Greetings all!

I am a tech/gadget junkie and have been for some time now. I have used and enjoyed Nokia Lumia Windows Phones, HTC, Samsung, Motorola and LG phones to varying degrees of success. Most of those experiences have been with Verizon with some being on AT&T. In any event, I have NEVER used a Blackberry phone. Ever. I always thought that RIM was a little behind the times and security and keyboards weren't the strongest of selling points to me especially considering their hardware and OS form factor. Well, ALOT has changed over the course of the years and I must admit that I really like what Blackberry has done with the design and construction of the Passport.

I just ordered an unlocked Passport on Amazon and am feeling confident with my purchase. Even though I am with Verizon for my daily driver, (the excellent and rooted, LG G3), I plan to purchase a nano SIM for the Passport with whatever GSM cellular service best suits my needs for my soon to be for business phone.

Its good to see that Blackberry is heading in the right direction especially since they have been on the brink for so long, (I completely wrote them off a long time ago as a non-factor, especially in light of the progress that Windows Phone was able to make over the last few years. Blackberry being able to produced a solidly built and designed piece of hardware that bucks the trends and established form factors is an impressive feat made all the more so when you consider the market beating they have taken in recent years.

The Passport for all accounts and purposes looks like it may make fresh inroads into the enterprise realm that BB dominated for so long. The form factor is radically different from the established candy bar 16:9 ratio that we are so accustomed to, however to me that just adds to how unique and well equipped the device is to handle certain tasks. The Passport may not outsell the Apple and Samsung monsters at the top of the cell phone tech food chain, however, BB has shown that they have the moxie and design strategists and engineers to pull off a phone that can compete with the rest and best of what Android and iOS hardware/software have to offer. Competition at every level benefits us all as consumers, pushing OEM's to innovate further to compete for our hard earned dollars.

This time around it looks as if BB has managed to snag some of mine. lol

What specifically swayed me?

Work integration, (still probably the best in the world), solid construction with a premium build.
    The excellent screen that offers more room to breath for web pages and document review/creation.
    The smoothness of the OS that manages to incorporate many cues from Android, iOS and even WebOS for one seamless way to communicate.
    The huge battery and subsequent battery life benefit.
    The physical keyboard that can never be considered a bad thing
    The ability to sideload Google apps and even the Playstore via Snap
    Expandable memory and a decent camera.

I am sure to go over more specifics once I get the device in my hands and I look forward to sharing with you all and garnering some feedback based on my observations, however if the 50 reviews and articles I have seen and read regarding the Passport are any consensus indication, it looks like I will not regret my decision.

I look forward to sharing more thoughts on this unique device after it arrives to me on Tuesday.
    Until then, CIAO!

Thanks for having me.
    02-22-15 02:09 AM
    Really looking forward to hearing your experience. As a long time BB user the new OS series phones are wonderful in my hands. The Passport size keeps me on a Z30 for now. Maybe one day...

Best of luck with your new baby.
    Elite1 likes this.
    02-23-15 12:45 PM
    I think you are going to really enjoy the OS, so be sure to give it a fair chance. Try using it as your daily go to device, and I think you might be surprised at how much it really can be king! Congrats on your new Passport!
    Elite1 likes this.
    02-23-15 01:00 PM
    Thanks GUYS! It's due to arrive at my office tomorrow! I'm PSYCHED. I really will give it the ole college try to use as my every day driver. And JWILL I really enjoy your YouTube videos. Keep up the good work! I'll be back soon with my detailed impressions!

Peace
    sin-co and Elite1 like this.
    02-23-15 04:50 PM
    Keep us updated man!

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 04:57 PM
    OK WHAT UP PEOPLES!

First off, shout out to COBALT. You TRULY are the man. I now have the OFFICIAL google play store installed on my BlackBerry Passport. All I can say is: WOW.

Impressions.

The device is FAST. SNAPPY. QUICK. Mind you, I have owned more than my share of devices from The HTC One M8, the Galaxy Note 4, The LGG3, The iPhone 6+ and more and none of them feel as SNAPPY as this device. That 3 Gigs of RAM and Snapdragon 801 Processor really work well with B10.

The physical feel of the phone is great. It feels REALLY premium in build quality. The sides are a little slippery, and my devices are routinely naked, but its such a handsome device I'll deal.
    The screen is SHARP, bright and colors are accurate. The 1:1 aspect ratio and overall dimensions of the screen are awesome for most of my necessary apps and web browsing. The whole argument about the aspect ratio being terrible and horrible because of the pretty steep letterboxing are overblown. This device was not designed for media consumption. Period. However, that being saidm i certainly have NO issues watching YouTube or even a letter boxed movie or streamed Netflix program since what is visible is so darn crisp.

The speakers are loud and clear with very little distortion.

TYPING on this thing is the BOMB. I love the feel of the keys as they have a very tactile feel to them and I really don't mind the on-screen buttons that appear for punctuation. Just takes a little getting used to. Navigating around the Home Screen and app screens is a breeze.

Battery---INCREDIBLE. I haven't been able to really hammer the device just yet but I can tell from my light to moderate use thusfar that this thing can REALLY get through 24 hours of use if need be. Thats IMPRESSIVE.

I'm digging just about everything about this device. It is probably the most underrated and misunderstood device available right now.
    Everything works and works better than well. BlackBerry did a great job. I see the complaints that lower the ratings of the phone on so many review sites and they all make me shake my head. Complaining about the size and shape of the screen?

HA! Look at what is was DESIGNED for!
    Complaining about one-handed use?
    HA! Most of us shouldn't be using our phones with one hand anyway. Especially is you're supposed to be driving...DUH
    Complaining about the weight and overall size
    HA! Its a SOLID device that looks like it can take a beating and it fits in most men's pockets. Ladies? Stick it in your purse or wear better pants.
    Most of the complaints overall talk about how 'awkward' the device is and how the young bucks wouldn't be caught dead with it in public...

GOOD!!! That means that BlackBerry hit the target and created a device for grown ups, who do big boy and big girl things. THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

Look, I really love my rooted LG G3, it's TIGHT and I carry it everywhere I go. But you know what?

I think the Passport has earned the right to be my new daily driver! WELL DONE.

EPILOGUE:

I have my unlocked Passport set up with Straight Talk and all I had to do was tweak my APN settings to get Data loaded up. NO THANKS TO AT&T. People. CARRIERS ARE EVIL. They sell the Passport, (their version), and won't even support the same dang phone if its ON THEIR NETWORK but it just happens to be pre-paid. COMPLETE JOKE.

Shout out to Straight Talk. Keep it KRISPY.
    02-25-15 08:21 PM
    OK WHAT UP PEOPLES!

First off, shout out to COBALT. You TRULY are the man. I now have the OFFICIAL google play store installed on my BlackBerry Passport. All I can say is: WOW.

Impressions.

The device is FAST. SNAPPY. QUICK. Mind you, I have owned more than my share of devices from The HTC One M8, the Galaxy Note 4, The LGG3, The iPhone 6+ and more and none of them feel as SNAPPY as this device. That 3 Gigs of RAM and Snapdragon 801 Processor really work well with B10.

The physical feel of the phone is great. It feels REALLY premium in build quality. The sides are a little slippery, and my devices are routinely naked, but its such a handsome device I'll deal.
    The screen is SHARP, bright and colors are accurate. The 1:1 aspect ratio and overall dimensions of the screen are awesome for most of my necessary apps and web browsing. The whole argument about the aspect ratio being terrible and horrible because of the pretty steep letterboxing are overblown. This device was not designed for media consumption. Period. However, that being saidm i certainly have NO issues watching YouTube or even a letter boxed movie or streamed Netflix program since what is visible is so darn crisp.

TYPING on this thing is the BOMB. I love the feel of the keys as they have a very tactile feel to them and I really don't mind the on-screen buttons that appear for punctuation. Just takes a little getting used to. Navigating around the Home Screen and app screens is a breeze.

Battery---INCREDIBLE. I haven't been able to really hammer the device just yet but I can tell from my light to moderate use thusfar that this thing can REALLY get through 24 hours of use if need be. Thats IMPRESSIVE.

I'm digging just about everything about this device. It is probably the most underrated and misunderstood device available right now.
    Everything works and works better than well. BlackBerry did a great job. I see the complaints that lower the ratings of the phone on so many review sites and they all make me shake my head. Complaining about the size and shape of the screen?

HA! Most of us shouldn't be using our phones with one hand anyway. Especially is you're supposed to be driving...DUH
    HA! Its a SOLID device that looks like it can take a beating and it fits in most men's pockets. Ladies? Stick it in your purse or wear better pants.
    Most of the complaints overall talk about how 'awkward' the device is and how the young bucks wouldn't be caught dead with it in public...

GOOD!!! That means that BlackBerry hit the target and created a device for grown ups, who do big boy and big girl things. THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

Look, I really love my rooted LG G3, it's TIGHT and I carry it everywhere I go. But you know what?

EPILOGUE:

I have my unlocked Passport set up with Straight Talk and all I had to do was tweak my APN settings to get Data loaded up. NO THANKS TO AT&T. People. CARRIERS ARE EVIL. They sell the Passport, (their version), and won't even support the same dang phone if its ON THEIR NETWORK but it just happens to be pre-paid. COMPLETE JOKE.

I completely agree with you... Most devices are probably meant to be a two handed device and try to pass as one. The passport fits much better in the pocket than the 6+!
    INTz likes this.
    02-25-15 10:46 PM
    I have my unlocked Passport set up with Straight Talk and all I had to do was tweak my APN settings to get Data loaded up. .
    Maybe you can help me. I am trying to get my Data working on Consumer Cellular before I am forced to go back to using AT&T.

Can't seem to get it right (MMS sucks) and no LTE showing.

Do you have any words of advise for me?

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks!
    03-12-15 08:09 PM
    OK WHAT UP PEOPLES!

Impressions.

EPILOGUE:

Nice man sounds really good I have mines waiting for me at home. I have a lot to look forward too. I have the note 4 as my daily right now but the way your talking it won't be my daily for long. Lol
    03-12-15 09:31 PM