Twice in the past several days, I've gotten a "this is a cool phone, what is it?" from people. One from a Millennial nurse at my doctor's office, the other a Waiter i asked to take my picture with a group at a restaurant. Both were impressed. I had mixed feelings: yes, the Passport is a marvelous design. But it is becoming a relic because OS10 is no longer supported by anyone.
    I sadly concluded last night that I will need to get rid of the newer one of the two I have and make room for KeyOne.
    Only if more people had known about the Passport.
    05-15-17 08:25 AM
    Everyone who sees my passport always says the exact same thing. "Thats a Blackberry?!... I didn't know they still made phones!" I would say 80% of the time they seem intrigued and will ask to see it or make a comment on how they wish they knew about it before their phone purchase. Other times they comment on how "Its too big". What is funny is I usually inform people that Blackberry is now making Android phones and the typical response is laughter and a mutual agreement that a Blackberry Android would never be considered.
    05-15-17 08:37 AM
    I expect they'll say much the same with the KEYone.... It is "different" and unusual to see a keyboard on a phone in 2017.

People can show interest.... but not be interested when it comes time to buy a new phone.
    05-15-17 08:40 AM
    I expect they'll say much the same with the KEYone.... It is "different" and unusual to see a keyboard on a phone in 2017.

People can show interest.... but not be interested when it comes time to buy a new phone.
    Most people use their phones primarily to consume media and/or produce visual content (photos/videos). A keyboard doesn't improve their experience. Only hard core text producers, for whom text entry/editing is more important than media consumption, can profit from the tradeoffs involved in a PKB phone.

That's why BlackBerry phones were primarily issued to executives in the early 00s. The value of their being able to communicate in near real time was worth the extra investment because it made their companies more efficient and productive.

How many people make MORE MONEY for themselves and their companies because of the quality and timeliness of their written communications? That is the population for whom the KEYone is a compelling phone. Sure, there are many other users who might prefer a PKB, but it's still a small minority of the general population.

My own belief is that, while the overall smartphone market has become mainstream, that small group of middle and senior supervisors whose email communications are critical to organizational success has actually shrunk significantly since 2005-7, when BlackBerry was at its peak.

So now, PKBs' value to most users is doubtful, however valuable it is to people like me.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-15-17 09:00 AM
    agree, BB10adopter111. However, shouldn't the definition of "smart" in a phone include those who use it for productivity, beyond media consumption?
    05-15-17 01:00 PM
    agree, BB10adopter111. However, shouldn't the definition of "smart" in a phone include those who use it for productivity, beyond media consumption?
    Well, I think so. But I don't dictate what other users want. My opinion is that, for most people, smart phones are primarily entertainment devices, and that no one is asking them to prepare lengthy written communications on any topic at all.

In the US, 14% of the adult population can't read at all, and another 21% read below a fifth grade level. Safe to say a keyboard isn't a huge priority for those populations!

In studies, only 15% of the adult population in the US can read at a college undergraduate level or above. Of those, how many write important communications while away from their desk.on a frequent basis? I would argue that that fraction of the 15% of people who have achieved "full" literacy is the target market for a PKB!

05-15-17 01:11 PM
    Just the other the guy I work with saw the Passport on my desk and said "what in the h*** is that thing" he said it in not a good way.

When I told him what is was he said come on man get with the times. Gave him the run down on the Passport and he still wasn't impressed.

His thing was not even the brand it was the shape and size.

I've gone out with this same guy using my Classic and he's had such a reaction.

 Passport SQW100-1/ 10.3.1.2876, Q10 SQN100-5/10.3.1.2576, Classic SQC100-4/ 10.3.3.2205 
    05-15-17 01:42 PM
    Some v interesting points here. BB10adopter111 may well have nailed why the PKB is not the hook it once was.

Disappointingly I've had v muted reactions here in the UK. People assume it is a work-provided niche unit and I have a proper phone to play on. Most of the crop who had BBs in the last big corporate BlackBerry era (til mid/late noughties) are ok with VKBs and androids/iphones now. There is a slight 'all work no play' vibe to BBs in many people's eyes.

I wonder what % of BlackBerry owners are self employed.

I see the thing as a work of primitivist beauty (I particularly love the look and feel of the PKB and the angularity of the build). I love that it feels like a piece of rubberised cut slate. Docked it is the best nightlight/clock/alarm clock ever. But this little corner of the www aside, I seem to be on my own on all these sentiments (and the brilliance of minidiscs).

Posted via CB10
    05-15-17 06:00 PM
    Some v interesting points here. BB10adopter111 may well have nailed why the PKB is not the hook it once was.

Disappointingly I've had v muted reactions here in the UK. People assume it is a work-provided niche unit and I have a proper phone to play on. Most of the crop who had BBs in the last big corporate BlackBerry era (til mid/late noughties) are ok with VKBs and androids/iphones now. There is a slight 'all work no play' vibe to BBs in many people's eyes.

I wonder what % of BlackBerry owners are self employed.

I see the thing as a work of primitivist beauty (I particularly love the look and feel of the PKB and the angularity of the build). I love that it feels like a piece of rubberised cut slate. Docked it is the best nightlight/clock/alarm clock ever. But this little corner of the www aside, I seem to be on my own on all these sentiments (and the brilliance of minidiscs).

Posted via CB10
    I am going to be picking up at least half a dozen OG PPs over the next couple of years as their prices trend to $0, together with docks for them. I will use them as clocks/notebooks in various rooms of the house so I can capture thoughts and complete quick tasks wherever I am.

05-15-17 06:19 PM
    I am going to be picking up at least half a dozen OG PPs over the next couple of years as their prices trend to $0, together with docks for them. I will use them as clocks/notebooks in various rooms of the house so I can capture thoughts and complete quick tasks wherever I am.

I use a Playbook in a dock for my bedside clock, and another with a dock for my desk clock.

BB10 will outlast Android! Just you wait! Stage 1: denial
    05-15-17 06:22 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living? Or maybe the better question is how big is your house!

Posted via CB10
    05-15-17 06:45 PM

I do it mainly with playbooks but Box is not functional anymore on a Playbook. I keep a Playbook in the car with an attached Keyboard. Every car should have a tablet...just because.
    05-15-17 08:20 PM
    I do it mainly with playbooks but Box is not functional anymore on a Playbook. I keep a Playbook in the car with an attached Keyboard. Every car should have a tablet...just because.
    For what?

Posted via CB10
    05-15-17 09:10 PM
    Box is not functional anymore
    Android version works fine.
    05-15-17 11:12 PM
    I think good PP's are going to get more and more expensive, not cheaper.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-17 01:31 AM
    Is that new? That is so cool? That screen is so huge! It's like a little computer.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-17 01:32 AM
    If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living? Or maybe the better question is how big is your house!

Posted via CB10
    LOL. My house is small, but I like to be able to capture ideas wherever I am, and since every room needs a clock, this would let me capture ideas and review all my synced info and files from anywhere easily.

I typically turn my cell phone off in the evenings and for much of the weekend, since it's primarily a work device and I don't want to see hundreds of work emails that would tempt me to respond. I wouldn't put my customer-facing email accounts on the PPs, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Oh. As for what I do for a living. I run a one-person boutique consultancy focused on analytics for a wide range of domains, including Sales, CRM, Technology Uptake and Customer Success, Enterprise Learning, Healthcare Operations, Supply Chain and Workforce Optimization.
    05-16-17 08:10 AM
    I get questions pretty well every time I sit down on the plane... which is about 6-10 times per week.

Last week, I had to pull out my PP to get and address for a client and he kinda gave the phone a funny look. Then, 10 minutes later, when the LAN at his office died, I loaded the audit template from my Onedrive files and proceeded to document the full 2nd quarter Quality system audit on my Passport.

It was just a simple multi-tab excel workbook, but the client asked at the end of the three audit where he could buy some Passports for his staff.

Chris - Posted from my PP SE on CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    05-16-17 05:55 PM