, 3) isn't as expensive.
    08-24-14 03:20 PM
    Personally having "wireless" charging on a smartphone isn't really an incentive for me to buy something. This whole wireless charging thing to me seems unnecessary

Standard Charger: "oh my passport needs charging, walks over to wall socket plugs phones in

"Wireless charger": "oh my passport needs charging, walks over to charging port and puts phone on pad"

I don't see how plugging the phone in is such a massive hassle and time consuming and how placing the phone on a pad is sooo much easier and quicker? You still have to plug in the "wireless charger"

Just my opinion don't flame me lol

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 SQR100-2
    Once you have one and realize how nice and easy it is to just throw your phone on your bedside table charging stand instead of fumbling for the cord and trying to plug it in as you're tired with the lights out; you will realize how nice it is!

Wireless charges slower so I still use my PlayBook charger to give a quick top up during the day if needed, but it's so convenient for overnight charging

Posted via Z30 on CB10
    08-24-14 03:27 PM
    Loaded story.
    Excuse me? LOL It's my EXACT story every single day. It's why I love wireless charging. Doesn't matter to you? That's fine, but what's with the ridiculous insistence on arguing about every little thing around here? For my usage, I find wireless charging to be a very nice convenience. That doesn't mean it has to be the same for you.
    08-24-14 03:32 PM
    Both situations can be addressed by a USB extension cable. Sure, it won't look as pretty, but 1) it will charge the phone faster than a wireless charger, with 1a) more efficient charging, 2) keeps charging while you use the phone, 3) isn't as expensive.
    A USB extension cable is still a cable. I'm not in a rush to charge. I have a Z30. It has a good size battery and gets me through the day. I plop it on the charger when I watch TV or go to bed. It's ready, without wires, when I feel like picking it up. It is almost never gasping for its last breath of power. Have you ever had a phone with this feature? Have you used it? Sounds like you haven't. But ether way, why not simply accept that some people find it to be a very nice convenience. Doesn't mean you have to.
    08-24-14 03:38 PM
    A USB extension cable is still a cable. I'm not in a rush to charge. I have a Z30. It has a good size battery and gets me through the day. I plop it on the charger when I watch TV or go to bed. It's ready, without wires, when I feel like picking it up. It is almost never gasping for its last breath of power. Have you ever had a phone with this feature? Have you used it? Sounds like you haven't. But ether way, why not simply accept that some people find it to be a very nice convenience. Doesn't mean you have to.
    Absolutely. I'm not arguing that some people may find it useful. To each his own. I'm just saying that it's not an ideal solution under many commonplace situations such as when you need to charge fast, especially a high capacity battery. And I don't need to have used one to know this.
    08-24-14 03:42 PM
    As an owner of a Lumia 920, I've also come to realize the usefulness of wireless charging. Only when you use it day by day do you see its usefulness.

My Q10 is a hassle to constantly plug and unplug, especially at night. If it's dark, you have to first find the cable, then which side is up on the cable, then of course find the charging port on the phone. With wireless, you simply plop the phone on your nightstand (that has the charger) and then you're done.

Don't forget it also takes 2 hands to plug and unplug the phone. If I have a briefcase, garment bag, etc., you don't have to put all your things down just to get your phone. You simply grab it and go.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 04:35 PM
    Never understood this as well. Also, through wireless charging, some power is lost. It wouldn't charge nearly as fast as a standard charger.
    Since I charge it overnight and Z30 last all day it's a non issue. Charger stays plugged in all the time and I just drop it on it, it acts as a stand and clock is displayed.

To each his own, for me it is a convenience I will miss if not on the Verizon version (if there is one)
    08-24-14 05:14 PM
    I got to play with one yesterday, the screen is brilliant, keyboard awesome. And the rubberised back feels great.
    I give it two thumb up.

Posted via CB10
    You lucky dog

Q10SQN100-2/10.2.1.3253
    08-24-14 07:29 PM
    Come on folks, I've never had or used wireless charging but you simply cannot beat tossing your phone on a pad while you hop in bed instead of trying to locate your cable. Add to the fact that you can still use a cable if you insist, you've got the best of both worlds.

With that said, it sucks that the new Passport doesn't have wireless charging as I really wanted to try it out, but that won't stop me from buying one the day it comes out.
    08-25-14 12:26 AM
    At this point wireless charging is a gimmick and largely a waste of money both in added costs to the device as well as in the peripheral that you're buying to use it. Nokia gave away the chargers because they know people wouldn't want to waste money on them otherwise.

Qi charges way too slow compared to USB, especially with these new QuickCharge 2.0 certified devices and those that are shipping with USB 3.0 to allow them to charge way faster via a PC port than those with USB 2.0 ports.

All these people talking about plopping it on the pillow at night or when they're (in bed?) watching TV... What about when you're in the kitchen, or the Living Room, or the Basement, or in the Garage? You have 5 charging pillows sitting around your house? The utility is limited to one room, because you likely only have one, cause who's going to pay $100 to fill their house with chargers when they can do it for less than $10 by getting USB Wall Plugs and Cables at a Roomage Sale or something?

I have USB Wall Plugs in basically every major room in here, and when I'm at the computer I can charge through a USB port.

The phone charges 3-5x faster than a Wireless Charger.

It's not hard to find a plug at night. It only fits in ONE WAY and it's at the SAME PLACE. It doesn't move. How can it be hard to find it? I can do it in pitch dark.
    Katika99 and ediggity like this.
    08-25-14 05:34 AM
    Not sure why you say wireless charging is a gimmick when numerous users here find it very useful. To me, games on a phone are a gimmick, while many users say it's their most important feature. Additionally, BlackBerry had for many years their charging cradle which no one called a gimmick

Qi chargers are $19 on Amazon so they're hardly an investment.

Lastly, another benefit of a wireless charger is that it looks more elegant (to me) than a hanging loose cable on your desk.

Posted via CB10
    austriker likes this.
    08-25-14 06:39 AM
    What I find interesting here is the folks who have one swear by it, the folks who don't say bad things about it.

Says it all

Posted via CB10
    ediggity likes this.
    08-25-14 08:11 AM
    What I find interesting here is the folks who have one swear by it, the folks who don't say bad things about it.

Says it all

Posted via CB10
    ^This
    And the guy who starts talking about needing to charge his phone in every room in his house - is there something wrong with his phone? Lol
    I charge at night - that's pretty much it - except when in my car - I plug it in. I almost NEVER need an additional charge outside of that.
    Also - news flash - wireless charging does not mean you can't also plug in to charge if needed. I really don't get the excuse making around here.
    I wont waste any more time on this issue in this thread. Obviously not getting through to some people. Sorry guys.
    HaberNik likes this.
    08-25-14 11:20 AM
    ^This
    And the guy who starts talking about needing to charge his phone in every room in his house - is there something wrong with his phone?
    Nothing wrong with my phone, I just do IT work for VPN and Fire Rescue services dispatching and Radio over IP communication during emergencies and I need to be near my phone, always. And it needs to be charged and ready. It needs to charge where I can hear it including when I am out training and competing with my dogs... To each his own.

I have nothing against wireless charging and I look forward to a day when I can use it, but I need fast charging. Including at night, including in my yard. I don't need wireless charging now, but others want it, I get that. I am okay with that and I am not slagging it.

Z30 Rocks!
    08-25-14 01:37 PM
    I also have to charge multiple devices in order to do my work, tablet, Z10 and Z30 can all be in use, Remote Desktop on one, Web interface management and communication may all be needed simultaneously. Don't presume, or assume you are so smart and know everything. You obviously do not. I didn't slag wireless charging. I also have a laptop, three desktops, 2 VMware servers that run 26 different virtual servers and desktops to do my work, does that mean something is wrong with my computers? NOT!

Z30 Rocks!
    08-25-14 01:46 PM
    I thought this was about the passport, my gosh, I wanna know if the passport keyboard has the same feel as a Q5, can it be pressed all the way down or is there more of a touch factor to the individual keys?

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 05:33 PM
    The main problem with wireless charging is that it's not actually wireless. The charging pad is still connected to an outlet and cannot move. Your device has to sit directly in the pad while charging, and again it cannot move. In fact, wireless charging, as it is implemented today, is more restrictive than charging with a cable. The only convenience it brings to the table is not having to fumble around with a cable.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 09:18 PM
    I thought this was about the passport, my gosh, I wanna know if the passport keyboard has the same feel as a Q5, can it be pressed all the way down or is there more of a touch factor to the individual keys?

Posted via CB10
    I am quite curious about the same things

And yes. This is a PASSPORT thread. Not wireless charging. Let's agree to disagree about wireless charging and end it here.
    Continue discussion about some good first hand experience of the op using a Passport!

Posted via Z30 on CB10
    08-25-14 09:30 PM
    I am quite curious about the same things

And yes. This is a PASSPORT thread. Not wireless charging. Let's agree to disagree about wireless charging and end it here.
    Continue discussion about some good first hand experience of the op using a Passport!

Posted via Z30 on CB10
    I disagree aboot agreeing to disagree. I for one vote to disagree aboot agreeing! Who's with me? Also I just want a heavy, quality charging cradle. Pretty please Mr. Chen.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    austriker likes this.
    08-25-14 10:51 PM
60 123