I'm trying to help BlackBerry with the Passport Bluetooth issue, but they won't let me.

You can search my posts and those of Smokeaire and others on BT disconnections and (some) Passports.

Long story short, I have a Passport on which I cannot keep any BT device connected, no matter what, and this includes Plantronics and Motorola headsets, a Kinivo BTC-450 BT receiver, and a Pebble Watch. This is irrespective of the OS--it was present on 10.3.1 as well, although not as bad as on 10.3.2, and, of course, there's no going back. I've spent in total a couple hours with BB Tech support on the phone, sending logs and reports, even time stamped logs when I've connected each device one at a time. After first telling me that they couldn't do anything because I had beta OS installed, I went to 10.3.2.680, which is now official, and then they told me they saw the disconnects and that my "installed software," not the OS, was causing the disconnects. So, I wiped the device, with no software installed other than whatever comes with the OS, and of course there was no improvement in the BT connections or the disconnections. I've sent the logs to BB support, but haven't yet heard back from BB. The support rep did say they could start the warranty replacement process, but that it would take a week or two to replace it.

Meanwhile, the question has become moot, at least for me, because I asked Amazon for a warranty replacement of the Passport, which I got in all of 24 hours from the time of my request. And guess what? On my new Passport, the Bluetooth works perfectly--perfectly, I repeat--on 10.3.1.1419 and then on 10.3.2.680 and then on 10.3.2.798, with all my apps, BB and Android restored (I didn't restore the settings, of course, because I figured there could be some corruption in the Settings from the old Passport).

Now I have to return my prior, defective Passport to Amazon, and I have no idea what they will do with it. Send it back to BlackBerry, presumably, but BlackBerry will never associate it with all the support logs and reports, and will therefore miss the opportunity to figure out why this is happening to many Passports, randomly, it seems.

Here's my plan--and comments will be appreciated, so long as they are reasonably polite.

The device is now wiped of all personal data, but it is passworded, and I am signed in with my BlackBerry account. BlackBerry Protect is on, and I can see the device on the Protect Web site, location and everything. There is no SIM card installed. I have placed a message on the lock screen saying that BB should associate this device with my Support # 123xxxxxx, and I also put my phone number on the lock screen. Presumably, even BlackBerry can't use the phone even after a security wipe and/or reinstall of the OS, without knowing my BlackBerry World password, under the new BB Protect plan with 10.3.2.xxxx.

Does anyone think that BlackBerry will contact me and ask for my help in getting this device to the right support engineers so they can figure out why many Passports have a BT connection problem? I've thought of talking with Amazon about it, but the returned device just goes to one of their generic return centers, and I'm not sure what they do with it at that point. I doubt they can flag it for special handling.
    Smokeaire likes this.
    06-09-15 04:59 PM
    They'll hook it up to their test software. If it passes, someone else will get the device as a refurb. If not, it'll be tossed in the garbage. No further thought will be given.

I wouldn't waste anymore sleep on this. It's a pretty rare situation.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    habs_fan likes this.
    06-09-15 05:10 PM
    I'm not seeing a lot of complaints about the Bluetooth situation as you and a few others have reported and my wife's Passport and mine connect perfectly to several devices that we have. My conclusion is that there may be faulty bluetooth modules in relatively few Passports but that the problem is so rare that the devices just need to be returned, tested and junked if truly faulty. I know you are frustrated with the whole experience but as the comment above states, I would just let it go.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 05:21 PM
    They'll hook it up to their test software. If it passes, someone else will get the device as a refurb. If not, it'll be tossed in the garbage. No further thought will be given.

I wouldn't waste anymore sleep on this. It's a pretty rare situation.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.798
    Can they get beyond the new Protect themselves? I suppose they can. But why wouldn't they want to know this sort of thing? I'm not so sure it's all that rare, given the number of posts on it here from CBers, which represents a small number of all the Passport users.

But you're right--it's sort of a Quixotic effort on my part. Probably better to spend my time rooting for the Chicago Black Hawks in the Stanley Cup, although that's not paying off so well, either.
    06-09-15 05:24 PM
    I'm not seeing a lot of complaints about the Bluetooth situation as you and a few others have reported and my wife's Passport and mine connect perfectly to several devices that we have. My conclusion is that there may be faulty bluetooth modules in relatively few Passports but that the problem is so rare that the devices just need to be returned, tested and junked if truly faulty. I know you are frustrated with the whole experience but as the comment above states, I would just let it go.

Posted via CB10
    Actually there are many BT complaints posted in this forum, Plantronics Forum, and Blackberry's own forums, all having to do with Passport BT problems. I was having exactly the same problems Ken was having. Taking his advice I called Amazon this past Saturday, said I was having BT problems, and a new Passport was shipped out that day and arrived yesterday. Having a hour commute twice a day gives me plenty of time to test the BT and...not one single disconnect, when I usually I would be ready to throw my first Passport out the window due to the constant disconnects.
    People that aren't having this issue seem to dismiss this off hand, of course they have no reason to search for this issue on other forums. Because it seems so helter-skelter the problem does seem (by the resolution by getting a new phone) to be a quality control issue in the manufacturing of the phone, not a OS bug.
    Recommendation: Having BT issues with your Passport?..get another before the warranty runs out, and have a very flat and bruised forehead from hitting the wall as Ken and I have done (and I'm sure others) in testing to find the origin of this problem.
    KenV54 likes this.
    06-09-15 05:38 PM
    Actually there are many BT complaints posted in this forum, Plantronics Forum, and Blackberry's own forums, all having to do with Passport BT problems. I was having exactly the same problems Ken was having. Taking his advice I called Amazon this past Saturday, said I was having BT problems, and a new Passport was shipped out that day and arrived yesterday. Having a hour commute twice a day gives me plenty of time to test the BT and...not one single disconnect, when I usually I would be ready to throw my first Passport out the window due to the constant disconnects.
    People that aren't having this issue seem to dismiss this off hand, of course they have no reason to search for this issue on other forums. Because it seems so helter-skelter the problem does seem (by the resolution by getting a new phone) to be a quality control issue in the manufacturing of the phone, not a OS bug.
    Recommendation: Having BT issues with your Passport?..get another before the warranty runs out, and have a very flat and bruised forehead from hitting the wall as Ken and I have done (and I'm sure others) in testing to find the origin of this problem.
    I am not arguing that people are not experiencing this issue. I am just stating that if there were 200k devices sold (probably many more by now) and only 100 or more complaints (for simplicity sakes) then in the grand scheme of things it is a rare occurrence and BlackBerry probably would not spend a great deal of time on it. I believe there are quality issues with some modules just as there are probably quality issues with proximity sensors and other parts put in the device. I agree with you that people should get their Passport replaced immediately before the end of the warranty period.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 06:34 PM